Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 03:20 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you set auto connect in car link app as in the picture I posted above?
Old 08-03-2024, 03:26 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz;[url=tel:19578729
19578729[/url]]One of the many settings will disable that second set of backup lines at the bottom of the screen. I think the top set are added by the factory camera, so you don't want the head unit to add anything else.
Thanks, already done!
Old 08-03-2024, 03:26 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
Did you set auto connect in car link app as in the picture I posted above?
yes
Old 08-03-2024, 03:30 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
Have you tried FYTHWOneKey to reassign the buttons? There's another app that replaces the factory ms.apk that allows even more button functionality. The first is easier to get working in general though.
Let me know if you figure how to reassign anything else other than the Music key.

The modified ms apk is now outdated, and sadly the dev passed. You don't want to try it with the CHSTEK, it will show an unathenticated error and you'll need to revert back your firmware.
Old 08-03-2024, 03:36 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Let me know if you figure how to reassign anything else other than the Music key.

The modified ms apk is now outdated, and sadly the dev passed. You don't want to try it with the CHSTEK, it will show an unathenticated error and you'll need to revert back your firmware.
I have a different FYT unit for my Macan (12.3" not by CHSTEK), so my experience will be different. We only have a few hardware keys and those can easily be assigned by the included MCU Key app. FYTHWOneKey is more powerful/flexible and may be able to help you. You may need the latest version that supports ADB commands, as demonstrated by Santirx in his YouTube video (again showing Macan hardware, but similar FYT platform).
Old 08-03-2024, 03:44 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

I have a different FYT unit for my Macan (12.3" not by CHSTEK), so my experience will be different. We only have a few hardware keys and those can easily be assigned by the included MCU Key app. FYTHWOneKey is more powerful/flexible and may be able to help you. You may need the latest version that supports ADB commands, as demonstrated by Santirx in his YouTube video (again showing Macan hardware, but similar FYT platform).
The problem is the FytHwOneKey only have a few specific button intents that it would listen and react to. The adb commands are just commands to execute after the app detects the intent.

MCU keyapp - I don't have steering wheel control sadly.

I just looked at the code, seems easy enough to add some new activity class for each buttons and define the intent on the android manifest file.

I don't have any android dev env setup, so unfortunately, will have to wait for someone that does 😂

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-03-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2024, 03:50 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
The problem is the FytHwOneKey only have a few specific button intents that it would listen and react to. The adb commands are just commands to execute after the app detects the intent.

I just looked at the code, seems easy enough to add some new activity class for each buttons and define the intent on the android manifest file.

I don't have any android dev env setup, so unfortunately, will have to wait for someone that does 😂
You might try asking the developer about adding more button options. He's no longer actively developing this tool though.

Sad news about the modded ms.apk dev. Too bad he didn't post the source.
Old 08-03-2024, 03:54 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

You might try asking the developer about adding more button options. He's no longer actively developing this tool though.

Sad news about the modded ms.apk dev. Too bad he didn't post the source.
Yeah, the FytHwOneKey was last update 2yrs ago. Generally I wouldn't bug them if they cease to update them anymore. But before I do that, I'll need to sniff the intents of our buttons. I might do that if I get time.

Really sad about the MS.apk dev. The app was is def very useful to switch between analog/canbus swc.
Old 08-04-2024, 05:11 AM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Android

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I saw the attached product when googling online. However I can't find any reference to it in the US. I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it? I would love to add CarPlay to my 2014 Turbo S. It would certainly be cheaper than paying $40k more to upgrade to a 2017.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
  • yes sir I have installed on my 2013 c2 cab works great I also added back up camera that also works great
Old 08-04-2024, 07:58 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
The only issue I now see with CarPlay is that if you accidentally use any of the hard key buttons, it kicks you out of CarPlay and back to Android mode. Android mode is limited because it is still thinks its connected to CarPlay. When I try to use Carlink to reconnect, it just stays in the verification process and won’t come back on unless I go into the iPhones CarPlay> forget device and then reinstall it.
So I found this on XDA

Whilst it's not specifically talking about the Chstek, the explanation above might explan the behaviour that you are seeing when you press a button that takes you out of Carlink - unfortunately they don't propose a solution!
Old 08-04-2024, 08:04 AM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zabuch
  • yes sir I have installed on my 2013 c2 cab works great I also added back up camera that also works great
I did the same and also very happy with mine.
Old 08-04-2024, 08:39 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by zabuch
@stealthpilot The NM Automotive solution is very good, but it involves opening up your PCM and installing a separate add-on circuit board, including relocating various ribbon cables. This can be tricky, and more than one member has caused damage to their PCM when doing it. If you go this route, I would suggest having the board professionally installed. The NM Automotive solution is functionally similar/identical to the Isudar board. There is a dedicated thread on Rennlist where you can find out more if you decide to go this way.

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Old 08-04-2024, 09:08 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
Whilst it's not specifically talking about the Chstek, the explanation above might explan the behaviour that you are seeing when you press a button that takes you out of Carlink - unfortunately they don't propose a solution!
Andy, thanks for checking. I actually read several pages from an XDA thread on this issue with another android unit. It appears that it is an issue with iPhone and android integration using zlink and I assume carlink works the same. I could not find a solution.

https://xdaforums.com/t/dasaita-px6-...eless.4132271/

I spent a good bit of time messing around with it yesterday once I got CarPlay finally working. This post perfectly describes what I am experiencing with my unit regardless of whether I use my iPhone or my wifes iPhone.

Mine appears to be making the connection fairly consistently but we will see what my wife says over the next couple of weeks. As long as I don’t touch any of the hard keys or the diamond button on the SWC, CarPlay appears to work fine.

When any of the hard keys are touched, the phone immediately switches out of carlink/apple CarPlay into android mode. The problem with just using android mode like this is that I only get Bluetooth music and phone and don’t have full access to google maps (navigation) and other apps without using the phone as a hotspot. It does not want to connect the phone as a hotspot because it is stuck trying to auto reconnect to carlink.

As above, it takes a lot of tinkering to get carlink to reconnect. When I open CarPlay on the phone, it sees both the android unit and carlink. CarPlay appears to prefer connecting to the android unit itself and not carlink. I keep trying to get CarPlay to forget the android unit, but it keeps popping back up. Frustrating…

However, the unit is such an upgrade from the original PCM, it is not a big deal if I can’t ever find a better solution. We have gotten used to CarPlay on our other cars and out of convenience for my wife who primarily drives the Macan I was trying to get this worked out because she absolutely hates troubleshooting technology.

We probably just need to get used to using the android interface which with the vivid launcher is pretty cool and easy. It gives a couple of options and I chose the one that looks and functions similar to CarPlay.

If she has issues this week, I will connect the unit to Bluetooth and then use the iPhone as a hotspot use the android interface.

Since I have not seen a much discussion on this thread about iPhone experience, I thought this might be helpful.
Old 08-04-2024, 12:13 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Wi-Fi must NOT be connected on the HU when using Android Auto or Carplay. Coonect the phone with Bluetooth to the HU. Carplay/AA establish their own Wi-Fi connection - if the HU is connected by Wi-Fi to a phone hotspot or a router, it will create connection issues.
The following users liked this post:
jadski (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 12:28 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jadski

If she has issues this week, I will connect the unit to Bluetooth and then use the iPhone as a hotspot use the android interface.
When I first installed the HU in my wife's Cayman, her intention was to use Android Auto all the time, as she had gotten used to it in other cars. Interestingly, after a while she asked me if she could be swapped over to the 'native' interface. Her main reason was that she had decided she preferred the full-fat versions of the apps, rather than the restricted versions AA and CP use. But she still wanted to have everything automated so that she could just switch on and go.

I created a Tasker task to enable a Wi-Fi hotspot on her phone as soon as Tasker detected the car's BT. Her phone automatically connected to BT of course when she turned on the car. So now, when she turns on the ignition, her phone automatically connects BT to the HU, Tasker runs and opens the hotspot on her phone, her navigation app opens and her music starts from where she left off. All without her intervention.

The first time it is necessary to connect the HU to the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot, but once done, the HU remembers it and connects automatically ever after. She has been running this configuration for weeks now, all without issues, and she prefers it to AA or CP. Following her lead, I tried it in my Panamera, but I prefer AA on my 12.3 inch widescreen so I reverted to that after a dcent trial period.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1