Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_Fanboy
What’s the cheapest ADM for a build slot right now?
$50k over but cannot get another allocation at the moment.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:04 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
But there are people who probably buy 1 non-GT a year and to me that would be considered a good customer. Comes down to the dealer if they value relationships or if they want to extract the maximum price for the high demand cars. I wouldn't really consider that I'm paying indirect ADMs trading back my GT cars to my dealer when I've gotten MSRP or a little higher as I've gotten them for MSRP vs paying an ADM and then selling the car around MSRP or at a lower ADM. Yeah I'm not getting full market value but I got the car at MSRP in the first place. On my business vehicles I'm probably getting 10% less then what I could get selling those cars privately but then it saves me time and I deduct any losses against my income so sure there's a small indirect ADM on those cars. We can both agree that the dealer will almost allows sell any used car for a higher price than a private seller will.

^^ thats what Im talking about!
Old 02-07-2023, 04:38 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,010 Posts

This is interesting no matter what camp you’re in, just do what you’re comfortable with ……..but if you’re on the edge it can bite you. You never have enough money not to go broke, but you can work as an old man😎 servicing the debt.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-h...164527057.html
Old 02-07-2023, 06:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Wonder how one can be smart enough to have a job that can afford a porsche yet mentally challenged enough to accept that deal. Its an oxymoron but it exists.
It's people like that who choose to get bent over repeatedly by stealers why we have stupid high ADMs. Sometimes money, education, status, etc doesn't prevent stupid. The funniest thing is that the dude makes it sound like the dealer is doing him a favor by raping him and he has no other choice or options.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 02-07-2023 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,345 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
This is interesting no matter what camp you’re in, just do what you’re comfortable with ……..but if you’re on the edge it can bite you. You never have enough money not to go broke, but you can work as an old man😎 servicing the debt.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-h...164527057.html
The article is written as though the author doesn't like cars, is jealous of those who have nice cars, can't afford a nice car, and wants to rationalize not having a nice car. But I do agree that buying a car that costs more than your annual income when you're young will be a bad decision for most people.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The article is written as though the author doesn't like cars, is jealous of those who have nice cars, can't afford a nice car, and wants to rationalize not having a nice car. But I do agree that buying a car that costs more than your annual income when you're young will be a bad decision for most people.

It’s just an opinion. Not sure he’s jealous being a CEO I’m sure he’s pretty loaded. Agree all don’t like cars nor interested it’s a passion, and for him may have been a learning lesson on finances. Sorry you did say author ………yes agree.

Last edited by Maverick787; 02-07-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

delete
Old 02-07-2023, 09:58 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The elephant in the room with having Porsche control price of cars, or taking away a dealer's ability to adjust MSRP, is that do you really want to pay MSRP for a base Cayman? Or a base Panamera?

And, yes, I know, I know, the easy response is, "well I don't buy Caymans and Panameras, so who cares." Well, then it just means you're going to get sucked into the Ferrari model, i.e., you buy a 911, sell it back to dealer at cost, so dealer gets to sell it as a "used" car for whatever price it wants, and then dealer will allow you to buy a GT car at MSRP.

No thank you.

As distasteful as ADMs may be, I'd rather just pay the extra $$ directly, and cut out the middle man. Transaction costs suck.
I'd be happy to pay MSRP on base models if it means less craziness with the GT models and I could just get on a big national waiting list for those and sign something that I won't sell it in the first year or two.

If most base models were being sold at a discount before and then if in the future dealers wouldn't be allowed to do that (i.e. all cars MSRP), then Porsche will reduce MSRP on those models so that sales are even and they continue to have a way for new people to enter into Porsche ownership.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yargk:
Manifold (02-08-2023), michaeldorian (02-08-2023), P_S (03-18-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 06:19 AM
chronon
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche will not control prices (illegal) BUT it is wrong for Porsche to turn a blind eye on what is happening with GT cars. As of today, there are 162 2022 GT3 on Autotrader vs only 100 2017-19 GT3 confirming that new cars are going to flippers and not to end users. While everyone understands production constraints, the current allocation approach is frustrating many loyal customers. As such, Porsche should help develop a better allocation system for GT3s. I have driven 911s for the past 15 years and I would be willing to wait a couple of years to get a GT3 at MSRP. Since that is NOT an option, I am now considering other brands. This is a complex issue but, for example, here are some ideas on how you Porsche could help: 1)Develop a lottery system for current Porsche owners; 2)Do not offer a future allocation to any customer that keeps a GT3 for less than 2 years. These ideas may not be feasible execute but there has to be a better way.
The following 4 users liked this post by chronon:
Alex.M (02-08-2023), Carlo_Carrera (02-08-2023), Manifold (02-08-2023), Orca911 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:27 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 918 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by chronon
Porsche will not control prices (illegal) BUT it is wrong for Porsche to turn a blind eye on what is happening with GT cars. As of today, there are 162 2022 GT3 on Autotrader vs only 100 2017-19 GT3 confirming that new cars are going to flippers and not to end users. While everyone understands production constraints, the current allocation approach is frustrating many loyal customers. As such, Porsche should help develop a better allocation system for GT3s. I have driven 911s for the past 15 years and I would be willing to wait a couple of years to get a GT3 at MSRP. Since that is NOT an option, I am now considering other brands. This is a complex issue but, for example, here are some ideas on how you Porsche could help: 1)Develop a lottery system for current Porsche owners; 2)Do not offer a future allocation to any customer that keeps a GT3 for less than 2 years. These ideas may not be feasible execute but there has to be a better way.
I agree that there needs to be a better way, but I don't think the burden should be placed on Porsche AG. Porsche sells cars in a B2B2C manner so they can focus their time and money on producing amazing cars with a pretty steady / consistent selling process to dealers. It's the same reason why Porsche Motorsports North America and Porsche Logistics Services LLC exist... these separate entities allow Porsche AG to focus on their core competencies. If the burden of allocating GT cars to end customers needs to be placed anywhere, it should be PCNA and its dealer network. Dealerships are basically separate small businesses not owned by Porsche, looking to maximize profits. So, in the long-term, if dealerships decide to **** off their loyal customers for short ADM cash grabs, they theoretically will reap what they sow.

But... there is so much demand for GT cars that many dealers can afford to **** off loyal customers because there will always be someone else to sell to. Porsche rewards dealers with extra cars / $$ if they sell within their territory... yet dealers still sell to out of state folks at ADM because they decided that is best for their business... and it probably is best because there's so much demand.

On a side note.. back in 2018/2019, there were many more 991.2 GT3s for sale on AT, it happens every generation. There are only 100 for sale nowadays because many have found a long-term holder.

Also, a lottery system is going to **** off just as many people as the current setup. Imagine the guys willing to pay $50k more for a car and have had previous Porsche purposes lose out to the guy with a base Macan... not to mention if you only sell to current Porsche owners, how do you get new people into the brand w/o telling them to go buy stuff they don't want? Requiring to hold a GT car for a certain amount of time could make some sense depending on what the penalty for selling too quickly is, but 2 years is a looong time... maybe more like 6 months. just my thoughts
The following users liked this post:
WenigerAberBeser (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:29 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Chevrolet has a new policy that voids the warranty if a Z06 is sold within six months after purchase. Originally they had the time set at one year and then because all the “flippers” I assume complained, they backed it back to six months.

Adding the same rule on sales of GT3 and any other high demand car by Porscge will help eliminate flippers. But the other path of course is a dealer asking for an ADM that brings the sale price on a new car up to the “market value” leaving no room for a flipper to instantly make a profit.

I buy Rolex watches now and then and dealers are required to sell at MSRP all new Rolex watches. To do otherwise will terminate their franchise. So there is an active second market with lots of guys trying buy watches at retail to flip them to independent dealers.

Rolex watches new watches being sold in the after market and they will check serial numbers to determine the AD that sold a new watch that has been flipped to a dealer.

Rolex dealers do try to make sure that they sell new watches to “real” collectors and not to flippers for this reason.

This has become a real relationship based game that requires you prove to your AD you still own the previous watches he has sold you. I send photos of myself wearing his watches in interesting places while traveling.

Porsche could easily get the vin on all 130 GT3’s for sale and the cars with near zero mileage could be traced back to the dealer and the customer that sold the car and Porsche could punish the dealer with fewer allocations and ban the customer across all dealers from buying GT cars.

Rolex has a new solution also- they increased prices on new watches three times in the recent past which gathers more of the premium to the primary manufacturer- themselves.

I am surprised Porsche does not just raise the MSRP price and keep the premium for themselves rather than give these dollars to dealers or flippers or even “real” owners.

I have bought six Porsche vehicles in the last two years - and today I have never paid anything over msrp - and I traded in my GT4 for a small profit on msrp - but took a loss when considering the sales tax- and got an MSRP first allocation for a 911 T in exchange.

But I do work at building a relationship with both Rolex dealers as well as three Porsche dealers and I do smugly things like send my SA a box of see’s candy at Xmas and pepper them with articles about new Models and photos of the previous models they sold me at Porsche rallies and such. Sending them referrals is a good idea also.

But actually as a Fanboy of a product like a car or watches - keeping in contact with the dealers you buy from now and then is fun anyway and all things being equal they prefer to sell to customers that will continue to buy new products over time rather than a one time buyer.

I also buy other jewelry from the Rolex dealer and also have bought a watch from my Porsche dealer and also a Panamera that is not an easy sale by a dealer and gets them extra GT car allocations.

This idea that anyone should be able to call up a Dealer of a scarce luxury product and get an MSRP allocation is simply silly. If you owned these businesses you would favor the customers that are constantly providing new sales of products and that you get to know well.

I suspect a lot of these GT3 flippers bought the cars with a large loan and when they were flush with cash paid to their business under this free money policy by our insane government. Now the world is looking somewhat rocky and they need to get rid of this large payment. Rolex values in the used market have plummeted by 50% or more - but still slightly above msrp - and cars could eventually do the same.

conclusion- become a long term customer at a Porsche dealer- trade cars back to them - for new allocations and join PCA and become active also and you will get offered cars at msrp.
Manifold (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:35 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by chronon

You know what isnt covered here and why Porsche probably doesnt really do much about it beyond whatever they are doing? A LOT of guys who say they should be the chosen ones tend to be the ones who end up selling "for some extenuating circumstance", and its happened here on even rennlist plenty. I dont think there's a way that will appease everyone...however, keeping a gt3 for two years? Most huge car guys and collectors I know rarely ever do this with any new car unless its actually a limited collector car, this would just **** off whales. Porsche already restricts the 918 vip customers with timeframe holds anyways, but its a 6 months to a year deal assuming they held their 918 for 2 years after purchase and are still on the program.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I don't think you're going to see big jumps in the MSRP of Porsche GT cars because (a) they presumably already make a lot of profit the current MSRPs and (b) they expect that big prices increases would result in a big drop in long-term demand, possibly resulting in demand not reaching their past supply numbers.

IMO, a 992 GT3 is not a $250k+ car (today's dollars) in the long run. That price filters out a high percentage of the people looking for a track car, and many people willing to track a car in that price range will be looking at 911 race cars and other race cars. For road use, that price would put the GT3 in competition with exotics, such as new and used McLarens.

Last edited by Manifold; 02-08-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:04 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 141 Posts

How many GT3 and 3RS are being used for track duty?

These are now sunday brunch cruisers and C&C queens...

PTS and deviated stitching > track alignment and tires.

Props to @raymort and the other select few who actually post up their track day escapades..
AlexCeres (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
How many GT3 and 3RS are being used for track duty?

These are now sunday brunch cruisers and C&C queens...

PTS and deviated stitching > track alignment and tires.

Props to @raymort and the other select few who actually post up their track day escapades..
Before this demand bubble of the past several years, 997 and 991 GT3 and even RS cars were pretty common at the track, but I only saw one 992 GT3 at the track last year.
RealityGT (02-08-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM