Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020 | 11:33 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by P911T
Just listed brand new (unopened) unit on eBay if interested. Selling as I don't have confidence to install myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124388274264

Cheers
Brett
I did my Joyeauto install a few months ago, yeah it was a pain, yeah it was hotter than Hades working in the garage {I live in Texas} but it was a great feeling of accomplishment when it was completed. I just installed a rear view camera, plugged into the Joyeauto box, and it works great. One thing Brett, I realized my Samsung 10+ screen is almost as big as my PCM screen 😁. In that regard, if it wasn't for the rear view camera option, I probably would've reconsidered buying the darn thing. I would've just used my Sam 10+
Old 10-23-2020 | 12:51 PM
maxr713
1st Gear

Originally Posted by P911T
Just listed brand new (unopened) unit on eBay if interested. Selling as I don't have confidence to install myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124388274264

Cheers
Brett
Just curious where you bought it from and how long it took to get it?
Old 10-23-2020 | 01:21 PM
c615586
Instructor

I just purchased mine from the store on the Auto Amateur website. The price is a little better than most of the other vendors I've seen.

Now I just need to put on my brave pants and actually install the thing.

Last edited by c615586; 10-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2020 | 05:08 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

I hope someone here can help me. I have purchased a JoyAuto unit for my 981 GT4 with the intention of adding Apple CarPlay, and front and rear cameras. I have successfully installed the board in the PCM 3.1 head unit and decided to test the components before mounting it back in the car and running the wiring for the cameras. The good news is that the CarPlay comes on and works perfectly both wired and wirelessly. The bad news is that I cannot get the cameras to activate and display on the PCM unit. I am using Natika cameras that I purchased on Amazon and know (I think) from reading many threads that they work with the JoyeAuto unit. After not being able to get them to show up, I connected them to my garage TV using my Power Probe for 12V power and they work as advertised. As for the connection to the JoyeAuto, I have cycled the dip switches and have tried with switch 3 on and off. I have even tried 4 and 8 on. I have also made sure that the cameras are turned on in the JoyAuto settings. I have wired up the cameras so that the Ground and red wire from the camera is provided power triggered by the Power Probe (as if the backup light is on) and the red wire on the JoyAuto end is connected to. the yellow JoyeAuto Acc wire. I have also grounded the camera Ground to the chassis to make sure I'm completing the circuit. The car is currently on my lift with the seats out so I cannot test drive it to see if that makes any difference. I am in contact with JoyeAuto but due to the time difference, I have not heard back from their tech support. Have I forgotten anything, done something wrong, or do I have a bad unit? I've attached a picture of my setup if that helps. Hopefully, someone here can provide me a solution! Thank you, I'm not sure what to try next. I just hope I don't have to go to the hassle of getting a replacement.

Old 10-23-2020 | 06:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Last_935
I hope someone here can help me. I have purchased a JoyAuto unit for my 981 GT4 with the intention of adding Apple CarPlay, and front and rear cameras. I have successfully installed the board in the PCM 3.1 head unit and decided to test the components before mounting it back in the car and running the wiring for the cameras. The good news is that the CarPlay comes on and works perfectly both wired and wirelessly. The bad news is that I cannot get the cameras to activate and display on the PCM unit. I am using Natika cameras that I purchased on Amazon and know (I think) from reading many threads that they work with the JoyeAuto unit. After not being able to get them to show up, I connected them to my garage TV using my Power Probe for 12V power and they work as advertised. As for the connection to the JoyeAuto, I have cycled the dip switches and have tried with switch 3 on and off. I have even tried 4 and 8 on. I have also made sure that the cameras are turned on in the JoyAuto settings. I have wired up the cameras so that the Ground and red wire from the camera is provided power triggered by the Power Probe (as if the backup light is on) and the red wire on the JoyAuto end is connected to. the yellow JoyeAuto Acc wire. I have also grounded the camera Ground to the chassis to make sure I'm completing the circuit. The car is currently on my lift with the seats out so I cannot test drive it to see if that makes any difference. I am in contact with JoyeAuto but due to the time difference, I have not heard back from their tech support. Have I forgotten anything, done something wrong, or do I have a bad unit? I've attached a picture of my setup if that helps. Hopefully, someone here can provide me a solution! Thank you, I'm not sure what to try next. I just hope I don't have to go to the hassle of getting a replacement.
GT4, so it's a Manual? You need to tap into a reverse wire somewhere to tell the unit it is in reverse. It's somewhere in this thread.
Also for the camera to come on, the car needs to be turned on, and reverse selected to kick the unit into camera mode, and make sure the PCM is turned on.
Sorry can't help on the forward camera setup.
Old 10-23-2020 | 06:57 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
GT4, so it's a Manual? You need to tap into a reverse wire somewhere to tell the unit it is in reverse. It's somewhere in this thread.
Also for the camera to come on, the car needs to be turned on, and reverse selected to kick the unit into camera mode, and make sure the PCM is turned on.
Sorry can't help on the forward camera setup.
Thank you. Yes, It's a manual. I have not tapped into the reverse lamp yet. I was thinking that sending 12v to the camera hot lead via the Power Probe would simulate the car going into reverse as the tap would do the same thing. Would that not be the case? I am trying it with the car key turned all the way on and have tried it with it running as well.

Last edited by Last_935; 10-23-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2020 | 07:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Last_935
Thank you. Yes, It's a manual. I have not tapped into the reverse lamp yet. I was thinking that sending 12v to the camera hot lead via the Power Probe would simulate the car going into reverse as the tap would do the same thing. Would that not be the case? I am trying it with the car key turned all the way on and have tried it with it running as well.
Yes, that will power the camera, but not the CarPlay unit. The camera switching is in the unit. If the camera is not working, the screen will just go black, when reverse is selected. The CarPlay unit, will power the camera when reverse is selected, and that will show on the screen. If you do not tell the unit it's in reverse,NO camera. You have to setup that trigger first.
Old 10-23-2020 | 08:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Interesting, I know in the NMAutomotive version, it taps into canbus to know I am in reverse and it even activates the turning lines onto the screen. I did not need to tap the reverse lights, I guess the joy auto does it differently.
Old 10-23-2020 | 09:24 PM
dngo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joec500
Interesting, I know in the NMAutomotive version, it taps into canbus to know I am in reverse and it even activates the turning lines onto the screen. I did not need to tap the reverse lights, I guess the joy auto does it differently.
Yes, it’s different and it’s the primary reason I went with the NM Automotive unit. I confirmed it with Joyeauto directly.
Old 10-23-2020 | 09:40 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Originally Posted by dngo
Yes, it’s different and it’s the primary reason I went with the NM Automotive unit. I confirmed it with Joyeauto directly.
even with a manual transmission?

my understanding is that both joyeauto and NM tap into CANbus for PDK, but neither do for manuals. Want to make sure we’re not spreading any misinformation here as this was a source of confusion for me being a manual owner!
Old 10-23-2020 | 09:58 PM
dngo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bry5on
even with a manual transmission?

my understanding is that both joyeauto and NM tap into CANbus for PDK, but neither do for manuals. Want to make sure we’re not spreading any misinformation here as this was a source of confusion for me being a manual owner!
NM Automotive works perfectly with CANBUS with my 7spd manual, shows guidelines, and doesn’t need to tap into a reverse wire.

Even Joyeauto support was surprised that the NM Automotive unit could do it with only CANBUS on a manual car.

Last edited by dngo; 10-23-2020 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bry5on (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 01:47 PM
thomd
Advanced

I performed the JoyeAuto install this weekend on my 2015 Boxster. I also added a backup camera. Here are some notes to try and help others.

I watched Auto Amateurs' video (below) several times before I started. After watching the video, I was able to go through the process by memory which was fast and trouble free.

One issue I was warned about beforehand was making sure the new wiring harness was well plugged into the HU. After inserting it, press those wires in to make sure they are connected. it just took about an hour to get the car disassembled and the HU updated. Plugged it in and it worked first time. Yea.

My backup camera took several hours (about 5) because there was so much disassembly. I watched Auto Amateurs' videos on this as well, but his two video were on 911s, so my Boxster camera install was different. I did remove the bumper (even though there are videos out there suggesting you do not have to, and it was not a big deal. Just take your time. Running the camera wire from the trunk to the cabin was a bit of a challenge to find the path, so here is what I found.

1) I removed the trunk carpet on the left/drivers side. I could see a bundle of wires going up into the top left corner. That was my clue.
2) I put the roof in service mode following this video (below). I did removed the carpet on the firewall behind the seats.When you pull the glass up, you have access to the engine area. With access to the engine area, I semi-removed the carpet on the drivers side. Just lifted it up to get access below. Below the carpet is a thick rubber sound barrier. I lifted this up from the rear of the car. I did not try to completely remove this, because I did not know how easy it would be to reinstall, so I just lifted the edge from the rear. In doing so I could see the wire bundle that was going to the trunk. Pulling that wire was simple.
3) Under this same sound barrier, that same wire bundle went forward into the cabin which I could see in the cabin where I had removed the carpet behind the seats. I used a fish wire to pull the video cable through this area.
4) Now that I had the wire pulled from the cabin to the trunk, I just tucked it under trim and carpet till it made it to the rear bumper for the camera end and the dash for the JoyeAuto box connection.
5) My camera had a disconnect close to the camera, so I spaced my wires so that disconnect was right next to the disconnect for the bumper wires. I wanted to make it easy if anyone else ever has to remove the bumper.

I did test the camera before I started any of the bumper removal, and again when I installed it in the bumper just to make sure it was working. Also you much flip the last dip switch on the JoyeAuto for the aftermarket camera.

Overall, this was not as hard as I anticipated, but I do have a comfort level with electronics. It is time consuming if you include the camera.

The only issue I have at the moment is that my iPhone does not auto connect when I start the car. I have to go into Bluetooth setting and connect. The Joyeauto is shown as a paired device, it just does not auto connect. I suspect this is just a config issue with the Joyeauto and have emailed them to find out.

I am thrilled to have carPlay in my 2015 Boxster! Thrilled. Now I will keep this car for a few more years. I do like my electronics.

I am in the San Antonio area and might be willing to install this for others.

Last edited by thomd; 10-26-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: moved video links below copy so they do not get inserted in copy.
The following 2 users liked this post by thomd:
dngo (10-26-2020), Noah Fect (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 04:29 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dngo
NM Automotive works perfectly with CANBUS with my 7spd manual, shows guidelines, and doesn’t need to tap into a reverse wire.

Even Joyeauto support was surprised that the NM Automotive unit could do it with only CANBUS on a manual car.
2nd, I also have a manual car.
Old 10-26-2020 | 04:57 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

I have the NM kit with PDK. Just keep in mind the electric handbrake must be disengaged for the backup camera to display on the PCM. I’m not sure if this is also the case for a manual and the Joyeauto Kit.
Old 10-31-2020 | 09:13 PM
c615586
Instructor

Quick question-- I added the mother board today and have the PCM back together awaiting reinstallation back into the car tomorrow.

What settings do I need to have the dip switches set on the Joyeauto box? I am only adding CarPlay, no cameras at this time

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1