Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:43 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Curvfun
I activated several things today on the 991.2. The Expert Menu is in German. There's a lot of into there if I could just understand it. 😊 I cannot find some of the changes required for lighting the four DRL lights with the headlights turned on. If anyone has something more specific than what is listed in the X431 coding guide pdf file we're referencing, I'd appreciate any updates there may be. I also don't have all the options listed for the EBD activation nor the Sound Symposer. The software doesn't find that option at all.

All in all, this whole thing is a real treat as many of the options have been programmed in my BMW's for many years and which I've wanted in the 991.2. I'm really glad to finally find some of them.
The expert menu is in German and also the values are Metric on my 718. I would like to make it English and imperial units. I searched for a way to change this but couldn’t find anything.

There are two codes for the four point leds on my 718. One code keeps them on when the headlights are on. The other code changes the brightness of the leds. Which one can’t you find?

For ebd I saw someone else post the coding and the codes were slightly different. Try searching using other terms in the code to find ones that you couldn’t locate. I believe other 991 owners have enabled this so the codes are there.

Coding only works to disable a soundaktor. The 991 has a sound symposer. That is why it is not finding the code. Youtube has videos for disabling the sound symposer. I believe it involves sticking a sock in it to lower the amount of sound “enhancement” entering the cabin.

Last edited by Ken718B; 03-11-2024 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Curvfun (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:15 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I activated several things today on the 991.2. The Expert Menu is in German. There's a lot of into there if I could just understand it. 😊 I cannot find some of the changes required for lighting the four DRL lights with the headlights turned on. If anyone has something more specific than what is listed in the X431 coding guide pdf file we're referencing, I'd appreciate any updates there may be. I also don't have all the options listed for the EBD activation nor the Sound Symposer. The software doesn't find that option at all.

All in all, this whole thing is a real treat as many of the options have been programmed in my BMW's for many years and which I've wanted in the 991.2. I'm really glad to finally find some of them.
The codes posted in the guide were codes someone else posted. In the next version of the guide I use the codes that were from my launch crp919x. I have posted those below:

Rear-End Electronics: Coding Value-Exterior Lighting-Exterior Lights, emergency brake display function available = Yes {Default: No}

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing on – speed on = 3 {Default: 70} [whatever speed you want emergency brake to start activating, default is 70km/h, but Santirx set his up at any speed above 3 km/h… once car reaches 3 km/h, if you brake hard, it will activate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD parameter-EBD stop lamp flashing deceleration on = 0.45 {Default: 0.81}[whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, Santirx found that setting this value to 0.45g is appropriate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing deceleration off = 0.35 {Default: 0.71} [whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, Santirx found that setting this value to 0.35g is appropriate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing run-on time = 1 {Default: 0} [this is the amount of flashing time… through experimentation Santirx found that 1 second is enough, otherwise you could stop at a light and the lights could still be flashing (while you are stopped)]

Last edited by Ken718B; 03-11-2024 at 10:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ken718B:
ltcjmramos (04-05-2024), thesaintusa (03-12-2024), WAM (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 11:30 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Update since below was written. Turns out that all of my "Exterior Lighting" on / off parameters are located in Coding Value. Everything programmed correctly after I found these options there. So far, so good.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
-------------------------------------------
Thanks to all for the hints and further direction. I may be making a rookie mistake, but my inability to program the 'DRL's when headlights are on' and the 'EBD parameters' seems to be that I do not have a selection required in the Rear-End electronics. I do not have Exterior Lights, only Exterior Lights Parameters. Therefore I do not have the ability to activate the changes for the other parameters. I don't know what else to do except to ask if any of you can point me in the right direction or have ever encountered this anomaly.

Rear-End Electronics: Coding Value-Exterior Lighting-Exterior Lights, emergency brake display function available = Yes {Default: No}

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, DD as a marker light = YES - {Default: No}

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lights Parameters: Dimming value for DD lights as marker light = 100 {Default: No}

Last edited by Curvfun; 03-12-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:09 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Update since below was written. Turns out that all of my "Exterior Lighting" on / off parameters are located in Coding Value. Everything programmed correctly after I found these options there. So far, so good.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
-------------------------------------------
Thanks to all for the hints and further direction. I may be making a rookie mistake, but my inability to program the 'DRL's when headlights are on' and the 'EBD parameters' seems to be that I do not have a selection required in the Rear-End electronics. I do not have Exterior Lights, only Exterior Lights Parameters. Therefore I do not have the ability to activate the changes for the other parameters. I don't know what else to do except to ask if any of you can point me in the right direction or have ever encountered this anomaly.

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, DD as a marker light = YES - {Default: No}

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lights Parameters: Dimming value for DD lights as marker light = 100 {Default: No}
If I can’t find a code one way I try finding it another way. If you can’t find the exterior lighting section try finding the code by searching for DD or marker to see if you can locate the code that way.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:59 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another update. Everything works except the DRLs with the headlights on. Whenever I change these two parameters and turn on the LED headlights, they blink. On and off about once a second, bright or dim doesn't matter. I'm thinking that will draw more attention to me than blue or purple headlights, so I reloaded the OEM options for that. 😊 Don't know if anyone has ever encountered this anomaly, but anyone who has and resolved it, please let me know how that works. Thanks guys.

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, DD as a marker light = YES {Default: No}
Old 03-12-2024, 06:23 PM
milemarker60
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same result with DRLs flashing on my 2017 991.2…with PDLS+ package. I figured it was due to the “+” headlights vs the standard.
Curvfun (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 06:26 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Another update. Everything works except the DRLs with the headlights on. Whenever I change these two parameters and turn on the LED headlights, they blink. On and off about once a second, bright or dim doesn't matter. I'm thinking that will draw more attention to me than blue or purple headlights, so I reloaded the OEM options for that. 😊 Don't know if anyone has ever encountered this anomaly, but anyone who has and resolved it, please let me know how that works. Thanks guys.

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, DD as a marker light = YES {Default: No}

try changing just the first parameter. See if that works. Leave the second one at the default which on my 718 was 6. The second parameter changes the brightness of the leds. Maybe your car does not like that. If that works and you want to make the leds brighter try higher numbers until you start having an issue.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:53 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
The codes posted in the guide were codes someone else posted. In the next version of the guide I use the codes that were from my launch crp919x. I have posted those below:

Rear-End Electronics: Coding Value-Exterior Lighting-Exterior Lights, emergency brake display function available = Yes {Default: No} <----- this specific option was not available on the ThinkDiag on my 991.2

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing on – speed on = 3 {Default: 70} [whatever speed you want emergency brake to start activating, default is 70km/h, but Santirx set his up at any speed above 3 km/h… once car reaches 3 km/h, if you brake hard, it will activate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD parameter-EBD stop lamp flashing deceleration on = 0.45 {Default: 0.81}[whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, Santirx found that setting this value to 0.45g is appropriate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing deceleration off = 0.35 {Default: 0.71} [whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, Santirx found that setting this value to 0.35g is appropriate]

Rear-End Electronics: EBD parameter- EBD stop lamp flashing run-on time = 1 {Default: 0} [this is the amount of flashing time… through experimentation Santirx found that 1 second is enough, otherwise you could stop at a light and the lights could still be flashing (while you are stopped)]
Curious if any of the other coders had the line/option above in BOLD?

Also if somebody can tell me what the default time on and off (msec) for the lights?

FWIW: was able to increase the MAX boost that is displayed by the boost gauge, and set the coolant temp display to display the actual temps.

Last edited by thesaintusa; 03-12-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found it in “Rear-End Electronics: Coding Values” section. I couldn’t find it anywhere else. Hope this helps.
thesaintusa (03-16-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 11:00 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

I found it in “Rear-End Electronics: Coding Values” section. I couldn’t find it anywhere else. Hope this helps.
I will take another look but couldn't find it.

Added the Wiper Teardrop Function as well.

Enjoying the ThinkMagic device. Curious if I can code with the BMW X3 and the E63. hmmmm
Old 03-13-2024, 05:45 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Can I change the forward speed the rear camera turns off?
Old 03-13-2024, 06:14 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by GoTime
Can I change the forward speed the rear camera turns off?
I did it on my 718. I did not like the fact that the rear camera didn't turn off until I reached 16 kph (or 10 mph). I changed my car to 5 kph (or 3.1 mph).

I changed the following:

Park Assist: Speed thresholds-System switch-off speed = 5 {Default: 16}

Park Assist: Speed thresholds-System switch-off speed display readiness = 5 {Default: 16}

Park Assist: ECU coding data-OPS switch-off speed threshold = 5 {Default: 16}
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken718B:
Curvfun (03-14-2024), GoTime (03-13-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:41 PM
Ken718B
Banned

In case anyone is interested here is a link to a post which contains a spreadsheet that lists the PIWIS codes from his 991 as well as translations of the codes.

https://www.renntech.org/topic/55779...-translations/
The following 4 users liked this post by Ken718B:
911T4ME (03-17-2024), Catharpin (03-17-2024), Curvfun (03-18-2024), thesaintusa (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 11:38 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm about 70 days into owning this device, and the shine has definitely come off. Hopefully no one else has these issues, but here are some notes in case they help someone out:
  • Out of the box, I had some intermittent connection issues with it, which I chalked up to spotty wifi in my garage
  • Every time I used the device (probably at about 7 times total at this point that it has successfully communicated with one of my cars), it took more and more attempts to get it to be able to read my VIN or talk to any modules (but the bluetooth connection between the tablet and the device was apparently fine)
  • Their tech support responds promptly, but the answers are not helpful - they seem to be claiming that the issue is because I am using a tablet rather than a phone
  • At their suggestion, I tried using it in standard OBD2 code read mode on one of my other cars, and interestingly it still failed to commnuicate, but also while cycling through all of the possible OBD protocols, it set a CEL on that car that took 3 drive cycles to go away - bonus feature!
ThinkCar has a US address in Ontario, CA, so calling there will be my next step. At worst, I did get $80 of value out of it with the features I enabled on my cars, but in terms of "you get what you paid for", a pricier all in one unit like the Launch X431, with apparently the same software/capabilities, would make it a lot easier to hold a vendor accountable for their own product.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:24 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by LFB
I'm about 70 days into owning this device, and the shine has definitely come off. Hopefully no one else has these issues, but here are some notes in case they help someone out:
  • Out of the box, I had some intermittent connection issues with it, which I chalked up to spotty wifi in my garage
  • Every time I used the device (probably at about 7 times total at this point that it has successfully communicated with one of my cars), it took more and more attempts to get it to be able to read my VIN or talk to any modules (but the bluetooth connection between the tablet and the device was apparently fine)
  • Their tech support responds promptly, but the answers are not helpful - they seem to be claiming that the issue is because I am using a tablet rather than a phone
  • At their suggestion, I tried using it in standard OBD2 code read mode on one of my other cars, and interestingly it still failed to commnuicate, but also while cycling through all of the possible OBD protocols, it set a CEL on that car that took 3 drive cycles to go away - bonus feature!
ThinkCar has a US address in Ontario, CA, so calling there will be my next step. At worst, I did get $80 of value out of it with the features I enabled on my cars, but in terms of "you get what you paid for", a pricier all in one unit like the Launch X431, with apparently the same software/capabilities, would make it a lot easier to hold a vendor accountable for their own product.
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Thinkdiag. It may be a bad unit because I have never had any issues with it communicating with my car or recognizing the VIN. As I have previously said, my only complaint is that, unlike my CRP919X, it does not indicate which module a code is in.

Last edited by Ken718B; 03-18-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Curvfun (03-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic