992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023 | 12:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Um, reread what I wrote.

Never said that there are no profits to GT cars. Of course there is. PAG makes a profit on all the cars they produce.

My point was only that the GT cars do not provide the highest profit margins vis-a-vis other models in the 911 range.
Um, do you read what you write? "GT cars, be they special editions or otherwise, are not profit makers for PAG (at least not on paper)."

The article I linked, albeit from 4 years ago, contradicts your revised statement. What data do you have?

In the 911 range, a lot of the ones produced are GT cars, and hard for me to imagine that the profit margin on a GT3 is not significantly higher than a base Carrera. Yes, there are R&D costs, but I really doubt those cost are more than a small percentage of the revenue on the cars. Keep in mind that there are multiple years of production of something like a 992.1 GT3, and they're not investing in R&D each year.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-21-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2023 | 12:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Um, reread what I wrote.

Never said that there are no profits to GT cars. Of course there is. PAG makes a profit on all the cars they produce.

My point was only that the GT cars do not provide the highest profit margins vis-a-vis other models in the 911 range.
You use um a lot.

I take pride in my reading skills. You said GT cars are not profit makers for PAG. Maybe you meant something different.
Old 12-21-2023 | 12:47 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodsky
You use um a lot.

I take pride in my reading skills. You said GT cars are not profit makers for PAG. Maybe you meant something different.
He did say two different things in two different posts. One was "not profit" and the other was "profit margins"...so I don't know the umm (had to) spirit and intent nor the ethos of his posts.

Every single one of the 911 trim variants are money makers.
Old 12-21-2023 | 12:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHX
He did say two different things in two different posts. One was "not profit" and the other was "profit margins"...so I don't know the umm (had to) spirit and intent nor the ethos of his posts.

Agree - every 911 makes money. Ipse may want to focus on conveying exactly what he means to say vs. penning an incorrect statement and assuming we understand his point. And then belittling our reading skills - all in jest and fun of course.

I would agree that the margin % on a GT3 is lower than a TTS or maybe even a Carrera GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
Diablo Dude (12-21-2023), PHX (12-26-2023)
Old 12-21-2023 | 01:37 PM
EMdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
As much as we don't like to admit it, valuation of brands is based on popularity and desirability. While awesome driving cars is one of the factors that weigh into that equation - it's certainly not the only one. Ferrari's brand is super popular and desirable. When you want to buy a sweet driving Ferrari you're competing against the true enthusiasts (which is a smaller number) and the people who just want to own a Ferrari and, for the hard-to-get cars, the Ferrari that someone told them is hard to get and may increase in value. Porsche certainly has some of that. But I know for a fact that people didn't look twice at my 991.2 Touring but every time they see my bright blue LT, they take pics and ooh and aah. In part, that's why I love 911s. There's a deep appreciation for the engineering.

I think while we argue and troll, most of us on rennlist deeply like the cars for their mechanical worth, not for the looks they get or how popular the brand is. I experience this to the extreme with my real NSX-R - only the real enthusiasts (and even then, the real JDM enthusiasts) understand that they are looking at only 1 of 10 or so NSX-Rs in the country when they see my car in person.
Growing up the NSX was my favorite! Not the Ferrari or Lambo. I had a '99 Prelude manual in college (non-SH). Congrats on the NSX-R. I would never let that car go!
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023 | 01:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You use um a lot.

Originally Posted by PHX

Um, yeah, um, my bad.

To clarify. GT cars do make profit for PAG. But the margins on a GT car the lowest of any model in the 911 range, and perhaps the entire Porsche model lineup (the last part I am not sure of, but the former, I am).

There, um, happy?
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
EMdoc (12-21-2023), PHX (12-26-2023)
Old 12-21-2023 | 04:22 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Um, yeah, um, my bad.

To clarify. GT cars do make profit for PAG. But the margins on a GT car the lowest of any model in the 911 range, and perhaps the entire Porsche model lineup (the last part I am not sure of, but the former, I am).

There, um, happy?
This really shouldn’t be a shock to anyone - there is a reason it’s relatively easy to get a T or GTS allocation - Porsche likes building those especially - those are high profit margin 911s
Old 12-21-2023 | 05:32 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Um, yeah, um, my bad.

There, um, happy?
um - I am um happy - especially now that my daughter is home for the holidays - um. And I'm almost done with work.

Do you think the article Manifold posted about the base Carrera being the lowest margin 911 is incorrect? I am just curious more than anything if that's a higher margin (percentage wise) than a PDK GT3 that is produced in the thousands too. I don't have access to their detailed financials - so have no idea..

Old 12-21-2023 | 05:56 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Um, reread what I wrote.

There's no way. GT3 owners almost all go PTS and go ham on Exclusive and CXX options. If PTS and CXX weren't options, I bet demand would drop by 30% for GT cars. a 911GT car is probably the cheapest car that you can go full custom as if it's a RR or something.
Old 12-21-2023 | 06:27 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
There's no way. GT3 owners almost all go PTS and go ham on Exclusive and CXX options. If PTS and CXX weren't options, I bet demand would drop by 30% for GT cars. a 911GT car is probably the cheapest car that you can go full custom as if it's a RR or something.
you are forgetting a few things - sure a very small % get to choose PTS or CXX and an even smaller % get to do both. Those are certainly high margin cars but they take forever to produce compared to a run of the mill T or GTS (which many purists still option out with standard (quick to produce) options). In the time it takes to produce 1 CXX PTS GT car I’m guessing they can produce many GTS / T variants. It’s not a matter of per unit margin but from an overall production perspective where do you allocate your resources. I’m guessing you want high margin easy to produce cars to make up a large % of it and then obviously you need to keep your fan base happy with the special GT cars too. It’s a complex problem to solve but I’m guessing at this point Porsche got pretty good at it and that’s why I’m assuming it’s easy to get T’s and GTS’ and very difficult to get GT cars with PTS and CXX slots…

Last edited by av12345; 12-21-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2023 | 06:46 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
As said above there is a much smaller % of PTS and CXX cars than you think there are...especially cars with both. Someone here has the data but I would bet less than 30% of GT3s are PTS and less than 2% have CXX options.
Old 12-21-2023 | 08:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

A friend of mine is high up in a consulting firm and has a lot of experience in the auto industry.

He said that, as a percentage of the sale price, the profit margin is highest for the Cayenne and Macan (around 35% net profit after expenses), and somewhat lower for the sports cars (around 25% net profit after expenses).

In the 911 range, he said the profit margin (again, as a percentage) would be a little lower for a stripper GT car as compared to an average non-GT 911, but when the GT cars are well optioned the profit margin is about the same or slightly higher. He thinks the profit margin for the ST and SC is probably about the same as the GT cars, so they aren't really 'money grabs'.

In absolute dollars per vehicle, the profit will generally be higher for the more expensive cars, though Cayennes will overlap with non-GT 911s.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-21-2023 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023 | 08:55 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

There is no way on the planet that GT cars are not profit makers. If they make 15,000 992's in various forms (GT3's, GT3RS, S/T and so forth), that's a $4B revenue business. I'd be willing to bet they make some profit on that . Yes, they are "halo" cars and add to the brand and they make more absoulute profi on higher volume SUVs and Taycans etc., but they still make a lot of money here. I would hazard a guess that Turbo's are some of their highest margin vehicles at close to the $275K a pop.
That 15,000 is just for GT3s worldwide, once you add in GT3RSs, S/Ts, SCs, Turbo/TTS, GT4RSs/SRS you are looking 50,000+ worldwide and that's just for the 992.1 variants. Those cars may not be the highest margin cars but they bring in the biggest absolute margin dollars of other cars, maybe not the highest % margin.
Old 12-21-2023 | 08:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by av12345
This really shouldn’t be a shock to anyone - there is a reason it’s relatively easy to get a T or GTS allocation - Porsche likes building those especially - those are high profit margin 911s
Porsche built more GT3s/Tourings than they did Ts, GTSs, Turbos, or Turbo Ss.
Old 12-21-2023 | 09:02 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Porsche built more GT3s/Tourings than they did Ts, GTSs, Turbos, or Turbo Ss.
Show me the data that supports that. No chance they built more GT3s than Turbo/Turbo S.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM