Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 11:24 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe the only reason they have all that money is because they actually have more brains than money.
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
People with more brains than money don't buy that kind of car at that kind of price because they are smarter than that. Buyer is very likely an impatient, new money guy or trust fund baby.
Cool story bro.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:34 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I confess that I was hardheaded in understanding that other people who buy Porsches are not me, and therefore many of them have different motivations to buy the cars and different circumstances financially and otherwise. The ADM which is crazy for one person can be easily rationalized for another person.

I personally look more at the net price of the car more than the ADM. For a car that I’m going to routinely beat up on the track and possibly crash, I personally would like to keep the price under $200k, and I can do that with an MSRP GT3, but not if the ADM is $20k+. But my use case is the more the exception than the norm, and I can see that someone buying the car for the road and putting limited miles on it could have a different financial and value analysis.

Bottom line is that the market is made up of all sorts of buyers, and our collective decisions set the prices. It is what it is. No point crying about it if you don’t like the price, just wait or buy something else or don’t buy anything.
I see you finally came around. You could have made this statement 3 months ago and de-escalated the whole thing but then we would not have enjoyed all the colorful banter
As for the 500k Sport Classic, people here are viewing this purchase in a rational way which it isn't. It is an emotional decision and if you have 8 or 9 figure plus portfolio what do you care for 250k ADM.
Same way someone driving a 20k KIA would look at a 200k Porsche as obscene since in their mind, the KIA gets them from point A to B same way a 200k Porsche does. IT is all about perspective.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:46 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah if you can drop a 250k ADM on top of a 250k car, you probably have more money and brains than most of us in here. I'm sure that guy isn't wasting his time on rennlist, especially this thread lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by rusmani:
993TurboS (02-01-2023), Diablo Dude (02-01-2023), WCGhost (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Engro
I see you finally came around. You could have made this statement 3 months ago and de-escalated the whole thing but then we would not have enjoyed all the colorful banter
As for the 500k Sport Classic, people here are viewing this purchase in a rational way which it isn't. It is an emotional decision and if you have 8 or 9 figure plus portfolio what do you care for 250k ADM.
Same way someone driving a 20k KIA would look at a 200k Porsche as obscene since in their mind, the KIA gets them from point A to B same way a 200k Porsche does. IT is all about perspective.
I think it can be challenging to see things from someone else's perspective, especially the perspectives of those who have a lot less or a lot more money than we do. I saw a Sport Classic at my dealer yesterday (sold to VIP at MSRP). It's a nice car with the turbo power, RWD, manual, and aesthetic treatments, and I can almost see myself buying one at MSRP if I was a collector. I can't see myself buying one with a large ADM, but maybe that's mostly because I'm not rich enough (I can 'afford' it, but would rather put the money to other uses).

My perspective with Porsches is strongly shaped by my experience with driving GT cars on the track, resulting in my not enjoying driving them on the road because, even when I'm going much too fast to be the safe on the road, the cars still feel very underutilized compared to driving them near their limits. But I suppose that if I didn't have that track experience, I might enjoy driving them more on the road at sane speeds. I got a 991 cab precisely because, although the car be bonkers fast on the road, I can still enjoy the car at lower speeds by putting the top down and taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of the scenery. Similarly, my manual 997 is my favorite road car because I find it enjoyable at all speeds, even when I'm stuck behind slow cars.

The following users liked this post:
rusmani (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
This sounds really out of touch and disconnected from reality. There are plenty of billionaires for whom the price of a car is absolutely irrelevant. Their limitation is basically time: free time, time to enjoy cars, time to shop, time to wait, etc. If a billionaire has a preference for one car over a slightly different car, why should he not spend 2x on the car he prefers? He can buy a different car every day and it won't impact his finances. The only impact is the hassle. So if he sees a car he wants, he buys it. He avoids the hassle and saves time, That is far more important than the money.

I can imagine the guy on the street saying "why do people go to lunch at noon? If they went to lunch at 2pm, there are shorter lines and there is a 2-4pm discount!"
Ummm people with F U money are not slumming it with basically a manual 911 turbo and if they had that kind of money they would have been a VIP whale with a local dealership and would have gotten the car at MSRP. So yeah that argument doesn't really hold up to well and how well did paying a big ADM work out for the folks who bought a Speedster to be the first to have the car? Yeah, not so well. But hey, limited edition Porsches are the key to retiring early right?

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 02-01-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Talking

Ummm people with F U money are slumming with basically a manual 911 turbo and if they had that kind of money they would have been a VIP whale with a local dealership and would have gotten the car at MSRP. So yeah that argument doesn't really hold up to well and how well did paying a big ADM work out for the folks who bought a Speedster to be the first to have the car? Yeah, not so well. But hey, limited edition Porsches are the key to retiring early right?
As if Redwood City cares about VIP "whales" with Google in their backyard.
There's no such thing at that dealership.
lol

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 02-01-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:49 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Ummm people with F U money are slumming with basically a manual 911 turbo and if they had that kind of money they would have been a VIP whale with a local dealership and would have gotten the car at MSRP. So yeah that argument doesn't really hold up to well and how well did paying a big ADM work out for the folks who bought a Speedster to be the first to have the car? Yeah, not so well. But hey, limited edition Porsches are the key to retiring early right?
Maybe they don't have a history with Porsche or are buying for their wife/kid/whoever.

Also, if you are worth millions of dollars, I doubt you give a rats *** about some 100-200k ADM you paid for a speedster, sport classic, etc.

And as I said earlier, at that level of financial success, you probably aren't flirting with peasants on Rennlist.
The following 3 users liked this post by rusmani:
Diablo Dude (02-01-2023), MSRPhunter227 (02-01-2023), Scrappy1972 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Maybe they don't have a history with Porsche or are buying for their wife/kid/whoever.

Also, if you are worth millions of dollars, I doubt you give a rats *** about some 100-200k ADM you paid for a speedster, sport classic, etc.

And as I said earlier, at that level of financial success, you probably aren't flirting with peasants on Rennlist.
They have no history with Porsche and all of a sudden they want to by a limited Porsche turbo car? Come on, let's be real here. The buyer is a trust fund baby who never earned their money or someone who made fast money who doesn't value money. There are plenty of super wealthy folks who are on Rennlist. The car sold for that price because of 1) speculation and/or 2) impatience.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:57 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

They have no history with Porsche and all of a sudden they want to by a limited Porsche turbo car? Come on, let's be real here. The buyer is a trust fund baby who never earned their money or someone who made fast money who doesn't value money. There are plenty of super wealthy folks who are on Rennlist. The car sold for that price because of 1) speculation and/or 2) impatience.
You know the buyer?
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrappy1972:
Jbravo23 (02-01-2023), rusmani (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:57 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,791 Likes on 725 Posts

lol. Dude calm your ****. You’re speculating about how many millionaires are out there. You don’t have a clue.
just because someone isn’t a “Porsche vip” doesn’t mean they don’t have the means or were never interested in Porsches. For reference my dealer turned down 600k back in June! They got 1 sport classic. 5 total (4 vip’s) and 1 for the dealer. So no the person paying that isn’t speculating or impatient. There isn’t enough. Supply and demand.

think CJ mentioned that there were 1000+ porsche collectors

Last edited by Jbravo23; 02-01-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Diablo Dude (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,615 Posts

This is simply the free market at work.
Diablo Dude (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusmani

I don't think that's true. I suspect that many or most of us in this thread are worth millions of dollars, and many of those people will balk at paying an ADM of tens of thousands of dollars. Now if you're talking net worth in the tens of millions, that's a different story.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

I believe most guys here make 7 figure and have 8 figure NW. Still, you dont get there by wasting money on ADM unless you are born rich.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ascend:
P_S (03-18-2023), usctrojanGT3 (02-01-2023), WCGhost (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 03:01 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I believe most guys here make 7 figure and have 8 figure NW. Still, you dont get there by wasting money on ADM unless you are born rich.
Doubt it. Maybe the 8 figure NW, but not the former.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McNamara
Doubt it. Maybe the 8 figure NW, but not the former.
Yes, I would guess the median is high 6 figure income and mid 7 figure NW. I think that most of the real ballers aren't spending time on RL. Could do an anonymous poll, might be interesting to find out.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM