Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 07:01 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

This vid goes into setups for SUV, but it is more or less the same for 911. You can watch the whole thing or skip to around 2:45 where they explain saving setting to your key. Basically, do all the setting you want, press SET and the key icon on the door, and your personal settings will be saved to the key in the car. If you wife drives the car, you can set her personal settings the same way on her key.

The following users liked this post:
bds (03-05-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:17 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
This vid goes into setups for SUV, but it is more or less the same for 911. You can watch the whole thing or skip to around 2:45 where they explain saving setting to your key. Basically, do all the setting you want, press SET and the key icon on the door, and your personal settings will be saved to the key in the car. If you wife drives the car, you can set her personal settings the same way on her key.
I don't have the memory package nor the key icon or buttons on the door.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:41 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sjjon
so I bought an android tablet and installed the thinkdiag+ app, I can scan my car, go into all the modules and "special functions" which I see are pretty much all calibration stuff but nowhere can I find any coding options? any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You don't want to be in special function. Choose Automatically Select. It should determine the car you have then hit OK. Then choose system selection. Then Select the appropriate System for the code you want to adjust (Note: This is the system listed for the codes you want to change such as Front-end Electronics, Rear-End Electronics, Instrument Cluster or Air Conditioning). Then choose Code Brush Hiding then Brush Hidden Modified then find the codes you want to modify.

If you don't know what to change, check out my coding guide at this link: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1384...l#post19200101

While the guide is for a 718, many of the changes work on other Porsches including the 991.

Last edited by Ken718B; 02-28-2024 at 10:44 PM.
slowrey (02-28-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:09 AM
MaxBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly the same questions, this thing is less than intuitive
Old 02-29-2024, 10:34 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxBlack
Exactly the same questions, this thing is less than intuitive
Here are some basic instructions to assist anyone who is less then intuitive;
THINKDIAG Quick Start System Reference
1) Plug unit into OBD 2 Port (Green Lights on unit when plugged in correctly)
2) Ignition ON, Engine OFF
3) Select All Systems Diagnostics (Blue Lights on unit)
4) Select Vin Decoding > VIN should be Found automatically
5) System Select (Select system as desired to code options in that system)

Example: Auto Stop/Start set to “Last State”
1) Select AC > Code Brush Hiding > Rule Coding > Coding Value > “Default Driving State Coding Value = Eco ON” (Change this to “Last State”)
2) Select AC > Code Brush Hiding > Rule Coding > Coding Value > “Default Driving State Coding Value Last Mode = No” (Change this to “Yes”)
3) Select "write", then after confirmation, use back arrow (upper left) to return to step 5 (System Select) above.
I hope this helps those you are having some issues. It is really very simple following these basic instructions.

The following 3 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
bds (03-05-2024), cbredesen (03-01-2024), Porsche_nuts (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:53 AM
JLCarrera
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I see people reporting that you can tweak the Sound Symposer using Thinkdiag in a 718. Are these options also available for 991? This is an excerpt from the coding guide for 718:

20. Change Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) Sound Loudness Level (done and works) -- You can change the Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) sound volume, or even turn it off. The Soundaktor is a device that produces artificial engine sound to “enhance” the sound of the engine
in the cabin. I changed this value on my car to 0% since I think that the engine sounds better without artificial engine sound.

Sound Symposer: Loudness_actuator_for_structure_borne_sound = 0 {Default: 100}
[you can set this figure to any value between 0 to 100%].
Old 02-29-2024, 11:14 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by JLCarrera
I see people reporting that you can tweak the Sound Symposer using Thinkdiag in a 718. Are these options also available for 991? This is an excerpt from the coding guide for 718:

20. Change Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) Sound Loudness Level (done and works) -- You can change the Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) sound volume, or even turn it off. The Soundaktor is a device that produces artificial engine sound to “enhance” the sound of the engine
in the cabin. I changed this value on my car to 0% since I think that the engine sounds better without artificial engine sound.

Sound Symposer: Loudness_actuator_for_structure_borne_sound = 0 {Default: 100}
[you can set this figure to any value between 0 to 100%].
Probably not. The coding on the 718s only work with 718s that have a soundaktor. 718 Spyders and GTS 4.0s have a sound symposer. I am pretty sure this coding does not work on cars with a sound symposer. I believe the 991s have sound symposers.
Porsche_nuts (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:30 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
Probably not. The coding on the 718s only work with 718s that have a soundaktor. 718 Spyders and GTS 4.0s have a sound symposer. I am pretty sure this coding does not work on cars with a sound symposer. I believe the 991s have sound symposers.
I tried this on 991.1 but the sound symposer controller was not found with system scan and when I try to select it the unit says it’s not found. So couldn’t adjust it.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:16 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply @Ken718B and @981KMAN , I'm following the same instructions however I don't get the "code brush hiding" option in the list. FYI, thinkdiag is brand new bought just 2 weeks ago, I verified I have the free year of full access active and have double checked that the Porsche files are downloaded.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:20 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Thanks for the reply @Ken718B and @981KMAN , I'm following the same instructions however I don't get the "code brush hiding" option in the list. FYI, thinkdiag is brand new bought just 2 weeks ago, I verified I have the free year of full access active and have double checked that the Porsche files are downloaded.
I have also had my thinkdiag for about two weeks. I had a crp919x but returned it based on people on this forum saying the thinkdiag can do everything my crp919x can do. So far I haven’t found anything the thinkdiag can’t do. The only thing I prefer about the crp919x is the thinkdiag code doesn't state the module that the code was from.

i don't know why you don't have the code brush option. if you upload pictures of the steps you are taking maybe we can help. i would be surprised if it is not just wrong steps you are taking.
981KMAN (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 PM
nsau
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

are you using an android or ios device? The software is different and the ios version is missing many, many options. I had to buy a cheap android tablet to do what I wanted to do.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:47 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@nsau yes, I did the same, I bought a cheap android tablet for the same purpose when I realized the coding function wasn't available via IOS
Old 03-01-2024, 03:19 PM
Chonson
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 27 Posts

Can someone provide a link for the tool with which I can code GT3 steering software for my 2015 S? I use an Android phone for what it's worth. I see a number of versions on their website.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:40 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JLCarrera
The Soundaktor is a device that produces artificial engine sound to “enhance” the sound of the engine
This is false information, at least for the 991.1. Which considering we are in a 991 sub forum I think is important to point out.

"Sound symposers
In addition to the new exhaust systems, two sound symposers provide for a particularly emotional sound in the passenger compartment. They transfer the load-dependent pressure differences upstream of the throttle valve to a diaphragm causing this to vibrate and transmit the engine sound directly into the passenger compartment. In normal mode, one sound symposer opens above an engine speed of 1,800 rpm.

In SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode, the second sound symposer is additionally activated at all engine speeds. During deceleration, the first sound symposer is always closed and the second is closed between 3,500 and 1,800 rpm.
"
​​​​​​​TLDR: the sound symposer is a little hole that can open or close on demand. It allows real engine noise to enter the cabin. Nothing artificial is produced. (Again for the 991.1)
tilac999 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:21 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
It was off 2 mph at 80. Not the end of the world, but why put up with it, if it's easily corrected.

I often use cruise control when not in a hurry, to stay out of ticket trouble. i figure that 5 mph or ten percent over the speed limit--whichever is greater--will keep me out of trouble. So I appreciate precision int his measure.

Of course, if the Porsche engineers had a gram of brain, they would use the car's built-in GPS to periodically calibrate the car's speedometer, thus correcting for tire wear and changes.

Originally Posted by Frankfurt1470
I love this Thinkdiag gadget! Just did the same thing in my 2019 991.2, set all values to 98.0. FINALLY, the speedometer matches Waze and my GPS-Speedometer-App perfectly.

Amazing what we can do with this thing given the cost.
Is your cruise control off 1 or 2 mph as a result of this coding? If I set my cruise control to 70, the car only goes 68 or 69? My guess is that the cruise control is using the speed of the car without the correction.

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic