Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

My thought is that this is designed to make the partners of that law firm rich, while providing their associates who are doing the work a lot of billable hours during a pandemic.

I think that even if you don't sign on in advance, you'll be part of the population they're representing, and are entitled to the same compensation as those who signed on. So you might be represented without signing your soul over to the devil.

Edit: I googled it, and this came up:

In most cases, you are not required to opt in. Rather, you will be notified of the class action lawsuit via mail or email, and you will automatically be part of the class. Except in rare cases, no further action is required on your end.

And I do get most of my legal advice from the internet. May not be great, but it's cheaper.

Last edited by Porschejam; 12-15-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I'll spare you a copy of the full Agreement so here is an excerpt that everyone should be paying attention to:

"4. Contingency Fee to Law Firm:
(a) Pursuant to this retainer, Law Firm agrees to represent you and other class members in this litigation on a fully contingent basis. Client has been advised of and afforded the opportunity to retain the Firm on a non-contingent hourly basis at the Law Firm's current normal hourly billing rates, ranging from $400.00 to $975.00 per hour for attorneys and $215.00 to $325.00 per hour for legal assistants and support staff, but has elected to retain Law Firm under a contingency fee arrangement. Law Firm will advance all costs and expenses that it deems necessary to prosecute the case. If the lawsuit generates a fund for the class, Law Firm will seek its fees as well as its costs and expenses exclusively by application to the Court.
Historically, courts have awarded as much as 25% to 40% of the total amount recovered for the class as appropriate legal fees plus reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the attorneys. On behalf of the class and as a class representative, Client agrees that a fee of 33-1/3% of the recovery, plus reimbursement of expenses, is appropriate..."

So I'll attempt my most cynical summary. Agreeing to a 33.3% recovery fee + oh-so-generously worded "other expenses" can essentially result in a huge payday for the lawyers while we get a chewing gum.

I'm not an ambulance chaser and care that Porsche does right by affected owners!

For those familiar with class action lawsuits:
1. Would the same relief apply to other affected parties that are not part of the class action?
2. Do the T&C's preclude owners from seeking additional relief, or Porsche from providing additional relief, to all affected parties?

Are others signing onto this? I have a hard time signing the papers without knowing whether the outcome would benefit our community or just make a bunch of lawyers rich.
I love my car and want to enjoy it without worrying about diminished value because Porsche allegedly cheated nor do I want to make a bunch of lawyers rich.

Thoughts?
This is not legal advice -- but if class action litigation is approved, it is my understanding that the firm has to identify the class, send notice, etc. As i understand it, the named litigant(s) make the decisions and they bind everyone in the class. The class does not include people that opt out -- but the settlement of the class is just that -- a settlement to resolve the dispute. A settlement could require Porsche to fix the part, provide a voucher for a part, money, etc... almost anything the litigants agree upon and the court approves.

I was once part of a class for a test prep company - the settlement resulted in the lawyers getting money and the class getting a $250 voucher for a future test prep course. Essentially a coupon that was worthless for everyone who had already taken the test and obtained a professional license by that time.

The original purpose of "class action" litigation was to permit parties to pursue claims as a group that would not be financially feasible to pursue alone.

Last edited by Colvin84; 12-15-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

... without knowing whether the outcome would benefit our community or just make a bunch of lawyers rich.
I cannot imagine any positive benefit to anyone in our community beyond, at most, a small-ish check and, perhaps, a fleeting feeling of righteousness. On the other hand the downside to the community if this lawsuit doesn’t vanish cannot be estimated until the fat lawsuit-lawyer-lady sings. This last is especially true in CA and worrisome in other CARB states if this goes “VW” where a potential outcome is electronic castration if you want to continue driving your 991. If indeed Porsche swapped transaxles for testing, then I have no faith that CA won’t go full insane and drag along the other lemming CARB states. And since all Porsche owners are one-percenters and as rich as Elon (you don’t think 90% of people think that?) no one else will GAF and many will relish their schadenfreude.

Last edited by worf928; 12-15-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:48 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Colvin84

The original purpose of "class action" litigation was to permit parties to pursue claims as a group that would not be financially feasible to pursue alone.
If there's a will, there's a lawyer...
Old 12-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
If there's a will, there's a lawyer...
Not all lawyers are bad
Old 12-15-2020, 03:28 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Colvin84
Not all lawyers are bad
Quite true, everyone craps on lawyers until you need one...
Old 12-15-2020, 03:35 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I have yet to hear/read that government agencies are involved. Without them, there is no enforcement of whatever neutering relief the plaintiffs want. Dieselgate was successful bc it was pursued by government agencies, both CA and federal.

I'll wait till I get the opt out notice. As I said before, if enough owners opt out, there is no class action
Old 12-15-2020, 03:37 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

The fact is, if the lawyers sign you up, that's a win for them. Another step towards a settlement.

May not do anything for you, but they'll get billable hours and a big percentage of the payout.

A big success for them would be if Porsche had to neuter your car, and they get paid.

Win-win, you see.

Last edited by Porschejam; 12-15-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:40 PM
BJP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle I was looking at got pulled due to this Stop Sale. The dealer said he could still sell me the car, but he couldn't deliver it until the Stop Sale gets lifted.
Now I have to decide if I want to pay on a car for the next 6 months that I can't drive! What to do... what to do...
Old 12-15-2020, 06:05 PM
RPA911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BJP
The vehicle I was looking at got pulled due to this Stop Sale. The dealer said he could still sell me the car, but he couldn't deliver it until the Stop Sale gets lifted.
Now I have to decide if I want to pay on a car for the next 6 months that I can't drive! What to do... what to do...
Wait six months and potentially have it "fixed". No thanks.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:58 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by RPA911
Wait six months and potentially have it "fixed". No thanks.
and no settlement money from Porsche since you knew about the issue ahead of time? Nope.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschejam
The fact is, if the lawyers sign you up, that's a win for them. Another step towards a settlement.

May not do anything for you, but they'll get billable hours and a big percentage of the payout.

A big success for them would be if Porsche had to neuter your car, and they get paid.

Win-win, you see.
This right here. Remember when the big banks failed? Lawyers made millions and those represented were left with no retirement nest.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:02 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by BJP
Buy a used 2017 and drive it off the lot.
The following users liked this post:
BJP (12-17-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Buy a used 2017 and drive it off the lot.
Or, buy from a private party or a non-Porsche dealer -- or from one of those Porsche dealers that claims not to have heard about the stop sale order. Plenty of options.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:27 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

For the record I will not allow my car to be neutered. Let it live out its glorious NA days
Nor should you, the .1 models are slow enough already...

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?