Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 08:38 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by phi399
Just got mine and had to put back in the factory unit. I was pulling into my son's school and went over a speed bump extremely slow. It sounded like the suspension bottomed out. Checked for codes and had a Check PASM control unit fault memory content error. C1 208A. Checked all the connections and cleared the code and it happened again. I sent the code and logs to them last Friday but no response. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Really want to get it back in.
For some reason we didn't receive your email from last week. Please resend and we will handle the matter accordingly. If you are using Durametric or similar diagnostic software it won't read the DSC controller because these diagnostic software are for reading the factory PASM controller. The "ghost" code that you saw means that the factory PASM controller is offline during the diagnostic scan which is normal because the factory device that the diagnostic software is trying to read is not present. For example, the same type of ghost code will occur during a diagnostic scan if the factory PCM has been replaced by an aftermarket sound system. These type of codes are referred to as ghost codes during a software read because they aren't the critical codes indicated by the instrument cluster during driving. DSC is a more advanced controller that uses a different computer language, thus DSC has its own software for diagnostic and for custom tuning.

We have not experienced this noise on any of our 991 test vehicles and we have no reports of this from customers.

Which model 991 is your car? Is the car lowered? Have you had any mechanical suspension work done? Have you tried both Normal and Sport mode over the same speed bump? Does the same noise occur anywhere else or just that one speed bump?
Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ceepe
? There are no codes triggered by a DSC controller. Should not happen.
Correct, DSC shouldn't trigger "critical function" codes on the dash. The code he's talking about is using OEM diagnostic software to attempt to read a non-OEM device. This "ghost" code doesn't appear on the dash, it only appears on a laptop monitor screen during a diagnostic scan because the OEM device that the OEM diagnostic software is trying to read is not there.
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
AdamSanta85 (09-12-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:51 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

I see. My apologies for chiming in on something I didn't understand. Thank you for explaining.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:57 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ceepe
I see. My apologies for chiming in on something I didn't understand. Thank you for explaining.
No worries at all. Its good to explain so that readers of this thread are informed.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:01 AM
phi399
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No worries. Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense. Just saw the code and it freaked me out due to the noise.
Just wanted to see if it was normal etc because I really want to get it back in the car. It is night and day compared to the factor controller.

2017 C2S. It was in Normal mode. No suspension work. Only other mod is an APR tune. I will reinstall today and see if it happens again.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:21 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phi399
No worries. Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense. Just saw the code and it freaked me out due to the noise.
Just wanted to see if it was normal etc because I really want to get it back in the car. It is night and day compared to the factor controller.

2017 C2S. It was in Normal mode. No suspension work. Only other mod is an APR tune. I will reinstall today and see if it happens again.
Thank you for the info. Please try Sport mode which has 20% as the minimum damping command. This increased damping command over Normal mode may overcome that speed bump. The minimum damping command in Normal mode is 3% to 5% depending on if your DSC controller has our standard calibration or GT3 Tour calibration. Also, during the slow approach to that speed bump, the DSC Velocity function may be subtracting the damping command to further reduce the 3% or 5% command to zero via low-speed compression. If that is what's happening over that speed bump than drive over it faster to build up some g-force so that DSC will add damping command...just kidding! Don't speed in school zone! We can raise the minimum command by a few percent to over come this. Email me directly after you try Sport mode. tchan@dscsport.com
Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 09-12-2020, 10:08 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Tom,
I've experienced something strange the other day, hitting the rev limiter and the PDK not shifting on a launch control. This happened right after I installed the DSC V3 unit in my 2019 C4S. See post #207.
Your expertise would be appreciated.
Danny
Old 09-12-2020, 10:43 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dannyss
Tom,
I've experienced something strange the other day, hitting the rev limiter and the PDK not shifting on a launch control. This happened right after I installed the DSC V3 unit in my 2019 C4S. See post #207.
Your expertise would be appreciated.
Danny
I have not experienced this myself. Will look into it.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:36 PM
dannyss
Racer

Thank you Tom.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

[edited, as i've been studying the DSC tutorials and maps a bit more]

Tom or others,

A couple of DSC questions from a calibration file newbie...

On the Normal default 991 Turbo map, you significantly soften the front outside shock during turns,
eg: neutral throttle 1g R, 20% LF, 80% RF

On the Sport default 991 Turbo map, you keep LF and RF identical during turns,
eg: neutral throttle 1g R, 80% LF, 80% RF

Can you discuss this at all? I'm guessing the outside softening in Normal is for comfort, but is there no advantage in adjusting inside vs outside front shocks in higher g turns, perhaps softening the inside?
I'm trying to fully understand the G Comfort parameters, but I'm not sure how they interact with the GForce map.

For example, if the G Rate Max is set to 25 (.25G) and Default Rate set to 20, does this just over-ride whatever settings are in the center 9 squares within the main G-Force Table (the "Box" or "G-Patch")?
Launch control tuning. Looks like this creates a secondary Velocity table that I assume is used when launch mode control is active. In my default tune file (991TurboS_V3_LNC_GRS_02.12.2020.pdts), all the velocity adjustments are blank for both regular and LNC adjustments. I realize this is likely an advanced feature, but do you have any initial calibrations to try for the LNC Velocity adjustments?
The help file says that the OEM dampers are 1500mA full soft, 500mA full stiff, but in the default Shock Calibration file, you 'calibrate' the fronts from 1400-200 (sport) 1500-200 (normal) and the rears 1550 - 500. I assume anything under 500 is already full stiff, and anything over 1500 is already full soft. Are you doing this just as an easy way to build the gradient so, for example, in sport mode, the fronts are full stiff at 75%?

Last edited by pfbz; 09-13-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
[edited, as i've been studying the DSC tutorials and maps a bit more]

Tom or others,

A couple of DSC questions from a calibration file newbie...

On the Normal default 991 Turbo map, you significantly soften the front outside shock during turns,
eg: neutral throttle 1g R, 20% LF, 80% RF

On the Sport default 991 Turbo map, you keep LF and RF identical during turns,
eg: neutral throttle 1g R, 80% LF, 80% RF

Can you discuss this at all? I'm guessing the outside softening in Normal is for comfort, but is there no advantage in adjusting inside vs outside front shocks in higher g turns, perhaps softening the inside?
I'm trying to fully understand the G Comfort parameters, but I'm not sure how they interact with the GForce map.

For example, if the G Rate Max is set to 25 (.25G) and Default Rate set to 20, does this just over-ride whatever settings are in the center 9 squares within the main G-Force Table (the "Box" or "G-Patch")?
Launch control tuning. Looks like this creates a secondary Velocity table that I assume is used when launch mode control is active. In my default tune file (991TurboS_V3_LNC_GRS_02.12.2020.pdts), all the velocity adjustments are blank for both regular and LNC adjustments. I realize this is likely an advanced feature, but do you have any initial calibrations to try for the LNC Velocity adjustments?
The help file says that the OEM dampers are 1500mA full soft, 500mA full stiff, but in the default Shock Calibration file, you 'calibrate' the fronts from 1400-200 (sport) 1500-200 (normal) and the rears 1550 - 500. I assume anything under 500 is already full stiff, and anything over 1500 is already full soft. Are you doing this just as an easy way to build the gradient so, for example, in sport mode, the fronts are full stiff at 75%?
Good questions. I hope the answers below are satisfactory.

1. The Left side of the GForce table indicates the commands for making Right side turns. Please refer to example image below.
The DSC Normal mode is generally used for comfort, for bumpy tracks, and for low grip conditions. Having the inside front wheel commands softer is better for these conditions.
Your idea of softening the inside is correct. The layout is just showing the opposite side to what you think.

2. The main GForce table doesn't take effect until the G Rate Max is met. Until the G Rate Max is met the damping force command is the Default Rate value since the main GForce table isn't in effect.
For example, if you don't want the G Comfort Parameter function, you can turn off this function bu entering the zero as the G Rate Max value.

3. The sub-sections in the Velocity table labelled LNC should be at zero for this car using OEM dampers. The OEM 991 dampers don't react fast enough for this function during a launch. We originally created this sub-section in Velocity table for the Dodge Demon/Hellcat since they are drag racing oriented vehicles that are factory equipped with specialized drag racing dampers. We then started using this function on our TPC Racing/DSC Sport Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge GT2RSX 991 Turbo S equipped with DSC Sport Tractive coilovers for standing start courses since our Tractive dampers do react fast enough to the compression travel.

4. The max and min are at ~500mA and ~1500mA. On some applications we go beyond these values to change the shape(ramp angle) of the command curve which we have found to be beneficial for certain vehicles.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 09-14-2020, 11:59 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm curious to hear of people's experience with this + BILSTEIN B16s which I just installed. Are there specific files used with these shocks ?
LargePuppy (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:42 PM
dannyss
Racer

Tom,
Your answer to Pfbz clarifies a few things, really appreciate it,
But brings a new question on my part; The 991-981 w/LNC standard file defines the Comfort G rate Max at 30 (.3 g) and the Sport Map specifies 25 (.25 g). So, the Sport G Force table will always come into play before the Comfort G Force Table, right?
What happens if the Comfort table G rate Max is set to .29g and the sport is set at .3g? or even Comfort at .19g and Sport at .20g?
Thanks

Danny

Last edited by dannyss; 09-14-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
I'm curious to hear of people's experience with this + BILSTEIN B16s which I just installed. Are there specific files used with these shocks ?
B16 has stiffer springs then OEM so the static roll resistance is increased. And often B16 is set at lower ride height than OEM. With these factors in consideration the DSC Sport "GT3 Tour" calibration file works great with for B16. Nice ride in Normal mode over bumps. Excellent performance in Sport mode.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dannyss
Tom,
Your answer to Pfbz clarifies a few things, really appreciate it,
But brings a new question on my part; The 991-981 w/LNC standard file defines the Comfort G rate Max at 30 (.3 g) and the Sport Map specifies 25 (.25 g). So, the Sport G Force table will always come into play before the Comfort G Force Table, right?
What happens if the Comfort table G rate Max is set to .29g and the sport is set at .3g? or even Comfort at .19g and Sport at .20g?
Thanks

Danny
Generally we set the G Rate Max to be a lower value in Sport mode so that main GForce table kicks in sooner. Whereas in Normal mode the G "Comfort" Parameter holds the "comfort zone" for more prominently for comfort.
The difference of 0.01g won't be noticeable. You'd need to have a difference of 0.05g to be slightly noticeable. Which is why the number value for G Rate Max is expressed as a whole number and we use a whole number of 5 (which represents 0.05g in actual g force).

You can make the G Rate Max the same value in both Normal and Sport mode if that's what you want.

Just for fun, here's a youtube video I made using my 997 GT3 with Motec dash installed to show the actual g-force driving over bumps at ~40mph. The middle number in the bottom row is the vertical g-force from the bumps. Hope this gives an idea of tuning the G Rate Max value to threshold of the bumps.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module