Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
A quick update. The new map is sensational on the track and the street.

The car is no longer loose. It does everything better.

Just a quick question. The GT3-RS is 100/160.
We are 100/150. Tom, did you choose 150 over 160 because we don’t have a massive rear wing? Or do you feel 150 is better balanced with 100?

I ask as i may do a big wing in the future and its no problem to swap out the rear springs for 160 then.

Just curious if you feel 100/150 is better.

I love it. It makes we want to drive the car more.
Very glad to know you love your new DSC V3 controller!

The difference between 150 and 160 rear spring on a 3000+ lb car is insignificant. If you find that the extra horsepower and torque that has been added on your car puts too much load on the rear suspension(too much squat and lacking rear grip) then I'd up the rear to 170. If not, then keep the 150 rear spring. 100/150 has been a stellar and very versatile spring combo on this platform. Going north of this spring rate will tip the scale to favor track performance with very sticky tires. Please remember that DSC can stiffen the damping force with softer springs, but once stiffer springs are installed, the spring stiffness this there to stay.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:24 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

hi

so i received my DSC Sport in July (991.2 C4 GTS) and was not able to install until tonight as I was waiting for Porsche service to replace my faulty OEM suspension module. it's been a two year battle as the suspension fault only came at the track and service couldn't replicate it on their own. i finally was able to prove to Porsche via GoPro video of my OEM module faulting at a heavy corner, and they finally agreed to replace the module. with my car finally repaired, i went back the track two weeks ago and posted my best lap time to date.

I'm now planning my next track day in a few days. I drove the car around the neighborhood around some fast bends with the DSC installed, and with only *** data, something feels better. tighter. the car is definitely smoother over bumps but once you dig down into corners, the way the rear stiffens and holds the line is pretty amazing.

my question is: now that the drive mode dial on the steering wheel is decoupled from the suspension mode, whether i ride sport or sport +, it's the same DSC Sport sport suspension setup if i have sport suspension activated via suspension button right? or is sport + different from sport in terms of DSC programming?

thank you

c
Old 11-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usccharles
hi

so i received my DSC Sport in July (991.2 C4 GTS) and was not able to install until tonight as I was waiting for Porsche service to replace my faulty OEM suspension module. it's been a two year battle as the suspension fault only came at the track and service couldn't replicate it on their own. i finally was able to prove to Porsche via GoPro video of my OEM module faulting at a heavy corner, and they finally agreed to replace the module. with my car finally repaired, i went back the track two weeks ago and posted my best lap time to date.

I'm now planning my next track day in a few days. I drove the car around the neighborhood around some fast bends with the DSC installed, and with only *** data, something feels better. tighter. the car is definitely smoother over bumps but once you dig down into corners, the way the rear stiffens and holds the line is pretty amazing.

my question is: now that the drive mode dial on the steering wheel is decoupled from the suspension mode, whether i ride sport or sport +, it's the same DSC Sport sport suspension setup if i have sport suspension activated via suspension button right? or is sport + different from sport in terms of DSC programming?

thank you

c
Thank you for your feedback. Glad that you are experiencing the drive with your DSC Sport controller installed.

Regarding the mode switching-
There are only two modes for the Suspension, the two Suspension modes are Normal mode and Sport mode.
The Drivetrain(engine/transmission) has three modes, the three Drivetrain modes are Normal, Sport, and Sport PLUS.
With the stock controller installed, when Drivetrain Sport PLUS mode is selected it bundle selects Suspension Sport mode by default.
With the DSC Sport controller installed, the Suspension mode selection becomes independent from the Drivetrain mode(no more bundle selection).
The only way to switch Suspension modes with DSC installed is by using the button on the center console that has the suspension damper symbol. And DSC remembers the suspension mode that was Last Used; if you selected Sport for the last use of your car, it remains in Sport the next time you start the car.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 11-12-2020 at 11:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
GT3FZS (11-13-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024), YetiRojo (05-25-2021)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:17 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Thank you for your feedback. Glad that you are experiencing the drive with your DSC Sport controller installed.

Regarding the mode switching-
There are only two modes for the Suspension, the two Suspension modes are Normal mode and Sport mode.
The Drivetrain(engine/transmission) has three modes, the three Drivetrain modes are Normal, Sport, and Sport PLUS.
With the stock controller installed, when Drivetrain Sport PLUS mode is selected it bundle selects Suspension Sport mode by default.
With the DSC Sport controller installed, the Suspension mode selection becomes independent from the Drivetrain mode(no more bundle selection).
The only way to switch Suspension modes with DSC installed is by using the button on the center console that has the suspension damper symbol. And DSC remembers the suspension mode that was Last Used; if you selected Sport for the last use of your car, it remains in Sport the next time you start the car.
thank you for the swift feedback. i'm looking forward to my next track day in a few days. will update! i drove about an hour tonight with DSC installed and its quite amazing how sport + feels with DSC sport initiated. very smooth yet very tight. looking forward to tracking it! good job sirs with this thing!
The following 2 users liked this post by usccharles:
GT3FZS (11-13-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 02:22 PM
jskenefick
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The DSC V3 sounds like a great upgrade. Put on one my cart and saw a spot to enter coupon code. Anyone aware of any current offers?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:53 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jskenefick
The DSC V3 sounds like a great upgrade. Put on one my cart and saw a spot to enter coupon code. Anyone aware of any current offers?
I highly doubt they will be having a black friday sale, but let me ask DSC. I'll report back when I hear back.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 11-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

thank you for the swift feedback. i'm looking forward to my next track day in a few days. will update! i drove about an hour tonight with DSC installed and its quite amazing how sport + feels with DSC sport initiated. very smooth yet very tight. looking forward to tracking it! good job sirs with this thing!
My pleasure. Does your DSC controller have the standard 991 calibration file or GT3 TOUR calibration file? If you have the standard 991 cal file, consider trying the GT3 Tour cal file. Its a free download here. Normal mode is the same...Sport mode is hyper sport!

GT3FZS (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:09 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
My pleasure. Does your DSC controller have the standard 991 calibration file or GT3 TOUR calibration file? If you have the standard 991 cal file, consider trying the GT3 Tour cal file. Its a free download here. Normal mode is the same...Sport mode is hyper sport!

it came with the standard 991 calibration and I just updated to the GT3-TOUR and took it around the block during lunch break. how is this possible? even in DSC sport mode the car is butter soft. I could never drive in Sport+ in the city because the suspension was just too rough on the edges, but now with DSC sport on, those initial edges are gone and the car just butters over the little bumps. but you get into a corner and lean in and the suspension firms up immediately and holds the line. its amazing. its an oxymoron. I can stay on DSC sport all day now. and I still have the normal mode for the really rough patches.

I've only driven the car for two days since installing and I'm in love. I have a track day planned next week so really looking forward to seeing how this reflects on my lap times. will report back! thanks again
GT3FZS (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:26 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

it came with the standard 991 calibration and I just updated to the GT3-TOUR and took it around the block during lunch break. how is this possible? even in DSC sport mode the car is butter soft. I could never drive in Sport+ in the city because the suspension was just too rough on the edges, but now with DSC sport on, those initial edges are gone and the car just butters over the little bumps. but you get into a corner and lean in and the suspension firms up immediately and holds the line. its amazing. its an oxymoron. I can stay on DSC sport all day now. and I still have the normal mode for the really rough patches.

I've only driven the car for two days since installing and I'm in love. I have a track day planned next week so really looking forward to seeing how this reflects on my lap times. will report back! thanks again
Glad you like your DSC Sport controller with GT3 Tour file. You can really hammer it on track in Sport mode!
Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Vrrooom
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I keep reading good things about this controller. That it smoothens out the ride on the street and feels significantly better on turns. I think the stock setup is really good as is, and can't imagine how this can have such an impact with just some tuning. Wouldn't the Porsche engineers have done this in the first place? I ask myself how much is this just hype and reinforcing your purchase vs true results.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:02 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
Wouldn't the Porsche engineers have done this in the first place? I ask myself how much is this just hype and reinforcing your purchase vs true results.
Porsche/Bilstein engineers did do it... on the 992.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I keep reading good things about this controller. That it smoothens out the ride on the street and feels significantly better on turns. I think the stock setup is really good as is, and can't imagine how this can have such an impact with just some tuning. Wouldn't the Porsche engineers have done this in the first place? I ask myself how much is this just hype and reinforcing your purchase vs true results.
I get this question like 50x each week by phone, email, private messaging. I am pretty sure I have answered this question before on various different threads/section of this forum and other forums. The answer is we don't knows why the factory engineers didn't do what we did. I think only the upper level decision makers at PAG would know... I do have some wild guesses. Wild guess #1) incremental release of suspension evolution over x number generations of cars, #2) the factory suspension software is set for each model so that a potential car buyer can feel the difference from the entry level car model to the top level car model, and #3) the potential car buyer on a test drive must be able to feel a significant difference immediately to the push of bottom during a road test... again these are just my wild guesses if I were a decision maker for a car company who's goal is to sell a new car to the same buyer every 2 or 3 or 4 years.

For us, the bottom line is we are car hardcore enthusiast and racers. We have an opportunity to make an improvement to our own liking. Which our own liking happens to be liked by other fellow enthusiasts. So here we are. We are just a tiny part of a billion-dollar aftermarket industry that offer suspension, brakes, tires, exhaust, and engine tuning products that exceeds OEM level performance.

PAG makes great cars. I am a life long fan. But any car can be made better.

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Porsche/Bilstein engineers did do it... on the 992.
992 owners whom have previous owned 997/991 with DSC have contacted us for 992 DSC. We have a couple of projects to wrap up before buying a 992 for development.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
GT3FZS (11-13-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 11-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I ask myself how much is this just hype and reinforcing your purchase vs true results.
Examples of reviews in youtube videos by some pretty serious car nuts

The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
4 Point 0 (11-14-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024), usccharles (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 07:26 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Wouldn’t Porsche engineers make the brakes more than effective enough? You wouldn’t need to upgrade them?

I not only melted a brand new set of OEM pads to bare metal in 3 x 20 minute sessions, I turned the front Red calipers brown!!!

No problem, I replaced the entire system with Brembo GTS BBK 380mm front and rear. They aren’t painted. I sent those brown. Surely as over enhineered as they are, it would be enough? No, i turned the metal brown.

I will try GTR next. There is massive room for improvement everywhere.

The DSC made track mode usable on the street on stock suspension.

My car is so highly modified a GT3 is so slow in comparison its like racing a Hyundai.

The DSC now with full tractive has me handing a GT2-RS its *** on the track, with guys that can drive.

Its not hype, it works. Its such a cheap mod, I was in a hurry amd bought a 2nd one, so i never had to wait.

I would normally say, if you drive around like miss daisy, don’t bother. But this DSC is so good, it makes the car better everywhere. Better handling witj more comfort.

My latest map has me driving on the street in full track mode. Its insainly good with full coilovers that are track stiff.

its un heard of. Its a no brainer, and it grows with you.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-14-2020 at 07:33 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
tgavem (11-14-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024), Tom@TPC Racing (11-14-2020), Vrrooom (12-16-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:21 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Tom pointed me to a local dealer here in Canada. JRP Online loaded the GT3 Tour map. Took me 5 minutes to install. My T feels much more locked in especially under power in corners. Definitely worth upgrading for those that are in tune with their car.
Vrrooom (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module