992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023 | 10:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’ve said it before, but the usual suspects will receive S/T allocations, like Manny Khoshbin etc. My question is, why do these dudes mess around with Porsche products? They’re really on a peasant scale compared to their stables. Is it just to make a YouTube video? Because they want to make $100k on a flip?
It’s sort of like asking why people who can eat anywhere sometimes go to Outback or Red Lobster?
Old 08-23-2023 | 11:51 PM
Randy M
Drifting

I like BBQ...
Old 08-23-2023 | 11:55 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Originally Posted by raymort
No, you have missed the mark.

This car is barely more than a GT3 touring and Porsche is doing a money grab by sticking a $2 gold badge on it.

The car will be excellent-just like the touring.

Don’t project your flex around if you can get one “at any price.”

Many of us are just amused how people with so much money can be so gullible to fall for the PAG “special edition” car that will sit in an air conditioned garage under plastic wrap.
People i know with special editions drive them and really enjoy them, so not sure what knowledge base you are operating from. I was fortunate to get the sport classic and drive it plenty. I will do the same with the ST. The car may turn out to be one of the great 911’s. Your comment that it is barely more than a touring by with a $2 gold badge, is simplistic and underscores the point that we just dont know yet how it will drive. We will see when it lands and is enjoyed and tested. I’ll let you know. Speaking as if you really know is hubris
The following users liked this post:
PTS (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 12:15 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’ve said it before, but the usual suspects will receive S/T allocations, like Manny Khoshbin etc. My question is, why do these dudes mess around with Porsche products? They’re really on a peasant scale compared to their stables. Is it just to make a YouTube video? Because they want to make $100k on a flip?
People lust after them, so these guys get to flex they have what others can’t. “Because I can” is a reason. Plus, these cars drive better than most of the fluff in their garage. A lot of big turbo dual clutch cars. If I had infinite money, I might replace a TTS with a Bugatti but you can’t get the same driving experience as a gt3. Maybe replace a gt3 with a T.33 ? Anyway, different stuff.

From PCNA’s perspective, these guys do drive demand and influence people. Most influencers are fancy named unemployed, but not people like Manny. You may not like them, but they are serious about their media presence.
shrimp money (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 12:23 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Maybe replace a gt3 with a T.33 ? Anyway, different stuff.
One of a Very few new cars I’d take over a GT3 or S/T, price independent.
Wilder (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 12:43 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
It’s sort of like asking why people who can eat anywhere sometimes go to Outback or Red Lobster?

Except Manny has already said he doesn’t drive the cars, and doesn’t enjoy them like others. So it’s like going to Red Lobster, ordering and not eating.
Old 08-24-2023 | 12:47 AM
DontLift
Advanced

Originally Posted by raymort
No, you have missed the mark.

This car is barely more than a GT3 touring and Porsche is doing a money grab by sticking a $2 gold badge on it.

The car will be excellent-just like the touring.

Don’t project your flex around if you can get one “at any price.”

Many of us are just amused how people with so much money can be so gullible to fall for the PAG “special edition” car that will sit in an air conditioned garage under plastic wrap.
Nah. I drive my cars. And am getting an S/T. Ain’t just a badge. To say it again, like with my R, folks with tourings think it’s the same but when they drive my R they are “whoa”. The whole is indeed more than the sum of its parts. Losing dozens of pounds up high translates into lower COG and that matters. In that way, S/T speaks to me. Again, losing 70 pounds matters. And then there is the lack of rear steer. As analog as can be these days. When I launched out of the Karussell in my R on the ‘Ring the day after collecting her, I had a smile that still comes
back when I think about it . My TWO Tourings, GT2RS and 3RS and even my 918 did not evoke that sense of satisfaction. THATS what I want and see the S/T delivering.

I have a CGT with well over 100,000 miles and another with over 50,000. Put 3,500 miles on my R in two weeks and similar for my other cars. Folks I know do the same. If only a fraction drive their S/T. But drive them we will. And a plastic surgeon won’t be able to
wipe the smile from my face.
The following 5 users liked this post by DontLift:
911Vintage (08-24-2023), GrantG (08-24-2023), neoprufrok (11-16-2023), PTS (08-24-2023), Wilder (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
I like BBQ...
There's BBQ and then there's Texas BBQ.
Randy M (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:05 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DontLift
Nah. I drive my cars. And am getting an S/T. Ain’t just a badge. To say it again, like with my R, folks with tourings think it’s the same but when they drive my R they are “whoa”. The whole is indeed more than the sum of its parts. Losing dozens of pounds up high translates into lower COG and that matters. In that way, S/T speaks to me. Again, losing 70 pounds matters. And then there is the lack of rear steer. As analog as can be these days. When I launched out of the Karussell in my R on the ‘Ring the day after collecting her, I had a smile that still comes
back when I think about it . My TWO Tourings, GT2RS and 3RS and even my 918 did not evoke that sense of satisfaction. THATS what I want and see the S/T delivering.

I have a CGT with well over 100,000 miles and another with over 50,000. Put 3,500 miles on my R in two weeks and similar for my other cars. Folks I know do the same. If only a fraction drive their S/T. But drive them we will. And a plastic surgeon won’t be able to
wipe the smile from my face.
Can you sell me one of those CGTs when you are done with them?
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:07 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bowball
I’ve requested one, though only at msrp. First new Porsche since my old 993tt I used as my daily. I should have gone for the R but I wasn’t convinced I wanted any Porsche newer than 73. I bought a mildly used cpo Macan Turbo with pp and that got me interested again in newer Porsches.
Keep using the 993TT, it's a better car.
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:11 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
Not for nothing, but the 991 T was probably the most limited car produced out of all mentioned. I believe less than 500 were made.

The 992.1 T will have the same fate. I doubt even 1000 were produced with the light weight delete and manual. They are very difficult to get.
Not quite. but yes, low. PCNA numbers were around 950 for the 991.2 T, which is less than 1/3 of the 991.2 GT3s sold in NA. 991.2 RS were about 1,400.

Originally Posted by GrantG
One of a Very few new cars I’d take over a GT3 or S/T, price independent.
I love mine and it's the only Carrera that speaks to me. It feels less comfort than the S and GTS. It's more raw, reminiscent of old Carreras that beg to be wrung out.

arrivederci (08-28-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:16 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
I love mine and it's the only Carrera that speaks to me. It feels less comfort than the S and GTS. It's more raw, reminiscent of old Carreras that beg to be wrung out.

I was talking about the Gordon Murray T.33

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-t33-revealed/

Last edited by GrantG; 08-24-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:22 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I was talking about the Gordon Murray T.33

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-t33-revealed/
Haha. That's a tad different.
GrantG (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:26 AM
Bowball
Instructor

Playing around with the configuration and question whether it’s “worth” the extra $20k to get a different color (versus a mere $4k for silver) and then another $20k to go for the gorgeous heritage interior. $40k seems a lot against an already expensive base price. Seems hard to justify. Do most on these cars go for special colors which could help or hurt if ever resold?

Last edited by Bowball; 08-24-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2023 | 01:30 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunspan
Three observations
1. The level of antipathy towards the ST, a car that none of us has seen in person, let alone driven, is endearing. Let’s reserve opinion until enough of us have driven it. Then level all the fair scorn you can muster, but let’s please base it on fact, not speculation and ignorance. There is a yawning credibility gap. You really have little idea of what you are saying.
That only applies to most, not all. There will be select few that has the privilege.

2. Ironically, the level of criticism is inversely related to one’s ability to buy the car at any price, let alone at MSRP. The lower the chance, the higher the vitriol.
I have a guaranteed car, yet I am not taking it.

3. I am dubious of those who claim they can get the car but wont, even at MSRP. Not that there are no such people, just that there are too many.

Charming, isn’t it?
Me? You talking about me?

I will probably get a 993TT, a 930 turbo, a narrow body 89 Speedster, a wide body 89 Speedster, a 73 RS, a 356 Speedster, a 3.0 SC, a 912E, a 964RS, a 911 Carrera GT or a CGT, in that order, before I will consider a S/T.

A modern Porsche manual does not excite me. They are too sterile, too precise. There is no challenge at all rowing your own gear in a modern Porsche manual, it's like clicking the shift pedals, short, precise. The charm in driving a manual car is that one needs skills, modern Porsche manuals do not need any skill, if you have 2 arms and 2 legs intact you can do it. You can't miss a shift, you know absolutely sure which gear you in whenever you touches the gear ****, the guessing game is gone. The fun of guessing is that 4th or 2nd is no more, which means the clutch pedal is now just a switch, there is no more slowing feeling if that's the wrong gear with your left leg and kick it in again to try again. Without that challenge, one might as well drive a PDK and use the shift pedals as they works exactly the same now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
arrivederci (08-28-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST