Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 11:33 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Its a shame/frustrating that we may have to chose between having physical HU buttons and OEM backup camera.

No idea how these guys decide on their feature set, but it really wouldn't be hard for them to create a killer unit that did everything
Yes, agreed. They are frustratingly close, but not quite the cigar. For me, the Erisin unit is still performing brilliantly, has ***** and works with our aftermarket camera. Might be a different story of course if the Cayman had had an OEM cam. Maybe the Isudar will be the one that has the lot?
Old 07-29-2024, 02:02 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Yes, agreed. They are frustratingly close, but not quite the cigar. For me, the Erisin unit is still performing brilliantly, has ***** and works with our aftermarket camera. Might be a different story of course if the Cayman had had an OEM cam. Maybe the Isudar will be the one that has the lot?
I am quite confident the CAM-VIN rca if plugged into the one of the CVBS-IN-1/2 or the other RCA with wifi antenna will display the factory camera. Otherwise, I don't see a reason why they would tap into the quadlock CVBS pin out
Old 07-29-2024, 02:47 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Didn't someone with an OEM camera order a Chstek recently? Hopefully we can test your theory soon..
Old 07-30-2024, 01:03 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I saw a modded app on Xda which I might give a shot once I figure how to get a full backup of the firmware.

​​​​​​
I've been reading through the XDA mega thread on the 7862 powered head units - see post 5 for a script and full instructions on creating a firmware backup / restore. Restore option #2 is a bit more involved and risky if it is ever needed!
https://xdaforums.com/t/general-fyt-.../post-86349167

The thread also explains how to update the boot animation - I'd love to be able to replace the Android logo with the Porsche crest. First step is to perform the backup which will extact the required updater application that can subsequently be used to change the boot animation. I'll give this a go at the weekend if I am feeling brave.What could possibly go wrong... says the man who bought two Erisin units after he bricked the first when experimenting!
Old 07-30-2024, 01:11 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
@dav9515 Hey wondering if you received you Isudar unit or still in transit.
Also very curious what @dav9515 thinks about the Isudar head unit. I'm trying to make a final decision between the 7-inch Isudar console or the CHSTEK 7862e. Any feedback on the Isudar install and functionality would be highly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:10 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I've been reading through the XDA mega thread on the 7862 powered head units - see post 5 for a script and full instructions on creating a firmware backup / restore. Restore option #2 is a bit more involved and risky if it is ever needed!

The thread also explains how to update the boot animation - I'd love to be able to replace the Android logo with the Porsche crest. First step is to perform the backup which will extact the required updater application that can subsequently be used to change the boot animation. I'll give this a go at the weekend if I am feeling brave.What could possibly go wrong... says the man who bought two Erisin units after he bricked the first when experimenting!
You have what must be the biggest pair in the entire thread, Andy! Looking forward to the result of your experiment.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:10 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
Also very curious what @dav9515 thinks about the Isudar head unit. I'm trying to make a final decision between the 7-inch Isudar console or the CHSTEK 7862e. Any feedback on the Isudar install and functionality would be highly appreciated.
+1.
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:20 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Yeah I finally got my HU installed with my front/rear cam. i also did the backup (the backup script actually failed towards the end, but it did make a backup, but whether that backup works or not, no idea lol), tried the steering wheel control mod but unfortunately our Headunit firmware is newer, so that mod throws a big error banner at the top. I had to reflash it with the original ms.apk to get it back to working state.
I went through the list of stuff in that post, they are pretty useless. Even that FytHwOneKey app, it can only change the "Music" button, and nothing else on the Chstek unit. I guess it's nice to tinker it with some other mod. Will try some of the apps in that forum out when i get a chance.

One complaint i have with the CHSTEK is that it's wifi connection sux, i mean really sux. All my cars were able to connect to my home wifi, but this unit just couldn't see my home wifi AT ALL, 2.4G or 5.0G, nada. Even my robomower is able to connect to my home wifi from 50ft away. So I am not able to do remote ADB and had to have my laptop plugged into the USB to do some of these ****.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-30-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 03:03 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

You are way ahead of me if you have tried all that. Good to see the recovery process worked!

Have you tried updating your boot animation? That's the one thing I'd like to fix
Old 07-30-2024, 03:52 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

You are way ahead of me if you have tried all that. Good to see the recovery process worked!

Have you tried updating your boot animation? That's the one thing I'd like to fix
Not really. Haven't try the bootanimation update. I don't understand the instructions. The bootanimation.zip had a bunch of animation with Cayman/Boxster in it. I don't know if these are selectable once it's deployed.
I did the boot image update. The insruction about the "mycar" folder in the USB doesn't work on mine. I had to copy them into the "mycar" folder in the HU for it to show up.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-30-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:53 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Well, i kinda F'ed up the headunit lol. I couldn't find the CHSTEK firmware, so I reflashed it with some generic firmware. The headunit no longer switch to the camera view when in reverse. Can someone share their Canbus selection for a 991 in the Factory setting? The canbus setting I am seeing now doesn't look like what I saw previously, so I am guessing it might be the canbus options.

Got the canbus app updated so now i think it is now set to what it was. Looks like I might be missing a custom app for the CHSTEK.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-30-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:16 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Ahh... that's not good news.

I see you are gettng some help from the XDA guys, so I hope that helps you to recover your HU.

Hopefully CHSTEK will provide a copy of the correct firmware... but if not is there a safe way I can run a backup and extract the kernel for you from my unit?

Last edited by andy2111; 08-01-2024 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:48 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Ahh... that's not good news.

I see you are gettng some help from the XDA guys, so I hope that helps you tro recover your HU.

Hopefully CHSTEK will provide a copy of the correct firmware... but if not is there a safe way I can run a backup and extract the kernel for you from my unit?
Lol, yeah, sadly I think this unit is done for. It works but the rear view camera screen aren't showing anymore. Hopefully the seller I got from will be able to provide the original firmware.

Thanks for the offer to extract kernel. I was trying to find info how to do that but the only thing I see is that app backup script which only backup the AllAppUpdate.bin and not the 6315_1 kernel file. I think that's what I am missing.

My word of advise, forget about doing anything with firmware flashing it's pretty obvious the standard 6315_1 is not standard in these CHSTEK units. Most of the development over there is based on these Joying/Mekede units which I don't see any built for Porsche, so they are likely missing something. Maybe Joying does, so maybe I might give that a try later.

BTW, I forgot to mention how it all started. I went and try to restore the damn backup, and that damn backup file was corrupted, so it was stuck at the boot animation. I then follow the instructions to use any 6315_1 and that make it worse since it replaced the default kernel. If I had just use the generic AllAppUpdate.bin, i woildnt get myself in this sht hole. So another advise is the backup script doesn't work, so don't bother.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-31-2024 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:22 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

If you are up for a bit of experimenting in the spirit of building our knowledge, I think I understand the instructions for updating the boot animation. The XDA site says this:
Copy the lsec6315update binary and your bootanimation.zip and/or your LOGO.bmp onto a clean USB-stick and connect it to your unit. It will only flash your bootanimation and your boot logo.
Edit:
From what I read you need a clean USB with only lsec6315update and bootanimation.zip on it. There are updated boot animation zip files in the OneDrive folder where the installation guide is with a few things like the Porsche crest etc. I think you need to go into the folders e.g. >05 boot animation>bootanimation>generic where you'll find a series of zip files. Download the one you want and rename it as bootanimation.zip then copy to the USB stick. The videos on the top level folder are there to show you what the end result is to help you chose the folder to download..

Apologies if this is what you tried already.

If the XDA guys know how to extact the kernel then I am happy to try for you..

Last edited by andy2111; 07-31-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:44 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

If you are up for a bit of experimenting in the spirit of building our knowledge, I think I understand the instructions for updating the boot animation. The XDA site says this:
Copy the lsec6315update binary and your bootanimation.zip and/or your LOGO.bmp onto a clean USB-stick and connect it to your unit. It will only flash your bootanimation and your boot logo.
Edit:
From what I read you need a clean USB with only lsec6315update and bootanimation.zip on it. There are updated boot animation zip files in the OneDrive folder where the installation guide is with a few things like the Porsche crest etc. I think you need to go into the folders e.g. >05 boot animation>bootanimation>generic where you'll find a series of zip files. Download the one you want and rename it as bootanimation.zip then copy to the USB stick. The videos on the top level folder are there to show you what the end result is to help you chose the folder to download..

Apologies if this is what you tried already.

If the XDA guys know how to extact the kernel then I am happy to try for you..
I can try the bootanimation. I think I just need to copy it into the internal storage at some path, will let you know how that goes.
If i couldn't fix the rearview display, I'll be switching back to the PCM, or maybe I'll just live without having a rearview (but with a camera sticking out the back lol)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1