Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Hey STG and all.... I bought this GTS, picked it up yesterday. Since this thread was a huge help, I thought I'd post my thoughts and experiences to hopefully help others. I guess I open myself for bashing but oh well

My logic on why I pulled the trigger:
1. The car is immaculate, I honestly feel like I bought a brand new car
2. Super low miles, should help w resale down the road. It was also less stressful knowing the car is absolutely mint vs. some 25k mile cars with weird smells, a few rips, etc. Buying out of state its hard.
3. I always wanted to experience the "GTS" nostalgia.
4. Value: I picked it up for just over $96k. Based on the GTS market this is about the best deal around. Based on a comparable 4S/S selling for mid to high $90k I felt like I'm getting a GTS at the top end of the 15 4S/S market.
5. While the build is a bit odd, missing bose for example, it checked all the must have boxes for me. I mean, Adaptive Cruise on a GTS? It works great, however that is the LAST box to check. I would have added 100 better items. I wish I could understand the thinking of that $2500 selection....
7. Rhodium on a widebody w black wheels / red calipers is sexy Rhodium was my last choice originally , but after living w Rhodium its now my fav color even of GT Silver. It really pops w the GTS trim and black wheels. I thought I wanted black, but after seeing in it person it hides the wide lines of the GTS.
8. No SPASM. I know I will get completely bashed for stating this, tonight there will be rennlisters outside my house with torches and pitchforkes I bet - but I prefer a 911 w regular PASM not SPASM. PASM is the right balance for DD duties and back road fun. It was very difficult to find a nice GTS w/out SPASM. I mean, for $890 SPASM is about the best deal on a 911 so its on most GTS / top end 4S.
9. I was planing to pull the trigger on a 17 loaded base - black / manual / chrono / PSE / 4k miles / etc - until I drove it. The PSE was a MAJOR letdown. For $95k I figured I would enjoy the GTS ownership experience more, plus stronger resale. Cannot hear anything in the 991.2 in the cabin except for pops and overrun. I ran back to my 991.1 4S PSE and started looking for a GTS. Kinds sucks, what happens after this GTS? I hope somebody comes out with something to get the .2's to sound good! Ugh...

My concerns / downside for this car:
1. Why didnt it sell quicker? I know its not a perfect build, but its clean carfax immaculate condition. Am I missing something??? A little buyers remorse voice is lingering in the back of my head.... plus get rid of him for me ha ha
2. No CL wheels kinda bummer. I mean they're $0 option on a GTS. I did swap for satin black S wheels which makes a HUGE difference vs. the silver wheels. The CL's make the GTS unique.
3. No paddle's sucks... what was Porsche thinking lol. I'll get over it
4. Sunfroof would have been nice. But after a test drive at the dealer, it only opens about half way, so became not such a big deal anymore. Plus I get more headroom (I'm tall) and the exterior looks cleaner. I'm not a fan of glass roof on light color cars.
5. No XM even? Weird. I guess I'll have to use the iphone app.

Initial observations after 1\2 day of ownership
1. The engine / exhaust / PSE "on" noises are different than the 14 C4S I had. Seems like the GTS has a more "hollow" sound to it, a bit more exotic. Or maybe that was my hearing loss after a 18 hour road trip yesterday
2. Alcantara is awesome. Its much more comfortable than leather. And its unique to the GTS. Love it. I wish the dash and wheel were suede.
3. Not sure about the black bits on the rear - black engine cover and light bar is black. I liked the clean look on my rhodium 4S of silver engine cover and red light bar. I've told myself to live with it for a couple months before making any changes. I know the black bits are unique to the GTS.

Quick pic from delivery. Thanks again to this thread. Hopefully I can give back in some shape or form
Congrats!!! You did REALLY well! Beautiful car and a great deal!

BTW, you can pry my ACC from my cold dead hands when I am using it in traffic around the DC metro area... VERY rare option to find on a used 991, let alone a GTS. Overall a very nice build and a gorgeous car!

I had PASM on my first 991S, SPASM on my current 991S. If you aren't doing autocross or DE (track time), you won't miss it. I have gotten used to SPASM and find the ride very comfortable but no question it is a little firmer than PASM.

Your powerkit engine with PSE will sound fantastic! You will have ZERO regrets there...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM
nycpassat
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2015 GTS

Want to thank STG for his insight and help before making the decision to close the deal on this 2015 Carmine Red GTS with 9,600 miles on the odometer. Pretty nice build and the cherry on top is that its a manual. Here are a few photos of the pick up.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nycpassat
Want to thank STG for his insight and help before making the decision to close the deal on this 2015 Carmine Red GTS with 9,600 miles on the odometer. Pretty nice build and the cherry on top is that its a manual. Here are a few photos of the pick up.
According to your screen name you must have had a VW Passat in NY City. That is quite the upgrade now!! Congrats!! Beautiful car. I really like Carmine Red!!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow. Congrats guys!! TWO HOTT score stories in one day. Can't beat it!

Great looking cars!

Attachment 1247269

Attachment 1247268

Please post in the ALUMNI thread as well. Nice having these stories in both threads

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9671...r-buys-13.html
Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Silver one has a broken wing.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM
nycpassat
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fünfer
According to your screen name you must have had a VW Passat in NY City. That is quite the upgrade now!! Congrats!! Beautiful car. I really like Carmine Red!!
Thanks for the kind words. My screename goes all the way back to the 90's. Since then I've went through several cars.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Silver one has a broken wing.
What does a "broken wing" mean?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:17 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words. My screename goes all the way back to the 90's. Since then I've went through several cars.
NYC: your GTS has a different engine cover than mine, plus yours is painted body color. Which I prefer. Was that an option? I'm considering getting mine painted. Curious if that was from factory or somebody swapped out the engine cover...

Last edited by mrmojom3; 08-30-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM
STG
Race Director

What does a "broken wing" mean?
It's a joke. Rear spoiler up.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:46 PM
STG
Race Director

NYC: your GTS has a different engine cover than mine, plus yours is painted body color. Which I prefer. Was that an option? I'm considering getting mine painted. Curious if that was from factory or somebody swapped out the engine cover...

For Ducktail and Aerokit Cup wings, the standard engine grill comes standard.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My concerns / downside for this car:
1. Why didnt it sell quicker? I know its not a perfect build, but its clean carfax immaculate condition. Am I missing something??? A little buyers remorse voice is lingering in the back of my head.... plus get rid of him for me ha ha
2. No CL wheels kinda bummer. I mean they're $0 option on a GTS. I did swap for satin black S wheels which makes a HUGE difference vs. the silver wheels. The CL's make the GTS unique.
3. No paddle's sucks... what was Porsche thinking lol. I'll get over it
4. Sunfroof would have been nice. But after a test drive at the dealer, it only opens about half way, so became not such a big deal anymore. Plus I get more headroom (I'm tall) and the exterior looks cleaner. I'm not a fan of glass roof on light color cars.
5. No XM even? Weird. I guess I'll have to use the iphone app.

Initial observations after 1\2 day of ownership
1. The engine / exhaust / PSE "on" noises are different than the 14 C4S I had. Seems like the GTS has a more "hollow" sound to it, a bit more exotic. Or maybe that was my hearing loss after a 18 hour road trip yesterday
2. Alcantara is awesome. Its much more comfortable than leather. And its unique to the GTS. Love it. I wish the dash and wheel were suede.
3. Not sure about the black bits on the rear - black engine cover and light bar is black. I liked the clean look on my rhodium 4S of silver engine cover and red light bar. I've told myself to live with it for a couple months before making any changes. I know the black bits are unique to the GTS.

Quick pic from delivery. Thanks again to this thread. Hopefully I can give back in some shape or form
A lot of these 'issues' are 'correctable' with mods and factory parts you can add - some are arguably better than the originals... Search is your friend
Old 08-30-2017, 02:59 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carmine is my favorite color besides Mexico Blue. It really must be seen to be appreciated. It's drop dead gorgeous and much better looking than Guards Red.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:08 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If I'm going to spend around $120K, isn't a GTS a much better option?? Lower miles and CPO to add!

What do I know??

Attachment 1246832Attachment 1246831Attachment 1246830

WP0AB2A99GS122278

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152678824868
Yeah. But anyone who buys that car for 120 is nuts. I believe it started life at Hoffman in Hartford, I think I saw it there in their showroom in the summer of 2014.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 315 Posts

Gorgeous car!!! Congrats!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Joseesq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 C2S for $69k and 7k SOLD

I knew this was a killer deal and a must on HFS. Posted late yesterday and now shows as sold. Hopefully it went to an HFS lurker. Lesson is that you must act FAST!

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991