Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 01:33 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
So I've been playing with coding to see what other options could be added to my 991.1S non SC. I installed a SC stopwatch and turned on SC in AC and PCM then programmed the PASM button to turn on SC but no dice. Seams like even if I changed the button assignment in the "AC" section the button continues to control the original item it was set to operate. I thought maybe this was due to the code that is needed to active SC in PCM and AC according to others that have done this using PIWIS. After some additional reading I thought I'd try to program one of the existing buttons to program Sport exhaust to operate the COV valves even if it's on my non PSE center muffler. I can operate the valves in thinkdiag by actuating them but when I assinged "sports exhaust" to the auto on/off button location it didn't work. Any idea on how to move around the button functions on the switch console using coding?
do you have a multifunction wheel? If so did you try turning on the code to allow the diamond button to be mapped to sport plus?
Old 04-20-2024, 02:37 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
do you have a multifunction wheel? If so did you try turning on the code to allow the diamond button to be mapped to sport plus?
I do have MF wheel but I'm out of town right now so I can't test. I'm going to give it a try when I get back but if you look at his video, his car has some options under settings/steering wheel operation/key that don't come up on the 991.1. I think my car lets me program key to some PCM & cluster functions but no vehicle functions like the one in the video. That section "Vehicle" is where you can assig the joker key to "sport", "start/stop" and "pasm". So he just added sports+ to that menu. In the 991.1 case we'd have to activate the "Vehicle" option as well.

The video I'm referring to is listed below.

Last edited by joserpaq; 04-20-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I do have MF wheel but I'm out of town right now so I can't test. I'm going to give it a try when I get back but if you look at his video, his car has some options under settings/steering wheel operation/key that don't come up on the 991.1. I think my car lets me program key to some PCM & cluster functions but no vehicle functions like the one in the video. That section "Vehicle" is where you can assig the joker key to "sport", "start/stop" and "pasm". So he just added sports+ to that menu. In the 991.1 case we'd have to activate the "Vehicle" option as well.

The video I'm referring to is listed below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Cx1auU6sw
That is exactly the coding I was referring to (see attached). By changing the codes you will have a vehicle option under the diamond button settings and will be able to assign sport, sport plus, ect to the diamond button. Whether or not you can get them to actually do anything is another story. Let me know if it works.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2024, 02:56 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

That is exactly the coding I was referring to (see attached). By changing the codes you will have a vehicle option under the diamond button settings and will be able to assign sport, sport plus, ect to the diamond button. Whether or not you can get them to actually do anything is another story. Let me know if it works.
Thanks Ken. Now I just need to get home to give this a try.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:05 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Thanks Ken. Now I just need to get home to give this a try.
thank you. I would be very interested in this if you can get it to work. However others have tried it on a 718 and were not successful. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:23 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

thank you. I would be very interested in this if you can get it to work. However others have tried it on a 718 and were not successful. Good luck!
I am part of the 981/991 group that have been unsuccessfully trying to activate the added Sport Plus button with my PIWIS2. I installed the SC clock and with a hacked code tied to my vin I was able to activate the SC timing functions in the PCM3.1. I was also successful in assigning the SPORT PLUS button to the proper location but ran into the same roadblock others have while to activate sports chrono in the air con module. Some 981’s with early 2013 build date have been successful but it appears that Porsche made a change in late 2013 to complicate the unlocking of the Sports Plus function???

My 981 is still in winter hibernation and I have spent some time in PIWIS simulation mode searching the different modules besides the BKE (air con), cluster and the PCM. The front BCM (body control module) has a line “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” that I have not yet attempted to see if it can be activated in hopes of eliminating the roadblock in the Sport Plus activation on the 981/991. If anyone with one of the other coding tools could check to see if the front BMC has that option and if it can be activated and with the other established coding steps, will ultimately allow activation of the Sport Plus functionality.
Jim
Old 04-21-2024, 08:53 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I am part of the 981/991 group that have been unsuccessfully trying to activate the added Sport Plus button with my PIWIS2. I installed the SC clock and with a hacked code tied to my vin I was able to activate the SC timing functions in the PCM3.1. I was also successful in assigning the SPORT PLUS button to the proper location but ran into the same roadblock others have while to activate sports chrono in the air con module. Some 981’s with early 2013 build date have been successful but it appears that Porsche made a change in late 2013 to complicate the unlocking of the Sports Plus function???

My 981 is still in winter hibernation and I have spent some time in PIWIS simulation mode searching the different modules besides the BKE (air con), cluster and the PCM. The front BCM (body control module) has a line “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” that I have not yet attempted to see if it can be activated in hopes of eliminating the roadblock in the Sport Plus activation on the 981/991. If anyone with one of the other coding tools could check to see if the front BMC has that option and if it can be activated and with the other established coding steps, will ultimately allow activation of the Sport Plus functionality.
Jim
By "other established coding steps" are you referring to additional coding that is required? If so, what is the additional required coding? Keep in mind our thinkdiags can't do auto coding so we need to know the manual codes that need to be changed.

Last edited by Ken718B; 04-21-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:23 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Jim
I didn't find any codes in front end electronics that mentioned equipment, sports or chrono on my 982.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:26 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

By "other established coding steps" are you referring to additional coding that is required? If so, what is the additional required coding? Keep in mind our thinkdiags can't do auto coding so we need to know the manual codes that need to be changed.
Three years age @Visual started a thread about retrofitting sports chrono on his 981. In post #5 he listed the complete process using PIWIS2 and some were successful but withe early 2013 build dates. I don’t know if the thinkdiags or other tools would have equivalent steps to allow unlocking the Sport Plus function??? He also had an earlier thread about retrofitting the SC clock.
Jimhttps://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=203575

Last edited by Jim981CS; 04-21-2024 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 04-21-2024, 08:31 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

I didn't find any codes in front end electronics that mentioned equipment, sports or chrono on my 982.
Thanks for checking. I have only been researching on the 981/991.1 and have not seen anything on the 2017 and newer 992.2/718 with the PCM 4.0 head units. The “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in the front BCM module that I found was in the PIWIS2 simulation mode which is for 2016 and earlier 991.1 and 981 cars. The link for the thread from @Visual about his steps to activate Sport Plus worked on early 2013 981’s and it seems like Porsche has made it more difficult to activate it on later models???
Jim
Old 04-22-2024, 03:22 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Thanks for checking. I have only been researching on the 981/991.1 and have not seen anything on the 2017 and newer 992.2/718 with the PCM 4.0 head units. The “Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in the front BCM module that I found was in the PIWIS2 simulation mode which is for 2016 and earlier 991.1 and 981 cars. The link for the thread from @Visual about his steps to activate Sport Plus worked on early 2013 981’s and it seems like Porsche has made it more difficult to activate it on later models???
Jim
I understand that you are working with a 981. However in corresponding with others on this forum as well as others there is a lot of similarities between the codes for the various Porsche models.

An unrelated question. Someone posted on the 718 forum that they coded their 981 to remember the last state of the sport button. They were clear that they were not referring to the start stop button. They said that they would post the coding they used but never did. Are you aware of this coding for the 981? If so can you share it?

Old 04-22-2024, 04:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

I am still thinking about coding the taillights to flicker when pressing the brakes. Does anyone know if the third brake light is affected with the changes or just the tails?

Another question, any negatives to making the change ie annoyances from other drivers? For whatever reason, I have a slight reluctance to the coding. but do not know why.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:41 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I am still thinking about coding the taillights to flicker when pressing the brakes. Does anyone know if the third brake light is affected with the changes or just the tails?

Another question, any negatives to making the change ie annoyances from other drivers? For whatever reason, I have a slight reluctance to the coding. but do not know why.
check out this video at about 2:35m to see ebd in action

Old 04-22-2024, 07:44 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

I am not sure if the Thinkdiag has the option to set the value of G-force when the taillights strobe but on the PIWIS2 the values can be set. @nhnguy12 concluded to activate his at .4G and turn off at .3G so it will activate with a quick stop but not under normal braking. YMMV
Jim
Old 04-22-2024, 08:14 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

I understand that you are working with a 981. However in corresponding with others on this forum as well as others there is a lot of similarities between the codes for the various Porsche models.

An unrelated question. Someone posted on the 718 forum that they coded their 981 to remember the last state of the sport button. They were clear that they were not referring to the start stop button. They said that they would post the coding they used but never did. Are you aware of this coding for the 981? If so can you share it?
My 981 already retained the memory of the last setting of the start/stop button (some did) so I did not research that. IMHO the engine gets up to operating temperature quicker in normal mode and then I switch to Sport mode so I did not research the memory on the Sport button as I would not use it. YMMV The coding for it may be out there but I do not recall seeing it.

The coding I have already done with PIWIS2 on my 981 is: GT3 steering, PTV, PDK “N” neutral display, G-force display, B/U camera, cluster lights stay on, actual coolant temperature displayed, Sport Chrono timing function, PSE activation with new switch panel. Future coding projects: expert menu display in MFD, Performance menu display in MFD and emergency brake light strobe and the Sport Plus button activation if it can be discovered.
Jim

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic