Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Mine has two boxes, there was no chance in hell they would fit behind the PCM. I tried everything. When things settle down with school for kids, I'm going to go back in and see if there's something I can 3D print to make the installation better.
Oh interesting. the Unichip from NMAutomotive uses two boxes? And they're connected via HDMI? I haven't seen that before, interesting. Have any pics? I'll trust you and buy that cable. :-D
Old 08-17-2020, 05:06 PM
rykomatsu
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

One more tip, if you get one of these to run from the inside of the board outside of your PCM you won't have to leave your antenna port loose or trim your PCM. Just route it carefully out the back and place some electrical tape on any sharp edges where the optical drive splits from the PCM electronics. You'll need a short, flexible HDMI extension cord to plug into your Netplay box.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for sharing the tip. I'm a little bit confused about this - maybe because I haven't received the unit yet (I believe it's a Unichip unit). From the Amazon cable, are you removing the flat ribbon cable from one of the HDMI connectors and plugging that into the PCM daughter board? And the other HDMI connector goes where? What you suggest seems like a much more elegant solution, but for the life of me, cant figure out what's supposed to happen with the HDMI connectors themselves.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:31 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rykomatsu
Thanks for sharing the tip. I'm a little bit confused about this - maybe because I haven't received the unit yet (I believe it's a Unichip unit). From the Amazon cable, are you removing the flat ribbon cable from one of the HDMI connectors and plugging that into the PCM daughter board? And the other HDMI connector goes where? What you suggest seems like a much more elegant solution, but for the life of me, cant figure out what's supposed to happen with the HDMI connectors themselves.

You know, the I have the naviplus unit which is the Network unit from Korea. I assumed nmautomotive used the same unit, but if they're using unichip, then I am probably completely wrong. Sorry!
Old 08-17-2020, 07:46 PM
txbdan
Pro

You know, the I have the naviplus unit which is the Network unit from Korea. I assumed nmautomotive used the same unit, but if they're using unichip, then I am probably completely wrong. Sorry!
Ha, you might want to clarify that in the post above. I ordered that cable even though it didn't really make sense. My fault i guess.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM
rykomatsu
Track Day

I went through a different route (Macan / Panamera) to purchase so it's possible I have something else. Unfortunately, there aren't too many pictures online that distinguish all the flavors that are out there. I think I've seen 5 different ones. 3 with 1 box, 2 with 2 boxes...
Old 08-18-2020, 02:05 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I went through a different route (Macan / Panamera) to purchase so it's possible I have something else. Unfortunately, there aren't too many pictures online that distinguish all the flavors that are out there. I think I've seen 5 different ones. 3 with 1 box, 2 with 2 boxes...
Here is the list of parts that came with my wired NMAUTOMOTIVE Kit. I’m not sure if the wireless kit they sell has similar parts.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:10 PM
txbdan
Pro

^awesome thanks. I forgot, does the NMAutomotive kit allow yo uto keep the SiriusXM board? i read about different standoffs that can allow it to fit. My kit comes on Friday. Shipped super fast.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:09 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
^awesome thanks. I forgot, does the NMAutomotive kit allow yo uto keep the SiriusXM board? i read about different standoffs that can allow it to fit. My kit comes on Friday. Shipped super fast.
Yes, the kit allows you to keep the satellite board. If you do not have a copy of the installation instructions just send Nick an email.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:29 AM
rykomatsu
Track Day

Well...tonight didn't go well...

The connector on one of the Porsche PCM boards popped off and ripped a couple of pins off...the connector released before the tab so I don't think it was due to force...

Found one of the ribbon pins and saved it, but the...whatever was on the very right...can't seem to find it anymore

Not sure if this is repairable or not - at least I don't have the skill to fix unfortunately. Since I need the car back up and running with nav late next week, looks like I'm going the MOST-HUR adapter and aftermarket HU route now...expensive incident

Edit: I can get the connector back on after straightening the pins, with a missing pin...HU doesn't turn on, though it still plays the radio...controls are also non-functional, though the steering wheel controls still work.

Last edited by rykomatsu; 08-21-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

I would just buy a used one from a dismantler and replace that board. Or look on ebay for a used one. Try to find one with the same music options in your car to make sure it's coded properly.
The following users liked this post:
rykomatsu (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Well...tonight didn't go well...

Not sure if this is repairable or not - at least I don't have the skill to fix unfortunately. Since I need the car back up and running with nav late next week, looks like I'm going the MOST-HUR adapter and aftermarket HU route now...expensive incident

Edit: I can get the connector back on after straightening the pins, with a missing pin...HU doesn't turn on, though it still plays the radio...controls are also non-functional, though the steering wheel controls still work.
That is easy to repair if you have the parts and skills.
Contact these guys, they can fix it, or maybe have a few spare boards.
https://www.beckerautosound.com
rykomatsu (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Wiser words have never been spoken......
rykomatsu (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:37 PM
rykomatsu
Track Day

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Contact these guys, they can fix it, or maybe have a few spare boards.
https://www.beckerautosound.com
Thanks, I did call them earlier and they indicated they could likely fix it, though they are on holiday next week. Starting minimum is a bit steep at $1000, but better than a new PCM.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:39 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Any half-decent computer store could fix that, too. Similar connectors on old school motherboards. Don't stress, it's an easy fix for the right person.

Try to find a local computer shop that does laptop repairs specifically.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

I would seriously shop around for used PCM's, maybe even one with a broken screen. As all you need is that board.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1