991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 09:57 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by NA2
​​​​​​
I work for a leading chip maker. Lead time on new orders is exceeding 18 months and increasing daily. All pay up front and strict no cancel terms. Supply and demand curves will not intersect for at least 2 years.
unless the market crashes this fall and demand suddenly falls…………then chip marked could come in balance much sooner…….those who can predict the future…..$$$$
Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 PM
SaaS
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just missed out on a gorgeous Craigslist 991 C2S cabrio. Car had $140k sticker, 70k miles, clean carfax, and the guy was asking $69k. Seemed like a great deal and while I was a little concerned the higher mileage, I was literally already moving the funds into my bank account before I even saw the car, so that I would be ready to pounce on it. The guy told me over text message that a lot of people were interested in the car, which made me roll my eyes- I've heard that plenty of times only to see the car sit for months on Craigslist (before the chip shortage).

When I spoke with the guy on the phone, I assured him that I am "probably a lot more serious than most of the people who contact you through Craigslist". I was alluding to the fact that some people seem to take up as a hobby wasting sellers' time on Craigslist. The guy gave an awkward laugh, like he didn't know what I was talking about. I figured he was the one who didn't know...how much of a headache it would be to make the sale on Craigslist.

Well... two days later the car was sold. I've never been so disappointed about losing out on a car. I totally underestimated the market we're in.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:59 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

everything works out for a reason,,the next car will be better
Old 08-21-2021, 06:18 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

I hope this is not a violation of Rennlist rules. I am trying to figure out the value of our 991.2 C2, shown in the pictures above. It has about 11,500 miles on the odo and was purchased in December of 2018. The wheels and tires shown are the Porsche winter tire and wheel set. Just put a new set of Michelin PS4S tires on it, as well as a Numeric short shifter and black steering wheel trim. It has black Soul exhaust tips. Have all the OEM parts. It suffered some cosmetic damage to the front end--including windshield replacement--all of which was beautifully repaired by my dealer's certified Porsche body shop. Any advice you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-21-2021, 06:34 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Dang. That is a nice build. I think the constraint is the damage. I would have said private party is probably $100K, maybe even more right now. But that Carfax is tough as it'll impact the buyer when they try and sell it later, so there's a definitely loss of value there. Without that I'd have said $90K. With it, Not sure.

I was looking at an F150 yesterday and they asked what I was going to do with my 911 C2. I told them I'd probably just sell it since the market is pretty hot. They asked me if I wanted a trade number and I said sure, couldn't hurt. Then they tried to give me a number and they (and the manager of the store) got all sorts of nervous. "We need to make a few calls and check with some folks on this and we don't want to insult you ... "

Everything's turned upside down right now.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:04 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

I don't understand the concern about the damage. It was all cosmetic--and relatively minor--and has been beautifully repaired. One cannot tell anything happened to it.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 08-21-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:59 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Any damage even minor gives hesitation. Damage reduces the value between 0% and 100%, right? If comparing two identical cars where one had some (beautifully repaired) damage, of course you would choose the undamaged car.

This is why diminished value claims are a thing.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:16 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Any damage even minor gives hesitation. Damage reduces the value between 0% and 100%, right? If comparing two identical cars where one had some (beautifully repaired) damage, of course you would choose the undamaged car.

This is why diminished value claims are a thing.
Our 911 is actually a bit nicer after the repair than before because a small rock chip in the hood was repaired along with the other cosmetic damage. If I knew then what I know now I would've put in a claim for diminution of value. Stupid me!

God bless,
TT

Old 08-22-2021, 08:40 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Is the damage on the national database or disclosed as is?
Old 08-22-2021, 01:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
If comparing two identical cars where one had some (beautifully repaired) damage, of course you would choose the undamaged car.
^ This is it, in a nutshell.

As soon as the paint gun comes out, there's a hit to the car's value—fair or not. Top dollar buyers want 100% factory paint, and the more of it, the better—with bumpers only getting a mild pass but still raising questions. Those buyers miss a lot of good cars, as one can make the argument that a well repaired car that hasn't been abused mechanically is better than one with all factory paint that's been abused or neglected. Then again, they're willing to pay for what they value. This "rule" does seem to apply more to recent Porsches than older ones. At some point, a complete repaint (or repaints) no longer count against a car—the only question is condition—while the few survivors with 100% factory paint go for multiples or at least significant premiums. Not sure what that crossover point is, in terms of model year/era.

My take? This appears to be a fantastic 911. The 991.2 Carrera 7MT was the first 911 to get me off the fence to order a new 911. Carrera 7MT + PCCB is that much more appealing, and this is a gorgeous color combo. Someone who doesn't mind a little paintwork, and even sees it as a permission slip to enjoy the car without worrying about keeping it 100% factory paint, is going to get a great car.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ This is it, in a nutshell.

As soon as the paint gun comes out, there's a hit to the car's value—fair or not. Top dollar buyers want 100% factory paint, and the more of it, the better—with bumpers only getting a mild pass but still raising questions. Those buyers miss a lot of good cars, as one can make the argument that a well repaired car that hasn't been abused mechanically is better than one with all factory paint that's been abused or neglected. Then again, they're willing to pay for what they value. This "rule" does seem to apply more to recent Porsches than older ones. At some point, a complete repaint (or repaints) no longer count against a car—the only question is condition—while the few survivors with 100% factory paint go for multiples or at least significant premiums. Not sure what that crossover point is, in terms of model year/era.

My take? This appears to be a fantastic 911. The 991.2 Carrera 7MT was the first 911 to get me off the fence to order a new 911. Carrera 7MT + PCCB is that much more appealing, and this is a gorgeous color combo. Someone who doesn't mind a little paintwork, and even sees it as a permission slip to enjoy the car without worrying about keeping it 100% factory paint, is going to get a great car.
Yes and furthermore Porsche guys are the worse at this. "Omg the prior owner took his gt3 to the track a few times it's ruined now. I want a car that sat in a garage and never ran so I can look at it sipping on my Starbucks latte".....
T3X4S (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Yes and furthermore Porsche guys are the worse at this. "Omg the prior owner took his gt3 to the track a few times it's ruined now…
Amen to that.
  • No (or very few) over-revs > owner seems like the type to get the oil warm before getting on it and/or owner takes me for a test drive and seems like someone who uses the car but doesn't abuse it > who do I make the check out to?
  • Car that has had some paintwork > how bad was it? > was it fixed well? > phew, now I can use the car without worrying about that "milestone"?
  • Car that has been sitting to let all seals dry out > how much to fix all that & how much of a premium am I paying for something I am about to erase?

YMMV…
Old 08-22-2021, 01:57 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I know the market is hot, but I expect it would cost me more in the future to replace what I have, so I’m driving and enjoying every shift.it would take something crazy to get me to sell/trade.
The following 3 users liked this post by digitalwiz:
964-50 (08-24-2021), b2nvs2001 (08-31-2021), Bob in NY (08-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:33 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I don't understand the concern about the damage. It was all cosmetic--and relatively minor--and has been beautifully repaired. One cannot tell anything happened to it.

God bless,
TT
The amount of concern will vary with the amount/quality of documentation. The reality is fresh paint may be better than older/chipped panels but they're not equal. Panels installed by a shop is done differently than mfg methods in a more automated factory, and painted panels could possibly be discerned after several years ('could' means maybe/maybe not). The cosmetic damage may be a non-issue down the road but IMO it's a question mark in many people's eyes, and as an unknown it has a negotiated value associated with it. In your case, you have the best position as your company owned the repairs. I believe the concern for many is once it get's resold down the line, people don't have 1st hand account of what was done and it's simply a comment on a car fax for buyers to interpret.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:57 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Yes and furthermore Porsche guys are the worse at this. "Omg the prior owner took his gt3 to the track a few times it's ruined now. I want a car that sat in a garage and never ran so I can look at it sipping on my Starbucks latte".....
Trade it in.....no questions will be asked. Dealer will detail it, touch it up, CPO it and sell it to the same guy for a big premium because it was a "low mileage unit" lol
you know this happens like ALL THE TIME
T3X4S (08-24-2021)

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now