Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 37 Posts

Running DSC through bootcamp on an MacBook Air... Getting an error code that says "no port could be found. please check hardware to make sure it is connected or enabled." Do I need to install special driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-19-2020, 07:39 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Forged rims are much stronger than cast rims, not more “flexible”.
Forged is pound per pound stronger than cast. If rim thicknesses are the same then absolutely the forged wheel is stronger. At different thicknesses it would take an actually stress test to see which rim bends first. I’ve had several forged wheels bend from normal driving. Never have I bent a cast wheel. Just lucky I guess.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:25 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

egrossman,
I've never tried Boot camp, i run windows in VirtualBox. One thing to check is that IOS is not taking the USB connection as it's own. You might have to release the USB from IOS to the have it recognized by windows. In VirtualBox I can build a list of connection/resources that it should disconnect from IOS and connect to itself.
Sorry I can't help more
The following users liked this post:
egrossman (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 01:50 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

This is probably going to my first mod on my T. If for nothing else but smoothing out bumps on 90 in Chicago?

Does adding the DSC improve cornering speed? What about 0-60, wondering if the controller can adapt suspension to improve traction?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by G99x.y
This is probably going to my first mod on my T. If for nothing else but smoothing out bumps on 90 in Chicago?

Does adding the DSC improve cornering speed? What about 0-60, wondering if the controller can adapt suspension to improve traction?

thanks in advance.
From my GT4 experience, the controller makes everything better. Really controls squat and dive, much better L/R transitions, and far better handling of high frequency bumps. Just far more composed overall. For my 991 I ordered it with the GT3 Touring file loaded so I’m expecting a bit more aggressive than the normal 991 file, so it’s probably closer to my 981 GT4 with DSC. Acceleration should improve as long as traction remains equal. My traction is great so I’ll know Wednesday if all my expectations are fulfilled.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
The rims together are 20lbs+ lighter, so 6 lbs+ lighter per rear rim and 4 lbs+ lighter per front rim. That is not insignificant. Forged rims are much stronger than cast rims, not more “flexible”. In a golf analogy, forged golf clubs feel much better than cast clubs, as they do not transfer harsh vibrations into your hands. Anyway, still questioning why people would state that a lighter, stronger rim would not allow the suspension to be more efficient/responsive at adjusting damping of bumps, especially if the DSC Sport is purportedly measuring and adjusting damping in real time.
Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Forged is pound per pound stronger than cast. If rim thicknesses are the same then absolutely the forged wheel is stronger. At different thicknesses it would take an actually stress test to see which rim bends first. I’ve had several forged wheels bend from normal driving. Never have I bent a cast wheel. Just lucky I guess.
^^ the combined tire and wheel weight makes a 4 and 6 lb difference much less of an overall affect (under 10%). Exactly where the weight differs matters too. It certainly isn’t at the outer diameter as the same tires account for that. Could be the cast rim is stiffer than the aftermarket’s rim, which is probably thinner as it’s rolled. Surely not the case here but I’ve yet to hear a person who bought marginally lighter wheels not believe they can feel the difference. I’m betting the aftermarket rim has some comparative flex to it.
^ I too have experienced flexing with aftermarket forged aluminum wheels. The most noticeable experience I have encountered is when the brake caliper is ~3mm away from the spokes and I can feel and hear the contact during lateral load on street with street tires. So, yes, forged aluminium wheels can flex. The probability become greater with larger diameter wheel, thinner spokes, and few spokes. I am not saying forged aluminum wheels are bad, I own two sets that I use on track with Pirelli slicks. On my personal car, somehow it just seems wrong without forged alum wheels, LOL.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 09-21-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by G99x.y

thanks in advance.
Yes, DSC V3 controller in Normal mode commands the dampers to be softer to make the ride nicer over bumps.
Yes, DSC V3 controller in Sport mode(we recommend the DSC GT3 Tour calibration file) improves grip, thus, the driver can use the improved grip to increase cornering speed.
DSC V3 includes Launch Control to optimize traction for standing starts, see video-
Old 09-24-2020, 02:37 PM
ChugsTurbo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!

I just got a DSC V3 controller from you guys (via AIM performance NJ)

I have a 2014 991.1 turbo
It is on 21” HRE wheels
It is also on H&R Lowering springs
The car makes about 700 wheel HP (stage 4 car)
I primarily use the car for spirited street/highway, a lot of commuting on broken and disrupted pavement, occasional drag racing / roll racing

I am told the unit is plug and play, but I wanted to make sure the stock calibration files don’t need any tweaking based on my setup - specifically my car being lowered on H&R springs (stock dampers)

My car is also equipped with PDCC

Thank
You in advance !!

does the V3 require zero’ing of the ride height sensors if lowered or that is no
longer necessary?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChugsTurbo
Hello!

I just got a DSC V3 controller from you guys (via AIM performance NJ)

I have a 2014 991.1 turbo
It is on 21” HRE wheels
It is also on H&R Lowering springs
The car makes about 700 wheel HP (stage 4 car)
I primarily use the car for spirited street/highway, a lot of commuting on broken and disrupted pavement, occasional drag racing / roll racing

I am told the unit is plug and play, but I wanted to make sure the stock calibration files don’t need any tweaking based on my setup - specifically my car being lowered on H&R springs (stock dampers)

My car is also equipped with PDCC

Thank
You in advance !!

does the V3 require zero’ing of the ride height sensors if lowered or that is no
longer necessary?
A new DSC V3 comes already programmed for the car that's ordered for. It is plug & play.
No need to zero the ride height sensors on a V3. Unless the ride height is so low that the car actually get fault codes on the dash for "headlight leveling". In such rare case its not the DSC that needs the zero'ing, its the headlight control module that need to see a "new zero" value from the car being lowered so much.
The DSC V3 suspension travel velocity tuning functions based on the previous suspension movement, so where zero is doesn't matter. Its the transitioning from one direction to another, and changing travel velocity that does matter.

Sorry, there's no way to ensure that you don’t need any tweaking especially since your car is modded up. For reference, 98% of DSC users like the standard DSC calibration as is. Ride quality at lower speeds is subjective to each driver, we spent a ton of time tuning the lower speed/lower load to what we feel most drivers would want but there are always drivers that have different personal preference...
You could try the DSC "GT3 Tour" calibration; Normal mode is as soft as we want to make it, Sport mode is very amped up(even for GT2RS).

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 09-24-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
You could try the DSC "GT3 Tour" calibration; Normal mode is as soft as we want to make it, Sport mode is very amped up(even for GT2RS).
just to be clear, when you say normal mode you are referring to PDCC normal, correct? Sport mode to affect suspension is only performed by depressing PDCC, right? You aren’t referring to the engine sport mode. True? I use the engine sport mode quite a bit (rarely use sport plus). In engine sport mode the DSC controller is in normal mode unless I engage PDCC. Am I correct?
Old 09-24-2020, 08:55 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

just to be clear, when you say normal mode you are referring to PDCC normal, correct? Sport mode to affect suspension is only performed by depressing PDCC, right? You aren’t referring to the engine sport mode. True? I use the engine sport mode quite a bit (rarely use sport plus). In engine sport mode the DSC controller is in normal mode unless I engage PDCC. Am I correct?
Ahh, the much misunderstood "PDCC Button" which in fact is not a PDCC button... It switches the entire suspension, dynamic engine mounts, PDCC, etc. in and out of sport mode.

PDCC is always on. The button confusingly says PDCC to identify cars that are so equipped (in some years), but it is not a PDCC on/off button.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-24-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
Ahh, the much misunderstood "PDCC Button" which in fact is not a PDCC button... It switches the entire suspension, dynamic engine mounts, PDCC, etc. in and out of sport mode.

PDCC is always on. The button confusingly says PDCC to identify cars that are so equipped (in some years), but it is not a PDCC on/off button.
I fully get that part. What I want to know is the suspension in normal mode when I’m using sport or sport plus.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

The suspension (with a DSC controller), is not tied to drive mode. It remains in the last selected mode (normal or sport) regardless of 0, sport, sport+, I drive modes.

Last edited by Ceepe; 09-24-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:38 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ceepe
The suspension (with a DSC controller), is not tied to drive mode. It remains in the last selected mode (normal or sport) regardless of 0, sport, sport+, I drive modes.
Danke
Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

From my GT4 experience, the controller makes everything better. Really controls squat and dive, much better L/R transitions, and far better handling of high frequency bumps. Just far more composed overall. For my 991 I ordered it with the GT3 Touring file loaded so I’m expecting a bit more aggressive than the normal 991 file, so it’s probably closer to my 981 GT4 with DSC. Acceleration should improve as long as traction remains equal. My traction is great so I’ll know Wednesday if all my expectations are fulfilled.
So I think the a sport controller makes less of a difference as it does for the GT4, but I expected as much. It is immediately noticeable on the 991. Definitely feels more planted and doesn’t bounce over patched pavement which there seems to be a lot of around here. No squat either accelerating. Worth every penny.
Tom@TPC Racing (09-28-2020)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module