Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017 | 12:11 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Buy it. Drive the **** out of it for a year while looking for your perfect car. Sell it for close to what you paid for it.
Well, I just bought a 'drive it for a year while I'm looking for the perfect 991 and sell it for what I paid for it' car a few weeks ago. Stumbled on a super clean and fairly inexpensive 996 Turbo manual. So I'd really like any 991 I do buy to be IT! I suppose if I did buy it and really didn't bond with the PDK, yup, I could move on to something else without a ton of depreciation. At least now I'm living in an area were the sales tax on cars is only 4.75% instead of the 7.1% I was paying, so I don't get quite as killed on sales tax every time I swap out a car...

The only "hate it" option for me would be the steering wheel, but that can be swapped out. Bemo is the ONLY guy in here who likes the shift buttons, everyone else installs the SD wheel
I don't know if you noticed on the ad STG linked to, but the seller put on the Champion Motorsports paddle shift conversion... I had never heard of this one before. I knew techart had a paddle conversion, but not Champion. And of course the SD wheel swapout.

At $1,500, there's no way in hell I'd pay for one instead of just going for the SD wheel and stalk replacement, but better than the silly buttons.

There is also a company called 1016aero that offers a PDK software upgrade to essentially the GT3 PDK software. Evidently sort of like sport plus plus plus. Anyone know more about this?

Champion paddle conversion... First two are vendor photos, last is actual car.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-13-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:08 AM
WGJP 993
Racer

Originally Posted by pfbz
Well, I just bought a 'drive it for a year while I'm looking for the perfect 991 and sell it for what I paid for it' car a few weeks ago. Stumbled on a super clean and fairly inexpensive 996 Turbo manual. So I'd really like any 991 I do buy to be IT!
@pfbz, congrats on the 996 Turbo find. What are the specs/history on it, and is there a good story as to how you found it?
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:17 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WGJP 993
@pfbz, congrats on the 996 Turbo find. What are the specs/history on it, and is there a good story as to how you found it?
It's not a rare gem, just an exceptionally clean, unmolested first year Mezger Turbo. I've seen so many that have really worn looking interiors, and/or the sellers are asking bubblelicious prices. This one isn't a perfect show car, but a perfect driver with a flat or slightly upwards depreciation curve.

Picked it up from a seller who took really crappy pictures of his really nice car, and happened to be about five minutes away. I also know these cars well enough that I can spot 90% of a 6TT's significant PPI issues in 10 minutes on my own.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-13-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Pics pfbz!!
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:28 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Pics pfbz!!
Didn't want to clutter the thread with a lowly 996, but since you asked!
I need to get some better pictures, but here's some from a shakedown drive last week.

996 Turbo's are a blast to drive... Very 'connected' cars and the power rush is addictive. And arguably one of the best engines Porsche has ever made.

Interior feels pretty 'classic' (ok, that's a nice way of saying dated), but the black full leather interior on the this Turbo has held up to the test of time better than most! I'm still deciding on the black powdercoated turbo twists currently on the car. Nice powdercoating job, but a bit too dark. I would have done them in something like the 991 platinum satin finish. I also have another set of stock (silver) hollow twists coming as well that I might swap onto.

Not bad looking for a 16 year old car!

Last edited by pfbz; 07-13-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:43 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

That 996 looks fantastic. Congrats!
Old 07-13-2017 | 02:11 AM
WGJP 993
Racer

I need to get some better pictures, but here's some from a shakedown drive last week.

996 Turbo's are a blast to drive... Very 'connected' cars and the power rush is addictive. And arguably one of the best engines Porsche has ever made.

Interior feels pretty 'classic' (ok, that's a nice way of saying dated), but the black full leather interior on the this Turbo has held up to the test of time better than most! I'm still deciding on the black powdercoated turbo twists currently on the car. Nice powdercoating job, but a bit too dark. I would have done them in something like the 991 platinum satin finish. I also have another set of stock (silver) hollow twists coming as well that I might swap onto.

Very nice! I think powder coat in satin, or the stock silver to give it that "classic" look would be much better and brighten things up a bit. Agree that the black wheels just look too dark on the 996. Enjoy!
Old 07-13-2017 | 08:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
That 996 looks fantastic. Congrats!
I agree - sharp looking car!!! Congrats!!!
Old 07-13-2017 | 09:09 AM
Bemo
Drifting

pfbz bought a sweet car, the day I thought would never come. I'm buying a lottery ticket today.

Congratulations, enjoy her in good health.
Old 07-13-2017 | 09:47 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

There is also a company called 1016aero that offers a PDK software upgrade to essentially the GT3 PDK software. Evidently sort of like sport plus plus plus. Anyone know more about this?
No, but I would like to!
Old 07-13-2017 | 09:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bents
No, but I would like to!
Looked up this company. Looks like they only do carbon fiber parts for a few exotic companies. Used to do software for 997's to try and be like the 991 PDK. This is from my quick research.

The GT3 transmission is more than just software. Totally different transmission part than a 991 Carrera one.

I have never heard of 991 transmission software. We have a few of these ECU "tuners" like COBB who do this already.

https://www.1016industries.com
Old 07-13-2017 | 11:05 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Nice! I would love to own a 996 GT3 or Turbo

I did not like black wheels before my 911, but now love them with Racing Yellow. Try doing silver lips (painting/plasti-dipping/vinyl/photoshop) before you give up on black wheels, especially if they are in good shape.
Old 07-13-2017 | 11:34 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
How much is a sport design duck tail worth?
My buddy and track mate will be trading in his 2015 GTS for a 991.2 GT3. He's willing to sell me the car for whatever the dealer gives him on the trade plus the tax diff. The dealer is at around $100 on the car so that brings the car up to $108 ish.
The car has a good amount of track days. I don't like the duck tail so I'd sell that.
What color is it and where are you located?
Old 07-13-2017 | 12:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Looked up this company. Looks like they only do carbon fiber parts for a few exotic companies. Used to do software for 997's to try and be like the 991 PDK. This is from my quick research.

The GT3 transmission is more than just software. Totally different transmission part than a 991 Carrera one.

I have never heard of 991 transmission software. We have a few of these ECU "tuners" like COBB who do this already.

https://www.1016industries.com
I think there website might be a bit out of date.

I've had a few email exchanges with Peter, who I think is the owner of 1016 (peter@1016aero.com). I originally was talking with him about a 997 PDK software upgrade, but he also has packages for 991's... This is also a potential solution for PDK 991's that were ordered without Sport Chrono.

Here's a couple of clips from the exchange:
I’m looking at several Porsches for purchase… Some are 997’s, some 991’s.

On the 997’s, the PDK software is thought to be a bit lazy, even with Sport Chrono. And you can add sport chrono on cars that were not configured with it.

On the 991’s, the software is better with sport chrono, still a bit lazy without, but there is no way to add the sport chrono to a car that doesn’t have it…

Do you also have PDK software for the 991.1? Does it matter if the car was configured with Sport Chrono? I assume the more aggressive map is always on after loading?

I have a 991 GT3 and if you can make the jump the calibration and package is so much better. I am aware of the added sport Chrono for the 997 but it doesn't compare to the upgrade we offer. We have a full range available for the 991.1 and 991.2 as well. I have even pushed my GT3 to another level and have a track version that is a bit more aggressive than what I use on the street in order to take advantage as much as possible as my race ecu calibration as well which we have available for all models via OBD2 loader.
It's all through OBDC port, I think he charges about $1,200. Again, no direct experience, but sounds like it's worth investigating, especially with some of those 'No Sport Chrono' 991's!
Old 07-13-2017 | 12:17 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Try doing silver lips (painting/plasti-dipping/vinyl/photoshop) before you give up on black wheels, especially if they are in good shape.
That's a great idea... It might just need something to break up the transition between the wheels and the tires.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991