Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 05:33 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
I also wish that I could program the hard buttons to launch the specific apps I want launched. I did not see anything about that in the guide, but thought I vaguely remembered something from the thread. However my thread search did not turn anything up.t
Currently only the NAV button can be assigned - someone tried an app from the XDA thread on 7862 units, but it didn't work. Its a bit frustrating but typical of these Chinese units where the final 5% of effort would make all the difference
Old 08-03-2024, 05:53 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Does anyone out there have an iPhone connected to their CHSTEK to help @jadski with his first time setup?

I have an Android phone so can't help with anything specific.

That said, I did notice in the settings:
>Device>USB Device Start
With the options None and Carlink and the help text says "Application to start when USB device is connected​" - it's worth checking that Carlink is set to start up with you head unit. If it is not you probably need to reboot to ensure the setting takes effect

Also having done a quick search, there are lots of issues reported with CarPlay workking on earlier versions of iOS17 - looks like this broke things for a lot of folks. Seems like from v17.2 onwards things improved

Old 08-03-2024, 07:56 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Well… I was connected to my home network so I could download the vivid launcher and a few other apps.

I disconnected everything and unplugged the power supply to the unit and forgot the android unit from Bluetooth and CarPlay on phone.

I then plugged it back up and went through the CarPlay process with the car’s usb and an apple cable. No CarPlay. I tried the same thing with my wife’s phone…no CarPlay. I then tried connecting each phone with wireless CarPlay again. Still no luck. I was thinking about removing the fuse and trying again unless you guys have any other thoughts.
This is odd. These units definitely work with Carplay, so it has to be a setting somewhere. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Apple, so can only suggest generic stuff. Someone with the same unit and an iPhone might care to chime in? I would go through all the settings in the HU and the phone carefully to see if there is something disabled that needs to be enabled - especially in the phone's Carplay settings. Also, with Android phones, we have to have a 'bridge' app running - I believe this is Zlink in my cars. I assume that Carplay needs something similar, so check that you have the app (maybe it is also Zlink?) and that it is running. Also, once you have identified the bridge app and checked that it is correctly installed, see if you can find a setting which forces the app to start with the car. You can always start it manually (the phone won;t connect without it here) but it's obviously better to have it start automatically. The Zlink app isn't available on the Google Play Store - you will need to download and install the apk (Google for it). I don't know how you run apks on Apple devices, but you may have to give the phone permission to run 'non-authorised' apps. Is that even possible with Apple?

I am 100% sure that we will get this working. It may be just a matter of trial and error, but Carplay will work with your HU.

Nice job on the installation BTW.

EDIT - sorry - I just realised that the Zlink app needs to run on the HU, not your phone, so ignore what I said about iPhones and apks. What you need to do is connect your HU to the internet, then open your browser and google 'Zlink apk'. This will take you to a link ZLINK for Android. Follow that link and you will be able to download Zlink. If Zlink is for Android Auto only (as I say, I know zip about Apple stuff), then you will need to find the Carplay equivalent. I am sure someone will be able to help you with that.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-03-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2024, 08:15 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^^
I just checked in my Panamera, and if I open Zlink, it says on screen that it is looking for Android Auto or Carplay, so I am guessing Zlink is what you need. As you haven't mentioned Zlink, I am assuming you don't have it, so follow the steps above to install it. If it is already installed, locate it in your app drawer on the HU and try running it manually and see if it then connects to the iPhone wirelessly. I am also assuming that you have Carplay turned on in the iPhone settings (I recall someone saying you do need to physically enable Carplay on the phone before you can use it).
Old 08-03-2024, 08:44 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Its the Carlink app on the Chstek, does the same job as zlink

Check it is enabled when your HU starts per my message above
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I just got the manual for remove the existing nothing about installing airplay

I will keep searching for the apple CarPlay install the workshop manual I have has the basic removal and other workshop steps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11623282388...mis&media=COPY

Removing the existing
Old 08-03-2024, 09:39 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Its the Carlink app on the Chstek, does the same job as zlink

Check it is enabled when your HU starts per my message above
If Carlink isn't working for him, maybe Zlink might? Zlink is an Android app so it will run on his HU with no problems. Maybe worth a try?
Pkcayenne (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 09:41 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pkcayenne
I will keep searching for the apple CarPlay install the workshop manual I have has the basic removal and other workshop steps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11623282388...mis&media=COPY

Removing the existing
You can't install Carplay or AA on the PCM 3.1 without an additional add-in circuit board such as the one Isudar make, so it won't be in the workshop manual.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:55 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
If Carlink isn't working for him, maybe Zlink might? Zlink is an Android app so it will run on his HU with no problems. Maybe worth a try?
Yep, worth a try, but we should be able to get Carlink working...
Old 08-03-2024, 09:59 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions about Carlink and Zlink. I’m going to pull the fuse today to do a full reboot, then I’ll try Andy’s suggestion first since it’s already installed and if that doesn’t work, then try Zed’s suggestion.

I think it’s a HU issue since CarPlay works well on all my other vehicles and my wife’s phone won’t connect either.
Old 08-03-2024, 10:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the suggestions about Carlink and Zlink. I’m going to pull the fuse today to do a full reboot, then I’ll try Andy’s suggestion first since it’s already installed and if that doesn’t work, then try Zed’s suggestion.

I think it’s a HU issue since CarPlay works well on all my other vehicles and my wife’s phone won’t connect either.
That seems to point to Carlink not being enabled on the HU then. IDK what the differences are between Carlink and Zlink, if any - I have only ever used Zlink and it has always 'just worked'. But it does seem that some sort of 'bridging' app is needed.
Old 08-03-2024, 11:06 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

One of the head unit manufacturers "Mekede" offers much more professional support and they have what's likely to be the latest version of Carlink on their downloads page here
Support / Software Download Address (mekede.com)

I would use this as a very last resort though as we should be able to get your unit working and if you upgrade to the later Carlink and find it's not compatible you might not be able to get the old one back without doing a full factory reset

Have you gone into the Carlink app to see if it is telling you anything?
Pkcayenne (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 11:15 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you try update all the services and apps from the "App Store" (not play store)?
ZedZed (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 12:30 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Boot animnation updated

I successfully updated my boot animation file to get rid of the Android logo on startup, My HU now boots up to the Carrera S silhouette followed by a nice Porsche logo with a subtle glow animation.

Its easy enough to do and is very briefly mentioned at the back of the guide. I will do a fuller write up as you need to run a backup script to extract the updater file. I think you can also update the boot logo at the same time.

Here are a few pics of my startup sequence of: logo > animation > Agama launcher

Apologies for the huge reflection in the pics and its a shame I can't post a video here, but you get the idea!
The following 3 users liked this post by andy2111:
drawz (08-03-2024), StanfordBear (08-03-2024), ZedZed (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 12:38 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Nicely done!
andy2111 (08-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1