Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mine does not do that.
Interesting, would be nice if I can find a fix, but I’m not really sure what it could be.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mine does not do that.
I spoke to joyeauto, they confirmed that my observation is accurate, and there is no fix. They said a workaround is to mute the Nav.

I wonder if the nmautomotive one does this?
Old 04-16-2020, 02:43 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

I would bet the nmautomotive unit is the exact same Chinese unit in Joyeauto. I think you're buying their support. I just use the touch screen so never had this issue. Too bad the touch screen on the 991.1 PCM units are not super responsive compared to the 991.2 PCM units. Swiping left and right between the Carplay screens is a struggle.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
I would bet the nmautomotive unit is the exact same Chinese unit in Joyeauto. I think you're buying their support. I just use the touch screen so never had this issue. Too bad the touch screen on the 991.1 PCM units are not super responsive compared to the 991.2 PCM units. Swiping left and right between the Carplay screens is a struggle.
Yes I expect so too.
Joyeauto support has been fantastic anyways. I’ve been able to talk via WhatsApp, sending pictures and videos, and the contact either has answer or checks with their “engineer” (expert) to come back with good responses. Been able to get support in my UK hours too.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Jimkorn
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What tools are needed to perform Joyeauto upgrade?

Hi, My first post.
I would like to know what tools are required to install a Joyeauto upgrade to my PCM 3.1 in my 2015 911 Turbo S. I would need tools to remove dash, front bumper for camera and others I suppose. Any help?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimkorn
Hi, My first post.
I would like to know what tools are required to install a Joyeauto upgrade to my PCM 3.1 in my 2015 911 Turbo S. I would need tools to remove dash, front bumper for camera and others I suppose. Any help?
You only need a basic trim removal set from eBay and a torx bit set for the PCM part. Some towels to cover the gear lever and AC control unit. Zip ties are useful to tidy cables up. I can’t comment on the camera installation, didn’t do that.
The following users liked this post:
Jimkorn (04-16-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Kirei911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Joy-E Auto kit is great and a simple install. I was able to install in my 991.1 C2S in about 2 hours. Highly recommended.
The following users liked this post:
Jimkorn (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:00 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

I think both are easy to install, the JoyE and NM Auto. I did the NM one over the weekend and have tested both my Android and Apple phone. So far, works as expected. Nick was quick to respond to a few questions I had after the install.

I'd like to hear some feedback on mic location to help out on the conf call effect.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

I've done a ton of work on the audio system of my 911, and I'm technically competent enough to install this mod with my eyes closed. I've almost pulled the trigger several times. But what does it really get me that Bluetooth streaming doesn't for day to day use? I think just the ability to see Waze or Google Maps on the PCM screen. I'm not sure what else I'd really care about.

And when I think about it like that, my enthusiasm for it goes down quickly.

People who have done the mod - please educate me if I'm missing some killer use case here. I have CarPlay in other cars so I'm not sure I am, but maybe I'm missing something cool.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:56 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

For Apple user the ability to connect automatically with no wires. Yes, same as you get with Carplay in other car. Its really being able to control, map, youtube music, Tidal and other carplay apps... with your PCM screen.

Thats what im experience so far..nothing magical

Old 04-21-2020, 03:02 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
I've done a ton of work on the audio system of my 911, and I'm technically competent enough to install this mod with my eyes closed. I've almost pulled the trigger several times. But what does it really get me that Bluetooth streaming doesn't for day to day use? I think just the ability to see Waze or Google Maps on the PCM screen. I'm not sure what else I'd really care about.

People who have done the mod - please educate me if I'm missing some killer use case here. I have CarPlay in other cars so I'm not sure I am, but maybe I'm missing something cool.
One of the reasons I haven’t gone for this upgrade is I have my phone on a Rennline magnetic mount to the right of the PDK shifter and it’s angled so perfectly for me it feels like having a 3rd screen. I just use Google Maps directly there it works well for me.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to do it, but was not sure. Anytime I use the factory Nav, I'm pissed. It's so hard to find anything, and it's so tedious to put in any address. Fumbling to get phone out to find the address to input into the NAV. In my other car, I can send any address to the NAV, so when I start it up, I get the destination. Anyway, being able to use the Apple Nav/Google is simply great! Also being able to use Seri to send text while driving, and having her read text is great. Also the CarPlay really updates the look of the factory radio. I find everything is much easier to use. Then you can also stream music, through Pandora, Spotify and even Sat radio.

There are also tools in the unit that give you a graphic EQ and other sound shaping tools that help tune the sound. Everything is effortless once you set it all up. I find myself not using anything on the factory radio anymore, and doing everything through CarPlay.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

1. Auto connect wirelessly
2. Better than PCM nav, which is old outdated and hard to use
3. Siri to respond to texts and phone calls, even to set up the navigation. If you have addresses for your contacts, you can say “directions to Johns house”. Or “take me to closest McDonald’s”. You don’t even need to put addresses this way.
4. Direct Spotify integration on the PCM screen, for me this is killer
5. CarPlay apps like TuneIn radio give me DAB without DAB PCM unit
6. It’s just better overall, easier to use and navigate, I don’t need to take my phone out my pocket, which is great since there’s nowhere to put it!

Basically makes PCM redundant, and is better in all ways. It also just looks class, and gives the cabin a proper modern vibe.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:17 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
One of the reasons I haven’t gone for this upgrade is I have my phone on a Rennline magnetic mount to the right of the PDK shifter and it’s angled so perfectly for me it feels like having a 3rd screen. I just use Google Maps directly there it works well for me.
Same thing. And generally I'm streaming BT music, so I get Waze or Google Maps lady talking to me via audio as well...
Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Same thing. And generally I'm streaming BT music, so I get Waze or Google Maps lady talking to me via audio as well...
My problem with the rennline is that it looks messy regardless of how neat they made it. It doesn’t look “stock”, I’m fussy XD

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1