Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm UK based and placed my order last month. Build is supposed to lock in Dec and I'm looking at an ETA for March.

My worry is I do not want a 2020 build, but ideally the newer 2021 builds, hopefully I get that.

Also I know new plates release at the start of March in UK, then the next one is Sept.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:10 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by LARNIOCNK
I'm UK based and placed my order last month. Build is supposed to lock in Dec and I'm looking at an ETA for March.

My worry is I do not want a 2020 build, but ideally the newer 2021 builds, hopefully I get that.

Also I know new plates release at the start of March in UK, then the next one is Sept.
You'll get a 2021...they stopped making 2020s months ago.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you're looking for some consideration from the dealer and you live in an area where winter is coming, now is the time to negotiate a deal on a winter wheel set to help offset your protracted wait. As late as these cars are arriving, you'll probably need them anyway.
Great idea...I started peppering the dealer for some concessions yesterday. Would be great if they were willing to provide a solid discount on something like this. Seems more than fair too.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

I wouldn't get too excited about freebies from the dealers. They want your business and will try to help but they are victims in this too. No revenue for them until the car can be sold.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

To be fair, this isn't anything new. The 2020 cars were supposed to be landing in the hands of those that placed orders in the summer of last year and we didn't get our cars until the end of September. As it was then, it is now -- the EPA process was the hold up. Again, this isn't a new thing. It's also not unique to the Porsche 911. The difference here is that many 911 buyers custom order their cars and have much greater insight into the process, right down to the logistics. I don't know of any other car marque where people are fastidiously tracking the location of the ship that their car is on. More typically, this process is an opaque black box for the buyer.

Yes, as part of the process, these cars sit outside in the elements. It's totally normal, again, 911 buyers just tend to focus on logistics details. Your car is sitting there covered with white plastic shipping film to protect it along with blue "pool noodles". Some manufacturers, use full zipped up covers to protect the cars in transit, but the 911, being a volume car, gets film and pool noodles. Many manufacturers didn't even bother with film until BMW got caught re-spraying cars at port -- look that one up.

Waiting sucks, but the cars are worth it.
Sorry, but I could not disagree more with the the assertion that is "common" or "not new". I've probably custom ordered 30+ luxury cars over the years from Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc. and this has never happened to me before. Perhaps, I've been lucky but I think it is an oversteer to suggest this is not "anything new" or "normal" for a custom built 160k car to sit outside in the elements for months. If I keep this car, it will be 30 odds for me. Sure, cars get delayed in production all the time -- a recent X5M of mine was delayed months for a problem with a power steering pump--they did not even start production of the car though. That kind of stuff I get but this is odd.
Brandguy (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:13 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,160 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
I wouldn't get too excited about freebies from the dealers. They want your business and will try to help but they are victims in this too. No revenue for them until the car can be sold.
Freebies? Agreed. Not happening, but you might be able to get a discount on some big ticket accessories purchased through the dealer, like a winter wheel set.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mjchernis
Sorry, but I could not disagree more with the the assertion that is "common" or "not new". I've probably custom ordered 30+ luxury cars over the years from Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc. and this has never happened to me before. Perhaps, I've been lucky but I think it is an oversteer to suggest this is not "anything new" or "normal" for a custom built 160k car to sit outside in the elements for months. If I keep this car, it will be 30 odds for me. Sure, cars get delayed in production all the time -- a recent X5M of mine was delayed months for a problem with a power steering pump--they did not even start production of the car though. That kind of stuff I get but this is odd.
I don't understand the hang-up and being uptight around the cars being outside. These things are designed to be out in the elements, get wet/dirty, and have the sun shine on them. Heck, there's a guy around the corner from me that street parks his 991 Cabriolet and three blocks up the street, there's a guy who street parked his Ferrari FF.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Issue for me has nothing to do with any concerns of the car being outside (it's a car after all), but a complete disconnect between my expectations of transparency and communication once I agree to purchase a $160k car, vs what I am getting from Porsche....
The following 2 users liked this post by Brandguy:
Babyray (10-08-2020), LifesAnesthesia (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:39 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds just like last year. No information offered. My car was at dealer before system even showed on transit truck. My location one full day drive from port.

Last edited by mathus7; 10-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting to note that many on the thread have had similar issues with EPA delays in prior years. If this happens to Porsche with regularity, why not simply tell everyone who orders a car between June and early October that their expected delivery date is early-mid November? That would allow everyone to go in with their eyes wide open, and with the ability to evaluate options, etc.

And imagine the posts of delight on Rennlist if they were then able to beat that delivery date by a few weeks!
markchristenson (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

At times, I do wonder whether Volkswagen AG is still paying for its past emissions sins, ie not being treated equally with other automakers. There's also the matter that the current administration has been openly hostile towards European automakers. I wonder if that may be a contributing factor as well. It wouldn't be the first time in history that games were played on the import side of things.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
DFW01TT (10-10-2020), markchristenson (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:24 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,485 Posts

At times, I do wonder whether Volkswagen AG is still paying for its past emissions sins, ie not being treated equally with other automakers. There's also the matter that the current administration has been openly hostile towards European automakers. I wonder if that may be a contributing factor as well. It wouldn't be the first time in history that games were played on the import side of things.
Mercedes joining the party

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...5-15566275.php
detansinn (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:50 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
How does one go about getting the dealer to compensate for this nonsense? I'd really love something haha
Repeat customer...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:04 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LARNIOCNK

Don't confuse build date with model year, like most manufacturers Porsche change their model year well before the start of the actual calendar year. It affects specs and, in the US at least, resale values just like your 'x-reg plate' does (or did?) in the UK.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

I just want my car and I want Porsche to communicate better, much much better. I will not be asking for any concessions but don't blame anyone for trying.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vintage72:
jrnottarts (10-08-2020), Wighty992 (10-08-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?