Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 05:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
you’re not getting a new car before production ends. And people following this advice won’t for the 992.2 either. The vast majority of folks coming to the forums are asking about allocations, not autotrader. This is exactly the shell game the MSRP only folks play to distort things. Nobody listening to you guys learned anything constructive for participating in the marque. Quite the opposite.

I didn’t miss the 918 either! It’s on autotrader! ****ing ridiculous

If you told folks “you haven’t spent a few million at your dealership over the years ? Sorry, it’s adm or the used market after waiting several years” that would be coherent. But the boycott adm folks never tell people they’re SOL. Just if they want a little bit longer prices will come down. Folks wait, and then still don’t have a car.

You guys are always wrong, never in doubt
The 992 GT3 is not the be-all end-all car. There are people who can live if they don't end up getting a GT3 because they have other alternatives they can pick from. Around $200k the GT3 makes sense, at $300k it makes no sense. Like if I don't get an MSRP allocation for a GT3RS (my build is over $300k+) then I'll start shopping more seriously for a used Speciale. If someone wants to build their own car then yes they'll have to pony up an ADM or have a good relationship with their dealer to buy one at MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Ascend (01-15-2023), Boltsfan (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
Yeah sure, if you want to spend excess amount of money so you can build your own car. Go for it! But for me, its better to wait for the price to tank and grab one. Its not like an average RLer is Leonardo DaVinci making some masterpiece pts + ccx gt3. In the end, its all run of mill gt3 with lwbs manual and fals + some weird cxx which is literally throwing money into fire.
I will NEVER EVER get any CXX options, it's almost as bad as buying a big ADM.
The following users liked this post:
Ascend (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:06 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The 992 GT3 is not the be-all end-all car.
Exactly. Id rather spend 2M for a CGT than 300k for a gt3.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:19 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Exactly. Id rather spend 2M for a CGT than 300k for a gt3.
Im just gonna lol at this. Let us know how that turns out.
nima639 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:40 PM
Boltsfan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Yeah, I wouldn't pay 100-125k over. That's ridiculous. I think everyone can agree on that.

The grey area is the 25k to 75k over (depending on winged vs touring, miles, spec, etc). Some folks will say MSRP or bust. If so, good for you, but it's probably going to be bust for a loooong time if you want a 992 GT3. Others may say I'm already willing to spend 200k, what's another 25k to get the car I want and start enjoying it. It's a very individual question and everyone has their own opinion, as we have very clearly seen on this thread.

Your posts tell me you don't want to overpay and are willing to wait/look at other options outside of a 992 GT3. Good for you. It's not wrong, just a viewpoint. Unfortunately I've seen family members and close friends get sick and not necessarily live to pursue their dreams out to the fullest. So watching my money grow in a bank/investment portfolio seems less critical than doing what I want to do in life (whether it be buy an expensive car, take a trip, go to an awesome sporting event, etc). You only get one chance at life. Not saying you should spend 100k ADM on a GT3, but spending a few extra bucks to get what you want seems worth it to me.

Anyways, I'm sure someone will quote this and say I'm nuts because I'd pay ADM. I must be a STEALER!!!
Depending on the spec, as I've said, I'd probably pay $25k over MSRP. Despite the fact that Porsche corporate has said how much it believes the GT3 is worth vis-a-vis MSRP, it's a special car that is in demand. Regardless, I want to see how things shake out over the next 6 months - we know the world has significantly changed from the last couple of years in terms of the economic landscape. Yes, I could die, get sick, etc. and not get the chance to own a GT3, but you know what? For me, that's fine. I think there are other things in life that I would frankly regret more if something were to happen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a car guy and would love to own one, but again, I have other priorities. Like you said, it's an individual's decision. I take nice vacations, have done bucket list things, etc., so I don't at all feel like I am losing out on life by not paying a significant ADM for a car. I'd rather use money that would go to an ADM to instead help my kids out when they are old enough to buy their first homes. It's not just having my money sit in an investment account and me looking at the account balance daily to watch it grow - it's the purposes behind that investment account that ultimately drive my actions.

There are some on this forum where it's clear the GT3 is one of the most important things in their lives. Nothing wrong with that. But when they start imposing their world view on others and, if you don't necessarily agree, attack you based on incorrect understandings or assumptions, that's just classless.
The following 4 users liked this post by Boltsfan:
Engro (01-15-2023), Manifold (01-15-2023), usctrojanGT3 (01-15-2023), WCGhost (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:58 PM
Boltsfan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
you’re not getting a new car before production ends. And people following this advice won’t for the 992.2 either. The vast majority of folks coming to the forums are asking about allocations, not autotrader. This is exactly the shell game the MSRP only folks play to distort things. Nobody listening to you guys learned anything constructive for participating in the marque. Quite the opposite.

I didn’t miss the 918 either! It’s on autotrader! ****ing ridiculous

If you told folks “you haven’t spent a few million at your dealership over the years ? Sorry, it’s adm or the used market after waiting several years” that would be coherent. But the boycott adm folks never tell people they’re SOL. Just if they want a little bit longer prices will come down. Folks wait, and then still don’t have a car.

You guys are always wrong, never in doubt
Alex, reading your posts makes my head hurt. Misses the point someone is making, hard to understand, makes over-the-top assertions, bad analogies, etc. Frankly, poor word choice, as a cherry on top.

Really? Comparing a 918 to a GT3? Come on. "You guys are always wrong..."? Wow, just wow. Posts like this really just confirm my initial impression that you are full of it.

So, just one question for you because you didn't answer it before - are 992 GT3 values going to go down from here? Based on your post, I think the answer is probably no or a de minimis amount, but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

All the best,
Boltsfan
Old 01-15-2023, 07:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Well said. Very essense I have been trying to convey to the adm boys.

No one is missing a generation. Theres a bunch of gt3s for sale. And even if you miss it who the hell cares. 992.1 will be a forgotten generation like 991.1
I wouldn't say that 991.1 GT3 is a forgotten generation. Being 7+ years old and having significant miles on them, they're currently selling for only a few tens of thousands below MSRP.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:20 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

Although I have unsubscribed, apparently I can’t help myself coming back to this thread. So many points have been made already, so I know there is not much more value I can add, but I will still volunteer a few points:
- one can debate the topic of recession vs. Soft landing (I personally think that the economy is in a better shape overall… see today’s article by Paul Kaufman in the NYT) but reading this thread, it is also clear to me that there are a number of people who are on the sidelines, waiting for this special car. So, my best guess is that ADM will remain in 2024 and as long as the 992 GT3 will be produced. Will it still be $100+k? I SERIOUSLY doubt it, and instead I think that things will settle in the $10-50k, depending on your geographical area, touring vs. Wing, etc.

- ADMs are very controversial (and create anger and bitterness along the way) for so many of the people around here, because they are so used to getting whatever they set their sight on, and thus, it is hard for them to accept that they are not as important as they thought while still being financially responsible. The other side of the same coin are these people who need to prove to others that THEY are indeed important, so they are ready to shell out whatever ADM comes their way. I will humbly admit that I was in the former camp for a long time, and fortunately this thread helped my put many things in perspective so that in the end I was able to come to terms with the offer/demand equation in place and, eventually, came to terms with the terms of a deal that would be acceptable to, or not. (It also reminded me along the way to truly enjoy the many blessings that already are in my life!).

In the end, I truly got lucky and managed to seize a great opportunity to purchase one of these cars when it presented itself out of the blue (pun intended since it is Gentian Blue!), and while it is “only” a car, for me, it is truly a special car. I wholeheartedly wish to everybody who wants to get one to do so!!
The following 5 users liked this post by GTTROIS:
chance6 (01-15-2023), JAB12 (01-26-2023), Manifold (01-15-2023), raymort (01-15-2023), usctrojanGT3 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 07:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I think the 992 GT3 prices are high in large part because the car is being mostly bought by people who don't plan to track it, and won't put a lot of miles on it on the road either. The hope for those people is that they can drive it for a few years, then sell it for not much below their ADM price.

If the car was being bought mostly by track guys, a quarter million dollars for a track car (which isn't even an RS) is pretty steep, given that most will want to get track insurance which will be quite expensive for that insured value. And this is a problem even for track guys who get the car for MSRP, since they should probably insure the car at market value also. So this is another way in which non-track guys drive track guys away from this car.

There's no solution to this problem as long as too many non-track guys want this car.

Personally, for a quarter million dollars and mainly road use, I'd be looking at a 992 TTS, or some variant of a McLaren or Ferrari.

Last edited by Manifold; 01-15-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:50 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Quarter million fun car with manual transmission other than 992 GT3. I was able to get a 997.2 RS for a little over 200k. That was no brainer back then. Now, I would consider 997.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3 and maybe 360 Modena Manual?
Old 01-15-2023, 08:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Quarter million fun car with manual transmission other than 992 GT3. I was able to get a 997.2 RS for a little over 200k. That was no brainer back then. Now, I would consider 997.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3 and maybe 360 Modena Manual?
Those, plus I'd say any manual NA Porsche, not just the GT cars.

As I've said several times, my funnest road car is my manual 997.1 C2S, beating out my five other Porsches (including my two GT cars). I think funner generally means smaller, whereas the 991 and 992 had to increase track widths and lengths to increase track cornering performance.

Last edited by Manifold; 01-15-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:29 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Those, plus I'd say any manual NA Porsche, not just the GT cars.

As I've said several times, my funnest road car is my manual 997.1 C2S, beating out my five other Porsches (including my two GT cars). I think funner generally means smaller, whereas the 991 and 992 had to increase track widths and lengths to increase track cornering performance.

I would love those 997 gen cars with manual gearbox.

I also owned small fun cars like those of miata s2k or 86. These cars are fun when shifting through gears but kinda slow so there is no fun from quick acceleration and etc. I guess to thoroughly enjoy these cars I gotta track them.

Also generally a cheap car so advantage is you can park anywhere and not lose your mind but it is not a head turner so no good for attention ******.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:45 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by GTTROIS
Although I have unsubscribed, apparently I can’t help myself coming back to this thread. So many points have been made already, so I know there is not much more value I can add, but I will still volunteer a few points:
- one can debate the topic of recession vs. Soft landing (I personally think that the economy is in a better shape overall… see today’s article by Paul Kaufman in the NYT) but reading this thread, it is also clear to me that there are a number of people who are on the sidelines, waiting for this special car. So, my best guess is that ADM will remain in 2024 and as long as the 992 GT3 will be produced. Will it still be $100+k? I SERIOUSLY doubt it, and instead I think that things will settle in the $10-50k, depending on your geographical area, touring vs. Wing, etc.

- ADMs are very controversial (and create anger and bitterness along the way) for so many of the people around here, because they are so used to getting whatever they set their sight on, and thus, it is hard for them to accept that they are not as important as they thought while still being financially responsible. The other side of the same coin are these people who need to prove to others that THEY are indeed important, so they are ready to shell out whatever ADM comes their way. I will humbly admit that I was in the former camp for a long time, and fortunately this thread helped my put many things in perspective so that in the end I was able to come to terms with the offer/demand equation in place and, eventually, came to terms with the terms of a deal that would be acceptable to, or not. (It also reminded me along the way to truly enjoy the many blessings that already are in my life!).

In the end, I truly got lucky and managed to seize a great opportunity to purchase one of these cars when it presented itself out of the blue (pun intended since it is Gentian Blue!), and while it is “only” a car, for me, it is truly a special car. I wholeheartedly wish to everybody who wants to get one to do so!!
IMO great post, and humbly done. Drive your GT3 in great health. I was in the burbs yesterday and there was a shark blue one up ahead of me on the highway. Looked sweet. Mind you, he didn't PASS me. lmao
Old 01-15-2023, 10:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I would love those 997 gen cars with manual gearbox.

I also owned small fun cars like those of miata s2k or 86. These cars are fun when shifting through gears but kinda slow so there is no fun from quick acceleration and etc. I guess to thoroughly enjoy these cars I gotta track them.

Also generally a cheap car so advantage is you can park anywhere and not lose your mind but it is not a head turner so no good for attention ******.
997.1 C2S has a punchier torque curve than the 997.2 C2S (I've had both), and feels even punchier than the 991.1 GT3. Feels amply fast on the road.
IrwinMFletcher (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 12:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Never thought about getting a 430 Scud? I heard those are fun.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM