Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020 | 11:37 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tache
Did you go into the JoyAuto settings and turn on Bluetooth AND then connect from the Joyeauto settings to the iPhone? I tried to connect via the iPhone and it would not work. That is what I had to do, which was counterintuitive.
I've tried a lot lol. Are you saying to turn on BT (which is a different menu item than Bluetooth) or go to Bluetooth menu and click paired device (or discover)?
Old 07-13-2020 | 03:43 PM
Tache
AutoX

Originally Posted by dkfx
I've tried a lot lol. Are you saying to turn on BT (which is a different menu item than Bluetooth) or go to Bluetooth menu and click paired device (or discover)?
Hope this helps ....

0 - Before you start, delete any Bluetooth connections on your iPhone
1 - start CarPlay, and goto the Porsche icon for the Joyeauto
2 - goto Joyeauto settings
3 - Select "Bluetooth", red arrow
4 - Select Discover.
5 - On your iPhone, go to Settings, then Bluetooth ... this puts your phone into searching mode ... Don't try to start the pairing via the iPhone to the Joyeauto
6 - Go back to Joyeauto Bluetooth, select your iPhone to do the pairing ... You have to approve via the dialog on the iPhone.

Note, if you do not have the ability to start a pair, as in the "Discover" option is not selectable, turn on Bluetooth on the "BT" pane, denoted by the yellow arrow.

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:32 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

For burmester there is a fiber optic cable that needs to be moved I understand. Others have mentioned it as orange. No orange cable in the hardness. Can anyone provide an image or the position of the cable (single double?) and where FROM and TO it needs to go. Symptom is no sound on any source so likely the culprit. Don't want to go blind moving cables. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2020 | 09:34 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
For burmester there is a fiber optic cable that needs to be moved I understand. Others have mentioned it as orange. No orange cable in the hardness. Can anyone provide an image or the position of the cable (single double?) and where FROM and TO it needs to go. Symptom is no sound on any source so likely the culprit. Don't want to go blind moving cables. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The MOST fiber optic is present on both bose and burmester, as you point out it sends the audio information to the external burmester or bose amp. When you look at the connector that comes from your car, there are four circular holes in the corner. This is the MOST connector. Usually two of the holes are empty and two are occupied. These two are in a plastic connector, and if you look at the connecttor from the back (the wire side) you can see a little latch you can press with a screwdriver to slide it out. Simply move this connector from the car harness to the joyeauto harness that goes into the PCM in the exact same position. In this photo it's the bottom right corner of the right connector. It will only go in one way as the connector is keyed.
Old 07-14-2020 | 09:38 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

So helpful! Got it done as you suggest. all set. Phew. Had actually tried this earlier but I think my internal wiring was loose and redid them all.

Thank you so much!!!
This is what a thriving community looks like.

My optical wires were GREEN
(2015 Turbo s)
Old 07-20-2020 | 06:38 PM
P911T
Advanced

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy the CarPlay unit for my 991.1 here in the US. Where can I purchase and which model so you recommended?
Old 07-20-2020 | 06:42 PM
osunick
Racer

Everyone else has gone Joyeauto. I went with the Networkwws unit from naviplus for both my 991 and 958. I have no complaints. Android Auto and Carplay work great. On the 991 I use the factory USB port in the glovebox.

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...kage-p91428805
Old 07-20-2020 | 06:44 PM
P911T
Advanced

Originally Posted by osunick
Everyone else has gone Joyeauto. I went with the Networkwws unit from naviplus for both my 991 and 958. I have no complaints. Android Auto and Carplay work great. On the 991 I use the factory USB port in the glovebox.

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...kage-p91428805
Thx mate, any resellers in the US?
Do both units provide wireless carplay?
Old 07-20-2020 | 06:53 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Just put in 2 joyeauto in my two 991.1s. First one took 2 hrs second one closer to five has I had to retrace my steps. Overal the package is solid and works. Directions from manufacturer is atrocious but many tutorials and videos. Would recommend you watch research it all before unscrewing a single bolt. You don't want to do research in the middle. But once done big benefits. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
P911T (07-23-2020)
Old 07-20-2020 | 06:59 PM
P911T
Advanced

Does this look correct?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H8Q7HN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=joyeauto&qid=1595282407&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H8Q7HN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=joyeauto&qid=1595282407&sr=8-1
Old 07-20-2020 | 07:01 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Yeah that the one and looks like sold by them.

If you buy it directly same price and about four working days from China by DHL. See how that compares.
Old 07-20-2020 | 07:01 PM
P911T
Advanced

cheaper on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...archweb201603_
Old 07-21-2020 | 10:50 AM
Tache
AutoX

Originally Posted by P911T
Thx mate, any resellers in the US?
Do both units provide wireless carplay?
I did JoyeAuto, does wireless CarPlay
https://www.joyeauto.com/category/po...play-solution/
Old 07-21-2020 | 10:56 AM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

I did JoyeAuto, does wireless CarPlay
https://www.joyeauto.com/category/po...play-solution/
Correct but only with Apple. If you use Android like I do, you have to use the USB cable provided by Joyeauto in their cable loom. Apple = wireless Android = USB
Old 07-21-2020 | 12:09 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Hope this helps ....

0 - Before you start, delete any Bluetooth connections on your iPhone
1 - start CarPlay, and goto the Porsche icon for the Joyeauto
2 - goto Joyeauto settings
3 - Select "Bluetooth", red arrow
4 - Select Discover.
5 - On your iPhone, go to Settings, then Bluetooth ... this puts your phone into searching mode ... Don't try to start the pairing via the iPhone to the Joyeauto
6 - Go back to Joyeauto Bluetooth, select your iPhone to do the pairing ... You have to approve via the dialog on the iPhone.

Note, if you do not have the ability to start a pair, as in the "Discover" option is not selectable, turn on Bluetooth on the "BT" pane, denoted by the yellow arrow.

Thanks man!

I've done that and can't get it to pop up on my phone. If i plug it in it will ask if i want to use IDCORE as carplay when locked (I press yes) and then do you want to enable wireless car play (i press yes). it still only works with a cable, though when I unplug, I can go to paired devices and see my phone. I then press 'wifi car play' and it just says connecting and never actually connects. I've tried another joyeauto box and it works fine with wireless, so I think I just have a bad unit.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1