991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024 | 03:18 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Does anyone know if you lose the Sports Chrono display on the instrument panel with an aftermarket HU? I don't have SC but someone was asking on the 981 forums and I don't remember seeing anything about that here.
Old 07-17-2024 | 05:53 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drawz;[url=tel:19550832
19550832[/url]]If you can link to the actual item on Aliexpress (or wherever you've gotten it), we can help you more. If uses a harness adapter, that should allow the factory backup camera to work. You need another adapter
I purchased my unit from eBay, so hopefully I would have eBay motors protection and hopefully get it quicker

here’s a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31520918377...mis&media=COPY

also, I found this adapter on Amazon and was wondering if this would work for my back up camera?

also, this looks like the adapter that has been mentioned for GPS in the thread.

Can someone recommend T-connectors or any splice tools or connectors that they like. I just want to go ahead and order everything I might need for when the unit arrives.

The Macan is my wife’s and she is not happy that I fried her PCM. She’s pretty low maintenance and did not even mind her antiquated unit. It was more the kids and I that wanted an upgrade.
Old 07-18-2024 | 08:14 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Does anyone know if you lose the Sports Chrono display on the instrument panel with an aftermarket HU? I don't have SC but someone was asking on the 981 forums and I don't remember seeing anything about that here.
You don't lose it.
Old 07-18-2024 | 02:02 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jadski
I purchased my unit from eBay, so hopefully I would have eBay motors protection and hopefully get it quicker

here’s a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31520918377...mis&media=COPY

also, I found this adapter on Amazon and was wondering if this would work for my back up camera?

also, this looks like the adapter that has been mentioned for GPS in the thread.

Can someone recommend T-connectors or any splice tools or connectors that they like. I just want to go ahead and order everything I might need for when the unit arrives.

The Macan is my wife’s and she is not happy that I fried her PCM. She’s pretty low maintenance and did not even mind her antiquated unit. It was more the kids and I that wanted an upgrade.

I don't know what the full options are on the Aliexpress website for the Macan, but the memory and storage in the units on ebay are limited and the CPU choices are not the quickest and I don't think anyone else here has chosen that spec. The ebay listing does not appear to offer all the options shown in the full ad details.

I'm sure it'll work but I'd always recommend the highest spec you can get and sticking with a cpu choice where we have some collective experience as this can affect settings menu layout and configuration options

Given what you spent on it, personally I'd cancel or return it and buy a top spec version from aliexpress
Old 07-18-2024 | 02:27 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111

Given what you spent on it, personally I'd cancel or return it and buy a top spec version from aliexpress
well, I’m gonna follow your advice. I just canceled the eBay order and place an order on Aliexpress. I’ll send a picture of what I ordered once it’s complete.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024 | 02:31 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Hopefully you got the 7862 256+8GB model or the top spec qualcomn. Plus the MOST box you need for your Bose..
Old 07-18-2024 | 02:40 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

My only complaint about the QUALCOMM unit so far, is that it doesn't have wired carplay (beating a dead horse, i know), and i get audio drops here and there. (Even on downloaded music, so its not the streaming service)

My work around will be, downloading the spotify app, and actually downloading the music to the hard drive. Should get better sound too.
Old 07-18-2024 | 02:49 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's interesting but very strange.. All the units should be able to play music without dropouts. No problems on the 7862 using GoneMad player
Old 07-18-2024 | 03:30 PM
boxdriver
Racer

I have heard from other people in the past that have had wireless CP / AA issues. I think it has to do with the area you are in. Something is interfering with the signal from the phone to the HU. It is not specific to these HUs, it happens to factory units also in those areas. Salt Lake City area has been known to have those issues also.
Old 07-18-2024 | 03:32 PM
bmxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
My only complaint about the QUALCOMM unit so far, is that it doesn't have wired carplay (beating a dead horse, i know), and i get audio drops here and there. (Even on downloaded music, so its not the streaming service)

My work around will be, downloading the spotify app, and actually downloading the music to the hard drive. Should get better sound too.
I would probably go try get a replacement unit
Old 07-18-2024 | 03:38 PM
bmxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I have heard from other people in the past that have had wireless CP / AA issues. I think it has to do with the area you are in. Something is interfering with the signal from the phone to the HU. It is not specific to these HUs, it happens to factory units also in those areas. Salt Lake City area has been known to have those issues also.
+1, i get drop outs in AA in all my other cars with factory HU whenever I am in Downtown Seattle
Old 07-18-2024 | 04:08 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Default Phone won't connect

Hello gang,
Today I took the Boxster out for the first time in about a month (sad, but true). In doing so, my Erisin head unit refused to find my cell phone. The Bluetooth connected and I can make calls, but the AA won't connect. Any thoughts?

I seem to recall that when I did the install, the initial startup required me to use a wired connection, but I thought that was only initially. For grins, I connected both of the USB wires that I have sitting in my glove box to the phone but that did nothing. I can't recall if there's another wire somewhere that I can use for this.

But what's the deal? Why would it forget my phone? Out of sight, out of mind? LOL. This car is going to my vacation home, so this could be a recurring issue for me.

Help...

EDIT: I forgot that I connected the OEM USB so I just needed to connect the phone to the OEM USB in the glove box and the phone instantly connected. I powered down the car and back up without being plugged in and it connected wirelessly as usual.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-18-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2024 | 05:23 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I would probably go try get a replacement unit
Doesnt happen enough to go through all that tbh. This will be the last unit i use. If i change anything it would be back to the Stock PCM haha
Old 07-18-2024 | 06:35 PM
djdunzie
7th Gear

OK so that's the identical Chstek spec to me and also going into non-Bose/SPP. The problem is that the Chstek is outputting an amplified signal when the SPP wants a line level signal. The harness that I made per my post above worked on the Erisin and is fully reversible, BUT the Chstek only has line out RCAs for the front speakers (whereas the Erisin has rear RCAs too), so you'd lose the rears in your car if you tried that.

You can get rid of the Android logo display, but it's a bit involved and you need to be either IT savvy, or brave.. See page 33 of the guide under "boot animation", even though it says its for the Erisin it should work the same on the Chstek (there are 2 images displayed on startup; the boot logo and then the boot animation, and it's only the first one that you can change in the HU settings).

In theory it will allow you to swap the Android logo for an image of your choice so you could boot up with the OEM silhouette of your car and then have a Porsche crest, or similar. You will find the boot animation files in the same place as the guide.
Originally Posted by ZedZed
In addition to Andy's reply - it is theoretically possible to remove both the boot logo and the boot animation. It is quite easy to swap the logo for one of your choosing, as Andy says. However, to change the boot animation is much more difficult and, worse, it seems to be different for different models of HU, so it is not easy to give guidance. The purpose of the boot animation is to show that something is happening during the time it takes to boot. This is considered better than a blank screen, which is what you would otherwise get. You can't eliminate the boot time of course.

I managed to change the boot animation on my Panamera. What happens is the unit first displays the word PORSCHE in logo, white on black. Then it switches to the animation, which runs for about 11 seconds (the boot time) and then Android Auto opens up. But it was a long, hard road and took hours (literally) of research and work. TBH, I wonder if it is worth the effort.

I can't upload video to Rennlist, but this Dropbox link works, if you want to check it out. Remember that my Panamera HU screen is 12.3 inches wide.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ph9d8...18rthm2n2&dl=0

* I could not have done this without guidance from member @Santirx who did all the research and pioneering on this. Despite the guidance, it still took me hours, but that is just me
Thanks both, you've been so helpful throughout this thread! I'll just deal with the boot screen for now and hopefully I can ignore my OCD...

Originally Posted by Joec500
There are settings in the CHSTEK unit to toggle to AHD camera. ALSO check the instructions on your camera, sometimes you have to cut certain wires (mine did) to enable AHD on the camera itself.
I'm either completely oblivious or this setting appeared a few days ago; either way found it and yes you were correct the camera needed a wire cut to enable AHD. All is good now and I finally have a working HD reverse camera, yay! A bit too fisheye for my taste, might switch it out down the road but it's all back together for now.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024 | 07:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I'm sure it'll work but I'd always recommend the highest spec you can get and sticking with a cpu choice where we have some collective experience as this can affect settings menu layout and configuration options

@jadski I agree with Andy. 6GB+64GB is a skimpy spec. Carplay and Androind Auto will run in 6GB of RAM, but 8GB will enable the unit to run faster and to multitask better. Also, as CP and AA get updated over time, they invariably seem to need more and more RAM, so you are future-proofing your unit by getting a higher spec. If you only intend to run Carplay or AA, 64GB of storage is OK, but if you want to make full use of the unit, it isn't enough IMO. I would suggest 8GB+256GB, octacore and the same processor that the rest of the CHSTEK guys recommend.

I'd go along with Andy's suggestion tocancel or return the eBay unit and order from Ali Express. Andy can provide a link where he ordered his from.

EDIT: I just saw your post saying you;d ordered from Ali. Way to go!

Last edited by ZedZed; 07-18-2024 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1