Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 04:48 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi everyone,

I’m excited to announce the publication of the CHSTEK 7862 installation and configuration guide.

This latest work builds on the foundations of our first guide, but now focusses specifically on the CHSTEK 7862 because it is (currently) the unit that everyone is buying and asking questions about.

There’s lots of new content to help first time installers and likely some info that existing CHSTEK users will find interesting, especially on settings and system menus. Highlights include:
  • Buying guidance
  • Tools and adapters required for the installation
  • Configuring Bose and SPP audio
  • Initial configuration and settings
  • Backup cameras for PDK and manual
  • Quick reference guide to all the system menus
  • And lots more..
There are a few items still to add, but please take a look and let us have your feedback.

If you see anything wrong or missing then please provide as much info as possible, including screenshots if applicable, to help minimise the workload in keeping the guide up to date.

Enjoy!

Andy2111 ZedZed and Ratt359

The CHSTEK 7862 guide can be found in the Guides folder here and in my signature below
The following 7 users liked this post by andy2111:
MaxBlack (07-31-2024), Natural1 (07-31-2024), ralphsmit (08-01-2024), ratt359 (07-31-2024), softsand (08-04-2024), StanfordBear (07-31-2024), ZedZed (08-01-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-31-2024, 05:57 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

Hey, Andy, Zed, and Ratt - thanks so much for all the work, expertise, experimentation, and sharing of knowledge! Lots of smart people that took a lot of time to help out the community. Great work and thank you!
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
andy2111 (07-31-2024), ratt359 (07-31-2024), ZedZed (08-01-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:39 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
If you are up for a bit of experimenting in the spirit of building our knowledge, I think I understand the instructions for updating the boot animation. The XDA site says this:
Copy the lsec6315update binary and your bootanimation.zip and/or your LOGO.bmp onto a clean USB-stick and connect it to your unit. It will only flash your bootanimation and your boot logo.
Edit:
From what I read you need a clean USB with only lsec6315update and bootanimation.zip on it. There are updated boot animation zip files in the OneDrive folder where the installation guide is with a few things like the Porsche crest etc. I think you need to go into the folders e.g. >05 boot animation>bootanimation>generic where you'll find a series of zip files. Download the one you want and rename it as bootanimation.zip then copy to the USB stick. The videos on the top level folder are there to show you what the end result is to help you chose the folder to download..

Apologies if this is what you tried already.

If the XDA guys know how to extact the kernel then I am happy to try for you..
I got a copy of firmware and I included the bootanimation per your instruction into the root folder and it flashed it fine.
Bad news is my rearview camera screen still won't show up. I think this thing just kicked the bucket. I'll check with the reseller to see if there's any special setting. If I can't get it to work, I'll be removing it this weekend.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:42 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I got a copy of firmware and I included the bootanimation per your instruction into the root folder and it flashed it fine.
Bad news is my rearview camera screen still won't show up. I think this thing just kicked the bucket. I'll check with the reseller to see if there's any special setting. If I can't get it to work, I'll be removing it this weekend.
I finally got it to work again. Had to remove the PCM fuse to force a full reboot. Also I noticed if I disabled this "Local Radar Switch" in factory settings, the rear view display disappears. So keep this ON, or if anyone can try to see if it behaves the same as mine when OFF.

The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 02:45 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

That's awesome news, well done for persevering and for finally fixing it. Is there a copy of the firmware online so we save it or make a reference to it in the new guide?

Good news about the boot animation, I will try it at the weekend. Is there a menu option to kick off the flashing process, or does it auto start once the USB is inserted?
Old 08-01-2024, 03:05 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's awesome news, well done for persevering and for finally fixing it. Is there a copy of the firmware online so we save it or make a reference to it in the new guide?

Good news about the boot animation, I will try it at the weekend. Is there a menu option to kick off the flashing process, or does it auto start once the USB is inserted?
I'll send the seller link to your PM later, and you can download and add them to that OneDrive folder. It's a 2GB file.

The bootanimation gets installed like a regular lsec flash, so it starts once the OS detects it (a popup will show and u can click start or wait until the countdown finishes)
andy2111 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:56 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I finally got it to work again. Had to remove the PCM fuse to force a full reboot. Also I noticed if I disabled this "Local Radar Switch" in factory settings, the rear view display disappears. So keep this ON, or if anyone can try to see if it behaves the same as mine when OFF.
Great job. @andy2111 - this info probably should be added to the Guide. It never occurred to me that turning off the radar proximity sensors might also turn off the rear camera. Most people will want the proximity sensors to be on, I'd guess, so this behaviour may have never otherwise been noted. Good catch by @bmxtreme . It's similar to remembering that having the parking brake engaged can also disable the rear camera. That one caught me the first time, and it was only by accident that I discovered the problem.

The other good takeaway from this post is that removing the PCM fuse, waiting a little while for the system memory to drain, and then reinserting the fuse is the only certain way to reboot these units. Simply disconnecting the quadlock doesn't seem to be enough. (and pulling the fuse is easier anyway).

What a terrific store of knowledge this thread is! And one of the few that has managed thousands of posts without descending into bickering and snarkiness.
MaxBlack (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 10:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hey, Andy, Zed, and Ratt - thanks so much for all the work, expertise, experimentation, and sharing of knowledge! Lots of smart people that took a lot of time to help out the community. Great work and thank you!
Thanks buddy. Andy and Ratt have done the heavy lifting on the CHSTEK version of the Guide, since I have no direct, hands-on experience with it, although I am able to contribute on general matters which are common to all of these Android units. I am very much looking forward, as you are, to the first hands-on review of the Isudar head unit. Isudar have a lot of Carplay/Android Auto experience gained with their add-on board solution, so their first 'real' head unit holds some promise, I hope. Meanwhile, the terrific CHSTEK Guide makes the choice of that unit a reliable one.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:42 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

I am wondering if the need to remove the fuse is due to the Canbus module being powered on indefinitely? Does anyone have pictures of how the canbus is wired? Wish I have taken some pictures.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:08 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Can’t thank you guys enough. My unit just arrived and I hope to do the install tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes and if I can get the OEM camera working with the chstek
Old 08-01-2024, 02:02 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't responded but I wanted to try and work through some issues before posting. I received the Isudar radio and installed it, overall it's a nice looking headunit, I'd say similar to the Erison with the exception the button layout looks more OEM in orientation. As soon as i turned it on i couldn't believe the improvement in sound quality and volume/loudness, much improved over OEM and actually makes the Bose sound acceptable.

Now onto the issues:

1. The mic on the front of the radio doesn't seem to be working, I have to connect the wired Mic for anyone to be able to hear me on the phone. I did that and it works but the quality of audio for the person I'm speaking to isn't good. I can hear everything fine but I sound muffled or distant to them. I messaged Isudar and after a couple setting recommendations they said "the mic on the front of your unit may not be working"

2. The button color - the color was stuck in this annoying loop of rainbow rotation every few seconds, the menu settings didn't help and everything Isudar support told me to do didn't work. Apparently all I had to do is push in the right hand **** to cycle through the colors and get it to stay on one. Seems Isudar didn't know this either, but there still remains an issue where I can choose between a few main colors (blue, red, green, purple, light blue) but the adjustment to fine tune the color via a sliding color scale doesn't seem to be working. All that means is the button color doesn't match the interior lighting at all.

3. and the biggest issue...you guessed it, the backup camera! It didn't work at all, the radio wouldn't even try to go into a reverse view at all when in reverse gear. I have been emailing Isudar twice a day to try and get this resolved, after many setting changes and "try this, try that" didn't work they concluded it's not working in my car because I don't have steering wheel controls and the car is a manual transmission. So they sent me instructions to splice two wires together giving power to the reverse wire since the manual transmission sends the signal a different way. So I did it, skeptical as I was, but plugged it all back in and bam the back up camera works....so why am I not happy you ask... because now the back up camera works but nothing else does. The splicing of the wires seems to make the radio think the backup camera is always engaged and it will now not show any other screen. I can't access carplay, radio, settings, nothing.

So I have another email into Isudar support waiting for a response that I know won't come until tomorrow. the waiting kills me and having to document sending pictures and video of every issue is frustrating. With that said, IF they get this backup camera situation corrected I do like the radio looks and sound performance so far. The apple carplay has been quick to boot up and connect although the only "issue" i've had is since it uses wifi/bluetooth to run carplay when I'm at my house connected to my home network and it has to disconnect from that to connect to carplay it does take time for an app like Amazon music to display correctly. I get a "cannot load music" from Amazon Music app on the radio and I have to go into already downloaded songs for it to start working. After that it's fine and seemingly when I'm not connected to my home network it doesn't happen.

I will upload pics and and update once I figure out the current issue. This is a midway update here but wanted to provide some info. Feel free to ask questions!

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by dav9515:
Porsche_nuts (08-01-2024), StanfordBear (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 03:10 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dav9515
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't responded but I wanted to try and work through some issues before posting. I received the Isudar radio and installed it, overall it's a nice looking headunit, I'd say similar to the Erison with the exception the button layout looks more OEM in orientation. As soon as i turned it on i couldn't believe the improvement in sound quality and volume/loudness, much improved over OEM and actually makes the Bose sound acceptable.

Now onto the issues:

1. The mic on the front of the radio doesn't seem to be working, I have to connect the wired Mic for anyone to be able to hear me on the phone. I did that and it works but the quality of audio for the person I'm speaking to isn't good. I can hear everything fine but I sound muffled or distant to them. I messaged Isudar and after a couple setting recommendations they said "the mic on the front of your unit may not be working"

2. The button color - the color was stuck in this annoying loop of rainbow rotation every few seconds, the menu settings didn't help and everything Isudar support told me to do didn't work. Apparently all I had to do is push in the right hand **** to cycle through the colors and get it to stay on one. Seems Isudar didn't know this either, but there still remains an issue where I can choose between a few main colors (blue, red, green, purple, light blue) but the adjustment to fine tune the color via a sliding color scale doesn't seem to be working. All that means is the button color doesn't match the interior lighting at all.

3. and the biggest issue...you guessed it, the backup camera! It didn't work at all, the radio wouldn't even try to go into a reverse view at all when in reverse gear. I have been emailing Isudar twice a day to try and get this resolved, after many setting changes and "try this, try that" didn't work they concluded it's not working in my car because I don't have steering wheel controls and the car is a manual transmission. So they sent me instructions to splice two wires together giving power to the reverse wire since the manual transmission sends the signal a different way. So I did it, skeptical as I was, but plugged it all back in and bam the back up camera works....so why am I not happy you ask... because now the back up camera works but nothing else does. The splicing of the wires seems to make the radio think the backup camera is always engaged and it will now not show any other screen. I can't access carplay, radio, settings, nothing.

So I have another email into Isudar support waiting for a response that I know won't come until tomorrow. the waiting kills me and having to document sending pictures and video of every issue is frustrating. With that said, IF they get this backup camera situation corrected I do like the radio looks and sound performance so far. The apple carplay has been quick to boot up and connect although the only "issue" i've had is since it uses wifi/bluetooth to run carplay when I'm at my house connected to my home network and it has to disconnect from that to connect to carplay it does take time for an app like Amazon music to display correctly. I get a "cannot load music" from Amazon Music app on the radio and I have to go into already downloaded songs for it to start working. After that it's fine and seemingly when I'm not connected to my home network it doesn't happen.

I will upload pics and and update once I figure out the current issue. This is a midway update here but wanted to provide some info. Feel free to ask questions!

Thanks
Thanks @dav9515 for the very helpful initial impressions on the Isudar radio. I similarly heard from one of my friends that the sound quality from it was very impressive. I think I am going to give the unit a try myself since I like the OEM look of it.

Question on the install: Did you have to tap the Red/Yellow/Black wires off of the included amplifier MOST decoder box to the unit's harness wires? If so, do you happen to know the wire gauge? Was it 16g? I want to pick up the appropriate Posi-Taps in advance.

Much appreciated and please keep updating how your issue resolution with Isudar support is coming along.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:34 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

I did not have to tap into any wires, ordering with the MOST decoder box it comes already wired into the harness they provided. All I needed to do was to remove the Fiber Optic Connector from the quad lock and plug it into the MOST decoder box. Super simple.
StanfordBear (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 03:57 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

I did not have to tap into any wires, ordering with the MOST decoder box it comes already wired into the harness they provided. All I needed to do was to remove the Fiber Optic Connector from the quad lock and plug it into the MOST decoder box. Super simple.
Do you have a manual or PDK? Might need to energize the brown wire to have the reverse display show up.

I agree with the sound quality. I have the CHSTEK, once I installed, I can't believe the FM Radio could sound so good.
StanfordBear (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 04:06 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for clarifying that! I just ordered the Isudar and look forward to giving it a try.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1