Sponsored by:

PCCB very dusty!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 10:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I personally dont think you have gotten a bad PCCB set. I think the issue you have is real. But as with anything, there will always be people who dont want to believe.
Who’s not believing, Mr. Passive Aggressive?

Do you actually read posts or are you too busy thinking up your next ADM related thread topic?
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 508 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
991 pads on PCCB will last most owners 30,000 miles or possibly much more. For the overwhelming majority of cars, that is their entire life.
Not sure how someone can run pads for 30k miles. I can kill a set in 3 hours. These are my 488 discs after 10000 km and 6 sets of OE pads. If one gets pads to last 30k miles, why bother with a GT3.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:46 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
i surely don't hope you pay 30k for ceramic discs.

Anyway, when talking aftermarket pads, it is worth remembering that Pagid who is the most common manufacture for aftermarket pads for ceramic brakes, is the company behind just about all pad compounds used for ceramic brakes in the OE world. Some pads may say Porsche or Brembo on the box, but the pad material used was developed by Pagid for Textar, who still manufactures the pad material. Most pads use the ancient T4300 compound which was developed over 20 years ago. If anyone can create a safer and better compound, it is the company behind what used to be the standard. The RSC1 pad compound has proven itself for a few years now, and is superior for both CCM, CCST, and CCB rotors. It runs smoother, cooler and more quiet than T4300, and discs last longer. I have personally tested T4300 pads vs. RSC1 on track, and they run 50-60 degree C cooler. Aside from that, they last longer. Heat is what kills ceramic brakes, not pure friction. Where I am, lots of Porsche track rats run Pagid RSC 1, RSC 2 and RSC 3 pads with great results. Porsche discs are somewhat similar to Surface Transform discs, albeit a more cost effective version of a slightly lower quality, but still better than Classic CCM rotors. They are extremely tough and you can even run pads such as RSL1 and RSL29 on them despite those pads originally being developed for iron discs. I can tell you from personal experience on both road and track, and both with Ferrari and Porsche, that there has been nothing but positives when switching from O E pads to RSC1 pads. And if it is true that these new copper-free pads are performing even less satisfactory than the T4300 pads, then for me, aftermarket pads is a no-brainer.

To each their own I guess.
I wasnt suggesting the pads are not safe, I was simply stating in the event rotors go bad because they were meant to go bad (maybe manufacturing defect or calipers going bad), you may have issues doing a warranty claim. I am not saying the pads would cause this.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Not sure how someone can run pads for 30k miles. I can kill a set in 3 hours. These are my 488 discs after 10000 km and 6 sets of OE pads. If one gets pads to last 30k miles, why bother with a GT3.
So you must be paying $30,000/year for brakes alone?
Old 11-03-2021, 11:23 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
So you must be paying $30,000/year for brakes alone?
No. A set of RSL 1 pads for a Pista is about 1700 Euro including VAT and shipping. Those will last about 5-6 times as long as OE pads. RSC1 pads will last about 1.5 times as long as OE pads. RSC2 lasts about 3-4 times as long. They all cost less that the stock Ferrari pads.

Pagid pads for Porsche are about half price of what they are for a modern Ferrari. Also last about the same. With the right pads and between a few cars, I'd,say anual pad expenses are less than 5k Euro on average.

Now that all turns to crap if I run OE pads. Like with so many others, Pagid is having production delays etc. so I'm forced to run OE pads. This means I will probably go through three sets of pads this month which blows, and it will be harder on my discs due to high temps.

That's why I use Pagid. It saves me a lot over both Porsche and Ferrari OE pads, and performance is far superior, especially when mated to Surface Transforms discs.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:28 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

We are getting way off topic if we have people posting pics of a Ferrari rotors on a thread about Porsche pads.

You know as well as I do that the vast majority of GT3’s spend their days going to cars and coffee and being rubbed with a diaper.

Yes it’s wrong, but it is a sad truth.

Last edited by sgroer; 11-03-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:42 PM
Il CP
Pro

You know as well as I do that the vast majority of GT3’s spend their days going to cars and coffee and being rubbed with a diaper.

Yes it’s wrong, but it is a sad truth.
Here in Europe I see a lot of them being tracked - moreso than what I see being putted around town for show. C'n'C is not as big here as it is in the US, and sports car and exotic car culture just strikes me as very different. High end sports cars and exotics generally seem to have lower mileage in the US vs. Europe. This is not about being prejudice, just an observation from afar.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:47 PM
ac199
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fascinating that any contacts at PCNA/Hennessy/whatever big US P dealers w/supposedly competent techs have no answer about issues/solutions vs 992GT3 PCCB judder/poss weakness in track driving (seems factory-spec steels have been identified so far as quickly failing in track duty; haven't yet seen reports of PCCBs w/track issues); the dust is a silly cosmetic issue (unless it's causing brake weaknesses)

Let's leave aside mocking the allegedly sophisticated EU guys who've had these GT3s for a few more mths than US guys who identified this brake incompetence in "mere" mountain road driving within a few wks of delivery: h/t sgroer
Old 11-03-2021, 11:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ac199
Fascinating that any contacts at PCNA/Hennessy/whatever big US P dealers w/supposedly competent techs have no answer about issues/solutions vs 992GT3 PCCB judder/poss weakness in track driving (seems factory-spec steels have been identified so far as quickly failing in track duty; haven't yet seen reports of PCCBs w/track issues); the dust is a silly cosmetic issue (unless it's causing brake weaknesses)

Let's leave aside mocking the allegedly sophisticated EU guys who've had these GT3s for a few more mths than US guys who identified this brake incompetence in "mere" mountain road driving within a few wks of delivery: h/t sgroer
I thought there were different pads on the 992s delivered in Europe.
The following users liked this post:
Il CP (11-04-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If that is true we need to get someone from Europe to procure us some sets!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

no one has actually answered that yet.

Hoping my 991 pads ship to me from suncoast tomorrow so I can rip some roads this weekend and put this issue to bed. I am a member at AMP and have twice been in the vicinity of the track on a member day. There is no way I would track the car with these pads or whatever the issue is that I have with the braking system.

The dust sucks but the juddering is even worse.

Last edited by sgroer; 11-04-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:07 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Hoping my 991 pads ship to me from suncoast tomorrow so I can rip some roads this weekend and put this issue to bed. I am a member at AMP and have twice been in the vicinity of the track on a member day. There is no way I would track the car with these pads or whatever the issue is that I have with the braking system.

Sean, did you call Henry from Porsche?
Old 11-04-2021, 12:09 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Sean, did you call Henry from Porsche?

Planning on trying to connect tomorrow. Just been running around like a crazy man during the day and didn’t want to bother him in the eve.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:12 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Planning on trying to connect tomorrow. Just been running around like a crazy man during the day and didn’t want to bother him in the eve.
cool, I chatted with him he said he thinks he can help ……he’s has lots of time in that car track wise.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:21 AM
Il CP
Pro

The judder is to be taken seriously. PCCB brakes don't warp. If that has happened after a drive, you are more than likely havjng an issue with uneven pad material transfer. Normally such an issue is cured by a hard re-bedding. If possible, try the Pagid method of bedding. I have found it to work extremely well.

Start by doing 10 stops from 100 mph to 60 mph. Only use about 25% brake force. Use a medihm acelleration rate between slow-downs. This step is done to heat the system gently and seat the pads if needed.

Then do 5-7 stops from 115 to 50 mph. You need to apply as much brake as you can without activating the ABS. Acelleration should be full throttle. The goal here is to gas out the pads and transfer pad material. Rotors should glow red hot. This step will also clean off excess or different pad material.

Now after the last hard slow-down, keep speed steady at around 60 mph for a few minutes. Try not to apply any brake at this cooling stage.

After cooling for 4-5 minutes, do 5 stops like the initial soft ones. After this, drive the car home as gently as possible and park it for 24 hours. This is when the pad material cures.

Quick Reply: PCCB very dusty!