Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 04:32 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfx
If the PCM screen is blank, try turning up the radio / changing the source. If it works and you just have no VIDEO, then there is a ribbon cable that's unplugged/unalligned, or the tiny little 4 prong pin is upside down or backwards. I BELIEVE if you have no video in the native PCM environment then you have a ribbon cable that's not hooked up correctly. It took me a few times to ensure everything was FLAT and EVEN when installed.

The 2 orange fiber optic cables are just for audio.
I've checked and made sure the 4 prong pin is upside right, shiny pins up, I think too, it can only go in one way . I've pushed every button lol on the front of the pcm. I've checked the ribbons but I'll check again...thanks
Old 07-09-2020, 04:36 PM
cchan90
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Porsche
You get it figured out? I'm having the same problem , joyeauto powers up, blue lighting blinking. I've checked my connections 3 times so far, pcm screen blank. Did you relocate the 2 orange fiber optic cables from oem cable block to the joyeauto cable block? Some cars don't have them, my 2013 does .
I did! Make sure the 48 pin going into the PCM is FLUSH with the PCM. That was what got me. There’s a top latch locking mechanism that you pull the tab and pull the latch down

either that or check the other 48pin connection to the Joyeauto unit.

once that is plugged in correctly there should be a yellow light coming from within the PCM once ignition is on, if you have the PCM out
Old 07-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by cchan90
I did! Make sure the 48 pin going into the PCM is FLUSH with the PCM. That was what got me. There’s a top latch locking mechanism that you pull the tab and pull the latch down

either that or check the other 48pin connection to the Joyeauto unit.

once that is plugged in correctly there should be a yellow light coming from within the PCM once ignition is on, if you have the PCM out
Awesome, where is that yellow light located? I'll check my 48 pin connectors again, thanks !
Old 07-09-2020, 04:42 PM
cchan90
Intermediate

Awesome, where is that yellow light located? I'll check my 48 pin connectors again, thanks !
should be close to the top left front corner of the PCM box. It comes from inside the unit itself. If that’s not on then it should be a connection issue with the Joyeauto unit as it is not receiving power. If it is on but blank screen it’s likely a ribbon issue. PM me if you need any extra help I’m happy to chat over text messaging if needed
Old 07-09-2020, 05:07 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Looks like the Nakita cam is back in stock and is available in black, white, and chrome:
Amazon Amazon

Both the Unichip and Joyeauto can accept a front camera. With a front camera installed, how is it engaged? Like how do you set the screen to look through it?
Old 07-09-2020, 05:13 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I've checked and made sure the 4 prong pin is upside right, shiny pins up, I think too, it can only go in one way . I've pushed every button lol on the front of the pcm. I've checked the ribbons but I'll check again...thanks
If you open it up, take some pictures and post them up here.

The blue should go towards the middle on the new board, and the blue ribbons should be face up like they were from the factory (pluggin into the display).

Old 07-09-2020, 05:25 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Looks like the Nakita cam is back in stock and is available in black, white, and chrome:
https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backup...dp/B07HNFWSQN/

Both the Unichip and Joyeauto can accept a front camera. With a front camera installed, how is it engaged? Like how do you set the screen to look through it?
My guess is that the front camera has to be manually turned in the settings menu, but will probably need power from 12v igntiion just like the joye auto box.

I have a laser jammer ALP setup / (Radenso RCM) on my front bumper otherwise I'd honestly consider it.

For the rear, I did the CAI-camera for $150 here : https://cai-store.com/products/backu...fd4b6904&_ss=r
I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but it looks clean and comes with the bit, and my time is worth something so... I didn't gamble.

It looks like this installed :

and these are the two options for reverse lines (I have parking sensors so I elected to keep the ones with the additional car on the screen, even though it looks a little busy). You can change these by flipping joye auto dip switch #4 on the box.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

If you open it up, take some pictures and post them up here.

The blue should go towards the middle on the new board, and the blue ribbons should be face up like they were from the factory (pluggin into the display).

Everything looks good, the 48 pin block plugging into the pcm is as tight and pushed in as I can get it...don't know what else to do other than to check the original oem setup and see if the pcm turns on

Last edited by Texas Porsche; 07-09-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

After placing everything back to OEM, everything work. I noticed a big clue , the OEM 48 pin plug fits in further than what I had the joyeauto plug...though I did try several times prior to seat in as much as possible. Check the difference between the OEM plug connected versus the joyeauto plug, I hope that's the problem. It's going to be over 100 degrees for the next several days here in Texas and I don't have an air conditioned garage 😁 So maybe late next week when it's only in the 90's.

OEM

Joyeauto
Old 07-10-2020, 12:20 AM
cchan90
Intermediate

After placing everything back to OEM, everything work. I noticed a big clue , the OEM 48 pin plug fits in further than what I had the joyeauto plug...though I did try several times prior to seat in as much as possible. Check the difference between the OEM plug connected versus the joyeauto plug, I hope that's the problem. It's going to be over 100 degrees for the next several days here in Texas and I don't have an air conditioned garage 😁 So maybe late next week when it's only in the 90's.

OEM

Joyeauto
I would wager that’s exactly the issue. Make sure to pull the top tab/locking mechanism which will allow the Joyeauto 48pin connector to fit snugly.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Porsche (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Tache
AutoX

Does anyone have this kit with an Iphone 11 pro? I've been communicating with them for HOURS via whatsapp trying to troubleshoot why my wireless function does not work. The cable version works perfectly normal.

I believe I have a defective unit, but they keep having me try new software versions. I appreciate the support but at some point I think I just have a defective unit. I even tried (backing up and) resetting my phone and trying to connect with no luck. I tried an iphone 8 with also no luck.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Did you go into the JoyAuto settings and turn on Bluetooth AND then connect from the Joyeauto settings to the iPhone? I tried to connect via the iPhone and it would not work. That is what I had to do, which was counterintuitive.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Tache
AutoX

The large u-shaped locking mechanism's arm goes to about a 30 degree angle, then you push it all the way in, as you do the latch can be pushed in lock.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Porsche (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Xtian
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Team

anybody experiencing loud noise on mic during calls?

Where to you place the mic or do I need to upgrade it?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

I know some people were looking for camera recommendations, I used this on my NMAutomotive unit and it works great even comes with a drill bit for the install. The picture quality in both low and normal light are OEM quality and no P-car tax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...72.m2749.l2649
Old 07-12-2020, 09:40 AM
romaro36
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for installer in Florida.

Does anyone know of a audio shop capable of doing this carplay retrofit kit install in the Orlando/Jacksonville area?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1