Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 03:01 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
well I tried connecting audio out L/R to the harness of the quad connectors which are labeled aux in and that didn’t work. I also tried connecting the connectors labeled aux to each other, but no luck. I’m out of ideas
Have you got an old speaker with the cable attached so you can touch the wires to the poles of an audio out RCA to see if you can hear anything? It'll be quiet as its a line level output but it will at least indicate if the HU is creating sound...

I'll try mine next weekend.. We need someone else with a non Bose unit to do an install to determine if this is a common issue or a fault with your HU..
Old 05-19-2024, 03:09 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So pin 16 is empty but then when I look at the connector on the dash side it is also empty there. The little Pin labeled "amp on" in the diagra above seems to be there....

Last edited by potxoli; 05-19-2024 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:35 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

So pin 16 is empty but then when I look at the connector on the dash side it is also empty there. The little Pin labeled "amp on" in the diagra above seems to be there....
That pin is likely to be the one for powering the amp then! I think this is a long shot TBH since in a non-Bose system there is nothing the user should need to do to get sound - just connecting the quadlock should connect the audio output to the amp. This is how it has worked in the Erisin units and I can't see any reason why CHSTEK would be different. After all, they know that people want sound and it is inconceivable that they would be selling units that can not deliver it. So the question is, what is going on with your unit that is preventing sound?

My first step in troubleshooting if it were my car would be to check that the amp is getting power. If it isn't then the cause of the problem immediately becomes clear. If it is and there is still no sound, it gives us a clue as to where to look next. Successful troubleshooting is always a one-step-at-a-time iterative process. Andy's idea is a good one to troubleshoot the problem from the other end. I would use my DMM to check for a current at the pins with a known source playing content and the volume all the way up. If there is current on the pins and the amp has power, then there is a break somewhere in the wiring.

I am not familiar with the CHSTEK unit, but are you 100% sure that there are no audio settings that need to be checked? Audio settings seem to be found in various different menus - check each and every one of them and make sure that their gain is turned to max (for the purposes of the test). There may be a setting that needs to be checked to turn the amplifier on, so look for that as well.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:42 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2111
Have you got an old speaker with the cable attached so you can touch the wires to the poles of an audio out RCA to see if you can hear anything? It'll be quiet as its a line level output but it will at least indicate if the HU is creating sound...

I'll try mine next weekend.. We need someone else with a non Bose unit to do an install to determine if this is a common issue or a fault with your HU..
i just did this using the RCA wiring loom and attaching the audio out L/R to a home theater receiver with some speakers. Radio worked fine!!!

in terms of settings I’ve played with all the obvious ones, but there is a couple of menus that require a PIN code to get in…
Old 05-19-2024, 04:56 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

i just did this using the RCA wiring loom and attaching the audio out L/R to a home theater receiver with some speakers. Radio worked fine!!!

in terms of settings I’ve played with all the obvious ones, but there is a couple of menus that require a PIN code to get in…
So it is the amp in the car that's not being powered on then it seems. I'd still check the amp for power even though it seems likely it isn't getting any, from your test. (Assuming it's not just a setting).
Old 05-19-2024, 05:01 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Can you plug the PCM back in to check all is still working as normal? That would confirm if the amp wakes up and would isolate the issue to the new HU.

Does the OEM amp have a fuse...?!
Old 05-19-2024, 06:00 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Enthusiast!
Just finished installing CHSTEK this morning, it’s a dream, I have to say 1 of the best mod for my 911(my opinion).
My Erisin is for sale now (2 months old) for $99 free shipping 🤣.
I have Bose system but CHSTEK doesn’t have a harness to hook up 3 wires from Most box!
So I have to do this to have sounds (hopefully it’s ok)

I did test front and back camera they are all working( not run cables yet)
Front cam hook up

Please chime in if you have better ideas.
Connecting OEM Fakra so I have USB in my center console working

Everything is worked but my SWC(needs to play around)
Im not gonna make it without you guys, especially Zed!
Thank you very much.
Cheers!

Please be careful when you fit in this CHSTEK on the top right, top left corner and bottom , it’s very tight (I crashed my leather on the top right a bit and have to use leather conditioner to make it look like cognac again).

The following 2 users liked this post by Haidang:
q8linux (05-19-2024), ratt359 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 06:04 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Ok I think I found the problem! The pin for turning in the amp is a blue wire that goes nowhere. It was hidden in the harness and I overlooked it. I need to tap power somewhere to turn the amp on when the key is turned on. Any ideas??

Old 05-19-2024, 06:38 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haidang
Hey Enthusiast!
Just finished installing CHSTEK this morning, it’s a dream, I have to say 1 of the best mod for my 911(my opinion).
My Erisin is for sale now (2 months old) for $99 free shipping 🤣.
I have Bose system but CHSTEK doesn’t have a harness to hook up 3 wires from Most box!
So I have to do this to have sounds (hopefully it’s ok)
This is very helpful! so is the red wire out of the harness switched +12V? If I tap into that for my AMP ON wire, it should turn it on I think?? I need to get some of those taps...

Old 05-19-2024, 06:53 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

This is very helpful! so is the red wire out of the harness switched +12V? If I tap into that for my AMP ON wire, it should turn it on I think?? I need to get some of those taps...
Yes.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:44 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Success! I tapped the blue wire into the red wire and now I have sound! (see below) Actually now, I'm on to the next problem that the volume is insanely loud - on a scale from 1-30, I can't get past 5 without it being too loud... I did not see any obvious setting to control this. Only thing that works is to use the equalizer to lower the frequency bands across the board, but that seems like a hack. One thing is that when I took out the PCM, right before I disconnected, by mistake I cranked up the volume and then disconnect. I've read that Bose seems to remember the last PCM setting, but I don't have Bose. I guess I can try putting the PCM back in and turn the volume down before disconnecting. Any other ideas?

Old 05-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Success! I tapped the blue wire into the red wire and now I have sound! (see below) Actually now, I'm on to the next problem that the volume is insanely loud - on a scale from 1-30, I can't get past 5 without it being too loud... I did not see any obvious setting to control this. Only thing that works is to use the equalizer to lower the frequency bands across the board, but that seems like a hack. One thing is that when I took out the PCM, right before I disconnected, by mistake I cranked up the volume and then disconnect. I've read that Bose seems to remember the last PCM setting, but I don't have Bose. I guess I can try putting the PCM back in and turn the volume down before disconnecting. Any other ideas?

Awesome Potxoli!
Happy you figured it out.
”Volume insanely loud “ it happened to me this morning, I recall I had to go to”factory setting” password 3368 then adjust it.
Hope this help.
The following users liked this post:
potxoli (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:14 AM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Next trouble shoot. Has anyone been able to get data directly with a data sim. I installed a data sim today and the unit didn’t recognize it. I know the sim works as it works with my hotspot device.
I checked for settings to activate it, but couldn’t find anything.

Old 05-20-2024, 04:04 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Next trouble shoot. Has anyone been able to get data directly with a data sim. I installed a data sim today and the unit didn’t recognize it. I know the sim works as it works with my hotspot device.
I checked for settings to activate it, but couldn’t find anything.
Check with your carrier. I don't think SIMs work in head units, only phones, as I had the same issue on my unit (Penhui) and that is what my carrier told me.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:07 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I have a data only SIM working fine in my Erisin HU. I'm in the UK in case there are regional differences in how SIMs behave.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1