Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 04:19 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

My car is manual which is what Isudar says is part of the problem. Below is a picture of the instructions they sent as to which wires to connect, and a second pic showing I did exactly what they instructed. As mentioned earlier once I did this the rear camera then started working, unfortunately it appears to have constant power and the radio thinks the rear camera needs to be shown at all times:

Old 08-01-2024, 04:26 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Hi everyone,

I’m excited to announce the publication of the CHSTEK 7862 installation and configuration guide.

This latest work builds on the foundations of our first guide, but now focusses specifically on the CHSTEK 7862 because it is (currently) the unit that everyone is buying and asking questions about.

There’s lots of new content to help first time installers and likely some info that existing CHSTEK users will find interesting, especially on settings and system menus. Highlights include:
  • Buying guidance
  • Tools and adapters required for the installation
  • Configuring Bose and SPP audio
  • Initial configuration and settings
  • Backup cameras for PDK and manual
  • Quick reference guide to all the system menus
  • And lots more..
There are a few items still to add, but please take a look and let us have your feedback.

If you see anything wrong or missing then please provide as much info as possible, including screenshots if applicable, to help minimise the workload in keeping the guide up to date.

Enjoy!

Andy2111 ZedZed and Ratt359

The CHSTEK 7862 guide can be found in the Guides folder here and in my signature below
Hmm, i don't know if this is a good idea. Unless you drive your car daily, you probably don't want to keep drawing power from your battery while the car is parked. If you search around, a bunch of people with these headunits are getting dead batteries because of this. I suggest people should keep it OFF instead of ON by default, and use ON if you don't mind the risk.
2.You want the car in the ACC sleep mode. please check below:
Old 08-01-2024, 04:28 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

and a couple more pics showing the radio installed and the backup camera functioning. Just a note in these pics I still have the protective film on the radio from shipping if it looks a little off, so you are aware.

The following 2 users liked this post by dav9515:
Porsche_nuts (08-01-2024), StanfordBear (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 04:41 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@dav9515 Thanks for the pics. Another question: Were you able to use the original factory GPS antenna & factory 4g/phone antenna? Did you need to separately purchase FAKRA C-SMA & FAKRA Z-SMA adapter cables?
Old 08-01-2024, 05:05 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dav9515
My car is manual which is what Isudar says is part of the problem. Below is a picture of the instructions they sent as to which wires to connect, and a second pic showing I did exactly what they instructed. As mentioned earlier once I did this the rear camera then started working, unfortunately it appears to have constant power and the radio thinks the rear camera needs to be shown at all times:

I would try to disconnect the red and pink wires from each other and connection the pink wire to the blue/black reverse wire that is in on the controller under the left seat. This will only power the pink backup/reverse wire when you are backing up. I would think that this will fix your camera issues.

The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 05:07 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Instead of bridging the 12v into it, I think you can just follow the same step the CHSTEk guys are doing by tapping/bridging into the blue/white wire under your seat?

edit: Opps, didn't see the same suggestion posted. That's more accurate.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-01-2024 at 05:13 PM.
ZedZed (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 05:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
Thanks so much for clarifying that! I just ordered the Isudar and look forward to giving it a try.
Do you have manual or PDK?
Old 08-01-2024, 06:10 PM
Jebco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay help...

Can you tell me what is a available to convert my 2013 991.1 with Burmeister amplifier to accept Carplay. Is this done with a new PCM 4 head Unit or a conversion box with Ribbon Cables, etc
Old 08-01-2024, 06:20 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
@dav9515 Thanks for the pics. Another question: Were you able to use the original factory GPS antenna & factory 4g/phone antenna? Did you need to separately purchase FAKRA C-SMA & FAKRA Z-SMA adapter cables?
I don't have either of those options in my car so can't answer that unfortunately.

On the other suggestion on using the Blue/white wire under the seat, the whole point of me getting Isudar instead of the Chstek was to have OEM camera integration without the need for additional wiring. If it doesn't work they way they say it should there's a good chance I just return it and get the Chstek for the larger screen while still having *****.

also wanted to clarify for everyone how Isudar runs their wiring since it seems it could work for any radio, they have their quadlock connector that goes to the OEM quadlock. From there it goes into their power connection that plugs into the back of the radio. Off of that they have taken the wire that brings in the back up camera signal and put an RCA cable on in their wiring harness provided. This RCA then plugs into the RCA in for the backup camera that plugs separately into the back of their radio. Picture attached

StanfordBear (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 06:23 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

I don't have either of those options in my car so can't answer that unfortunately.

On the other suggestion on using the Blue/white wire under the seat, the whole point of me getting Isudar instead of the Chstek was to have OEM camera integration without the need for additional wiring. If it doesn't work they way they say it should there's a good chance I just return it and get the Chstek for the larger screen while still having *****.

also wanted to clarify for everyone how Isudar runs their wiring since it seems it could work for any radio, they have their quadlock connector that goes to the OEM quadlock. From there it goes into their power connection that plugs into the back of the radio. Off of that they have taken the wire that brings in the back up camera signal and put an RCA cable on in their wiring harness provided. This RCA then plugs into the RCA in for the backup camera that plugs separately into the back of their radio. Picture attached

So this RCA male is exactly the same as what the CHSTEK unit comes with. So I guess our guess was correct that connecting this male RCA to any one of the RCA input will display the camera
Old 08-01-2024, 06:26 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

In theory I guess yes, would be great to see if someone could try it on the Chstek with OEM camera to find out. Apparently it also matters if you're PDK or Manual!
Old 08-01-2024, 06:30 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

In theory I guess yes, would be great to see if someone could try it on the Chstek with OEM camera to find out. Apparently it also matters if you're PDK or Manual!
Yeah PDK and Manual matters. If you read further back in this thread you'll notice the CHSTEK folks was trying to figure this out as well back then 😅
Old 08-01-2024, 06:51 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 91 Posts

Can you follow the male RCA that comes out of their quadlock connection, thru to the factory quadlock, and see exactly which Porsche wires they are connected to so that others that have the factory backup camera know which wires to tap an RCA connection to so they can use the factory camera with their Chstek unit?

If you have a manual transmission, I don't think any HU has a way to avoid tapping into the reverse light to signal the HU when you are in reverse. At least the above gives users an option to still use the factory camera. They just need to connect a signal wire, so the HU knows when you are in reverse.
Old 08-01-2024, 06:57 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

and a couple more pics showing the radio installed and the backup camera functioning. Just a note in these pics I still have the protective film on the radio from shipping if it looks a little off, so you are aware.

I think the unit itself is probably sound and functionally similar to the Erisin and Chstek. But... IMHO those rotary ***** are just plain fugly and don't compliment the car at all. I guess it's the same as anything else that's subjective rather than objective, but that unit just screams to me that it's after market and doesn't look in keeping with interior of the car at all ... Same as the erisin of which I bought two and spent ages on Aliexpress buying replacement ***** to make it look better.

That said I hope we can help resolve the technical issues to give people a choice depending on their preferences.

We're gonna need a volunteer to write an install guide for the Isudar!
Old 08-01-2024, 07:15 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

next time I'm in there and trouble shooting I'll try and chase the RCA wire to the quad box and see where it connects. Right now it's about 120 degrees in my garage and I'm done sweating for the day. stupid humidity!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1