Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 05:21 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I look at it from this angle.

​​​​​I drive a, Porsche. I want the best for my Porsche. I have no problem spending about $100 more for a proven superior product or service. This, as is in all things, be it tires, suspension, engine components, and yes wireless connectivity. I understand this changes when larger sums of money are involved but this is not the case.

Even base models with no amp have much better sound quality, so ALL pcm models benefits. Over the last 2 years having had vehicles here side be side with all the varying brands and clones at the shop really made the decision for me to support the Mr12Volt.

The additional box is a moot point. The amount of harness behind the pcm that has to be stuffed somewhere is the same for all brands. Every vehicle we sell for has space to put the box, and it's usually within a foot or so of the pcm. If you are unsure where, just ask. No one had every posted "bought the kit but the box it does not fit". This is couch engineering from people who bought a different kit and does not represent the thousands who fit the equipment just fine.
Thanks for the install today, Roman. The Mr12Volt system is first class, and my 150-mile trip home was awesome. The sound quality was superb from the unit when streaming music via CarPlay. Even Sirius/XM on the phone app, which works great with CarPlay sounds much richer with greater bandwidth than the satellite signal through the PCM 3.1.

I really like the fact that all the PCM functionality remains because I value keeping all the OEM systems intact, even if I'll be using CarPlay 90+% of the time. The Mr12Volt option is a fantastic upgrade without taking anything OEM away.

Lastly, after watching today where you put the "extra box" that so many complain about, I understand your amusement. It couldn't have been simpler, with ample room under the dash.

It really felt liberating to retire my iPhone holder today. That was so 2014.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-28-2023 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
CarreraFahrer (06-23-2024), ZedZed (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 06:16 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
How about a link to the HU you’re using?

DaveGee
Dave it's the same unit Zed and I linked to earlier in the thread. This is what it looks like installed. Very clean and updated. The screen is miles ahead of the 3.1 PCM in terms of appearance and response. For a relatively inexpensive upgrade, it really updates the interior and user experience of the entertainment system. Now if I could only get the reverse camera working lol

The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:56 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Dave it's the same unit Zed and I linked to earlier in the thread. This is what it looks like installed. Very clean and updated. The screen is miles ahead of the 3.1 PCM in terms of appearance and response. For a relatively inexpensive upgrade, it really updates the interior and user experience of the entertainment system. Now if I could only get the reverse camera working lol

Looks totally terrific!!
Old 11-29-2023, 02:04 PM
thait84
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks @Foosh ! I've been looking through this entire thread and (especially that post) and I decided on solution 3. I just wasn't sure which "Aftermarket Android HU" people seemed to choose. I'm also spending time researching how to add a rear cam so hopefully can do that in one go to. (Possibly also a dash cam too since some interior panels will already be popped off)

It seems like @ZedZed and @Live Steam both chose this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt

I wish there was a wiki page to summarize all the info we've found so we can keep it up to date.

Last edited by thait84; 11-29-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Add details
Foosh (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 02:30 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 252 Posts

Yep, that post by @ZedZed was the decider for me too. It really depends upon what each person's priorities are, and keeping the OEM look and capability, while adding CarPlay with enhanced audio quality was the decider for me.

I am totally thrilled with the Mr12Volt solution.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-29-2023 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
thait84 (11-29-2023), ZedZed (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 04:38 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, definitely, the pioneering work done by @Zed-Zed and many others really helps making informed decisions. A huge thanks to everybody who contributed. The good news is that there is a spectrum of solutions and one can chouse based on personal priorities/preferences.

Based on the information in this thread, I installed the Isudar solution in my wife's 2016 Macan S last Saturday. She wants to keep the original PCM and the car has the standard audio. I also like the simplicity of having to install a single board in the PCM and be done.

The delivery was fast (less than one week), the price is fair, and it took me less than two hours to complete the installation. Very easy putting together the information in this thread and the Isudar install manual. In fact, a fair part of the time spent was dealing with managing to position the wiring behind the PCM to be able to re-install the PCM without damaging anything. The Macan is really tied behind the PCM, and I was happy to have to deal only with the wiring.

So far, very happy with the solution, works flawlessly and Android Auto is really a major improvement versus the factory PCM. No issues with Wi-Fi and BT connections, our Pixel 7 Pro’s (Android 14) connect and disconnect from the Isudar board when we get to the car and reconnect to the home Wi-Fi when we walk out of the car into the house. The OEM rear camera is correctly engaged when in reverse and the parking sensors work just fine. Switching in and out of AA and the base PCM is easy and fast.

Regarding the sound, it may be because the Macan has only the base audio, but if anything, I would say that the quality of the sound has improved thanks to the great EQ provided in the Isudar solution. Also, as many have stated, the interior of a car is not conductive to impeccable audio so, so far, wife is happy (and so do I).

I also ordered the same unit than @ZedZed and @Live Steam for my 911.1. For me, replacing the full PCM unit with a more modern system that is faster, has a better screen and is not only providing AA but also what seems to be a full-blown Android system outweigh losing some of the PCM functionality that I only use rarely if at all. The fact that the look on the new unit seems to be very well integrated with the rest of the dashboard is also important. The car has Bose, and I may lose some marginal audio quality but again, as others have stated, considering the environment and that part of the enjoyment of driving a 911 is to hear the engine and exhaust noise, not worried at this point.

I ordered the antenna adapters and optical adapter recommended by @Zed-Zed and I also ordered the Natika camera for the rear. My car is a PDK so I’m optimistic that I will not have to deal with rear camera issues. We will see.

Again, big thanks to all who contributed to this thread for the valuable information on the many solutions.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chuck245:
Ahmad310 (12-01-2023), Live Steam (11-29-2023), ZedZed (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 04:45 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 991.1 CarPlay

This guy on YouTube has a good install video for 991.1 Also, since he made this video, he has later one so just search Auto Amateur in YouTube.
docskeet (12-03-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:08 PM
thait84
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck245
Yes, definitely, the pioneering work done by @Zed-Zed and many others really helps making informed decisions. A huge thanks to everybody who contributed. The good news is that there is a spectrum of solutions and one can chouse based on personal priorities/preferences.

Based on the information in this thread, I installed the Isudar solution in my wife's 2016 Macan S last Saturday. She wants to keep the original PCM and the car has the standard audio. I also like the simplicity of having to install a single board in the PCM and be done.

The delivery was fast (less than one week), the price is fair, and it took me less than two hours to complete the installation. Very easy putting together the information in this thread and the Isudar install manual. In fact, a fair part of the time spent was dealing with managing to position the wiring behind the PCM to be able to re-install the PCM without damaging anything. The Macan is really tied behind the PCM, and I was happy to have to deal only with the wiring.

So far, very happy with the solution, works flawlessly and Android Auto is really a major improvement versus the factory PCM. No issues with Wi-Fi and BT connections, our Pixel 7 Pro’s (Android 14) connect and disconnect from the Isudar board when we get to the car and reconnect to the home Wi-Fi when we walk out of the car into the house. The OEM rear camera is correctly engaged when in reverse and the parking sensors work just fine. Switching in and out of AA and the base PCM is easy and fast.

Regarding the sound, it may be because the Macan has only the base audio, but if anything, I would say that the quality of the sound has improved thanks to the great EQ provided in the Isudar solution. Also, as many have stated, the interior of a car is not conductive to impeccable audio so, so far, wife is happy (and so do I).

I also ordered the same unit than @ZedZed and @Live Steam for my 911.1. For me, replacing the full PCM unit with a more modern system that is faster, has a better screen and is not only providing AA but also what seems to be a full-blown Android system outweigh losing some of the PCM functionality that I only use rarely if at all. The fact that the look on the new unit seems to be very well integrated with the rest of the dashboard is also important. The car has Bose, and I may lose some marginal audio quality but again, as others have stated, considering the environment and that part of the enjoyment of driving a 911 is to hear the engine and exhaust noise, not worried at this point.

I ordered the antenna adapters and optical adapter recommended by @Zed-Zed and I also ordered the Natika camera for the rear. My car is a PDK so I’m optimistic that I will not have to deal with rear camera issues. We will see.

Again, big thanks to all who contributed to this thread for the valuable information on the many solutions.
It seems like you and I are on the same journey! I'm ordering everything now and will try to put together everything after the holidays in January. I hope everything goes smoothly for you too!

It is nice to hear your feedback on both the Isudar solution and also the aftermarket headunit once you have it in.
The following 2 users liked this post by thait84:
Ahmad310 (12-01-2023), Chuck245 (12-02-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:25 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thait84
It seems like you and I are on the same journey! I'm ordering everything now and will try to put together everything after the holidays in January. I hope everything goes smoothly for you too!

It is nice to hear your feedback on both the Isudar solution and also the aftermarket headunit once you have it in.
Thanks, thait84. Regarding the Isudar solution, I think that a lot of people in this thread and other threads in this forum have greatly contributed to make the solution robust and as good as it is today.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the Macan PCM has the satellite radio board that requires longer studs.
I used the studs provided in the Isudar kit but if completely screwed together, they still too short to completely clear the satellite antenna connector. Isudar provides long and shorter ones. One long and one short together for each attachment of the board to the PCM.
Solution was to either use longer studs (ZedZed pointed to a great stud kit at Amazon) or to not completely screw the long to the shorter stud as both the top and bottom studs are anyway locked on both the PCM frame and the Isudar board sides. No risks that they unscrew and that the board get louse.
In my case, the total length of the studs without counting the threaded part that goes in the holes in the PCM frame was 47 mm. This length cleared the antenna connector and avoided to bend the Isudar board over the connector. Never a good thing to bend a PCB. I suspect that others may need more or less stud length but not very far from this value.
Regarding the new unit for the 911, should arrive mid-December and I can't wait to install it. On the meantime, will be reading others experience with this unit as it seems that there are several installations in progress. Good luck to everybody.
ZedZed (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 08:09 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thait84
Thanks @Foosh ! I've been looking through this entire thread and (especially that post) and I decided on solution 3. I just wasn't sure which "Aftermarket Android HU" people seemed to choose. I'm also spending time researching how to add a rear cam so hopefully can do that in one go to. (Possibly also a dash cam too since some interior panels will already be popped off)

It seems like @ZedZed and @Live Steam both chose this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt

I wish there was a wiki page to summarize all the info we've found so we can keep it up to date.
There's been some great feedback in the last several posts! That was indeed the unit I installed in my wife's Cayman (and Live Steam in his 911). I think one glance at Live Steam's terrific photo shows how well this unit integrates and looks. My unit came from the store in your link - there are many others selling this unit, but that was the cheapest seller I could find. Their comms can be a bit patchy, but they came through in the end and I could not be happier with the result. Forget about support from these sellers - they try hard, but my experience has been that they don't know very much about the stuff they are selling. Everyone considering going this route can get all the support they will need right here in this thread.

A word of warning. I have been helping another member, via PM, install a different unit and after all his hard work figuring out all the connections etc, he came to install it and the fit is really, really bad. His unit is similar to the Krando unit mentioned some pages back, and that had a bad fit too. It is the unit with no physical control *****. I can see the appeal of that, but the tried and tested unit that several of us have opted for is the one Live Steam and I installed. We can promise you that you will have a good experience with that unit and, although there are numerous choices, this is the only unit I can totally recommend, with hand on heart. Please note that I have NO connections at all with the manufacturers or the sellers.

This thread is fantastic, with so many people willing to share and to support each other. A great example of the internet working for everyone's benefit, instead of, as so often is the case, the other way around.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
Chuck245 (11-30-2023), Foosh (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:23 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^

I may have inadvertently done Krando an injustice in the post above. @Sidvicious7 installed a Krando unit which fits perfectly in his 911. I could have sworn the unit which didn't fit was a Krando, but I may have gotten this wrong - my bad if so. A search back through the thread will find the ill-fitting unit.

EDIT:
Here it is - found it. It was a Krando unit, but not the unit Sid installed. The ill-fitting unit was the one with ***** and @Live Steam was the member who bought it. Here's the link so you guys know which to avoid:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post18989998

For the avoidance of doubt, Live Steam has since fitted the same one I fitted to our Cayman, and he is very happy with it. Pic of his install a few posts back. Sid fitted a Krando unit, but the one without *****, and that fitted properly and Sid is also happy with his unit. The one to avoid is the Krando with *****.

EDIT 2:

For the sake of completeness and ease of reference, here is the link to Sid's post about his Krando unit:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post18938058

Apologies if my earlier post confused anyone.

Last edited by ZedZed; 12-02-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:30 AM
Carlinklife
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you make it the best gift for Christmas
Provide the best price of
$259 in December.
Use discount code "DEC100" to get a discount of $100
Provides two-year warranty.

link:Wireless CarPlay Android Auto for Porsche 911 Boxster Cayman Macan Cayenne Panamera

Version 2 Improvements:

– Improved PCM3.1 specific screen resolution
– Wireless Android Auto is now supported
– No need for a separate microphone for Siri or Google Assistant, now works through the original car microphone
– less complicated wiring
– CarPlay will work in-sync with the headlight switch to adjust CarPlay map day/night mode

Features of our kit:

– Wired/Wireless Apple CarPlay
– Wired/Wireless Android Auto
– Easy control with vehicles built-in controls + Touch-Screen
– Porsche Burmester Stereo option will be compatible with our kit
– Sound is played through the vehicle’s original AUX sound source
– If your vehicle has original Rear View/Surround View cameras, those will continue working the same way
– This module can be extended with Front/Rear view camera (if your vehicle didn’t come with those originally from the factory)
– The installation is completely plug & play and 100% reversible.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:42 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by spwjr
try Maestro not sure if they have something for Porsche but installed on my Toyota and worked great
Yeah, no Porsche adapter. At least the last time I looked, it's been a while, so that could have changed I guess.

Originally Posted by ZedZed
The aftermarket HUs I have seen all have steering wheel control built-in. You just pick the controls you want to enable in settings (eg volume up/down) and pair them with the steering wheel buttons by just pressing each one in turn. Works via the Canbus.
Maybe the Android units do, but Alpine/Pioneer/etc don't. OR didn't when I researched this two years ago.
There's no world where I'm putting an Android head unit in a car I have to live with day to day. Too many poor experiences in the past with them.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:50 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

So I installed the isudar unit last night & used it on a longish-drive across Houston & back today. It works. Having navigation & Spotify on the main screen is very, very nice. Install is easy if you're DIY savvy & have some tools. I think you need to drop the glove box in a 991 to find space for the wiring harnesses - trying to do it otherwise will result in nothing but frustration in my experience.

I have a high-end custom amp, DSP & speaker setup in my car, and the audio quality is acceptable. It doesn't sound the same to me as something played via an MP3 off the Jukebox, or a CD, or even streamed Bluetooth, but I'm positive I can use the DSP in my amp to tune it exactly how I like. And the equalizer in the ISUDAR board is there to play with it as well, but I won't use it.

I have one complaint & a question. The image on the screen "flickers" and tears occasionally. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't see this on the main PCM screens, just when using Carplay. I can try to get a video of this if nobody else has seen it. At first I thought it may be a bad cable connection or some sort of EM interference, but the fact that I only see it using Carplay makes me think it could be a software/firmware issue.

Second, how do you turn off the backup camera? I don't have a camera, the unit goes into a black screen when I put the car in reverse - and for the life of me, I can't find the setting.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:29 AM
zuluman23
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to get an older Boxster, but I really want CarPlay.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1