Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 09:34 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

@Joec500 Great work on the reverse camera wiring! After looking at the wiring diagram that you included, if the red/blue wire doesn't work (it might not be a 12+ switch), then the blue/black wire should be the best bet to tap into.

I'm wondering if the manual car can be coded to have a backup camera with a PIWIS? This might energize the brown wire and allow the backup camera to stay on after switching to a forward direction until a certain speed like the factory camera is set up.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:01 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

A few thoughts post installation.

User guide/splash screen: Thanks again to @ratt359 for putting together the guide /files on post #2700 above. I suspect that a few of you will want to consult after getting HU installed. I was able to use the guide to unlock the factory menu and enable the radar display so you know what corner of the car is close to an obstruction not just when backing up. I used my front sensors quite a bit when parking in the garage. Now that is unlocked and working! I also grabbed the splash screen image and added borders using ms paint to fit the aspect ratio of the screen. Unfortunately, my splash screen is only up for a 1/2 second when the HU is booting. The downsides of a FAST processor. LOL! The splash screen doesnt work 100% of the time as the HU will boot into the terrestrial radio etc. I loaded it as part of the vivid launcher so maybe that is my problem?

Vivid launcher: I think its my favorite launcher but honestly, I am annoyed with the widget cards. They cant be customized and block the Porsche crest wallpaper that I got from @ratt359 files too. The map card is small and music card is huge. ...and who needs a speedo card? I might just forget the cards and go to the application screen. I can see more crest wallpaper! With that said, Vivid is an upgrade for what came stock and best option with my limited searching. I think android auto layout is the best for now. If anyone knows if there is a pro version of Vivid or a way to customize those cards, please let me know. At least it lets you add the tray of important applications at the bottom. I like that. You can quickly get to android auto, radio, exit etc. Thats really nice.

Plastic shims between HU and air vent: You know those black plastic shim/spacers that fit between the air vents and HU? The CHSTEK unit is annoyingly thin and will not hold those spacers like the PCM does. I tried inserting the shims on the airvent, but the fit is not good and stresses the air vent plastic. Did anyone figure out a good solution? I was thinking of RTV or hot glue to hold the shims? Maybe you didnt install them?
Old 05-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I saw the attached product when googling online. However I can't find any reference to it in the US. I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it? I would love to add CarPlay to my 2014 Turbo S. It would certainly be cheaper than paying $40k more to upgrade to a 2017.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
I've seen a few aftermarket options that work well with certain car models. For the Porsche 991.1, you might find kits from brands like Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood that can be used for a retrofit. Another good option for Porsche cars is the PCM upgrade kit, made specifically to add CarPlay to older models.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:44 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90

Vivid launcher: I think its my favorite launcher but honestly, I am annoyed with the widget cards. They cant be customized and block the Porsche crest wallpaper that I got from @ratt359 files too. The map card is small and music card is huge. ...and who needs a speedo card? I might just forget the cards and go to the application screen. I can see more crest wallpaper! With that said, Vivid is an upgrade for what came stock and best option with my limited searching. I think android auto layout is the best for now. If anyone knows if there is a pro version of Vivid or a way to customize those cards, please let me know. At least it lets you add the tray of important applications at the bottom. I like that. You can quickly get to android auto, radio, exit etc. Thats really nice.
Glad you found the images useful.

Agree re: widget cards, but TBH I only use Vivid as a launcher for stuff - and I like having the icon bar above the hard buttons. The exception is the music widget for HU-based music control, as it allows multiple sources inc VLC.

I tend to run Magic Earth for nav and then have CarPlay for audio. Pressing the NAV button toggles between your chosen nav app and the last used screen (e.g. CarPlay). That's all I need when I'm driving. The right k-n-o-b is a quick track back/skip.

Last edited by ratt359; 05-23-2024 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tj90 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
@Joec500 I noticed you had the Mr12V and now the CHSTEK, how do they compare SQ wise? Happy with the move to CHSTEK?
NOTHING SCIENTIFIC, but I felt that the wireless carplay in the MR12volt sounded a bit better (maybe it's the eq), but nothing drastic. BUT last night I ran the android native apps (no carplay) and I thought the sound improved noticeably. I am actually trying to run all the apps native in my car using a data sim through a hotspot (I couldn't get the integrated sim slot to work)

My main apps are Spotify, and Waze - So I found running them native on the HU is better than carplay and it seems to improve the SQ as well.
ralphsmit (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 02:02 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxdriver
@Joec500 Great work on the reverse camera wiring! After looking at the wiring diagram that you included, if the red/blue wire doesn't work (it might not be a 12+ switch), then the blue/black wire should be the best bet to tap into.

I'm wondering if the manual car can be coded to have a backup camera with a PIWIS? This might energize the brown wire and allow the backup camera to stay on after switching to a forward direction until a certain speed like the factory camera is set up.
Other NOTE: When I had the NM Automotive carplay solution, the backup camera and lines worked without tapping that backup light. So there must be a CAN signal for reverse in manual cars that theses Chinese companies are not using.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:25 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Also I find these taps priceless for tapping wires in our cars. What's nice is they can be removed with minimal damage to the wires. I used these to tap the ground wire as I was probing wires for the reverse switch.

NOTE: for my SQ opinions I run an aftermarket amp. I am running the pure analog outputs from the unit into a DSP out to my amplifiers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joec500:
q8linux (05-23-2024), ratt359 (05-23-2024), tj90 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 03:23 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Not that we should blindly trust Chstek but I asked a follow up question about powering the reverse camera.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:36 PM
jimmykhs
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potxoli
Hi There everyone. I found the setting that @haidang was talking about, it has a slider per input and I set them all to zero. Still pretty loud only 5-6 clicks in on the volume, but better and my EQ hack is helping. *However* I received a phone call for the first time and the ringer tone nearly gave me a heart attack! I looked for a setting for that one, but could not find one, but there are so many settings, I might have missed it. Anyone find anything for this?k
For lowering the overall volume, I went to Setting -> Device -> Power Conditioning and lowered the slider (I have it set to 15 for now). Now I can actually turn the volume k-n-0-b by more than 4 clicks without blowing out my ears! Hehe

As for relative volume between sources, it seems to be at Setting -> Factory -> 3368 -> Volume Balance Setting, but I haven't messed around with it too much to test it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmykhs:
potxoli (05-24-2024), ratt359 (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 03:44 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Originally Posted by mamick
Not that we should blindly trust Chstek but I asked a follow up question about powering the reverse camera.
I think they are correct for PDK cars, but I tested with my volt meter that for manual cars (at least mine 2013) - nothing comes out of it in reverse.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:49 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
Other NOTE: When I had the NM Automotive carplay solution, the backup camera and lines worked without tapping that backup light. So there must be a CAN signal for reverse in manual cars that theses Chinese companies are not using.
@Joec500 when you had the NM Automotive system running, did your reverse camera stay on then you started going forward until you hit a certain MPH, or did it go off as soon as you took the car out of reverse?
Old 05-23-2024, 04:01 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxdriver
@Joec500 when you had the NM Automotive system running, did your reverse camera stay on then you started going forward until you hit a certain MPH, or did it go off as soon as you took the car out of reverse?
It turned off as soon as I took it out of gear.
sletcher (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 04:49 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
It turned off as soon as I took it out of gear.
Then I don't think it is in the CANBUS on yours. When I added my reverse camera on my car a few years ago, they sent me something to plug into my obd2 port. I think that was to program my car into knowing it had the camera. My camera stays on until I hit a certain speed just like the factory ones. I am hoping that this will make the brown wire live on my car while in reverse like the automatics. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test my theory for another week or two as I will be away. Hopefully my new unit will get delivered when I am away, and then I can install and test it when I get back.
The thing that really gets me is why Porsche would have the automatic and manual cars set up differently. It sounds like the brown wires are live in reverse on automatics whether they came with the camera or not (do we know for sure if this is the case?). Why not the manuals also?
Hopefully people can chime in on whether they have the automatic or the manual, if their car came with or without the factory camera, and if their brown wire is live in reverse. Then we can know for sure what is going on, and the kind enthusiasts who are creating the quick start guide can put that knowledge in there for future users.
The following 2 users liked this post by boxdriver:
andy2111 (05-24-2024), ratt359 (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 05:04 PM
Joec500
Drifting

For the record my car is a 2013 and didn’t have a an oem camera.

I am not saying it even takes a specific "OEM backup camera" canbus signal, but perhaps takes another canbus signal that's tied to the car being in a reverse state?

Whatever they are grabbing, allows the unit to work with a manual car without tapping any additional wires. (NM Automotive unit)

Last edited by Joec500; 05-23-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:12 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

I installed my Erisin Head Unit (HU) yesterday. Pretty straightforward. I do want to look info an adapter to be able to use the OEM mic one day. But right now. I have two questions:

How do I change the temp to display in F vs C?

And most importantly, backup camera is not working. Here's what's going on:

When I put the car in R (manual) I get power out which turns on the camera's LED lights, but as for video, nothing happens. Specifically, the HU doesn't change. It's not like the HU changes to the backup cam screen and there's no picture, rather, the HU doesn't seem to do anything when I'm reverse (yet the backup camera power wire does switch on as I said)

Thoughts?

This is my backup camera.

License Plate Backup Camera HD Night Vision Rear View Camera with 8 LEDs 170° Viewing Angle Waterproof Backup Rear Camera for Cars https://a.co/d/iokusam

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1