992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
One of the best posts on RL. As you mention, build a relationship with a good dealer and you'll be top of mind when it comes to getting GT cars at MSRP.
But building a relationship requires regularly buying cars from them, which not everyone wants to do. These cars last a long time and some people want to own them a long time, rather frequently replacing them.

I waited more than 7 years to seriously contemplate replacing my 991.1 GT3, and may wind up keeping it at least two more years - not for financial reasons, but because I like it and don’t really need to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
993TurboS (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
But building a relationship requires regularly buying cars from them, which not everyone wants to do. These cars last a long time and some people want to own them a long time, rather frequently replacing them.

I waited more than 7 years to seriously contemplate replacing my 991.1 GT3, and may wind up keeping it at least two more years - not for financial reasons, but because I like it and don’t really need to replace it.
That is true that most people don't/can't buy 1-2 cars a year from a dealer. With my job I drive a ton, like 25k-30k miles a year so I do not want to deal with being out of warranty and/or have maintenance/repairs to deal with so I go through my business vehicles every 12-18 months. Then add in the fact that GT cars come out every few years and it also helps that I trade back the cars that I buy from them so they get another opportunity to make additional profits since I live too far to service my cars at my dealer.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

That is true that most people don't/can't buy 1-2 cars a year from a dealer. With my job I drive a ton, like 25k-30k miles a year so I do not want to deal with being out of warranty and/or have maintenance/repairs to deal with so I go through my business vehicles every 12-18 months. Then add in the fact that GT cars come out every few years and it also helps that I trade back the cars that I buy from them so they get another opportunity to make additional profits since I live too far to service my cars at my dealer.
I think your case is atypical. We have a 2013 Cayenne GTS with over 90k miles on it, which still looks and runs great, and lots of fun with the NA V8 engine and excellent handling. No good reason to replace it with a new Macan or Cayenne anytime soon.
993TurboS (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,969 Likes on 5,217 Posts

Personally I'd rather just buy 1 GT car every 4-5 years at a markup, than 6 cars in the same 4-5 year period and "get" to buy a GT car at MSRP.

The former is so much easier on the psyche.

The latter is like using one of those stupid apps at your favorite fast food restaurant where if you buy 10 burgers you get the 11th one free. I don't need 12 burgers in my life. Certainly not my waistline.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Alex.M (02-04-2023), AlexCeres (02-05-2023), G.Irish (02-06-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:24 PM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

I previously was in the camp that thought $20-$30K over was reasonable for this car and thought it would get there this year for PDK / Wing. I call around dealers occasionally, and decided to call one that has been mentioned on rennlist and find out they sold a new GT3 a couple of days ago for MSRP, off the floor, i wont mention it here, but you can dig through these threads and call around based on recent posts. I also saw a post by Sam at Beverly Hills Porsche claiming if he doesnt say there is ADM on a GT3 he gets 300 calls for people offering MSRP, I am starting to lose respect for the guy honestly, seems kind of full of himself after the record year he had. . I don't know the full story behind the MSRP deal if there was a trade etc, but it sounded like they were being more than reasonable, and it was mentioned in other threads that they are a good dealership. Now I am wondering if $30K over will look like an overpay too, but also dont want to get into this thought process where I think I can get a better deal and never get a car. I am wondering if that MSRP deal was just a rare transaction, or if we will see more of that. I honestly just don't believe MSRP will be possible for most people. What is interesting is why mention the car sold for sticker, usually dealers want you to believe the cars sell for more. Hopefully it was one of you that got that deal.

Last edited by WCGhost; 02-04-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WCGhost
I previously was in the camp that thought $20-$30K over was reasonable for this car and thought it would get there this year for PDK / Wing. I call around dealers occasionally, and decided to call one that has been mentioned on rennlist and find out they sold a new GT3 a couple of days ago for MSRP, off the floor, i wont mention it here, but you can dig through these threads and call around based on recent posts. I also saw a post by Sam at Beverly Hills Porsche claiming if he doesnt say there is ADM on a GT3 he gets 300 calls for people offering MSRP, I am starting to lose respect for the guy honestly, seems kind of full of himself after the record year he had. . I don't know the full story behind the MSRP deal if there was a trade etc, but it sounded like they were being more than reasonable, and it was mentioned in other threads that they are a good dealership. Now I am wondering if $30K over will look like an overpay too, but also dont want to get into this thought process where I think I can get a better deal and never get a car. I am wondering if that MSRP deal was just a rare transaction, or if we will see more of that. I honestly just don't believe MSRP will be possible for most people. What is interesting is why mention the car sold for sticker, usually dealers want you to believe the cars sell for more. Hopefully it was one of you that got that deal.
May I ask what you drive now?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think your case is atypical. We have a 2013 Cayenne GTS with over 90k miles on it, which still looks and runs great, and lots of fun with the NA V8 engine and excellent handling. No good reason to replace it with a new Macan or Cayenne anytime soon.
I agree, I'm a typical car buyer. I get the benefit of depreciating the business vehicle and taking any loss against my income plus I do like not having to worry about service, repairs, and maintenance costs. I also like getting the latest GT cars and tracking them then trading them back for the next new one. There are a handful of whales at my dealer who buy 4-6 cars a year because they have bigger families and like driving different cars so those folks are at the top of board when it comes to getting GT and numbered cars.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally I'd rather just buy 1 GT car every 4-5 years at a markup, than 6 cars in the same 4-5 year period and "get" to buy a GT car at MSRP.

The former is so much easier on the psyche.

The latter is like using one of those stupid apps at your favorite fast food restaurant where if you buy 10 burgers you get the 11th one free. I don't need 12 burgers in my life. Certainly not my waistline.
What I do doesn't work for most everyone but for me it's perfect for me, it's basically quasi leasing for my business vehicles without the high money factor. I actually really enjoy driving new business cars every 12-18 months. Also, the savings from not having to pay market ADMs adds up fast as I'm buying a GT car every 18-24 months on average. Buying the Touring and GT4RS at MSRP instead of paying market ADMs will more than pay for my incoming Taycan GTS ST. What's funny is that I tried to get a relationship going with a SoCal dealers and the Vegas dealer back in 2015-2016 but both basically ignored me so I moved on. It's peace of mind knowing that I don't have to beg, search, plead, hope, or shop around for the lowest ADM to get GT allocations and is priceless to me. I let my dealer know what I want to get and when my turn comes up I get the call for the allocation, easy peasy.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 02-04-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:35 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

What I do doesn't work for most everyone but for me it's perfect for me, it's basically quasi leasing for my business vehicles without the high money factor. I actually really enjoy driving new business cars every 12-18 months. Also, the savings from not having to pay market ADMs adds up fast as I'm buying a GT car every 18-24 months on average. Buying the Touring and GT4RS at MSRP instead of paying market ADMs will more than pay for my incoming Taycan GTS ST. What's funny is that I tried to get a relationship going with a SoCal dealers and the Vegas dealer back in 2015-2016 but both basically ignored me so I moved on. It's peace of mind knowing that I don't have to beg, search, plead, hope, or shop around for the lowest ADM to get GT allocations and is priceless to me. I let my dealer know what I want to get and when my turn comes up I get the call for the allocation, easy peasy.
Exactly - this model works really well for you which makes sense but you admit it doesn’t work for many / most. So perhaps maybe you should ease up on others who instead just opt to pay the ADM once every few years instead of indirectly paying the ADM every year by trading the cars back at a favorable price to the dealer?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by av12345
Exactly - this model works really well for you which makes sense but you admit it doesn’t work for many / most. So perhaps maybe you should ease up on others who instead just opt to pay the ADM once every few years instead of indirectly paying the ADM every year by trading the cars back at a favorable price to the dealer?
But there are people who probably buy 1 non-GT a year and to me that would be considered a good customer. Comes down to the dealer if they value relationships or if they want to extract the maximum price for the high demand cars. I wouldn't really consider that I'm paying indirect ADMs trading back my GT cars to my dealer when I've gotten MSRP or a little higher as I've gotten them for MSRP vs paying an ADM and then selling the car around MSRP or at a lower ADM. Yeah I'm not getting full market value but I got the car at MSRP in the first place. On my business vehicles I'm probably getting 10% less then what I could get selling those cars privately but then it saves me time and I deduct any losses against my income so sure there's a small indirect ADM on those cars. We can both agree that the dealer will almost allows sell any used car for a higher price than a private seller will.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:41 AM
GT3_Fanboy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What’s the cheapest ADM for a build slot right now?
bpeacock (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 12:59 PM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_Fanboy
What’s the cheapest ADM for a build slot right now?
$75k would be my guess IF you can find one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alex.M:
bpeacock (02-05-2023), Diablo Dude (02-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:34 AM
EDaniel
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex.M
$75k would be my guess IF you can find one.
I know of one at $120K
Old 02-07-2023, 02:49 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 296 Posts

Lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/Porsche/com...ings_attached/
Old 02-07-2023, 03:49 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
Wonder how one can be smart enough to have a job that can afford a porsche yet mentally challenged enough to accept that deal. Its an oxymoron but it exists.
Carlo_Carrera (02-07-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM