Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:55 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Just for data collection purposes, mine, too, is showing en route to dealer on 11/6 and delivery to me on 11/13.

The most frustrating part of this is the lack of communication from Porsche (not the dealers—I think they are as frustrated and in the dark as we are for the most part). It’s inexcusable that they can’t provide some communication. And that’s considering the pandemic. There are plenty of people still working from home, and it’s far from out-of-line to expect them to check with the government affairs department to get an update on the EPA approval process and then send a blanket communication to dealers so that we can be told.

FWIW, there is a big warehouse in San Diego and I believe some (most? all?) of the Porsches are sitting inside that warehouse, so they’re not in the elements.

Although part of me is thinking the same thing—cancel and re-order down the road. The shine has come off in the last month or so simply due to the lack of communication.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,252 Posts

I wonder if the following has anything to do with the delays we're all seeing.

From the EPA Website: "A certain percentage of an automaker’s fleet must achieve the set PM emission limit (0.003 g/mi) each year; this percentage increases every year until reaching 100% in MY 2021."

The EPA website: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/li...icle-emissions

The 2020 911's certified PM emissions at 0.000 g/mi with a 0.003 g/mi EPA/CARB (as opposed to the E.U.) certification process standard. I would expect the 2021 911's to be no different and thus able to meet the 2021 0.000 g/mi EPA/CARB certification process standard for BIN 1. However, depending on how/which engine families VW/Porsche/Audi (it is one company) intends to certify at PM 0.000 g/mi, it could throw a monkey wrench into all of the VW/Porsche/Audi 2021 certifications. Ex: Is the 2.0L Turbo in the Macan a part of the VW Fleet, the Audi Fleet or the Porsche Fleet?

I'm rather surprised that "Automotive News" or the "Wall Street Journal" don't have any articles looking into this. It does seem to be impacting a huge percentage of 2021 MY light duty cars and trucks. If I were a franchised dealer, I'd be getting more than just a little bit irate at the moment.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 10-07-2020 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I wonder if the following has anything to do with the delays we're all seeing.

From the EPA Website: "A certain percentage of an automaker’s fleet must achieve the set PM emission limit (0.003 g/mi) each year; this percentage increases every year until reaching 100% in MY 2021."

The EPA website: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/li...icle-emissions

The 2020 911's certified PM emissions at 0.000 g/mi with a 0.003 g/mi EPA/CARB (as opposed to the E.U.) certification process standard. I would expect the 2021 911's to be no different and thus able to meet the 2021 0.000 g/mi EPA/CARB certification process standard for BIN 1. However, depending on how/which engine families VW/Porsche/Audi (it is one company) intends to certify at PM 0.000 g/mi, it could throw a monkey wrench into all of the VW/Porsche/Audi 2021 certifications. Ex: Is the 2.0L Turbo in the Macan a part of the VW Fleet, the Audi Fleet or the Porsche Fleet?

I'm rather surprised that "Automotive News" or the "Wall Street Journal" don't have any articles looking into this. It does seem to be impacting a huge percentage of 2021 MY light duty cars and trucks. If I were a franchised dealer, I'd be getting more than just a little bit irate at the moment.
Agree, Many of the cars are not customer builds but rather stock lot cars that dealers know they could sell relatively quickly and so to have their cashflow put on hold without any communication from PNA must be equally frustrating for them
Old 10-07-2020, 01:58 PM
iamwingman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Just for data collection purposes, mine, too, is showing en route to dealer on 11/6 and delivery to me on 11/13.

The most frustrating part of this is the lack of communication from Porsche (not the dealers—I think they are as frustrated and in the dark as we are for the most part). It’s inexcusable that they can’t provide some communication. And that’s considering the pandemic. There are plenty of people still working from home, and it’s far from out-of-line to expect them to check with the government affairs department to get an update on the EPA approval process and then send a blanket communication to dealers so that we can be told.

FWIW, there is a big warehouse in San Diego and I believe some (most? all?) of the Porsches are sitting inside that warehouse, so they’re not in the elements.

Although part of me is thinking the same thing—cancel and re-order down the road. The shine has come off in the last month or so simply due to the lack of communication.
Mine is in Jacksonville. But if I knew it was being stored under a cover of some sort that would take away a lot of the anxiety.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:25 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by iamwingman
Mine is in Jacksonville. But if I knew it was being stored under a cover of some sort that would take away a lot of the anxiety.
I’m trying to figure out how to confirm for my car/other cars here in San Diego. The lot and building where they are kept is contiguous with the Naval Base and security is tight. The guard did say “see that big building? That’s for Porsches” but I also saw a few SUVs outside. The big issue here is the sun. As a person who now parks his cars in the garage all the time, but has not done so in the past, I know that a couple months of SD sun can do some damage.
iamwingman (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 03:50 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Just got an email from my SM. He just got an update from Porsche showing the 911 Carerra release dates as 11/6. With no explanation from Porsche. He is pretty pissed about it.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Just got an email from my SM. He just got an update from Porsche showing the 911 Carerra release dates as 11/6. With no explanation from Porsche. He is pretty pissed about it.
At this point Porsche can give us a "release date" of tomorrow and I won't believe them until we get confirmation that the cars are on a truck. They have literally lost all credibility in my eyes. I have ordered numerous BMWs and ranges and there have been clear timelines. I get it, "its just a car", but alot of us don't feel that way and part of the ownership process is the ordering and delivery process and its been TERRIBLE. All these delays and the costs associated with transfer to the end consumer at some point, whether it MSRP hikes or whatever. I am just very disappointed. If I did not need a 4 seater to go along with my GT3, I would already be driving an R8 as a daily.

/rant.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedyj:
markchristenson (10-07-2020), Vintage72 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 04:09 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Thought this was very interesting regarding a similar event three years ago:

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...ie-up-porsches
Old 10-07-2020, 04:27 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar

New Cayenne was delayed by EPA a full year. In the article, it says

"the EPA wants to hold cars at port to make sure that everything is in order."

https://carbuzz.com/news/looks-like-...orsche-cayenne
Old 10-07-2020, 04:42 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by comis_hq
New Cayenne was delayed by EPA a full year. In the article, it says

"the EPA wants to hold cars at port to make sure that everything is in order."

https://carbuzz.com/news/looks-like-...orsche-cayenne
The article is basically saying that car makers do not even plan on presenting the car for sale for a full year in the US due to this issues. This is a little different. In this case there are cars built and sitting in the US with even more coming every day and yet they are not being released. I know this is upsetting to all and I wonder how much of it PNA could have prevented. I guess we will never know.

Hopefully all those with a "At dealer" date after mid November will have no issues getting their care on time.
If indeed some buyers walk on their cars there might be some really good deals to be had on some really well specked cars as lets face it, we do a far better job of specking cars than the average dealer. Hope for all though that it does not happen and that when you do get in your car, the ride home reminds you of why you stuck it out.

Last edited by craig66; 10-07-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:44 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar

We were in this debacle with our 2018 Macan GTS...Sat for two months at the port. Our dealer stepped to the plate with tinted windows and our second year service, plus gave us a loaner to drive...I guess just be patient...
Old 10-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Like everyone else, I hate the idea of my car sitting at the port for two months (it arrived this week), but keep in mind that these cars are pretty well covered with tape, convertible top protection, etc.
dribar (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:03 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LASDSGT770
We were in this debacle with our 2018 Macan GTS...Sat for two months at the port. Our dealer stepped to the plate with tinted windows and our second year service, plus gave us a loaner to drive...I guess just be patient...
How does one go about getting the dealer to compensate for this nonsense? I'd really love something haha
Old 10-07-2020, 05:08 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Looks to be effecting TT/S cars too now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post16951096
Old 10-07-2020, 05:13 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Everyone should keep in mind that the current 11/13 date according to my TYD is still just a WAG and more than likely will change again and not for the better. Don't expect anything and be surprised when something does happen,
speedyj (10-07-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?