Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 02:56 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Shayan30
There are a lot of factors one should consider instead of just looking at poll numbers. In the tri-state, you are NOT getting MSRP unless there is a favorable setup between client and dealer.
I think you and JAB12 are spot on.
And that's why that Poll is virtually worthless.
And as PTS mentioned above, the people "asking" are the one's that dont have a relationship with a dealer.

Here in the Bay Area, I havent run across a single Pcar owner that's been able to get an allocation of a GT car at MSRP, unless they were VIP./Halo status.

And given the surge in the stock market year to date, all of those tech employees in Silicon Valley have watched their stock-option grants go way in the "money".
Not that they all can be exercised immediately or have vested, but many are "vested" and it does put them in a situation where they dont need to care about paying an ADM.
This puts even more of a "floor" under the ADM game here in the Bay Area.

Not sure why the "Look at Me!" msrp crowd continues to CONFLATE and compare "apples" with "oranges".
It must be pure ego . . . and it certainly doesnt help those "asking" about ADM's who dont have a robust transaction history with a dealer.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-16-2023 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JAB12 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Rookie GT car owner here.

For those of us who paid ADM (not peak ADM) but more than the avg. at the time, trading in the current GT car with <3000 miles, in a year or two, to a dealer at 20% under msrp to get the next GT car at 'msrp' is a non starter. Especially since msrp went up by like $18K and potentially more hikes are coming. I'd sell the car to the open market with a mark up, any day before I do that and then pay a shopped around ADM if necessary for the next iteration GT car if it interests me. The GT thing is purely transactional for the most part as evidenced by my own experience, so wearing the 'I got mine at msrp' badge as some kind of trophy would only apply to those who truly got an msrp allocation with no other tradeable context attached to it. Highly unlikely. In our local Pcar group, those who did get at msrp have a long time trading back cars at under market value to their respective dealers. The economics of that don't make much sense to me.

I am on my 4th 992 and if I had traded in the preceding 3 back to the dealer at a discount from market, I would be loosing money, even after TTT. Maybe that's just the effect of the last 3 years of the car market but still, timing is everything.

Small reference point: The dealer that I work with the Mrs. Pcars sold me at the height of crazyness, a GTS allocation at msrp. My builds are always highly optioned. No trade in, no ADM (going rate for a GTS at that time was $35-$50K ADM). They asked, not forced, to do the PPF with them and the financing options were up to me, not forced either.
That is the part that I don't agree with. Trading under market (dealer wholesale vs private party resale) is about a 5-7% difference on average because what the dealer can sell the car for more than what you can sell it for via a private party transaction. Then there's the sales tax trade-in credit for many folks and that basically puts you at the same place as selling the car private party. You make it seem like these MSRP dealers are asking someone to take a 20% haircut to private party prices which for my case is not true. My dealer has made a 8-12% profit from what they sold the car for versus what they provided me. Are there dealers that ask for 20-30% haircuts to get a GT allocation for MSRP? Of course, but those are the ones that want to look like an MSRP dealer but take a market ADM on the trade in.
jfr0317 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:18 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 939 Likes on 456 Posts

I’d venture to say that this poll (of 150 RLers) is not about indicative of what percentage of ppl paid ADM or not. Many RLers are long time Porsche / GT owners that have relationships and able to get MSRP allocations. The crowd of moneyed up younger tech and BTC bros (or dudes that just haven’t been in the ‘game’ very long) are probably forced to pay ADM. So I suspect the MSRP crowd is much less.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:22 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
That is the part that I don't agree with. Trading under market (dealer wholesale vs private party resale) is about a 5-7% difference on average because what the dealer can sell the car for more than what you can sell it for via a private party transaction. Then there's the sales tax trade-in credit for many folks and that basically puts you at the same place as selling the car private party. You make it seem like these MSRP dealers are asking someone to take a 20% haircut to private party prices which for my case is not true. My dealer has made a 8-12% profit from what they sold the car for versus what they provided me. Are there dealers that ask for 20-30% haircuts to get a GT allocation for MSRP? Of course, but those are the ones that want to look like an MSRP dealer but take a market ADM on the trade in.
not to mention, selling private is a total PITA unless you price your car too low.

I remember I sold my Spyder privately in 2021, I stupidly held the car for a guy who put a $1k deposit for 2 weeks, he flew down, drove it and didn’t want it afterwards. Had to spend half a day dealing with this guy because I really liked his offer, but such a waste of time.
usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:25 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUF RS
AND...let's not forget, being 'forced' to finance the car thru PFS at a huge mark up from the manufacturer's rate.
you know you can just pay it off when you get home right?
The following 2 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
Manifold (06-16-2023), usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:31 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I think you and JAB12 are spot on.
And that's why that Poll is virtually worthless.
And as PTS mentioned above, the people "asking" are the one's that dont have a relationship with a dealer.

Here in the Bay Area, I havent run across a single Pcar owner that's been able to get an allocation of a GT car at MSRP, unless they were VIP./Halo status.

And given the surge in the stock market year to date, all of those tech employees in Silicon Valley have watched their stock-option grants go way in the "money".
Not that they all can be exercised immediately or have vested, but many are "vested" and it does put them in a situation where they dont need to care about paying an ADM.
This puts even more of a "floor" under the ADM game here in the Bay Area.

Not sure why the "Look at Me!" msrp crowd continues to CONFLATE and compare "apples" with "oranges".
It must be pure ego . . . and it certainly doesnt help those "asking" about ADM's who dont have a robust transaction history with a dealer.
I think many MSRP guys here have been upfront with how they were able to obtain GT cars at sticker, and their experiences are helpful to those that want to follow their path.

If you always want the hot new GT cars at sticker, you either need a relationship (ie buy a lot of other cars from dealer), wait in line after casually buying A normal car every 2-3 years, or have a PI plant damning evidence against the GM

If you casually want a new GT car every 5-7 years, and no other Porsches, just go find a ‘reasonable’ ADM
usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
not to mention, selling private is a total PITA unless you price your car too low.

I remember I sold my Spyder privately in 2021, I stupidly held the car for a guy who put a $1k deposit for 2 weeks, he flew down, drove it and didn’t want it afterwards. Had to spend half a day dealing with this guy because I really liked his offer, but such a waste of time.
… and the delta between what the dealer pays for trade-in and what they sell it for isn’t all ‘profit’. They have substantial overhead expense and the profit for the owner is only a fraction of that delta.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:10 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Not my experience at all.
I put my 981 GT4 up on Facebook for sale last November.

Had 3 serious buyers within 3 days and with people tripping over themselves to put a deposit down to hold it at my $108,000 offer.
A young gentleman from a Pcar dealership was third in the que, but offered me materially more. I sold it to him and the transaction took 5 days from start to finish.
MSRP on my GT4 was $112,900 and I paid $112,000 for it with 1200 miles and CPO from a Pcar dealer. Original owner was a "Cars and Coffee" guy who was running out of garage space in Los Altos. Car came with $5,000 of PPF from Premier.

I would have never gotten the price that I got by trading my GT4 back to my dealer with 15,000 miles on it.
Moreover, I would not have been able to "lock-in" an agreed upon price on my trade-in until my '23 GT3 arrived.

Between the recent price increases and the price of my GT4 sale, the ADM on my 2023 Touring has essentially been a wash.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-16-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:21 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Not my experience at all.
I put my 981 GT4 up on Facebook for sale last November.

Had 3 serious buyers within 3 days and with people tripping over themselves to put a deposit down to hold it at my $108,000 offer.
A young gentleman from a Pcar dealership was third in the que, but offered me materially more. I sold it to him and the transaction took 5 days from start to finish.
MSRP on my GT4 was $112,900 and I paid $112,000 for it with 1200 miles and CPO from a Pcar dealer. Original owner was a "Cars and Coffee" guy who was running out of garage space in Los Altos. Car came with $5,000 of PPF from Premier.

I would have never gotten the price that I got by trading my GT4 back to my dealer with 15,000 miles on it.
Moreover, I would not have been able to "lock-in" an agreed upon price on my trade-in until my '23 GT3 arrived.

Between the recent price increases and the price of my GT4 sale, the ADM on my 2023 Touring has essentially been a wash.
yes, that 1 anecdote. I’m talking about ‘in general’

i got my 2023 GT3 at MSRP. No trade, no finance, no buying history at all, no sell back requirements… that’s also an anecdote not indicative of what actually happens 98% of the time
Old 06-16-2023, 04:25 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Prior to receiving an allocation for my 992 GT3 I was looking at new Audi R8's, specifically a fully optioned Kemora Grey V10 Performance. Audi of Wilsonville gave me a lowball offer of $180K for my $204+K msrp 2018 991,2 GT3 w/ 3500 miles on it; and marked up the R8 they had by $50K. The clown's name was Moe and would not negotiate at all.

Sold my 991.2 GT3 on Autotrader for $225K and got into my 992 GT3 at sticker for $223K + PPF and sales tax.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy M:
usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2023), User 81423 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:25 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

yes, that 1 anecdote. I’m talking about ‘in general’

i got my 2023 GT3 at MSRP. No trade, no finance, no buying history at all, no sell back requirements… that’s also an anecdote not indicative of what actually happens 98% of the time
I had no previous buying history with the dealer that gave me my 2023 GT3 allocation.

Paid cash. No PCF financing requirement. No watches. No PPF. No add ons. No sell back requirements. No left-over BBQ from Outback. No nothing.
Paid (for me) what was a reasonable ADM. One that wasnt even 25% of the average daily equity swing in my brokerage account.

I felt very comfortable with my transaction and the car is as good as advertised.

Have a nice weekend everybody. And Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-16-2023 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
JAB12 (06-17-2023), RUF RS (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:31 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

I had no previous buying history with the dealer that gave me my 2023 GT3 allocation.

Paid cash. No PCF financing requirement. No watches. No PPF. No add ons. No sell back requirements. No left-over BBQ from Outback. No nothing.
Paid (for me) what was a reasonable ADM. One that wasnt even 25% of the average daily equity swing in my brokerage account.

I felt very comfortable with my transaction and the car is as good as advertised.
yes, we know. You paid $40k ADM and have $5m in your equity account (you’ve said this stuff many times)… and I’m sorry you choose Outback for your BBQ… you really need to try Texas bbq

Last edited by DodoBrd; 06-16-2023 at 04:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
Gh0st0 (06-17-2023), usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:46 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

yes, we know. You paid $40k ADM and have $5m in your equity account (you’ve said this stuff many times...
Cool story.

DodoBrd (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It's a bit funny seeing people worth millions of dollars debating what the right price for a ~$200k car is. I hope we're here mostly just to shoot the breeze, not because we think this is actually an important issue?

We know the market isn't 'efficient', so some people will get a better deal than others. But it takes time to hunt for the 'best' deal, and time is money, so sometimes it makes sense to just buy a car if you run across one you like at a fair price.

Whether a car is worth $X in terms of value for the dollar is also pretty subjective. I think Porsche sports cars are generally overpriced, but since Porsche lacks competition in the $100-250k range, they price the cars where the market will bear, and apparently we're willing to bear a lot.

I myself have never been willing to pay an ADM because my dealer has always been an MSRP dealer and I developed a relationship with the dealer on the ground floor. I've never set foot in, or even called, any other dealer. I'm used to paying MSRP or less, so unwilling to pay ADM on any new car, Porsche or otherwise.

If I've learned anything from this discussion, it's that if you can readily afford nice cars, enjoy nice cars, and are getting old, just buy what you like at a fair price, and don't torture yourself trying to justify buying the cars. I splurged on cars in the past year, and I don't regret it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Bosscobra (06-16-2023), IRunalot (06-18-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 05:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine owns a car dealership. If a car is sold for $15k more than the trade in price, I asked him how much of that $15k winds up being profit for the dealership owner, after all expenses. He said it's roughly $4,500.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM