Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 01:42 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I have Bose and everything is working so I guess I don’t need those aux connections.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, my factory camera is working right out of the box. I connected the CAM VIN yellow connector from the wiring harness to the yellow male connector from the HU

The following users liked this post:
bmxtreme (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 01:49 PM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have also ordered the 7862 CHSTEK, let's see how long it takes to get to my part of the world. Has anyone tried a 3rd party TPMS with the CHSTEK yet?
Old 08-02-2024, 02:03 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
I have Bose and everything is working so I guess I don’t need those aux connections.

Also, my factory camera is working right out of the box. I connected the CAM VIN yellow connector from the wiring harness to the yellow male connector from the HU

Awesome, well done and so good to prove the theory that connecting the factory camera in that way would work! I'll add to the next version of the guide
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:04 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
I have also ordered the 7862 CHSTEK, let's see how long it takes to get to my part of the world. Has anyone tried a 3rd party TPMS with the CHSTEK yet?
Yes, the Erisin tpms works well. Documentation in the guide
Old 08-02-2024, 02:04 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I am wondering if the need to remove the fuse is due to the Canbus module being powered on indefinitely? Does anyone have pictures of how the canbus is wired? Wish I have taken some pictures.
I don't think the canbus is powered indefinitely, but Porsches take 20 minutes or more to 'go to sleep' after the ignition key is removed. What probably happens if you just disconnect the quadlock is that the canbus remains powered until the car shuts down. Pulling the PCM fuse will obviously shut down the head unit completely, forcing a full boot process when the fuse is reconnected. I imagine you'd get the same effect if you disconnected the quadlock, waited 20 minutes and then tried again. Either way, the safest reboot option is to pull the PCM fuse. I still wait for about 30-40 seconds before reinsterting the fuse in case there is some sort of stored energy that needs to drain.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:07 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Is your car manual or auto? Auto cars seem to work out of the box (so long as the correct wires are connected). Manual cars need camera power from the blue/black wire under the left side seat.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:11 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
I think the unit itself is probably sound and functionally similar to the Erisin and Chstek. But... IMHO those rotary ***** are just plain fugly and don't compliment the car at all. I guess it's the same as anything else that's subjective rather than objective, but that unit just screams to me that it's after market and doesn't look in keeping with interior of the car at all ...
I am inclined to agree. IMO the nicest looking of all is the CHSTEK, which has a big screen, proper *****, OEM-like buttons and a bezel that matches the rest of the interior trim.

The Isudar unit seems to have a shiny black bezel, which in itself would put me off buying it, even if it offered additional functionality.

CHSTEK

ISUDAR

Old 08-02-2024, 02:15 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed;[url=tel:19577233
19577233[/url]]Is your car manual or auto? Auto cars seem to work out of the box (so long as the correct wires are connected). Manual cars need camera power from the blue/black wire under the left side seat.
my car is 2015 Macan turbo PDK
Old 08-02-2024, 02:22 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

I followed the guide and used CarPlay from my iPhone to connect to the HU. CarPlay has not launched. My Bluetooth shows connected I can make calls and play music through Bluetooth but I would like for CarPlay to work. Any suggestions?

CarPlay

Bluetooth connection
Old 08-02-2024, 02:31 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

my car is 2015 Macan turbo PDK
Thanks. I guessed as much. Auto cars seem to work fine with OEM cameras. It's the manuals that need that extra bit of wiring.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:35 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I followed the guide and used CarPlay from my iPhone to connect to the HU. CarPlay has not launched. My Bluetooth shows connected I can make calls and play music through Bluetooth but I would like for CarPlay to work. Any suggestions?

CarPlay

Bluetooth connection
Your HU isn't connected to wifi is it? From memory, there's a section in the Guide that goes over this. Have you tried connecting with a cable first? First time needs a wire - connect to the ORIGINAL USB port of the car - NOT a USB from the new HU, or it won't work. As soon as you plug your phone into the OEM USB port, you should see CarPlay come up. Afterwards is should connect wirelessly with no trouble. Report back if this still doesn't work.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:46 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Well… I was connected to my home network so I could download the vivid launcher and a few other apps.

I disconnected everything and unplugged the power supply to the unit and forgot the android unit from Bluetooth and CarPlay on phone.

I then plugged it back up and went through the CarPlay process with the car’s usb and an apple cable. No CarPlay. I tried the same thing with my wife’s phone…no CarPlay. I then tried connecting each phone with wireless CarPlay again. Still no luck. I was thinking about removing the fuse and trying again unless you guys have any other thoughts.

I also plugged a usb flash drive into both usb ports to see if I could see the files through the file manager just to make sure that the usb cables and connections were all okay. I could see my files and I was able to change the boot screen to the Macan turbo silhouette and the vivid background to the Porsche crest thanks to the images posted in the guide.

Although this is more pertinent for Macan owners, I also encountered another unexpected issue. After getting everything hooked up, I assumed that the unit would easily fit into the opening of the Macan. I ordered the 7862e for 2013-2018 Porsche Macan, but it would not fit into place due to a plastic cross bar running across the opening where the back of the unit and wire harness plugs fit.

I decided to go ahead and cut the plastic since my original pcm was fried and there’s no going back now.

Thankfully, it then mounted up great and looks fantastic.

I hope to figure out the CarPlay issue,

I also wish that I could program the hard buttons to launch the specific apps I want launched. I did not see anything about that in the guide, but thought I vaguely remembered something from the thread. However my thread search did not turn anything up.

thanks again to all the community and for your support
Old 08-03-2024, 12:50 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Final install pics

Old 08-03-2024, 02:27 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Yes, the Erisin tpms works well. Documentation in the guide
Thanks, Andy, will make that the next upgrade
Old 08-03-2024, 05:30 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Although this is more pertinent for Macan owners, I also encountered another unexpected issue. After getting everything hooked up, I assumed that the unit would easily fit into the opening of the Macan. I ordered the 7862e for 2013-2018 Porsche Macan, but it would not fit into place due to a plastic cross bar running across the opening where the back of the unit and wire harness plugs fit.
Thanks for sharing your info and pics - I will add them to the guide - perhaps in a model specific section where we can detail applicable to specific vehicles.

Your final installation looks great!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1