Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 10:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
If that were true wouldn't we see a lot more interference?

Interestingly the BAT post says the seller paid an ADM, yet the originating dealer is still threatening to blacklist if they sell? Something doesn't track. If seller paid MSRP that would make more sense of this
Not sure what the details are (like if the owner paid an ADM or how much of an ADM) but my guess is that PCNA saw the BAT listing, contacted the dealer, and the dealer contacted the owner. I think it's a fair assumption that a car bought a few months ago that has less than 100 miles on the clock was most likely bought to flip. We've seen these cancelled BAT listings a few other times with GT3s and GT4RSs.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:51 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
wow. The real crime, of course, is those seats.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
RossP (12-20-2023), usctrojanGT3 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:55 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Not sure what the details are (like if the owner paid an ADM or how much of an ADM) but my guess is that PCNA saw the BAT listing, contacted the dealer, and the dealer contacted the owner. I think it's a fair assumption that a car bought a few months ago that has less than 100 miles on the clock was most likely bought to flip. We've seen these cancelled BAT listings a few other times with GT3s and GT4RSs.
It states in the post that the seller paid an ADM. I haven't heard of a dealer handcuffing a buyer on reselling a car in which they paid an ADM
Old 12-20-2023, 12:01 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
It states in the post that the seller paid an ADM. I haven't heard of a dealer handcuffing a buyer on reselling a car in which they paid an ADM
It's not a true handcuffing. Basically PCNA saw that it was being flipped "publicly" which is bad PR since BaT has so many eyes on it, called the selling dealer and told them they will flag the buyer from the system for future allocations and somehow penalize that dealer for selling it to a flipper. Dealer called the buyer and told him that unless he wants to be blacklisted and not get future cars from them he needs to take the auction down. Buyer told BaT he refuses to complete the sale so BaT is taking the car down. Most likely car will now go on consignment to the dealer and dealer will properly flip it.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,969 Likes on 5,217 Posts

I'm guessing BAT seller and dealer are, um, one and the same (for all intents and purposes).
Old 12-20-2023, 01:18 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Maybe he got one of those "discounted" ADMs by being a repeat customer? Who the heck knows the full backstory on this but most likely PCNA did not like what was going on and a call made made to the dealer. But I do agree that if the seller paid market ADM he should be able to sell it whenever and however he wants.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:18 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing BAT seller and dealer are, um, one and the same (for all intents and purposes).
Shill owner doing the dirty work for the dealer?
Old 12-20-2023, 01:21 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
wow. The real crime, of course, is those seats.
I still don't get why Porsche always people to spec sofa seats in the GT3RS, with all that downforce I would either stuck to the door or leaning over the passenger seat making turns with sofa seats.
IRunalot (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Manhattan_trout
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

This is an interesting article about the gap between Ferrari’s vs Porsche’s valuation. Porsche stock price down significantly as China slows and they need to make a decision which way they want to go. Can’t have it both ways - sell $250K exclusive cars and $100k mass market SUVs.

Ferrari caters to the super-rich — as opposed to the merely affluent like Porsche — and is seen by investors as a safer port in an economic storm. To recover, Porsche must prioritize exclusivity and high sticker prices. Doing so may require it to forgo potential sales.

full article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n=openamericas
​​​​​​​
Old 12-20-2023, 10:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Manhattan_trout
This is an interesting article about the gap between Ferrari’s vs Porsche’s valuation. Porsche stock price down significantly as China slows and they need to make a decision which way they want to go. Can’t have it both ways - sell $250K exclusive cars and $100k mass market SUVs.

Ferrari caters to the super-rich — as opposed to the merely affluent like Porsche — and is seen by investors as a safer port in an economic storm. To recover, Porsche must prioritize exclusivity and high sticker prices. Doing so may require it to forgo potential sales.

full article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n=openamericas
How does Porsche achieve exclusivity when they're mass producing SUVs, sedans, and 911s? Creating limited edition variants of the mass-produced 911 isn't going to get you there, all 911s are clearly siblings.

Porsche does a fine job of engineering cars that are durable, reliable, perform well, and even somewhat practical, priced a notch above Mercedes and BMW. The gap in design and price to McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. is large. In my area, Porsches are almost as common as Mercedes and BMW, whereas the exotics are rare (exotic).
Old 12-20-2023, 11:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
How does Porsche achieve exclusivity when they're mass producing SUVs, sedans, and 911s? Creating limited edition variants of the mass-produced 911 isn't going to get you there, all 911s are clearly siblings.

Porsche does a fine job of engineering cars that are durable, reliable, perform well, and even somewhat practical, priced a notch above Mercedes and BMW. The gap in design and price to McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. is large. In my area, Porsches are almost as common as Mercedes and BMW, whereas the exotics are rare (exotic).
Agreed.

A Rolex will never be a Patek.

Porsche is a Rolex. A Ferrari is a Patek.

No one will confuse the two. And certainly not WIS.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
lawrence1 (01-10-2024), Manifold (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Agreed.

A Rolex will never be a Patek.

Porsche is a Rolex. A Ferrari is a Patek.

No one will confuse the two. And certainly not WIS.
Our neighbors came by this past weekend, got a tour of the house and garage. They're not car people. In the garage, they were laser focused on the McLaren, oohed and aahed, sat in the car, knew the brand. They took no interest in the Porsches, MB, and BMW. We tried to steer them towards the Miami blue 3RS and explain how special the car is, but they just had no interest. 992 TTS rarely gets any attention in the garage, even from car people. Even the 992 GT3 doesn't get much attention, maybe because it's white. It plays out similarly at our local C&C, which is quite large and obviously full of car people, though the GT3 RS does get some attention there (I think mostly because of the color).
Old 12-20-2023, 12:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Our neighbors came by this past weekend, got a tour of the house and garage. They're not car people. In the garage, they were laser focused on the McLaren, oohed and aahed, sat in the car, knew the brand. They took no interest in the Porsches, MB, and BMW. We tried to steer them towards the Miami blue 3RS and explain how special the car is, but they just had no interest. 992 TTS rarely gets any attention in the garage, even from car people. Even the 992 GT3 doesn't get much attention, maybe because it's white. It plays out similarly at our local C&C, which is quite large and obviously full of car people, though the GT3 RS does get some attention there (I think mostly because of the color).
More likely the wing.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (12-20-2023), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2023), usctrojanGT3 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 12:25 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

As much as we don't like to admit it, valuation of brands is based on popularity and desirability. While awesome driving cars is one of the factors that weigh into that equation - it's certainly not the only one. Ferrari's brand is super popular and desirable. When you want to buy a sweet driving Ferrari you're competing against the true enthusiasts (which is a smaller number) and the people who just want to own a Ferrari and, for the hard-to-get cars, the Ferrari that someone told them is hard to get and may increase in value. Porsche certainly has some of that. But I know for a fact that people didn't look twice at my 991.2 Touring but every time they see my bright blue LT, they take pics and ooh and aah. In part, that's why I love 911s. There's a deep appreciation for the engineering.

I think while we argue and troll, most of us on rennlist deeply like the cars for their mechanical worth, not for the looks they get or how popular the brand is. I experience this to the extreme with my real NSX-R - only the real enthusiasts (and even then, the real JDM enthusiasts) understand that they are looking at only 1 of 10 or so NSX-Rs in the country when they see my car in person.
The following 5 users liked this post by neoprufrok:
AlexCeres (12-20-2023), EMdoc (12-21-2023), Manifold (12-20-2023), speed77 (12-20-2023), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 04:17 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I’d be more excited to see an R34 over a 296. But that’s the era I grew up with.
BE-EB-992 (12-21-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM