991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020 | 09:59 PM
osunick
Racer

Just FYI, I discovered you can connect a BC 1.2 compliant powered hub in the car and you will get 1.5A of charging rather than the 500mA that many kits provide. Made a huge difference for me when I got this:
Amazon Amazon
and
Amazon Amazon
to power it.

Android Auto works great and I assume CarPlay as well, and now my phone doesn't slowly discharge if I use the screen at all.
Old 09-07-2020 | 01:26 PM
leedo3
Rennlist Member

Osunick and other Android users,

To connect to the Joyeauto unit, I have to plug my phone into the Joyeauto USB AFTER the car is started, PCM in AUX and push NAVI button. Is there a way to make the connection from the phone to Joyeauto more automatic?
Also...WAZE, Google Maps apps show up on the screen menu. How do I make other apps on my phone show up on the Android Auto launch window on the PCM screen?
Lastly....after Android Auto launches, if I switch to Tuner on the PCM to get radio, it seems like I lose the voice prompts from Android Auto.....and need to switch back to AUX source. Is there a workaround to avoid losing the Android Auto voice prompts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2020 | 01:42 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leedo3

To connect to the Joyeauto unit, I have to plug my phone into the Joyeauto USB AFTER the car is started, PCM in AUX and push NAVI button. Is there a way to make the connection from the phone to Joyeauto more automatic?
Also...WAZE, Google Maps apps show up on the screen menu. How do I make other apps on my phone show up on the Android Auto launch window on the PCM screen?
Lastly....after Android Auto launches, if I switch to Tuner on the PCM to get radio, it seems like I lose the voice prompts from Android Auto.....and need to switch back to AUX source. Is there a workaround to avoid losing the Android Auto voice prompts?

Thanks in advance.
Not all apps will display - they have to offer an Android Auto version of the app to be eligible for use within AA.
Old 09-07-2020 | 01:48 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by leedo3

Thanks in advance.
Android Auto has fairly strict requirements for what can draw on the second screen in your car. This is partly to ensure that the apps are easily glanceable and usable with minimal distraction, and requires the app developers to invest in developing for AA. Virtually all apps that will support AA are navigation and music apps. There are apps that will draw gauges in Android Auto, but this capability is actually disallowed by Google Play so you have to sideload an app that lets you display OBD data via Torque. Normally, only OEMs can develop AA apps that draw to the screen, even the music ones are basically the same as what you see in your notifications when playing music.

The PCM doesn't have the ability to mix sources so there isn't an option for you to hear voice prompts and listen to any source other than your phone. There is no way to make the connection automatic, since I don't listen to anything other than my phone the source thing is a non issue for me.

-n.

Last edited by osunick; 09-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2020 | 08:40 AM
dngo
Advanced

Can anyone confirm please that the NM Automotive kit will automatically switch to the reverse camera without having to tap any wires in a manual car? Nick says that it will, but Joyeauto support says on manual cars there is no reverse or steering data available - so you have to tap a reverse light wire and there are no guidance lines.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2020 | 07:01 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dngo
Can anyone confirm please that the NM Automotive kit will automatically switch to the reverse camera without having to tap any wires in a manual car? Nick says that it will, but Joyeauto support says on manual cars there is no reverse or steering data available - so you have to tap a reverse light wire and there are no guidance lines.

Thanks!
I have the version 1 non wireless NMAuto unit and can confirm that I DID NOT need to tap any reverse wires. I believe it listens to the CAN signal wires for reverse and pops up the guidance lines and the camera. I also have a 7MT. I only needed to tap a ground and I ran the power and signal wire from the NMAuto unit to the generic cheap ebay camera (works great BTW).

The following users liked this post:
koala (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020 | 09:25 PM
dngo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have the version 1 non wireless NMAuto unit and can confirm that I DID NOT need to tap any reverse wires. I believe it listens to the CAN signal wires for reverse and pops up the guidance lines and the camera. I also have a 7MT. I only needed to tap a ground and I ran the power and signal wire from the NMAuto unit to the generic cheap ebay camera (works great BTW).
Awesome, thanks. I may have a Joyeauto unit for sale soon...
Old 09-14-2020 | 12:25 AM
Azndavid85
Advanced

Why selling it? Too much issues?

Awesome, thanks. I may have a Joyeauto unit for sale soon...
Old 09-14-2020 | 09:36 AM
dngo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Azndavid85
Why selling it? Too much issues?
No, I found the support to be quite responsive to my questions and reviews I’ve seen have been quite positive. The main reason is that my car is MT and the Joyeauto unit will not pick up the reverse signal to turn on a rear view camera unless you tap a reverse light wire. Also, it doesn’t pick up steering signals to add dynamic guidelines to the camera on MT cars. On PDK cars, everything works as expected without having to tap wires.

The NM Automotive unit picks up the signals from CANBUS for MT cars without having to tap anything.
The following users liked this post:
koala (09-23-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 03:18 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

So are these units all the same or not? Or perhaps just earlier or later reversions?

My previous understanding is that the Joyeauto, NM Auto, etc where all the same, likely all out of the same factory in China, with the difference essentially being the level of support and documentation you received along with shipping times...
Old 09-14-2020 | 03:21 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by pfbz
So are these units all the same or not? Or perhaps just earlier or later reversions?

My previous understanding is that the Joyeauto, NM Auto, etc where all the same, likely all out of the same factory in China, with the difference essentially being the level of support and documentation you received along with shipping times...

My unit is definitely Korean, not Chinese. Networkwws (Network Worldwide Solutions)
Old 09-23-2020 | 01:08 PM
dngo
Advanced

Quick question - my installer is working on the NM Automotive unit install and the first pre-installation step is to check the PCM sub-module status. The last submodule is 'PCM31 FDC' and that is showing as invalid. Any thoughts on what that might be and whether we can proceed?

We have an email into Nick as well but I thought I'd check here too. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2020 | 01:10 PM
tjg81296
Racer

Quick question - my installer is working on the NM Automotive unit install and the first pre-installation step is to check the PCM sub-module status. The last submodule is 'PCM31 FDC' and that is showing as invalid. Any thoughts on what that might be and whether we can proceed?

We have an email into Nick as well but I thought I'd check here too. Thanks!
when I did my install they were all “valid”.

Nick was pretty responsive.
Old 09-23-2020 | 01:29 PM
dngo
Advanced

Originally Posted by tjg81296
when I did my install they were all “valid”.

Nick was pretty responsive.
Thanks! The only thing I can think of is I don't have a current satellite radio subscription. Otherwise everything works as far as I can tell.
Old 09-23-2020 | 01:36 PM
P911T
Advanced

I'm had zero luck finding anyone in NYC/Lower CT to do the install in my Turbo. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1