Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I still find these threads amazing people with a lot of cash that are successful, and in your business I’m sure you will charge what you can. Everyone applauds a discount on a car 5% to 10%, and in some cases the ADM is less. What does everyone expect when you lust over a car on a forum that Porsche reads, and beg to have one .......you get crazy ADM’s. Not flaming anyone, but can’t understand why people are surprised.........the last RS started at 30k to 100k over, GT2RS and speedsters hit 200k over. It’s the same cycle hitting the GT3’s, and the VIP’s will flip their MSRP cars back to the dealer. It only stops when people say no, and guys there’s lots of other cars out there ............by the way Porsche will always be in my garage but not with a suitcase full of cash. Look at it this was go get 30k in cash and place in a pack back, and hand it over just and say thank you for selling me a car you may think differently. End of the day it’s all business, and a transaction never take it personal it’s just a car.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:23 PM
maxysx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DucatiV4S
clearly you are somewhat upset by this thread. It has be my observation that no one here has said there were entitled to MSRP without an ADM; Yet there had in fact been a discussion about the fact that greed exists. No one is expecting anything. The simple matter that ADM are allowed is a moot point now. The existence of non-ADM charging dealers has been well established. Whether or not some will “sack up” to pay ian ADM is not germane to the discussion. Nor is the origin of their educational degrees. And yes; people are entitled to feel bitter at the fact that there are ADM’s and to also feel That It’s not good business practice. Of course there are those who will pay anything extra to obtain the latest and greatest and that unfortunately emboldens all kindred unethical dealers to add it on. It’s free money after all. So go “sack up” if you will, but don’t pass judgement on those who don’t like the concept. It’s not warranted. Enjoy a bit of self reflection as you come up for air.
this thread is getting more and more interesting. I strongly feel that ADM is a matter of supply and demand as well as asymmetric information leverage which we would all exploit all day along to make a living. Seller should never feel sorry for buyer’s ignorance and vise versa. MSRP is a reference price set up by car manufacturer which accepts the very practice of ADM by dealerships. ADM is not going to go away anytime soon; however, we could definitely reduce the cash buyer left on the table through better market information transparency. At end of the day, a car only worth how much a buyer is willing to pay.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 12:53 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
It’s not necessarily the ADM dollars that bother me, it’s the resulting friction. It’s just so damn hard to buy a new Porsche GT car. I like spec’ing and buying new cars. So far, currently in my modest collection, I have purchased a new Performante, a new 812, and a new 765LT. I have a new STO on order also. It was comparatively easy to buy those cars. I submitted a deposit, spec’d my car, waited forever for the car to arrive, and then paid the price clearly marked on the window. Meanwhile, my local Porsche dealer laughed me off and said “I will put you on the list, but I can’t make any guarantees. I would be happy to service the car if you are able to find one through another source.” I suppose I can cold call the Porsche dealer list, but who the hell has time for that. Perhaps, someday, I will find the perfect Porsche spec preowned and pull the trigger on that. What I really want is the eventual 992 GT3RS, and a couple bucks over MSRP is not the core issue, it’s finding a dealer to sell me one.

Edit: by the way, it’s ‘Merica. I’m a capitalist. I am not grumbling about businesses maximizing profits, instead, I am complaining about how much harder it is to buy a Porsche than any other car.
Yes exactly...all the other purchases for you went as they should have with Porsche. Though they don't want to go that direction. Greed at its best on the dealer level at least, perhaps even allowed for on a higher level. It's not a question of being able to buy one or not as some others have brought up...it's a question of buying one at the listed price like any other options in the past.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:54 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

GT cars are not being bought as machines in the current setting but as commodities. If people decide to buy a particular metal for it's value due to speculation, the price will rise and you won't melt it into jewelry but save it as is, preferably in a vault. Same is happening again with these cars. See the 991.2s being sold now with less than 1k miles, there's quite a few. Recently a voodoo blue with 39 miles was sold. Because of the premium that buyer paid, this car is unlikely to build up miles. Is a car that is never driven a car or a lump of metal?

Dealers simply don't care who pays more. By making that clear with numbers published, at least buyers can be reasonably informed and hopefully some bad PR (vis a vis Mach E) would yield some assistance from the factory (not happening).

Plenty ways to fix it. I'm just not sure if VW is remotely interested in tackling this. Their omission allows extra profit for their dealers and they can drain them with the other cars. If ADM caused pollution or used anima skin, I'm sure ze Germans would be all over it.
The following 3 users liked this post by John Mclane:
Dr.Bill (07-06-2021), michaeldorian (05-09-2021), tomingrassia (03-26-2022)
Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiV4S
clearly you are somewhat upset by this thread. It has be my observation that no one here has said there were entitled to MSRP without an ADM; Yet there had in fact been a discussion about the fact that greed exists. No one is expecting anything. The simple matter that ADM are allowed is a moot point now. The existence of non-ADM charging dealers has been well established. Whether or not some will “sack up” to pay ian ADM is not germane to the discussion. Nor is the origin of their educational degrees. And yes; people are entitled to feel bitter at the fact that there are ADM’s and to also feel That It’s not good business practice. Of course there are those who will pay anything extra to obtain the latest and greatest and that unfortunately emboldens all kindred unethical dealers to add it on. It’s free money after all. So go “sack up” if you will, but don’t pass judgement on those who don’t like the concept. It’s not warranted. Enjoy a bit of self reflection as you come up for air.
100%. There is no discussion here of entitlement to MSRP as noted. This is a conversation about how ADMs are poor practices by dealers that are one-sided and an unfair imbalance on a purchasing relationship and opportunistic. Those that can not handle impatience and would rather spend their way out of it leave a wake of this habit for others out there in the present and future again.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:08 PM
Waddi
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by azzurri
100%. There is no discussion here of entitlement to MSRP as noted. This is a conversation about how ADMs are poor practices by dealers that are one-sided and an unfair imbalance on a purchasing relationship and opportunistic. Those that can not handle impatience and would rather spend their way out of it leave a wake of this habit for others out there in the present and future again.
ADMs are just an auction...who pays more ‘wins’....in the US you have a limited supply demand relationship, which supports ADSs. Wishing they didn’t exist, would just force you into developing a ‘relationship’ with the GM of the dealership...you join the dots...
Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

The buyer just has to simply refuse to pay some excessive ADM. If they don't refuse, why should the dealer stop asking for it? It's a business like anything else with the market demands.
I'm getting one at MSRP, apparently, after my deposit was placed. No games. So far. (not bragging- it could be a stroke of luck) After opening up the Turbo S this morning with some angry torque...it even makes me consider getting the deposit refunded. For now, I will not get it refunded...BECAUSE:

that wide front track on the 992 GT3 and the steering. Since it is apparently as good as GT3RS, that basically seals it for me.
The chance to spec one myself.
Not a need to daily it. Just out for fun most of the time.
Shark blue and a Cup car engine.

Last edited by chance6; 05-08-2021 at 02:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chance6:
azzurri (05-08-2021), josephr25 (05-08-2021), michaeldorian (05-09-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:28 PM
chance6
Race Car

what I say if they ask for $50K ADM:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4Fsly...LQA/source.gif

The following 4 users liked this post by chance6:
911Stiller (05-21-2021), azzurri (05-08-2021), George from MD (11-14-2023), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 03:02 PM
cadster
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 111 Posts

The market has decided that these cars are worth more than MSRP. In a perfect world, the MSRP would roughly match market value, and the cars would sell for MSRP. As we know, the world is far from perfect.
The following 2 users liked this post by cadster:
neoprufrok (05-09-2021), tomingrassia (03-26-2022)
Old 05-08-2021, 03:04 PM
cadster
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Waddi
Judging by your collection of cars, if you really want a 992 GT3RS, you will be able to get one. Sure you will very likely have to pay an ADM, probably a sizable one, but if you really want it, that won’t matter.

I feel more for the guys with more limited budgets who dream of GT3 / RS. For them, it would likely be the only special car they own, but they are in serious danger of being priced out of the market.
I can buy the car, but I’ll need to go out the area in order to do so. That’s less than ideal, and the time/unpleasantness associated with that effort might well deter my desire.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:13 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Sad local dealers are in on the ADM game as well. Did the 5 spoken for have an ADM as well?
I was told all had ADM.

When I picked up my 992 they said 35k ADM so maybe they are coming down?
Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
I was told all had ADM.

When I picked up my 992 they said 35k ADM so maybe they are coming down?
Thanks for the info. Guess I won't contact them for a GT3 RS allocation.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Waddi
I feel more for the guys with more limited budgets who dream of GT3 / RS. For them, it would likely be the only special car they own, but they are in serious danger of being priced out of the market.

Last edited by michaeldorian; 05-09-2021 at 06:02 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by michaeldorian:
AlexCeres (05-08-2021), AMJ0000 (05-10-2021), chance6 (05-09-2021), DrJay (05-31-2021), M Coop (07-16-2021), Pcar81 (05-09-2021), petertobin (06-24-2021), smceo (05-12-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2021), vernontwg (05-11-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2021, 08:08 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by cadster
The market has decided that these cars are worth more than MSRP. In a perfect world, the MSRP would roughly match market value, and the cars would sell for MSRP. As we know, the world is far from perfect.
So what happens when you put down a deposit, spec the car being told the car is at MSRP, car shows up 6 months later and you're then told there's a $40K ADM?

Seems to me the person better get it in writing upon putting in the order.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
So what happens when you put down a deposit, spec the car being told the car is at MSRP, car shows up 6 months later and you're then told there's a $40K ADM?

Seems to me the person better get it in writing upon putting in the order.
i have a receipt showing the exact spec, cost, and deposit given

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM