Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Flatulence
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
PLEASE keep us posted if a solution is found. Best of luck on this!

PS: I think if enough of us called into Porsche customer service about this. That we might get a better answer to what exactly it is.
I finally got my car back after having it looked at and PPFed. It is still making the same noise, the dealer doesn't know what to do. I am now engaging PCNA but have low expectations. If they cant solve it I am going to sell the car. I understand that some people can tolerate it but I simply can't, it is worse than nails on a chalkboard to me.

If anyone is looking for a 21' Lava Orange C4S with less than 600 miles on it, hit me up.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatulence
I finally got my car back after having it looked at and PPFed. It is still making the same noise, the dealer doesn't know what to do. I am now engaging PCNA but have low expectations. If they cant solve it I am going to sell the car. I understand that some people can tolerate it but I simply can't, it is worse than nails on a chalkboard to me.

If anyone is looking for a 21' Lava Orange C4S with less than 600 miles on it, hit me up.
I completely understand how you feel. It drives me nuts too. Hopefully you calling PCNA will get some action going on this to where the dealer or Porsche HQ finally figure out what it is.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:18 PM
Flatulence
Intermediate

I completely understand how you feel. It drives me nuts too. Hopefully you calling PCNA will get some action going on this to where the dealer or Porsche HQ finally figure out what it is.
What pisses me off to no end is that I have driven several other 992s and they don't make this noise. The car I test drove at the dealer was a C4S cab and it didn't make this noise. I should have bought that one on the spot even though I hated the color. There is CLEARLY a cause for this, but it seems they don't want to address it.

If anyone else has a squeaker, please let PCNA know about it. The more that do, the better chance they will be forced to address it.

Last edited by Flatulence; 07-28-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:38 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

What pisses me off to no end is that I have driven several other 992s and they don't make this noise. The car I test drove at the dealer was a C4S cab and it didn't make this noise. I should have bought that one on the spot even though I hated the color. There is CLEARLY a cause for this, but it seems they don't want to address it.

If anyone else has a squeaker, please let PCNA know about it. The more that do, the better chance they will be forced to address it.
I need an oil change. I will bring this back up when I see my dealer again. I already have a report with PCNA about this. This is my 2nd 992. My first one didn't make any clicking noises. But the PDK failed so they bought it back. When I picked up my 2nd/current 992, the PDK levers didnt work and I hear clicking. So I reported both of these issues to Porsche NA just in case this one would become a buy back too.

What's strange is, some of us have it. Some of us dont. And my dealer told me they recorded my engine and sent it to Porsche who said it was normal. But I dont know how they could record it when it only seems to happen when on LIGHT throttle OR coasting down RPM from 2500 downward. At least thats when I hear mine. 0-2500rpm on either light gas or decel coasting. And once I come to a stop. NO CLICKING at all.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 07-28-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Flatulence
Intermediate

I need an oil change. I will bring this back up when I see my dealer again. I already have a report with PCNA about this. This is my 2nd 992. My first one didn't make any clicking noises. But the PDK failed so they bought it back. When I picked up my 2nd/current 992, the PDK levers didnt work and I hear clicking. So I reported both of these issues to Porsche NA just in case this one would become a buy back too.

What's strange is, some of us have it. Some of us dont. And my dealer told me they recorded my engine and sent it to Porsche who said it was normal. But I dont know how they could record it when it only seems to happen when on LIGHT throttle OR coasting down RPM from 2500 downward. At least thats when I hear mine. 0-2500rpm on either light gas or decel coasting. And once I come to a stop. NO CLICKING at all.
Exactly when mine does it. It isn't a clicking to me, it is more of a cricket type noise. Several videos in the thread nailed it. Maybe it is the frequency of the sound, or something else about it, but I am sure I hate it. IMO the car is undriveable.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:03 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I’ve messaged Porsche East London, let’s see what response I get, or if I again have to get the dealer principal involved in problems.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:19 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Exactly when mine does it. It isn't a clicking to me, it is more of a cricket type noise. Several videos in the thread nailed it. Maybe it is the frequency of the sound, or something else about it, but I am sure I hate it. IMO the car is undriveable.
I agree. Its a more of a cricket or twirling like sound. We are hearing the same thing for sure. I almost wonder if its PDK related. Because it sounds like a wheel/gear/flywheel, who knows! that is spun up or spinning down as we stop and go.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:40 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

I agree. Its a more of a cricket or twirling like sound. We are hearing the same thing for sure. I almost wonder if its PDK related. Because it sounds like a wheel/gear/flywheel, who knows! that is spun up or spinning down as we stop and go.
I can replicate at idle in sport or sport plus…. But not normal.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:01 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
Interesting. I dont ever run in normal mode. EVER. I cant stand how I end up in 6th going 26mph. But I will try it and see. I suspect its still there, but just muted since the exhaust valves stay closed more than they do in sport. You see, the exhaust valve button is NOT a full open or closed thing. The valve still opens and closes how it sees fit REGARDLESS of what mode your in. Now, sport and sport plus will have it OPEN more than normal. But its not a 100% open vs 100% closed thing. Soul performance products confirmed this with a video they posted of them recording an exhaust vavle doing its own thing regardless of if the button was open or closed.

The following users liked this post:
Tupper (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:14 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

same here; in normal the idle revs are too low for the noise. Sport/sport plus has a faster idle speed than normal.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Seems like this topic has been hanging around quite awhile without any strong awnsers. The cause of the chirping noise is the piezo injectors and the hi-po fuel pump. All Porsche engines with piezo injectors have the noise but, annoyingly, the volume of the sound varies from car to car with no explanation as to why it varies so much. Also, even more annoying is that the sound and the volume is a bit random. Sometimes you can hardly hear it and at other times it’s as loud as hell…and it’s not related to engine temp of revs. Anyway, it’s a normal sound.

Last edited by Chris3963; 07-28-2021 at 09:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris3963:
Autobacs (09-18-2021), PSPorsche (06-14-2024), smiles11 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:25 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Seems like this topic has been hanging around quite awhile without any strong awnsers. The cause of the chirping noise is the piezo injectors and the hi-po fuel pump. All Porsche engines with piezo injectors have the noise but, annoyingly, the volume of the sound varies from car to car with no explanation as to why it varies so much. Also, even more annoying is that the sound and the volume is a bit random. Sometimes you can hardly hear it and at other times it’s as loud as hell…and it’s not related to engine temp of revs. Anyway, it’s a normal sound.
Hmm... I'm not just convinced I am hearing injector ticking. Those typically click at idle. My clicking stops once I stop moving or revving the motor. I only hear mine once I get moving and up to around 2500rpm. So to me this sounds like a flywheel, pulley or gear of some sort with something causing it to make that twirling clicking cricket like sound. Because once at a dead stop, the clicking stops. Once you give it some gas, it clicks. IF you lift, it will spin down in the clicking sound pitch until it comes to a stop. Once Im not moving and just idling. NO click.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 07-28-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:11 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Off to the dealer tomorrow for 11:00 for show and tell with a tech on the crickets.

I can do it on demand, but trying to record the noise is almost impossible.

will let you know what they say
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Off to the dealer tomorrow for 11:00 for show and tell with a tech on the crickets.

Best of luck to you. I can do it command as well. Two of the 3 dealers acted like they heard nothing. The 3rd dealer totally heard it and thought something was wrong. Only to do a 180 on me and say Porsche said its normal and our other cars on the lot do it too.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:55 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Here you go.

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?