Sponsored by:

PCCB very dusty!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 06:30 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Are you able to brake just to the point of engaging ABS without any juddering?

For me, it didn’t require “spirited” driving. A very firm application of the brakes causes it.

Who knows, maybe it is a bad batch of pads.
I haven't tried that yet, but I will when I get it back from its post-trip clean-up on Monday. I used the brakes firmly many times on the trip, but I was never close to getting into the ABS.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Are you able to brake just to the point of engaging ABS without any juddering?

For me, it didn’t require “spirited” driving. A very firm application of the brakes causes it.

Who knows, maybe it is a bad batch of pads.
the N specification on my 992 pads tells me everything I need to know. They are 2025 compliant pads and, just like the ones in the steels, are not up to snuff.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:48 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
the N specification on my 992 pads tells me everything I need to know. They are 2025 compliant pads and, just like the ones in the steels, are not up to snuff.
To be clear, I am not disputing your results. I was just responding to someone who asked if anyone had not had brake dust and/or juddering. I fully acknowledge that my driving may not have been enough to have had the issues you and others have had.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Isn’t it a bit strange that none of the early reviewers mentioned any issue with the brakes? Is it because they were Euro cars with different pads?
Old 11-19-2021, 10:03 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Isn’t it a bit strange that none of the early reviewers mentioned any issue with the brakes? Is it because they were Euro cars with different pads?
i think thats been asked like 19 times now. I assume it a conspiracy. Spike and seinfeld didn't ask about it when they had AP cornered last week.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:09 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Possible theory: it occurs after there is above a threshold of brake dust that has formed and filled in the little dimples to where the pad starts to skate and lose grip.

From one of the videos, Porsche did a tire change and wash down between drivers. It may be possible that there wasn’t sufficient dusting during their run to notice.

Just a thought.

I suspect the euro cars have the same pads. Could be wrong though.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:18 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

I am glad we are having this discussion and hope we get as many data points as possible so that Porsche can hopefully get this sorted out.
raymort (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:41 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I am glad we are having this discussion and hope we get as many data points as possible so that Porsche can hopefully get this sorted out.
Yes! Glad we are working together to figure this out?
jfr0317 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:54 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
i think thats been asked like 19 times now. I assume it a conspiracy. Spike and seinfeld didn't ask about it when they had AP cornered last week.
Funny, but seriously, even beyond the early reviews, there are dozens of videos out there by people who have driven these on track, owners and others, and none of them have mentioned brake issues. Seems odd.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:44 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Funny, but seriously, even beyond the early reviews, there are dozens of videos out there by people who have driven these on track, owners and others, and none of them have mentioned brake issues. Seems odd.
there actually have been a lot of brake issues reported by European owners, but when they started rolling in they were dismissed by this cohort of owners (rennlist) who had not received their cars with suspicion.

as far as journalists, I can only assume Porsche has taken a page from Ferrari’s playbook. The 991 parts fit fine and I’m sure they made sure brakes would not be an issue. About 2 months ago suncoast had “sport pads” available. I wonder if that is Porsche’s solution. I don’t really care, track pads are going on - but it’s going to be a headache for me administering pca events at COTA. I’ve never had to worry about gt3 drivers pancaking instructors over brake issues until now.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:56 AM
ac199
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
To be clear, I am not disputing your results. I was just responding to someone who asked if anyone had not had brake dust and/or juddering. I fully acknowledge that my driving may not have been enough to have had the issues you and others have had.
Respectfully, seems like mixed experiences, given the few RLers who've posted (perhaps a minority of those who've gotten 992GT3s): I only care about brake judder; dust is a silly cosmetic issue unless it's a cause of brake judder
Perhaps a bad sample of brake pads?
Wouldn't those affected run this issue through their dealer to PCNA to solve this w/a warranty claim, perhaps by replacing pads (esp if it's indeed a defective batch, not a more complex materials/engineering issue)?
Have an incoming GT3 w/PCCB and my dealer is already looking into what is PCNA's response/solution
Thanks to all for alerting us about this issue
Old 11-20-2021, 09:08 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ac199
Respectfully, seems like mixed experiences, given the few RLers who've posted (perhaps a minority of those who've gotten 992GT3s): I only care about brake judder; dust is a silly cosmetic issue unless it's a cause of brake judder
Perhaps a bad sample of brake pads?
Wouldn't those affected run this issue through their dealer to PCNA to solve this w/a warranty claim, perhaps by replacing pads (esp if it's indeed a defective batch, not a more complex materials/engineering issue)?
Have an incoming GT3 w/PCCB and my dealer is already looking into what is PCNA's response/solution
Thanks to all for alerting us about this issue

My belief having 2k hard miles on my car is that as the dust builds, everything gets worse.
raymort (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 10:03 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
there actually have been a lot of brake issues reported by European owners, but when they started rolling in they were dismissed by this cohort of owners (rennlist) who had not received their cars with suspicion.

as far as journalists, I can only assume Porsche has taken a page from Ferrari’s playbook. The 991 parts fit fine and I’m sure they made sure brakes would not be an issue. About 2 months ago suncoast had “sport pads” available. I wonder if that is Porsche’s solution. I don’t really care, track pads are going on - but it’s going to be a headache for me administering pca events at COTA. I’ve never had to worry about gt3 drivers pancaking instructors over brake issues until now.
So you think Porsche knew about the issue and fitted all their test cars with 991 pads? A bit of a conspiracy theorist are ya? What about reviews of customer delivered cars? I’ve watched a number of those reviews - not a single mention of brake issues.

Also, please provide a link to the European brake complaints. I’d be interested in reading them.

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-20-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:24 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

So you think Porsche knew about the issue and fitted all their test cars with 991 pads? A bit of a conspiracy theorist are ya? What about reviews of customer delivered cars? I’ve watched a number of those reviews - not a single mention of brake issues.

Also, please provide a link to the European brake complaints. I’d be interested in reading them.
Hey, look at my early post before I took possession. I was dubious. I really don’t want this “feature.” 99% of people doing normal to aggressive road driving will never experience this.

If you want to brake on the edge of ABS, you will experience it in my car for sure. Personally, the judder itself isn’t the issue, it’s the sudden and unexpected lack of brake performance at the extreme where you want it the most.

I plan to wash the brakes later today and test again to see if it’s related the dust build up or if the pads give up regardless of the dust. This may help explain why journalists didn’t notice it.

Also, it could be the journalists weren’t braking from 160 mph to 38 mph in a span of 150 yards.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

sgroer et all.
I have yet to take delivery of my 992 GT3 but reading through this thread has led me to a determination.
The ONLY filter I feel confident to apply to information on this thread is from people who I know own this car and have driven it hard. There are very few of them here.
So, for me the answer is clear and I'll take the necessary steps that will make me feel safer with the car. I'm thankful to sgroer and others who helped me reach my personal conclusion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Haku:
Carcam (11-20-2021), pfdenver (12-25-2021)

Quick Reply: PCCB very dusty!