Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 12:21 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow that’s quick. I would pay more to get it quicker. Anything from China takes way too long these days.

I’d go Korean over China made all day. Thanks for your help going to order today.

Does anyone have a good replacement solution for the crappy camera resolution that’s on my 2013 Cayenne? I am looking for a OEM look and feel with better resolution.

Originally Posted by osunick
It was DHL and less than a week, I believe.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:33 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

I have narrowed down my choices to NM Automotive (UK) or Naviplus (AU). Any differences in the kits or are they pretty much the same thing?
It was DHL and less than a week, I believe.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:21 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Any other recommendations besides California Car Sounds in Campbell, CA in the Bay Area that can do this install? The price of installation has significantly increased since last time I inquired. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:28 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

@rotaz, I install the NM system myself. If you want some help, I can provide assistant. Im in SF.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:41 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you describe how the installation went? I can't find any details on their website and it looks like the components don't include any circuit boards that would require opening the PCM. That doesn't sound right so looking for details.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:12 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Roughly:
- remove PCM
- Split PCM case
- Swap flat cables
- Add Card
- reconnect new cables
- close case
- reconnect PCM with new harness
- connect external NV box
- reconnect all the cables
- route new mic
- placement of NM box..this was the most difficult part, as spacing is limited.
put everything back.

I would say its a 5, from 1-10. The spiting of the case and adding the internal was not difficult, if you are familiar with any computer related repairs. Its the rerouting of cables and placing the external box is the most dificult and time comsuming.
The following users liked this post:
Falcondrivr (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:16 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Hi I appreciate that and normally I would do this myself, but with 2 kids taking up most of the time I don't really have the time do these types of projects these days. It's worth it to get it done professionally for me at this stage in my life.

Originally Posted by SF Neunelfer
@rotaz, I install the NM system myself. If you want some help, I can provide assistant. Im in SF.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

I did it myself with two young kids. It is something you can do in chunks. Suggestion is to pull the PCM and install the daughterboards. It's actually not hard to crack open and there are good videos online. Hook it all up with the boxes in your passenger seat to confirm it works before going through the arduous task of placing the boxes. I placed mine in the passenger footwell under the carpet next to the firewall, but at some point I'm going to do a better job placing them, I had to trim the foam piece that sits between the firewall and glovebox to make it fit. It's like a $20 part, NBD but I know I can do better. Otherwise, I'd just pay the shop.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:36 PM
osunick
Racer

One more tip, if you get one of these to run from the inside of the board outside of your PCM you won't have to leave your antenna port loose or trim your PCM. Just route it carefully out the back and place some electrical tape on any sharp edges where the optical drive splits from the PCM electronics. You'll need a short, flexible HDMI extension cord to plug into your Netplay box.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users liked this post:
kingluke (08-14-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaz
Hi I appreciate that and normally I would do this myself, but with 2 kids taking up most of the time I don't really have the time do these types of projects these days. It's worth it to get it done professionally for me at this stage in my life.
I am also in SF and did this install. Happy to help as well if you decide to tackle this in your own. It's really not that hard especially if you can break it up into a couple of days.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 AM
EMS2020
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone in Arizona installed or had installed the NM Automotive or the Naviplus?
Old 08-14-2020, 05:41 PM
kingluke
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more tip, if you get one of these to run from the inside of the board outside of your PCM you won't have to leave your antenna port loose or trim your PCM. Just route it carefully out the back and place some electrical tape on any sharp edges where the optical drive splits from the PCM electronics. You'll need a short, flexible HDMI extension cord to plug into your Netplay box.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the tip on this cable, I've ordered one and will give it a try. Will take some pics of it too when I do the install..
Old 08-16-2020, 07:38 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

NMAutomotive units are back in stock so i pulled the trigger. I went around in circles on this for several months, but in the end it seems to have the latest tech, doesn't require tapping a power source, and should have good firmware support in the future if needed. Pricier, though.

1. Is it possible to fit the box behind the PCM somehow? or below it? I'm trying to avoid having it simply behind firewall carpet. The car sees a lot of track time so needs to be pretty secure. (I'm in a 981 Cayman. Wups forgot this was a 991 thread)
2. I want a backup camera as well, the previously mentioned Nakita is in stock here
Amazon Amazon
Seem like the way to go assuming i want it OEM-style? I'll drill a hole in the bumper, that's fine.
3. Above, a HDMI extension cable was mentioned. Why is that needed? All thought all the internal connections were ribbon cables?

Thanks!

Last edited by txbdan; 08-16-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:39 PM
tjg81296
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by P911T
Cheers everyone, just ordered it. Now I need to find someone in NYC/CT region to install it for me as the install process looks intense.
Did you ever find someone? Did you go with NM?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:38 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by txbdan
NMAutomotive units are back in stock so i pulled the trigger. I went around in circles on this for several months, but in the end it seems to have the latest tech, doesn't require tapping a power source, and should have good firmware support in the future if needed. Pricier, though.

1. Is it possible to fit the box behind the PCM somehow? or below it? I'm trying to avoid having it simply behind firewall carpet. The car sees a lot of track time so needs to be pretty secure. (I'm in a 981 Cayman. Wups forgot this was a 991 thread)
2. I want a backup camera as well, the previously mentioned Nakita is in stock here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H852D49/ Seem like the way to go assuming i want it OEM-style? I'll drill a hole in the bumper, that's fine.
3. Above, a HDMI extension cable was mentioned. Why is that needed? All thought all the internal connections were ribbon cables?

Thanks!
Mine has two boxes, there was no chance in hell they would fit behind the PCM. I tried everything. When things settle down with school for kids, I'm going to go back in and see if there's something I can 3D print to make the installation better.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1