Sponsored by:

PCCB very dusty!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 04:50 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Did your dealer mention anything about the .2 pads possibly affecting warranty?

I read a rumor somewhere, maybe here, that porsche may officially recognize this issue. Has anyone heard anything new on this?

I currently have 400 miles on mine and can confirm that these PCCB are dustier than my 991.2 GT3 PCCB.
No. in what way could the pad affect any warranty?
Old 12-24-2021, 04:59 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
No. in what way could the pad affect any warranty?
Agree, but my dealers service department suggested that it could. So I haven’t done anything yet and probably will have to take it somewhere else to do it.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:10 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

I had two independent conversations with two separate dealers. Both said the same thing.

A) They are not touching the brakes of a GT3 with anything other than what the workshop manual calls for - even if the pads in question are 991 GT3 pads

B) Any warranty claims regarding the brake system (be it rotors that warp or caliper bolts that crap out or anything else) will not be honored

They have also both said removing OPF media will be flagged (as in they note it in a repair order as an observation) and that any future engine related warranty repairs will be scrutinized. One of them gave an example that the ITBs are precisely calibrated with OPF backpressure metrics and removing it causes them to go out of whack and they eventually have fatigue. The new engine is so precise, tolerances are so small, that the engine’s “adaptive” nature no longer has the big range old cars had. In other words, they build the car assuming it will have OPFs and the ITBs dont function properly when they are removed. There could be various turbulent conditions in different rpm ranges that harmonics play a role and messing with the exhaust is not a good idea.

I am personally leaving this car stock tip to toe. Not worth the hassle. It sounds fine and I doubt the brake dust will be an issue for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
MrCynical (12-24-2021), PaulHig (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 06:11 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Did your dealer mention anything about the .2 pads possibly affecting warranty?

I read a rumor somewhere, maybe here, that porsche may officially recognize this issue. Has anyone heard anything new on this?

I currently have 400 miles on mine and can confirm that these PCCB are dustier than my 991.2 GT3 PCCB.
Freaking sucks. Should have pocketed the 10k and went with Irons.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:18 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I am personally leaving this car stock tip to toe. Not worth the hassle. It sounds fine and I doubt the brake dust will be an issue for me.
I'm with you on this. I drove one a few weeks ago and thought it sounded fine. Like you say - "not worth the hassle". Mine will stay stock as well and I opted for the iron brakes because if the PCCB are going to produce dust they aren't worth it to me. I know there are other reasons to get them but w/o the dust advantage it's just not compelling to me.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:32 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Sampling errors aren't surprising
Have driven my 992GT3 w/PCCB 500+ mis in last 3wks, inclg mtn runs: no brake issues whatever (no judder/noises/dust); no glass issues; no brake duct vs incline issues (in hilly CA); rather comfortable (w/LWB) for DD in urban CA (coming from 992TTS)
Really need to drive these things for self vs own use cases to judge
I work 100+h/wk, so only DD (to get dinner in urban CA; otherwise WFH and have no errands) and wkend mtn drive my car (only have one car) in local mtns: GT3 is addictive: its precision/aural entertainment, yet reliability, is incomparable for those who value their time and don't want multiple vehicles to solve vs limited time vs any driving; looking fwd to moving to GT3RS when it arrives, for same use case, as my only DD and wkend car
GT3 (ADM or not (not in my case, from a local dealer)) is an incredibly cheap car for the daily utility/entertainment it delivers for anyone who works/plays in places like LA/SF vs their likely opportunity costs of any car....
Old 12-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
Freaking sucks. Should have pocketed the 10k and went with Irons.
It does, but on the bright side they’re still less dusty than the 991 I had with iron brakes. Presumably, all the other benefits are still worth it. I’ll know once I get past break in.

as others mentioned I may just leave well enough alone. I only drive this car once a week or so, so it doesn’t get enough use between washes to worry about it that much.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:41 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

I’m 700 miles in on my 991.2 pads and I’ve forgotten I even started this thread. The brakes are perfect. I hope my car was just a weird thing or they made a change.
The following 3 users liked this post by sgroer:
bergx7 (12-25-2021), raymort (12-25-2021), tstafford (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 02:14 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

I had two independent conversations with two separate dealers. Both said the same thing.

A) They are not touching the brakes of a GT3 with anything other than what the workshop manual calls for - even if the pads in question are 991 GT3 pads

B) Any warranty claims regarding the brake system (be it rotors that warp or caliper bolts that crap out or anything else) will not be honored

They have also both said removing OPF media will be flagged (as in they note it in a repair order as an observation) and that any future engine related warranty repairs will be scrutinized. One of them gave an example that the ITBs are precisely calibrated with OPF backpressure metrics and removing it causes them to go out of whack and they eventually have fatigue. The new engine is so precise, tolerances are so small, that the engine’s “adaptive” nature no longer has the big range old cars had. In other words, they build the car assuming it will have OPFs and the ITBs dont function properly when they are removed. There could be various turbulent conditions in different rpm ranges that harmonics play a role and messing with the exhaust is not a good idea.

The dealership just doesn't want to deal with the issue. Not sure how they could tie a caliper bolt issue to using 991 pads which from the sounds of it probably dissipate heat better. The calipers are the same so not sure how it could be argued that pads used extensively with the calipers cause an issue. You might want to find a different service department.
The following users liked this post:
carcommander (01-23-2022)
Old 12-25-2021, 02:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
The dealership just doesn't want to deal with the issue. Not sure how they could tie a caliper bolt issue to using 991 pads which from the sounds of it probably dissipate heat better. The calipers are the same so not sure how it could be argued that pads used extensively with the calipers cause an issue. You might want to find a different service department.
That is correct. They dont want to deal with it (and its multiple dealers that said the same at different times). I dont think I'd blame them. Its a big liability for them.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

That's a bunch of BS from the dealership, but that's not surprising, unfortunately, especially about the brakes. In theory, it's possible for some completely defective pad to cause calliper damage, but that's extremely unlikely and is like saying if you use non-Porsche shampoo, they no longer warrantee paint. I never used OEM pads on GT cars before and would not start now - they never were made for track, and some just happened to work kind of ok on the track but none were good for it (by design - they are street pads). Exhaust damaging ITBs would be an example of a Christmas miracle, considering that the only part that typically breaks is the actuation mechanism, which is not impacted by exhaust in the slightest. What if you have an exhaust leak or one of the valves gets stuck open or shut or the muffler eventually cracks (all of this happened multiple times on my GT cars) - will it also make the engine blow up? They just do not see the upside in helping you so they make up stories to make them not look bad for saying no.
Diablo Dude (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 04:59 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 305 Posts

My dealer offered to swap the pads (at my own expense) before delivery. I decided to wait and drive the car for a bit before deciding. Now, I have a set of 991.2 pads that will be installed once I get the oil changed after my first 1,000 miles. Thanks @sgroer for doing the legwork.
raymort (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 06:26 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sparkhill
My dealer offered to swap the pads (at my own expense) before delivery. I decided to wait and drive the car for a bit before deciding. Now, I have a set of 991.2 pads that will be installed once I get the oil changed after my first 1,000 miles. Thanks @sgroer for doing the legwork.
My dealer installed the 991.2 pads without hesitation.
Diablo Dude (12-25-2021)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:05 PM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 114 Posts

Update, completely cleaned my wheels including the inside of the barrels, (took forever). Went for a 30mile drive, nothing super aggressive and the wheels are covered in dust 991.2 pads it is.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:08 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dieselino
Update, completely cleaned my wheels including the inside of the barrels, (took forever). Went for a 30mile drive, nothing super aggressive and the wheels are covered in dust 991.2 pads it is.
Also check the rockers…I bet there is a layer of dust there too

Quick Reply: PCCB very dusty!