Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 12:13 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by DontLift
Nope. I Don’t chase trends. Passed on plenty of badge-engineered special editions. Cars need to speak to me (subjectively). The S/T does (very much like my R but not any of the tourings or special editions) I’m fortunate .. I’ve owned maybe 50 Porsches over the years. Bought them in good macroeconomic times and bad. Dad was a janitor and I started a few companies and did well. My Carrera GTs and my 57 Speedster and my R and my first Gen GT4 stir my soul. Have over 100,000 miles on one of my CGTs. Original clutch

The S/T speaks to me. Especially the lack of rear steer. As analog as can be these days. When I launched out of the Karussell in my R on the ‘Ring the day after collecting her, my smile didn’t leave for weeks. My GT2RS and 3RS and even my 918 did not evoke that sense of satisfaction. THATS what I want and see the S/T delivering. If it doesn’t, she’s gone

Will folks buy them because they are like Birkin Bags or whatever trendy limited edition Rolex or Patek? Sure. That’s fine by me. There are a lot of us here that are in it for what it does for them. I’m one of those selfish ones
Props to you, and enjoy your cars. Do you still have your GT2RS, GT3RS, and 918?

My parents immigrated here from Poland when I was 4 and my dad worked hard in construction and then cleaned office buildings with my mom nights. It's because of my parents that I'm in the fortunate position that I am today but it was my college roommate that got me into cars by taking me over Hot Import Nights events.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 12:17 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 588 Likes on 361 Posts

Nope. I Don’t chase trends. Passed on plenty of badge-engineered special editions. Cars need to speak to me (subjectively). The S/T does (very much like my R but not any of the tourings or special editions) I’m fortunate .. I’ve owned maybe 50 Porsches over the years. Bought them in good macroeconomic times and bad. Dad was a janitor and I started a few companies and did well. My Carrera GTs and my 57 Speedster and my R and my first Gen GT4 stir my soul. Have over 100,000 miles on one of my CGTs. Original clutch

The S/T speaks to me. Especially the lack of rear steer. As analog as can be these days. When I launched out of the Karussell in my R on the ‘Ring the day after collecting her, my smile didn’t leave for weeks. My GT2RS and 3RS and even my 918 did not evoke that sense of satisfaction. THATS what I want and see the S/T delivering. If it doesn’t, she’s gone

Will folks buy them because they are like Birkin Bags or whatever trendy limited edition Rolex or Patek? Sure. That’s fine by me. There are a lot of us here that are in it for what it does for them. I’m one of those selfish ones
Its not about the direction of the cars you've had, its the direction the new Porsches are going. Its merely that the ST speaks to one central point, marketing. Just take a step back and evaluate all the "special" 911s that have come out for My23/my24. You as a brand loyalist can appreciate innovation and tradition hybrid into one package and the ST just skirts away from both those principles to the direction of the marketing team and I can appreciate that for what it has done for the brand, but not the car.

I truly feel Porsche is afraid to build a successor to the 918 for fear of backlash and is caught in the toilet bowl swirl of how many 911 variants can we make and keep relevance and hype.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:04 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Have over 100,000 miles on one of my CGTs. Original clutch
Old 08-21-2023, 01:20 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Its not about the direction of the cars you've had, its the direction the new Porsches are going. Its merely that the ST speaks to one central point, marketing. Just take a step back and evaluate all the "special" 911s that have come out for My23/my24. You as a brand loyalist can appreciate innovation and tradition hybrid into one package and the ST just skirts away from both those principles to the direction of the marketing team and I can appreciate that for what it has done for the brand, but not the car.

I truly feel Porsche is afraid to build a successor to the 918 for fear of backlash and is caught in the toilet bowl swirl of how many 911 variants can we make and keep relevance and hype.
Reading this makes me feel sad for you. I understand your POV, but that's all it is: one man's perspective. The 911 by definition is evolutionary. It is where it is because of incrementalism and it's felt from generation to generation. I've mostly owned aircooled 911s and my 992 T feels exactly like the modern version of the Carrera that it is. The only other car I can think of that has managed something similar is the Jeep Wrangler. If the ST is not innovative enough for you, perhaps you don't understand the 911? You're thinking that staying relevant is what keeps PAG people up at night? Really? Because I bet it's more along the lines of "how can we produce more so we can meet demand". I understand your point about marketing and variants. There is a press release on the Dakar with a comment from the CEO about special models becoming more commonplace that made me cringe. But one mustn't confuse marketing with the nature of the 911, even if the lines can blur between them somewhat.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
Diablo Dude (08-21-2023), PTS (08-21-2023), RealityGT (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 01:24 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I couldn't make it up for Car Week as my realtor duties called but I'll be there for 4 days of Rennsport as I've already blocked off those days in my schedule (I'm sure I'll be taking calls and checking emails though) so let's grab lunch and a beer then.
You will be able to find me at Rennsport. I will be the drunk, loud, extremely un-PC asian, you probably can hear me a couple miles away. If it's like the last Rennsport, then the 918 will be parked on the same spot on that 'island'. Likely I will be near my car answering questions. If I can get away from the Porsche duties then I can be off somewhere and have drinks off site even. If not then I could be in the Porsche hospitality trying to steal souvenirs, took 2 pillows home off the patio last Rennsport, exquisite square pillows with Porsche 70th on them. I am looking to get the 75th one to complete the collection.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:25 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Frank Walliser.

The board backs him 100%.

Whatever he touches turns golden.

He saved the 918 program. Then he led the 919's winning efforts. After that he was head of 911 and 718 and we all knew how good that went. Now he is in charge of all future products' technical development.

Porsche have a really bright star rising up the ranks very very quickly.

I got to know him because of the 918 program, I have his signature on my dash, only car he signed during the production process as that signature is factory clear coated over. He signed many more cars after but all are under the hood.
Frank is the best employee at the company; I got to know him when he was in charge of GT racing and in attendance at many IMSA races. I still message with him occasionally.

I have his signature under the hood of my GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guest89:
Diablo Dude (08-21-2023), Whoopsy (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You will be able to find me at Rennsport. I will be the drunk, loud, extremely un-PC asian, you probably can hear me a couple miles away. If it's like the last Rennsport, then the 918 will be parked on the same spot on that 'island'. Likely I will be near my car answering questions. If I can get away from the Porsche duties then I can be off somewhere and have drinks off site even. If not then I could be in the Porsche hospitality trying to steal souvenirs, took 2 pillows home off the patio last Rennsport, exquisite square pillows with Porsche 70th on them. I am looking to get the 75th one to complete the collection.
sounds like we will get along just fine
but leave a few pillows for me to swipe
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
cosmos (08-22-2023), TOporschefan (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:48 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

... taking me over Hot Import Nights events.
u must got confused.
Hot Import Nights is about girls and sex... I was not aware there were any cars there?
cosmos (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Props to you, and enjoy your cars. Do you still have your GT2RS, GT3RS, and 918?

My parents immigrated here from Poland when I was 4 and my dad worked hard in construction and then cleaned office buildings with my mom nights. It's because of my parents that I'm in the fortunate position that I am today but it was my college roommate that got me into cars by taking me over Hot Import Nights events.

I think I figured out who you are :-0
me too. drive... not trend...
but you need to get an ST..
we can see who put more miles on it
Old 08-21-2023, 10:47 AM
DontLift
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I think I figured out who you are :-0
me too. drive... not trend...
but you need to get an ST..
we can see who put more miles on it
Right On! 💪🏼
Old 08-21-2023, 11:20 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Im sure you'll love your GT3 Touring anniversary edition with bespoke g
badging.
The animus you have toward a car you can't get is quite telling.

Someone in the S/T thread posts about his build and his excitement and you feel inclined to sh*t on his happiness via implying he was duped into buying a Touring with a different badge. You must be fun at parties.

Last edited by PTS; 08-21-2023 at 11:26 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by PTS:
911Vintage (08-22-2023), BlazinPond (08-22-2023), bobsleigh (08-21-2023), Carcam (08-21-2023), Diablo Dude (08-21-2023), dixonk (08-21-2023), DontLift (08-21-2023), kyrocks (08-21-2023), TOporschefan (08-21-2023), Ukkid74 (08-22-2023), Wilder (08-21-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:20 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Was fortunate to spend time with the Sonderwunsch folks in Monterey to spec my S/T yesterday. They were incredibly graceful and allowed me to bring a friend’s son along too. I had some ideas but WOW - They had some amazing, esoteric design ideas and - after 2 hours - we walked away with a most amazing build. Then offered some tenders too and .. haven’t been this excited since my R - stay tuned …
That is awesome! Congrats. Look forward to seeing your build.
DontLift (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:50 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sounds like we will get along just fine
but leave a few pillows for me to swipe
Did you say you not going?

If I was able to swipe a couple, I will drop by your place on my way home and drop one 1 for you
Old 08-22-2023, 03:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ prolly wont make it this year.
but if you come by, we must grab some some lunch
Old 08-22-2023, 12:41 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I also agree with the above. Sounds like the S/T not flashy enough to drive for whoopsy. But that’s ok, people like different things and we all have choices.

I’ll tell you my story. I got the call to spec an S/T at MSRP and I’m not a VIP owner. The call came from a dealer in Europe where I spend the majority of my time now. I have had over 20 Porsches, all in USA, and zero in Europe. I tracked a lot and had many GT3 and GT3 RS. Well, my life priorities changed, and now I can have only one Porsche. There is no real track where I live. To me, a manual GT3 RS touring that will eat up the mountain roads and Mediterranean sea roads is exactly what I want. A numbered limited edition is a plus. The price sucks, but hey, nothing is cheap nowadays and I need to stop living in the past. It’s a more grown up car for me made by the Porsche GT department.

A couple spec questions…. Can you get PORSCHE decal without ordering the Heritage package? On USA configurator you cannot and some configurators in europe allow you to and others do not alllow. I like the heritage interior, but it will not go with my PTS color.
Also, in europe you can get “privacy glass” which essentially tints the rear side window and rear glass. Do they still keep the lightweight glass if ticking this open on?

Thank you.
Website has been updated: You can now spec the the PORSCHE decal without the Heritage package. A few other edits as well, with more to come (as teased on the U.S. site)
The following 2 users liked this post by WernerE:
kyrocks (08-22-2023), PTS (08-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST