Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
True, could be anything. Would be good to talk to the dealer who did the work and get the notes they have on the work and why they were replaced. This detailed information is only available at the local dealer. Other dealers cannot log-in and get detailed notes about service work at other dealers.

If I knew which car it was, and could look at the Carfax I might be able to get some more gut instinct assumptions.

Other than that, worth digging deeper into the car and trying to get more information.
Is he referring to this one?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8195/overview/
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 AM
soldierz23
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually Hurricane's car twin (love the black and yellow combo)

If you guys don't mind taking a look at the carfax and letting me know your thoughts.

What's the best way to get the maintenance records/notes from prior dealer? Do I contact them or have current seller/dealer do so? Seems they would have no incentive to do that...
Old 07-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

The car was sold and maintained at Byers. Not only will they have the maintenance records, they will send you copies as well (they did this for me when I bought mine CPO). I would definitely want to know about the pads. I've had mine for 19k total now with PCCBs and have had zero problems (or squeeks).

Note though that the PCCB pads were replaced nearly three years ago - I doubt it is a problem to be concerned with now but I would defintely still ask to clarify the reason.

If you are interested in this car, strike swiftly.

EDIT - I just saw that Byers isn't the seller this time (although it was sold and initially serviced there). The selling dealer will be able to get you the warranty work that was done but truthfully it might not be much more than what shows up in the CARFAX. If replacing pads wasn't done under warranty (a very good possibility unless they were found to be defective), then the selling dealer probably won't have any information on it. I don't know if Byers would do it for you (possibly?) and share computer records with you [they emailed them to me and they were quite detailed - they had serviced the car and done warranty work for all three years of its life], but then again they were trying to sell me the car). You could always ask Byers - give them the vin, worse they could say is 'no.' I would start with a phone call.

When I bought my first 991S (not my current one), I went to a local Porsche dealer (not the selling dealer, which was not a Porsche dealer) and they were able to pull up warranty work (not service) on the car - it was what was in their computer system, which wasn't much more detailed than the type of information listed in the CARFAX. I was mainly looking for recurring problems, particularly electric, that they might have had problems solving (i.e. a lemon?). I say this to temper your expectations on what the selling dealer may be able to provide.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:44 PM
soldierz23
Cruisin'

Thanks Hurricane, great info to know. I will do my due diligence. The red flag to me is that the brake pads were replaced 3 times! I can understand maybe once. It just seems the first owner probably drove it pretty hard. I guess I'll just have to see if worth the potential risk. Doesn't help that can't see the car in person. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by soldierz23
Thanks Hurricane, great info to know. I will do my due diligence. The red flag to me is that the brake pads were replaced 3 times! I can understand maybe once. It just seems the first owner probably drove it pretty hard. I guess I'll just have to see if worth the potential risk. Doesn't help that can't see the car in person. Thanks for the help!
Wow, you are truly across the country from it LOL. I drove eight hours to pick mine up in person. You could ask for more detailed photos of the rotors and calipers/pads I guess? (Although ceramics looks very different than steels - this was my first experience with them.). But being that they were replaced three years ago...you will probably be fine.

Wear and tear on PCCBs is a risk at any rate (as well as possible chipping). I LOVE the lack of brake dust (my wheels always look great!) and am very happy with mine. I accept the risk and cost and realize that if they don't last for a decade then I can either suck it up and get new rotors for $$$ or I could always switch out to steels when the time came for less $$$. Keeping my fingers cross that they last for many years, though.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

It's actually Hurricane's car twin (love the black and yellow combo)

If you guys don't mind taking a look at the carfax and letting me know your thoughts.

What's the best way to get the maintenance records/notes from prior dealer? Do I contact them or have current seller/dealer do so? Seems they would have no incentive to do that...
Have a link to the CarFax? Rather than try and look at pics?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:19 PM
soldierz23
Cruisin'

Oh do the carfax pics I attached not show up? It was a pdf that dealer sent me. I've attached pdf now
Old 07-15-2017, 01:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Oh do the carfax pics I attached not show up? It was a pdf that dealer sent me. I've attached pdf now
They showed up, but was having a hard time looking at them one by one on my iPhone. The PDF is much better. Will review soon.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM
beegee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a sexy build!!!

Not sure how hot this deal is, but asking $89,900 for a $146,000 MSRP.

WP0AB2A97DS122517

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112481541497?ul_noapp=true

Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,473 Posts

New RL here, been following HFS thread the last 2 months (thanks STG!). Appreciate all the great education and tips! I'm in the market for a 991.1 C2S. Looking at a potential HFS posted a few days ago =) However, the car was optioned with PCCBs, and I got the carfax saying that front and rear brake pads were replaced at 4800 miles, rear brake pads replaced again at 5200, and then both front and rear replaced again at 8000 miles. None after that, and the car is currently at 15 K miles. I thought PCCBs usually last the life of the car if used as DD? Is this a sure sign that this is a track car?
That is pretty excessive pad usage... If the carfax lists the dealer that did the brake work, it definitely would be worth a call and see if you can get the story on it.

I'd also check and see if the PCCB rotors are even still on the car... If the previous owner was going through pads (and presumably the extremely expensive rotors as well) that quickly, he might have converted to steel rotors.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Can someone post the link for hurricane's twin again?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM
soldierz23
Cruisin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...170k-msrp.html
Old 07-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by pfbz
That is pretty excessive pad usage... If the carfax lists the dealer that did the brake work, it definitely would be worth a call and see if you can get the story on it.

I'd also check and see if the PCCB rotors are even still on the car... If the previous owner was going through pads (and presumably the extremely expensive rotors as well) that quickly, he might have converted to steel rotors.
They are on there now...
Old 07-15-2017, 01:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hurricane
They are on there now...
Yup

Attachment 1186095Attachment 1186096
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

That is one sexy car. I think I need a towel...

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991