992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 04:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,348 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
As much as we don't like to admit it, valuation of brands is based on popularity and desirability. While awesome driving cars is one of the factors that weigh into that equation - it's certainly not the only one. Ferrari's brand is super popular and desirable. When you want to buy a sweet driving Ferrari you're competing against the true enthusiasts (which is a smaller number) and the people who just want to own a Ferrari and, for the hard-to-get cars, the Ferrari that someone told them is hard to get and may increase in value. Porsche certainly has some of that. But I know for a fact that people didn't look twice at my 991.2 Touring but every time they see my bright blue LT, they take pics and ooh and aah. In part, that's why I love 911s. There's a deep appreciation for the engineering.

I think while we argue and troll, most of us on rennlist deeply like the cars for their mechanical worth, not for the looks they get or how popular the brand is. I experience this to the extreme with my real NSX-R - only the real enthusiasts (and even then, the real JDM enthusiasts) understand that they are looking at only 1 of 10 or so NSX-Rs in the country when they see my car in person.
This is pretty much my view. I don't like attention to me or my car when I'm driving on the road, but I do like cars that I enjoy looking at.

Being an engineer, I really appreciate Porsche's German style of engineering. In general, a big part of the engineering ethos is producing bang for the buck, and Porsche has historically been good in that regard, though as they move towards producing more higher-priced limited edition cars, they move away from that aspect of the engineering ethos. One of my recent DE students, who has modest means, wanted a PDK Cayman as a track car with a budget of $50k, and she was able to find one; it would be a shame if Porsche stops making reasonably affordable trackable cars. There will never be McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. which fit that niche.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
EMdoc (12-21-2023), PHX (12-21-2023), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2023), usctrojanGT3 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:23 PM
Andrew_PSD
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 83 Likes on 36 Posts

If anyone interested, got a Black 24 Touring 6peed, PCCB, Carbon Roof, Sofas. Feel free to text me.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:54 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
and Porsche has historically been good in that regard, though as they move towards producing more higher-priced limited edition cars, they move away from that aspect of the engineering ethos.
So building a car like the S/T (which you're clearly targeting) where Porsche dumps a ton of R&D, time and money into things like a brand new clutch/flywheel assembly, which is tech that is disappearing daily from the world, is them moving away from that ethos? That's just one of many examples that come to mind to rebut that claim that is completely off, imo. You're not of a fan of 992 GT cars, or manuals, that is quite obvious

Last edited by PTS; 12-20-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
So building a car like the S/T (which you're clearly targeting) where Porsche dumps a ton of R&D, time and money into things like a brand new clutch/flywheel assembly, which is tech that is disappearing daily from the world, is them moving away from that ethos? That's just one of many examples that come to mind to rebut that claim that is completely off, imo. You're not of a fan of 992 GT cars, or manuals, that is quite obvious
R&D investment in the S/T is likely to be a very small percentage of the revenue and profit the car will generate. They’re top tier engineers, this stuff isn’t hard for them, it’s just a matter of design choices.

I did my first my first ~150 track days exclusively in manual Porsches, and still have two manual Porsches (both were tracked). I like manual.

I like the 992 GT3 with PDK. Haven’t tried any other 992 GT.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:04 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 626 Posts

I’ll add this.

AP doesn’t lie, he’s a car guy and an engineer.

I know for an absolute fact that he put the head of GT suspension on the ST team and they spent one full year revising the ST suspension alone. Now, can I say that maybe this was needed because they removed the RWS and perhaps that was the reason, maybe, but nevertheless they spend one year just working on the suspension for this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmos:
AlexCeres (12-20-2023), neoprufrok (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
I’ll add this.

AP doesn’t lie, he’s a car guy and an engineer.

I know for an absolute fact that he put the head of GT suspension on the ST team and they spent one full year revising the ST suspension alone. Now, can I say that maybe this was needed because they removed the RWS and perhaps that was the reason, maybe, but nevertheless they spend one year just working on the suspension for this car.
How many manhours and dollars is that ‘one full year’?

Revenue from selling 1963 of these cars will be more than $600 million, profit likely more than $100 million. If they invested 1% of the revenue to develop the car, that's about $6 million, which sounds like more than enough, yet just a small fraction of the profit. I doubt that R&D cost was much of a factor in the decision of whether to build this car.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-21-2023 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 01:30 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,115 Posts

Revenue from selling 1963 of these cars will be more than $600 million, profit likely more than $100 million. If they invested 1% of the revenue to develop the car, that's about $6 million, which sounds like more than enough, yet just a small fraction of the profit. I doubt that R&D cost was much of a factor in the decision of whether to build this car.
Um, do you even read what you type?

Of course R&D was a factor, and probably a significant one.

And when you surmise that PAG will see "profit likely more than $100 million" how do you know PAG wouldn't have profited 3x times that if they had invested the same amount of R&D as they did in the S/T in another volume car like the Macan, Cayenne, or even a "regular" 911.

GT cars, be they special editions or otherwise, are not profit makers for PAG (at least not on paper).

Last edited by ipse dixit; 12-21-2023 at 01:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PTS (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

And when you surmise that PAG will see "profit likely more than $100 million" how do you know PAG wouldn't have profited 3x times that if they had invested the same amount of R&D as they did in the S/T in another volume car like the Macan, Cayenne, or even a "regular" 911.

GT cars, be they special editions or otherwise, are not profit makers for PAG (at least not on paper).
Word is that profit margin is extra high on the GT cars and TT/S. I recall you yourself saying that at some point?
Old 12-21-2023, 01:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Word is that profit margin is extra high on the GT cars and TT/S. I recall you yourself saying that at some point?
nope, said the exact opposite, at least for GT cars, lowest profit margins in the 911 lineup
The following users liked this post:
leveragedsellout (12-23-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

nope, said the exact opposite, at least for GT cars, lowest profit margins in the 911 lineup
Source?
Old 12-21-2023, 07:50 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 590 Posts

heard the same from multiple sources
Old 12-21-2023, 07:59 AM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

The gift that keeps on giving. Trying to rationalise everything and knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing comes to mind. Merry Xmas one & all.
The following 2 users liked this post by 993RR:
Diablo Dude (12-21-2023), PTS (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 08:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Old article from 4 years ago:

https://www.motor1.com/news/370815/porsche-911-profit/
Old 12-21-2023, 12:01 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 576 Posts

There is no way on the planet that GT cars are not profit makers. If they make 15,000 992's in various forms (GT3's, GT3RS, S/T and so forth), that's a $4B revenue business. I'd be willing to bet they make some profit on that . Yes, they are "halo" cars and add to the brand and they make more absoulute profi on higher volume SUVs and Taycans etc., but they still make a lot of money here. I would hazard a guess that Turbo's are some of their highest margin vehicles at close to the $275K a pop.

Old 12-21-2023, 12:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
There is no way on the planet that GT cars are not profit makers. If they make 15,000 992's in various forms (GT3's, GT3RS, S/T and so forth), that's a $4B revenue business. I'd be willing to bet they make some profit on that . Yes, they are "halo" cars and add to the brand and they make more absoulute profi on higher volume SUVs and Taycans etc., but they still make a lot of money here. I would hazard a guess that Turbo's are some of their highest margin vehicles at close to the $275K a pop.
Um, reread what I wrote.

Never said that there are no profits to GT cars. Of course there is. PAG makes a profit on all the cars they produce.

My point was only that the GT cars do not provide the highest profit margins vis-a-vis other models in the 911 range.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
EMdoc (12-21-2023), leveragedsellout (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM