Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 04:25 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 918 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Never purchased a Porsche before from my local dealer, but had stopped by the dealership on a frequent basis since 2015 given that it was in the neighborhood that I grew up in.
Never bought cars from them. Never bought cars and traded them back into them in order to pave the way for a future GT car purchase. Never wined and dined any of the sales staff.
Never bought them any BBQ. I did nothing more than stop by and show interest in the brand on a regular basis over a number of years.

I'm not going to post what I paid in ADM, but I believe it was reasonable given the 2023 model year and another impending price hike which we just saw of $13,000.
It was also "reasonable" given that I had no previous buying history with my dealer nor did I ever buy them any BBQ.
There are multiple ways to skin a cat.

Some folks just want to buy 1 car and keep it for awhile. No history, no trades, no buying peasant porsches. You can 'shop' the ADM but 99% of the time this will result in an ADM for a GT car (I think this is you Diablo)

Other folks go through cars quite a bit, so it makes sense to start a relationship with 1 dealership and there are perks to the relationship. (This is USC)

And then there are a bunch of people in the middle where they might buy a Cayenne or something every few years, might already have a GT car to trade in, and want a new GT car. (this is the gray area where some get MSRP and some don't)

There's a 'How much ADM Poll' thread, it would be more interesting if we knew how people got MSRP deals vs. $20k over vs. $50k over
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 06:39 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Old 04-28-2023, 09:02 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yeah your dealer doesn't deserve any BBQ since you paid them an ADM. Maybe they own you a BBQ for thanks for paying the ADM? Besides, CA BBQ is garbage compared to Texas BBQ.
You pay an ADM every time you trade in a car back to PNH.
And yet your buying a stealership in Texas BBQ.
Makes perfect sense.

You sound confused.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 04-28-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Rymundo (05-01-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
You pay an ADM every time you trade in a car back to PNH.
And yet your buying a stealership in Texas BBQ.
Makes perfect sense.

You sound confused.
No you are confused....let me do some math for you....MSRP instead of paying $50k-$75k ADM and I get wholesale trade-in value for my trade in (I may have gotten an extra $10k to $15k had I sold the cars myself plus I would have had to the joy of dealing with a bunch of tire kickers....no thanks). Or said another way since you and others have mentioned to feel better able paying an ADM, my car is a 2022 with a stick of $214k, so it's under MSRP using 2024 prices.

So yes, the SA, SM, and GM deserve some Texas BBQ. I'll be down in Houston in a few weeks to see my GT4RS so I'll be sure to take some pictures of the food for you and post it here.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:02 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wow, Porsche building and selling more cars than the previous year? SHOCKING!!!

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 04-28-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Maverick787 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:44 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

No you are confused....let me do some math for you....MSRP instead of paying $50k-$75k ADM and I get wholesale trade-in value for my trade in (I may have gotten an extra $10k to $15k had I sold the cars myself plus I would have had to the joy of dealing with a bunch of tire kickers....no thanks). Or said another way since you and others have mentioned to feel better able paying an ADM, my car is a 2022 with a stick of $214k, so it's under MSRP using 2024 prices.

So yes, the SA, SM, and GM deserve some Texas BBQ. I'll be down in Houston in a few weeks to see my GT4RS so I'll be sure to take some pictures of the food for you and post it here.
maybe I should pay Houston a visit and bring some bbq when you’re there.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
maybe I should pay Houston a visit and bring some bbq when you’re there.
I'll be at the dealer on Thursday, May 11th.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:01 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Honestly this is getting annoying / old. You PAY adm - just admit it - it’s fine - it works great in your situation- you don’t even need to buy the bbq. The “stealer” is making the smart choice given your purchase history - they make plenty consistently​​​​​​. For others - who buy a car once every few years or once in a while (let’s say 5 years or less frequent) - the “stealer” should charge the ADM upfront to make the same amount of profit. But again, let’s be clear - on average, profit per year per client is the same. You aren’t less of a sucker than average next guy and that’s OK. The “stealers” need to make money (it is their business after all) and we want to enjoy higher end sports cars. It’s ok… no need to judge those who pay adm just like those who pay adm shouldn’t judge you. Also we shouldn’t really judge the “stealers” - we live in a capitalist country - they should maximize profit (as long as it is above board / they aren’t scamming anyone).
Old 04-29-2023, 02:42 AM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

If you buy a couple cars a year, and then trade a couple cars a year, are you paying for shipping from Texas on multiple cars each way? How much does this add up to? Assuming shipping for a reputable carrier is ~$1500 each way, so $3K roundtrip per car per year? Do you fly down to houston each time you buy a car? Do you end up having to pay for hotels 3+ times a year there? Not knocking your methods, just seeing if this would make sense for the masses, I am leaning towards negotiating a more reasonable ADM (on slightly used or delivery mile car) from the best dealer, and not worrying about building a relationship.

I have spoken to a dozen or so CA dealers, and the deals they tell me they make for their loyal repeat customers were about as good as me finding another dealership without having any relationship. You may be fortunate to find a relationship that works but I do not think this is something that is easily replicated for people who do not need this many cars.

Last edited by WCGhost; 04-29-2023 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:26 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
Honestly this is getting annoying / old. You PAY adm - just admit it - it’s fine - it works great in your situation- you don’t even need to buy the bbq. The “stealer” is making the smart choice given your purchase history - they make plenty consistently​​​​​​. For others - who buy a car once every few years or once in a while (let’s say 5 years or less frequent) - the “stealer” should charge the ADM upfront to make the same amount of profit. But again, let’s be clear - on average, profit per year per client is the same. You aren’t less of a sucker than average next guy and that’s OK. The “stealers” need to make money (it is their business after all) and we want to enjoy higher end sports cars. It’s ok… no need to judge those who pay adm just like those who pay adm shouldn’t judge you. Also we shouldn’t really judge the “stealers” - we live in a capitalist country - they should maximize profit (as long as it is above board / they aren’t scamming anyone).
And yet there are dealers with a NO ADM policy. Crazy how they still make plenty of money capitalism and all. There are even countries with a NO ADM policy and yet they do just fine. I have been buying Porsches for 30 years and only recently did ADM become a routine thing after an ownership change. The new owners also saw fit to raise service labor rates from $200 to $325 in one fell swoop. I don't consider any dealer a stealership, but as in all things it is a nuanced matter of degree.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 04-29-2023 at 08:56 AM.
usctrojanGT3 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,339 Likes on 2,471 Posts

^ I think we need a recession.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:25 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Delete

Last edited by PTS; 04-29-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:44 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

No you are confused....let me do some math for you....
As others have pointed out here, your MATH doesnt add up.
In fact, it's terribly POOR.

And given all of the "hits" you took on your trade-ins just to secure your GT3 Touring, the ADM that you paid is most likely higher than what I paid for my $210,000 Touring.
And I didnt have to fly anywhere, or transport my trade-ins anywhere, spend hours on the road, in the air, or paying for hotels and other related expenses or suck up to a stealership with BBQ.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:47 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by av12345
Honestly this is getting annoying / old. You PAY adm - just admit it - it’s fine - it works great in your situation- you don’t even need to buy the bbq. The “stealer” is making the smart choice given your purchase history .
He likes to think that he's "special".
He isnt special nor is his stealership.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WCGhost
If you buy a couple cars a year, and then trade a couple cars a year, are you paying for shipping from Texas on multiple cars each way? How much does this add up to? Assuming shipping for a reputable carrier is ~$1500 each way, so $3K roundtrip per car per year? Do you fly down to houston each time you buy a car? Do you end up having to pay for hotels 3+ times a year there? Not knocking your methods, just seeing if this would make sense for the masses, I am leaning towards negotiating a more reasonable ADM (on slightly used or delivery mile car) from the best dealer, and not worrying about building a relationship.

I have spoken to a dozen or so CA dealers, and the deals they tell me they make for their loyal repeat customers were about as good as me finding another dealership without having any relationship. You may be fortunate to find a relationship that works but I do not think this is something that is easily replicated for people who do not need this many cars.
Shipping is $1,400 to and from the Houston. The non-GT cars are shipped to me at no cost, I used to get 6% off MSRP on those crs with no shipping cost but since 2021 the Macans and Taycans that I bought were MSRP with free shipping. I only fly down to Houston when a GT car arrives, I don't fly down for the non-GT cars. I fly in in the evening and fly out the next day in the evening. I'm a big relationship guy in my industry and I enjoy face-to-face interactions. My dealer treats me like a good local customers so the least I can do is fly down and thank them in person for my GT cars.
WCGhost (04-29-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM