Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mamick
@ZedZed Yes I was using the OEM USB port in the glove box which is connected to port 23. I know it is connected because the only file on the USB was the canbus file and after I removed t had a bunch of of other directories that I assume the Android HU created.

I will go look at the gain/volume settings again but I messed with those a lot trying to get Siri louder on Carplay.

Thanks again!
OK - thanks for clarifying.

Re the volume 'jump'. I played around with these settings for ages before I got it sorted. I can't recall which menu the setting is in, but the first slider is for ALL, with various other inputs below it. I moved them all to a low setting and the ALL to more or less zero. That fixed it for me - but there are several places where audio gain can be adjusted (why??) so you may also need to play with those. The Cayman is at my wife's office ATM, or I'd take some photos for you. Remind me later if I forget.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:04 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^
Forget Siri for the moment and try to get the radio volume right. I think Siri with Carplay has its own set of issues from Apple and the problem you are having isn't a HU problem. Once you have the main volume working, we can look again at Siri. Every comment I have seen on Siri has referred to this issue you are having. FWIW, there is no problem with Android's equivalent, Google Assistant, so I am pretty sure the HU isn't the culprit this time.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
zcspec
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Outstanding video Peter, with really clear instructions, especially for the pesky ribbon cables which, IMO, are the trickiest part of the job to get right. I can see why you only attached the board with 1 screw and it makes it easier to get that ribbon cable as flat as possible. My question would be: by only using 1 screw, does this allow the board to vibrate or move when the car is being driven, and if so, is this likely to cause any issues down the line with stress failure of any of the components?
Great question and in all honesty, only time will tell. IMHO though, I do not believe there will be any issues as the ribbon cable is pressed up against the CD player relatively tightly. This should create a buffer for vibrations, etc somehow. The manufacture did tell me that you can mount all three stalks, but you end up having to bend the ribbon cables pretty sharply.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:23 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zcspec
Great question and in all honesty, only time will tell. IMHO though, I do not believe there will be any issues as the ribbon cable is pressed up against the CD player relatively tightly. This should create a buffer for vibrations, etc somehow. The manufacture did tell me that you can mount all three stalks, but you end up having to bend the ribbon cables pretty sharply.
Yes, when I installed the similar Isudar board, this bending the cable too much was one of the main issues I had. I did use all three screws, taking comfort from the fact that Porsche had totally folded over the ribbon cable from (I think) the CD player. But I was never comfortable with folding the cable, thinking there might be a quality difference between an OEM cable from Porsche and a cable from China In the end the installation worked just fine and remained in my car until I swapped out the HU altogether. I thought your video was very, very clear in the section about the ribbon cables, especially how to undo and secure the little clips, and getting the orientation of the cable in the slot right. Incorrect fitment of the ribbon cables seems to be the main cause of installation problems with this style of solution.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:32 AM
zcspec
Rennlist Member

@ZedZed, I greatly appreciate your input and feedback. Hopefully others will see this product as a via option to adding CP/AA into their 911. I absolutely love the change thus far.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:38 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zcspec
@ZedZed, I greatly appreciate your input and feedback. Hopefully others will see this product as a via option to adding CP/AA into their 911. I absolutely love the change thus far.
Thank you. It is amazing how much more modern and up-to-date the car feels with the addition of CP and AA.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:01 PM
JConk007
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also Interested to do this on my 2015 991.1 What PCM is on this model ?? I Found product Merge Screens? requires removal of PCM as mentioned
Old 04-23-2024, 01:20 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JConk007
I am also Interested to do this on my 2015 991.1 What PCM is on this model ?? I Found product Merge Screens? requires removal of PCM as mentioned
PCM 3.1.

As well as the one mentioned by zcspec, there are similar units from Isudar, Mr 12 Volt and others. They all use a circuit board mounted inside the PCM. The main benefit is that the car still looks totally stock. The big drawback is that you still have the low-res screen and fairly clunky operating system of the PCM.

A lot of us in this thread have chosen to replace the PCM entirely, with a more modern Android head unit. The benefits of this are an easier installation (no need to open the PCM and install a circuit board, which requires a degree of skill), a modern, fast head unit with a really good touch screen, and the ability to install numerous apps from the Google Play Store/ The drawback (if it is one) is that you lose the OEM appearance of the original car, although TBH, not by much as these units are designed specifically to fit our Porsches.

Both methods give you CarPlay and Android Auto, so it's a matter of personal perference whether you go for the add-on circuit board approach, or the new HU. Read through the thread for a ton of useful information and tips.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:33 PM
zcspec
Rennlist Member

Well stated ZedZed. If you're local to SoCal JConk007, I am happy to perform the install for you.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:01 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

How reliable are all the Erisin and clone owners finding their unit and regular apps in day to day use?

I have had
  • Agama launcher crash and restart itself occasionally
  • The DAB Z app occasionally does not have any sound. Fixed by force closing and restarting the spp
  • The whole HU has restarted once or twice
Nothing I can't live with, but a shame it's not a bit more reliable.

​​​​​​Anyone got rock solid reliability?
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (04-25-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:46 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
How reliable are all the Erisin and clone owners finding their unit and regular apps in day to day use?

I have had
  • Agama launcher crash and restart itself occasionally
  • The DAB Z app occasionally does not have any sound. Fixed by force closing and restarting the spp
  • The whole HU has restarted once or twice
Nothing I can't live with, but a shame it's not a bit more reliable.

​​​​​​Anyone got rock solid reliability?
I've had what I'd call excellent reliability on both my units. The Panamera unit cost about £900 so I can't fairly compare that with the £280 Cayman unit.

I'm both units I am using Carwebguru as the launcher and, so far, it has performed flawlessly (if you discount errors on my part during the early days of setting it up).

I am using DAB-Z in the Cayman (I haven't yet installed DAB in the Panamera) and we've had no issues or crashes). I am using the Erisin DAB hardware.

Neither HU has spontaneously rebooted itself.

All the issues I've had have been the common ones reported in the thread, which have either been user error or baked-in issues which have now been solved - eg the bright lights thing).

Remember that I am not using an Erisin unit, just one that appears to be pretty much identical. How much actual differences there are between these units, I have no idea.

I've had the Panamera unit for a long time - coming up to a year I think. We've had the Cayman unit for about 3 or 4 months. Both are used daily. If I had any reliability issues months ago, I have forgotten about them, because I can't remember any specific issues for sure.

Overall, I have been happy with reliability. I've had worse issues with other tech, definitely. Eg, mobile phones, computers, cctv cams, smarthome devices, routers, even TVs. I think pretty much all tech is released before it is properly ready, with the end user finishing the development stage, which is irritating but understandable in the race to survive in such a fast moving and competitive environment.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

I do not have an Erisin, but with my unit, certain apps shut down on its own and I have to restart them. It does not happen all the time, and no rhythm or reason, but it is annoying when it happens.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:48 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive had 0 problems with mine. My only complaint is that boot screen/animation take a bit (were talking 30 second) to boot. So when im leaving the back up camera takes a little to pull up.. Nothing bad at all.

Carplay SOMETIMES will break up when playing a song, though i believe it has to do with my service.. ATT is not that great where i am at. Should download the songs.

The launcher im using is "Nova Launcher" and i really do think its the cleanest. I changed the Zlink icon to the carplay logo. Feels really OEM now haha.

Still wish carplay was wired...
Old 04-24-2024, 07:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Ive had 0 problems with mine. My only complaint is that boot screen/animation take a bit (were talking 30 second) to boot. So when im leaving the back up camera takes a little to pull up.. Nothing bad at all.
We leave both our units in 'standby' mode so they start up as soon as the ignition is turned on. As the cars are used every day, more or less, any battery rain is insignificant. On the Panamera unit there's a neat setting which lets you choose when you want the unit to fully power down - I have it set to three days. I can't find a similar setting on the Cayman unit so I just set it to remain 'on' in standby - one of the reasons was to avoid that wait for the reverse camera.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:51 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

@ZedZed who makes the expensive unit in your Panamera? I'm curious whether or not they do a version for the 911?!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1