Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:48 PM
drcarver
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
My 718 came but a multifunction wheel so I have not swapped one in . However, try the joker button in the instrument cluster that @josepaq mentioned. see attached. You may also have to enable the multifunction wheel in the steering wheel electronic module. See attached.

Did you need to enter an activation code?
The wheel is in the mail, so I’m just gathering data. I did enable multifunction in steering wheel electronic module in preparation, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I’m not sure if the activation code is necessary based on some other posts. It would be cool to get the menu for easy joker button assignment.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:58 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by drcarver
The wheel is in the mail, so I’m just gathering data. I did enable multifunction in steering wheel electronic module in preparation, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I’m not sure if the activation code is necessary based on some other posts. It would be cool to get the menu for easy joker button assignment.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:03 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I tried this but in my case I can change the coding for that same line and that change is not reflected on MF display. So my joker button is currently set to “vehicle display” using MF controls. When i change that line of coding to “PCM source” there’s no change on cluster.
The code definitely changes when I change the choice in the MFD but not right away. If I check with the thinkdiag it still shows the old code. If I turn off the car and give it a little bit it then shows the correct code.

I am still testing whether I can change the code with the thinkdiag. So far, it doesn't seem to work. Even after I change the code the diamond button seems to continue to use the old function.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:49 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

The code definitely changes when I change the choice in the MFD but not right away. If I check with the thinkdiag it still shows the old code. If I turn off the car and give it a little bit it then shows the correct code.

I am still testing whether I can change the code with the thinkdiag. So far, it doesn't seem to work. Even after I change the code the diamond button seems to continue to use the old function.
That's the same thing I saw. When using thinkdiag I can see all the option that I can assign to the joker button but no matter which one I picked for Key 1-4 it made no change on the function that the joker button was programmed to using the MF display to set that setting.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:25 AM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this question asked, but no one answered. Thinkdiag is described to come with 1 free year of updates, but is there a subscription cost to use this tool beyond the 1st year? Or can you continue to use it without any software updates?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:16 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
That's the same thing I saw. When using thinkdiag I can see all the option that I can assign to the joker button but no matter which one I picked for Key 1-4 it made no change on the function that the joker button was programmed to using the MF display to set that setting.
I'm guessing the wheel settings are saved with the rest of things (hvac, radio, seat) with the memory system? As in, you change it but if you don't use the [set][key] buttons on the door the car reloads the previously stored value. The next question would be whether the saving function allows for saving a non-standard use of the button or not.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:02 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I'm guessing the wheel settings are saved with the rest of things (hvac, radio, seat) with the memory system? As in, you change it but if you don't use the [set][key] buttons on the door the car reloads the previously stored value. The next question would be whether the saving function allows for saving a non-standard use of the button or not.

Nice idea. Unfortunately, I tried saving to both the button memory and key memory and still no luck. I also tried changing a second code for factory setting and did not have any luck with that either.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I am part of the 981/991 group that have been unsuccessfully trying to activate the added Sport Plus button with my PIWIS2. I installed the SC clock and with a hacked code tied to my vin I was able to activate the SC timing functions in the PCM3.1. I was also successful in assigning the SPORT PLUS button to the proper location but ran into the same roadblock others have while to activate sports chrono in the air con module. Some 981’s with early 2013 build date have been successful but it appears that Porsche made a change in late 2013 to complicate the unlocking of the Sports Plus function???

My 981 is still in winter hibernation and I have spent some time in PIWIS simulation mode searching the different modules besides the BKE (air con), cluster and the PCM. The front BCM (body control module) has a line “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” that I have not yet attempted to see if it can be activated in hopes of eliminating the roadblock in the Sport Plus activation on the 981/991. If anyone with one of the other coding tools could check to see if the front BMC has that option and if it can be activated and with the other established coding steps, will ultimately allow activation of the Sport Plus functionality.
Jim
Has any tried changing “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in front end electronics that @Jim981CS mentioned? I would but my 718 has no such code.

@Jim981CS when you say that you were successful in assigning the sport plus button, are you saying that you physically added the button? If so to the console or the steering wheel? Where did you get it and how much?
Old 05-01-2024, 11:25 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

Has any tried changing “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in front end electronics that @Jim981CS mentioned? I would but my 718 has no such code.

@Jim981CS when you say that you were successful in assigning the sport plus button, are you saying that you physically added the button? If so to the console or the steering wheel? Where did you get it and how much?
Ken,
Six years ago my first upgrade was the Suncoast PSE kit that came with a new console switch panel that was universal and included switches for all the possible options. I proactively added the sports plus switch while adding the PSE switch. IIRC Suncoast and other dealerships sell them for about $275. I was able to successfully code and assign the SPORT PLUS button in the console with my PIWIS2 following @Visual post but then ran into a snag trying to activate SC after entering the 16 digit hacked code. My 981 does not have the steering wheel mode switch that you have on the 718 and only has the console switch.
I’m not familiar with the Sport Plus switch on the 718’s. If your car came with the Sport Chrono option does it only come with the steering wheel mode switch or does it also include the console Sport Plus switch?
Jim

I just got my car out of winter hibernation today and will now have access to it to start playing with the with PIWIS in hopes to try some coding projects. I have a list of maintenance items to do also including oil change, PDK clutch fluid/ gear oil change and brake fluid flush and hopefully ABS flush if I can figure out how to do it with PIWIS.🤔

Last edited by Jim981CS; 05-01-2024 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:12 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
Ken,
Six years ago my first upgrade was the Suncoast PSE kit that came with a new console switch panel that was universal and included switches for all the possible options. I proactively added the sports plus switch while adding the PSE switch. IIRC Suncoast and other dealerships sell them for about $275. I was able to successfully code and assign the SPORT PLUS button in the console with my PIWIS2 following @Visual post but then ran into a snag trying to activate SC after entering the 16 digit hacked code. My 981 does not have the steering wheel mode switch that you have on the 718 and only has the console switch.
I’m not familiar with the Sport Plus switch on the 718’s. If your car came with the Sport Chrono option does it only come with the steering wheel mode switch or does it also include the console Sport Plus switch?
Jim

I just got my car out of winter hibernation today and will now have access to it to start playing with the with PIWIS in hopes to try some coding projects. I have a list of maintenance items to do also including oil change, PDK clutch fluid/ gear oil change and brake fluid flush and hopefully ABS flush if I can figure out how to do it with PIWIS.🤔
Let us know how it goes. The 718 comes from the factory with the button on the steering wheel. The car did not come the factory with a sport plus button on the console. However, the coding to assign a console button to sport plus exists. Just don't know if it would work if a button was added to the console.

Last edited by Ken718B; 05-02-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:20 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

This thing is great! Tonight I reset the oil service/inspection warning and changed Auto Stop/Start to remember it's last setting ie. stay off. For me, this alone was worth the price of admission.
The following 2 users liked this post by docskeet:
911T4ME (05-03-2024), Frankfurt1470 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 05:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice idea. Unfortunately, I tried saving to both the button memory and key memory and still no luck. I also tried changing a second code for factory setting and did not have any luck with that either.
Then I'm guessing the software that handles the load/save from the memory system is only designed to do so with values it's known to be able to set itself. Bummer.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Then I'm guessing the software that handles the load/save from the memory system is only designed to do so with values it's known to be able to set itself. Bummer.
In any event Santirx got back to me and said that he was mistaken. When he sets the diamond button on his 718 with factory sport chrono to activate sport plus it did nothing. Since the diamond button did work to activate sport plus on his Macan that does not have factory sport chrono his guess is it is due to the fact that the 718 sport plus button is on the steering wheel. Whereas the macan has the button in the console.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:23 AM
Ken718B
Banned

I saw a reference somewhere to a function activation for the PCM under special functions but there are no special functions on my thinkdiag in the PCM for my 718. Are there special functions on the thinkdiag under the PCM for the 991?
Old 05-03-2024, 01:51 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anyone coded the parking sensor to default to off? I start the car in my garage and it goes nuts every time.

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic