Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 07:32 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by kush70
Your response makes me believe it's not my delicate feelings that have been hurt. Have I touched a nerve?

I'm pretty sure the entire concept of a discussion forum is random individual's opinions. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. Fiscal policy is debatable, it's not something that one can define as clearly and objectively wrong...like people believing the Covid vaccine alters your DNA, or that some edgelord sysadmin on a board mostly dedicated to conspiracy theories, **** and white supremacy was a government insider, or that the earth is flat. I'm not sure you've seen the movie Idiocracy, but the irony seems to escape you in how you're using the term - again, the effects of stimulus checks is something that can be debated intelligently, it's not a sign we're living in idiocracy. The actual evidence for that are all the things I've listed above. Anti-vaxxers. QAnon. Flat earth believers. People that lack critical thinking skills believe these things.

Lastly, just want to point out the delicious irony in your statements :
"Trying to change someone's opinion and degrading them for their beliefs is a loser's existence..."
followed by
"Stay relevant, these economic issues effect everyone and printing money is stupid and the effects are long-lasting..."
LOL.
He was talking about monetary policy not fiscal but you are spot on in general.
The following users liked this post:
bkd64 (08-22-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

boys, boys no soup for you
SConn (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:48 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
boys, boys no soup for you
Certainly more interesting than drive-by nonsense, Jr.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:08 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Hi folks! Jumping in here a bit off-topic for current discussion but certainly on-topic for the thread. . .

I bought a 997.1 C4S Cab a year ago and have been amazed to watch the car I got in the low $40k range (it did need new tires and had about $6k of deferred maintenance) climb into the $55k to $65k range depending on the day and the mood of the folks on BaT.

My question is regarding the 991 Targa 4S market. There is only one 991/992 I would consider trading my 997.1 for and it is the Targa. I have loved that look since the early ones but would never buy one of the early ones because I want to drive the thing and can’t deal with the lack of safety and modern convenience features. The 991 Targa really captures the spirit of the original design and looks amazing to my eye.

So those of you who watch the 991 Market, what do you think are the longer term trends for the 991 Targas? I live in the mountains and need an AWD (I think all of the are AWD) but would like a 4S model if I went to the trouble of looking for and buying one. What are the big drivers? 7MT vs. PDK? Other main drivers of price beyond the model and the transmission? Really appreciate your thoughts!
Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
So those of you who watch the 991 Market, what do you think are the longer term trends for the 991 Targas? I live in the mountains and need an AWD (I think all of the are AWD) but would like a 4S model if I went to the trouble of looking for and buying one. What are the big drivers? 7MT vs. PDK? Other main drivers of price beyond the model and the transmission? Really appreciate your thoughts!
I haven’t watched the market since I acquired my .2 Targa a couple of months ago, but beyond model and transmission, mileage was a significant driver of price. You are correct that all 991 Targas are AWD, and as for longer term trends I (nor likely anybody else) can say with any certainty - but I personally don’t care as I wouldn’t sell mine for $15k more than I paid for it and hope to still have it 20 years from now.
8KaboveMSL (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:57 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
I haven’t watched the market since I acquired my .2 Targa a couple of months ago, but beyond model and transmission, mileage was a significant driver of price. You are correct that all 991 Targas are AWD, and as for longer term trends I (nor likely anybody else) can say with any certainty - but I personally don’t care as I wouldn’t sell mine for $15k more than I paid for it and hope to still have it 20 years from now.
Thanks. I was browsing current for sale listings and there some confusing data points where cars w/ lower mileage are going for same as others w/ a lot more miles (10k vs. 25k). There are factors, CPO is one, but its a really thin market from an offering perspective, hence my question.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:07 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

I follow a lot of specialty Porsche dealers on IG and one of them was advertising a 2013 base C4 cab with minimal options for $85k. Market is still crazy. For other makes, it seems to be slightly returning back to normal.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:48 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
Thanks. I was browsing current for sale listings and there some confusing data points where cars w/ lower mileage are going for same as others w/ a lot more miles (10k vs. 25k). There are factors, CPO is one, but its a really thin market from an offering perspective, hence my question.
Options, Carfax and number of owners are also part of the equation. I was looking for a unicorn and after searching for at least an hour a day nationwide for eight months found it at a used Jeep dealer five miles from my house. Good luck in your search - if you are very particular about options it becomes a part time job!
Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Options, Carfax and number of owners are also part of the equation. I was looking for a unicorn and after searching for at least an hour a day nationwide for eight months found it at a used Jeep dealer five miles from my house. Good luck in your search - if you are very particular about options it becomes a part time job!
Not actively searching but planning ahead a few years. . . I really like my 997 and plan to drive it for a while. Plus I’ve seen things like a 2015 Targa 4S selling for close to the original MSRP, so I will be on the sidelines until this all shakes out. Seems like the price craziness is happening across the Pcar board and not just in the older “classic” generations. . . Interesting to watch. . .
Old 07-27-2021, 11:17 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

I was looking for a unicorn and after searching for at least an hour a day nationwide for eight months found it at a used Jeep dealer five miles from my house. Good luck in your search - if you are very particular about options it becomes a part time job!
Ha! I found both of my Porsche's from different used Jeep dealers as well. They were also sitting on the lot for months (pre-pandemic) so I was able to snag a good dealer. Most people walking into a Jeep dealer aren't cross shopping Porsche's.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:11 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Bonkers

I have noticed a couple of exact specd C4 lately in my area at Porsche dealerships…based on their listing price, my 2019 that is now technically 3 yrs old probably sells on their lot for MSRP. Nuts. 3 yr old car now back at MSRP…quite the market.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Asks. Not sells.
daveyator (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:29 AM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

This will all get back to normal when the new cars become more available. Wait it out, these cars are not that valuable! There are thousands of 991s for sale at any time. These are the flippers now!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Asks. Not sells.
Nope, I have seen sells as well.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Nope, I have seen sells as well.
And I’ve been watching about a dozen of these overpriced .1s for weeks and NONE of them have sold.

Please post a link to some six year old .1’s with 14k miles that have sold for over original sticker.
BGLeduc (07-31-2021)

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now