Sponsored by:

991 Center Console Switch Panel Deconstruction

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 991 Center Console Switch Panel Deconstruction

Just getting-around to posting some DIY material. Well, honestly this is more of a review or breakdown of a part and not a DIY, since I don't actually change anything....

Not long ago, I deconstructed the center console switch box from a 991. (Shout-out to fellow member STG991 for the donor!) I thought the step-by-step and pictures I took would be useful to others, if not just those curious what is in the "magic" box that controls certain features of the car.

So if you are interested in the step-by-step and many more pictures, check out my post: Porsche 991 911 Center Console Switch Box Deconstruction

I start the breakdown with the switch panel already removed from the car, so if you haven't read-up on how to do that, read my previous DIY post: Center Console Trim Removal

Couple of other things to NOTE:
First: The switch panel in my breakdown is from a 991 with metal/glass roof option. The panel for Cab cars will be nearly identical however the center buttons will be top controls rather than roof. Also, the panel from non-cab cars without the sunroof option will be just blank in the center.
Second: Although I take everything apart, and discuss how one might utilize to create custom buttons or controls that integrate with the factory switch panel, I don't actually go into detail about how to do so. I can't tell you how to hack CAN BUS, wiring, etc. Maybe in a future post....
Anyways, hope this is useful, maybe even interesting to some.
The following 3 users liked this post by plenum:
NA6speed (11-16-2022), sailorlite (06-01-2024), wkearney99 (05-31-2024)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

OMG, what did you do to my switch panel?? I need it back!

Just kidding!

It's my old one before adding the PSE and ducktail. When changing any of those things, you have to order a whole new assembly if you want it done right with the correct buttons.

Plenum never ceases to amaze me. Nice job once again.

Look up his DIY posts. There's a lot of good stuff there. Hopefully he doesn't start charging a subscription fee for it soon!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 460 Posts

Sweet. Okay looks like I need one to add PSE but most likely if I wanted to swap out my sunroof for the OEM glass moonroof huh? Function should be same but coded to the car OR this switch. Otherwise look to be same dimenision and roof action. Hmm....
Old 11-16-2022, 12:37 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

@plenum Very nice job, thank you for the work. I am currently in the middle of playin garoud with the console box, and wondering how to remove the functioning buttons.
Your pictures would probably show all I need to see, but they are not available for me. The are blocked form Photobucket.
I am assuming that these buttons/switches are a two piece design, consisting of :
1. a "lid/cap" (the visible part, wheninstalled) - which I hope I can simply pop/push off by pushing with a small screwdriver or hex key from the bottom against the underside of the "lid"
2. The bottom piece which would then fall out towards the lower side, once you pop off the top cover. This part must come off downwards, but can only do so without the lid/cap so I can only assume the lid must be taken off.
Can you help me with this, or do you maybe still have the original pictures ot share? The DIY is fantastic, but with pictures, it would help me even more.

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,203 Likes on 725 Posts

plenum sold his 911, so he may or may not still be a RLer. Found this YT vid, hopefully it is helpful. It is actually a very good vid on taking apart the various modules.

The following users liked this post:
P991GTS (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 05:50 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately he does not take off the functioning buttons from the conslle but only the blank/dummy buttons. Those are easy, because you can see how the're held in place.
I was brave enough to prove my theory though and manage to take the covers off and remove the buttom completely.
So you simply but carefully push the lid off with a regular Screwdriver (covering the tip does not hurt) from inside out. You go though the small hole and push on the lid only. (1.). Then the lid pops off to the other side (2.).
Then you can push out by hand the remaining piece in the other direction from top to bottom 3.).

Last edited by NA6speed; 11-17-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you for this helpful post. I just did this this past weekend, and I doubt I would have taken it on without seeing this post!

In the process of popping out my SPORT button, I nicked it. Wondering if you happen to have an extra one, or similar button (e.g. SPORT PLUS or AUTO BLIP)
Old 05-31-2024, 04:34 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

@plenum Any chance of re-upping the pix from the blog post? I tried to send a PM but it says your mailbox is full.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:30 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 271 Posts

It was a bummer to lose plenum, as his posts often contained a lot of good technical detail. It appears that he sold his car in 2020 and vanished from the forum.

You might check out T-Design's instructions for their button memory module.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (06-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 08:42 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

I did a short video on how to take apart and remove buttons from switch console in case anyone else is trying to do this. Note that when pushing out the button covers that you see in the video you want to avoid a pointy objection becuase the button covers are thin and will show an a small protrusion where the pointy object pushed them out. Also do it slowly pushing on one corner at a time to get it out as even as possible to avoid snaping one of the 4 small tabs. I busted a tab on one button but it still goes back in perfectly and holds with 3 tabs.

The following 2 users liked this post by joserpaq:
bmxtreme (06-07-2024), Jim981CS (06-01-2024)

Quick Reply: 991 Center Console Switch Panel Deconstruction